PDA

View Full Version : How much do you spend on everything hair?

freckles
August 4th, 2012, 03:53 AM
I recently started paying more attention to my money/budgeting etc, and I'm really trying to work out how much I should allow myself for hair. I don't spend a lot on it, but since I've never paid that much attention to money spent on specific things in the past, I really have NO idea how much that 'not much' is! :lol:

I started tracking all my expenditure in June, and so far I haven't bought anything hair yet. But I'm curious what a 'reasonable' expenditure for all my hair is, and then I got curious how much everyone here at LHC spends :)

So how much do you spend on EVERYTHING -- shampoo, conditioner, dye, henna, hairtoys, salon visits, deep treatments, new equipment for styling methods, etc? Curious how much it averages out to over a month or year for everyone here -- and I would love to see the full range of expenditure so don't be shy if you think you spend too little or too much :D

lmfbs
August 4th, 2012, 03:59 AM
So far this year I've spent NZ$138. That was $34 on hairtoys, $37 on henna and the rest was coconut oil (NZ$9) and conditioner. The other things I use in my hair like honey and EVOO come out of my kitchen so I don't consider them part of my hair budget.

EDIT - that works out at just under $20 a month.

I self trim, so no expenses there. Generally my hair is quite low maintenance.

silverthread
August 4th, 2012, 04:50 AM
So far this year I've spent NZ$138. That was $34 on hairtoys, $37 on henna and the rest was coconut oil (NZ$9) and conditioner. The other things I use in my hair like honey and EVOO come out of my kitchen so I don't consider them part of my hair budget.

EDIT - that works out at just under $20 a month.

I self trim, so no expenses there. Generally my hair is quite low maintenance.

My expenditures come out to an average of $12/month. I have a feeling it would be more if my hair were longer.

lmfbs
August 4th, 2012, 04:53 AM
My expenditures come out to an average of $12/month. I have a feeling it would be more if my hair were longer.

I think it's difficult to compare, in New Zealand, things are more expensive - VO5 here is about $5-6, whereas in the US it's 99c.

I'm definitely spending less than I was with shorter hair. I use more conditioner a month, but I use cheaper stuff so overall it still costs me way less.

Venefica
August 4th, 2012, 04:54 AM
Keep in mind here that prices in Norway are extreme. I spend 17 dollars a month on shampoo, conditioner and hair cure. A few times a year I have to buy bio silk, almond oil and Moroccan oil, the oils cost about 30 dollars or so per bottle. Every other month I have my bangs trimmed that cost about 7 bucks, I also dye my hair every other month and the dye cost me about 15 bucks though I save money by dying my hair at home. I go to the hairdresser for a trim once a year and that cost about 20 bucks. Now as for hair toys I think the average is about 50 dollars a month spent on that but there have been some months when I have spent far more.

embee
August 4th, 2012, 05:05 AM
I'm not sure how to tell. I am WO in summer and NW/SO in winter, so no shampoo, no conditioner. I've not bought any hairtoys since ... ??? maybe my Larks Squiggly a year or so back? I do need a new brush, this old one is falling apart.

Long hair is *real* money saver for me. I've not been to a salon since about 1990, so you can just guess how much has not been spent that way! :D

Madora
August 4th, 2012, 07:15 AM
$36.00 for 2 bottles of GM Pink Creme Shampoo. I have everything else I need and since discovering mineral oil, my conditioning needs are going to be covered for quite a while!

Amber_Maiden
August 4th, 2012, 07:33 AM
HMMM... A lot. In the last month, maybe $100. Usually it's between $20 and $50

jaine
August 4th, 2012, 07:42 AM
I bought a $450 pair of Kamisori haircutting shears. Haven't needed to go to the salon since I bought it so it will save me money over the long run (after about 10 haircuts it will pay for itself...2-3 years probably)

I spent $40 on henna and cassia but haven't used it yet...might put it on the swap board because I'm too lazy to use it :)

I spent about $100 on quattro sticks and forks so far this year.

I typically spend about $12 - $24 for one 8-ounce bottle of shampoo or conditioner or hair gel. I go through conditioner really quickly but I go through shampoo and gel really slowly.

Too lazy to convert all this to a monthly number...the haircutting shears would probably throw off the average anyway.

ETA: oh wait... I also bought a Sedu hair dryer and some round brushes, and some regular hairbrushes ... so add another $200 or so to my total this year :)

march_sun
August 4th, 2012, 07:46 AM
I've recently started paying more attention To budgeting and saving as well! My husband and I got the financial peace set as a wedding gift
Here is (roughly) how much I spend per month (American $)

$10/ henna & supplies
$6/conditioner (1 bottle every 2 weeks)
$3/shampoo ( half of a bottle per month)
$3/ oils (a jar of co lasts me about 3 months)
$3/ hair toys (I have short hair so insult get cheapie hair clips)

So about $25/month! Not bad actually.

ETA: I didn't add my mason Pearson which I've had for years before moving to LHC, I've had it for so long. We'll just forget I ever spent that much on a brush! :P
I also forgot that I will need to buy a good pair or hair cutting shears.

jacqueline101
August 4th, 2012, 08:00 AM
I spend about 35 on mine a year.

pepperminttea
August 4th, 2012, 08:49 AM
At this point, I have no idea. I need to economise too, starting next month I'm going to be on a strict budget in a new city, so I want to spend what little 'fun' money I'll have on seeing the sights.

I've spent none on haircuts since 2008? So that's definitely a saving. Product-wise I don't buy anything that expensive, I think the most for a single product is shampoo since sulphate-free is harder to find, but even then it's never more than £6 for 250ml. And possibly NB panacea, but I use that so slowly in such tiny amounts that it lasts for an age. At a complete guess, I'd say I spend about £30 a month... if you ignore the hairtoys. I completely fail at reigning in my spending on those, but I will have to learn. :(

In2wishin
August 4th, 2012, 08:49 AM
I spend very little. $50 will buy me all of the ingredients I need for two years of shampoo and conditioner and now that I am going CO, I can reduce that to $25. I still color my hair (until I get a job) 3 X a year and have only bought two more packs of Amish hair pins at $1.75 each so for this year it comes to:

$12 for cleasing
$21 for coloring
$3.50 for toys

Averages out to about $3 a month

akilina
August 4th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Lately I am good. Until lastnight...
I spent 21 dollars on color oops, and got myself some shampoo and conditioner. Luckily that was only a dollar each. Before that, I would buy henna $8 tax+shipping, splurge on oils sometimes. Hmm I'll try to break it down over the last 3 months.
Atleast 50-60 dollars this summer...possibly MORE this summer so far ^_^ I feel guilty, but have been good the last month or so.

Lostsoule77
August 4th, 2012, 09:27 AM
I had a lot of what I still use when I joined here, like hair cutting scissors, hair friendly hair ties and a wider tooth comb. Since joining I've bought a few sticks off of the swap board, 2 packages of spin pins, 1 package of hair pins, 1 bottle of coconut oil, & 4 bottles of conditioner. Oh yeah, also aloe vera gel and another conditioner for SMT's plus a shower cap. I'd say all of that was between $150-$200 USD in 1.7 years. Less than $11 a month if it was $200. I only wash my hair once a week and use my coconut oil about once a month. I'm lazyish and tend to do the benign neglect thing more than anything else.

Curly Crone
August 4th, 2012, 09:27 AM
I just recently added up how much I have saved in the last eight years by not going to a salon every six weeks for a cut and color.

9 haircuts & coloring per year at 50.00 x 8 years.

72 haircuts x 50.00 = $3600.00

I think I have probably spent 100.00 dollars this year on shampoo, conditioner, oils and toys. I have been "hunting" for the right products so have a lot of misses sitting in the bathroom accumulating dust now. Anytime hubby asks about another hair expense I remind him of the above figure. :)

I want a Ficcare but they are expensive. Are they worth the price?

Bene
August 4th, 2012, 09:38 AM
In terms of products, I don't actually know and I wouldn't know where to begin on calculating. I've pretty much figured out what products I use, and they aren't very expensive. 2 years ago, I bought a bunch of shampoo bars all at once and still haven't gone through that stash. I know about once a year, I'll drop about 20 bucks or so on a bottle of camellia oil. A bottle of ACV is less than 2 bucks, but I don't have a set schedule for how often I buy it. Maybe once every 2 months? Maybe less? Maybe a dollar something on a bottle of V05, but I haven't bought any in a while.

I suppose my hair budget depends on whether or not some product catches my eye. But those are whim purchases, and rarely do they make it into every day routine or standard shopping list.

Now, in terms of hair toys that's something else. I've spent A LOT more than I actually care to calculate :laugh: However, I've pretty much collected all the types of accessories I want, and have more than I can use, so I don't really buy as much as I used to. It adds up over the course of a few years.

Asprettyasme
August 4th, 2012, 09:50 AM
#error

#An error occurred.

Diamond.Eyes
August 4th, 2012, 09:56 AM
A lot, but it is a cost I am willing to pay. :p I now get many hair products at ‘cost’ or whole-sale price because I attend cosmetology school and order through my school, so that definitely lessons the abuse on my wallet. :D

So far this year:
-Nature's Gate Rain Water Shampoo and Conditioner 36 oz. set: $5.50, retail $18
-Nature's Gate Hemp S & C 36 oz. set: $5.50, retail $16
-Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner: $3.50, retail $12
-Whole Foods Lavender Blend conditioner 32 oz/w coupon: 5$
-Vatika Oil 300ml: $4
-Extra Virgin Olive Oil 17 oz: 5$
-100 plastic shower caps: 1$
-Various VO5 conditioners: $3

I have spent $32-$35 dollars on my hair this year. Without my student discount I would have spend anywhere from $65-$70. For the amount of product I received and quality of it all, I would say I got a pretty good deal :D. For an LHC member my spending isn't too over the top...at least I don't think so. :flower:

Tristania
August 4th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Keep in mind here that prices in Norway are extreme. I spend 17 dollars a month on shampoo, conditioner and hair cure. A few times a year I have to buy bio silk, almond oil and Moroccan oil, the oils cost about 30 dollars or so per bottle. Every other month I have my bangs trimmed that cost about 7 bucks, I also dye my hair every other month and the dye cost me about 15 bucks though I save money by dying my hair at home. I go to the hairdresser for a trim once a year and that cost about 20 bucks. Now as for hair toys I think the average is about 50 dollars a month spent on that but there have been some months when I have spent far more.
I second that. After having lived in the US for so long, I always get a sticker shock every time I look at hair care stuff (or anything else for that matter) whenever I go to Norway. Freia påskeegg, anyone?:p I can get those here for literally a quarter of what they cost at gas stations in Norway.

Tristania
August 4th, 2012, 10:02 AM
As far as how much I spend on hair care stuff, I reckon I average about $10/month. My grocery store recently had a BOGO on Organix though, so I got about $60 worth of conditioner. I think that should last me at least a year.

lil_irish_angel
August 4th, 2012, 10:05 AM
so if i was to say this year alone

$75 dollars for henna to last 3 yrs, only cause i henna 2 times a yr, and freeze whats left and re use, oh and herbs $20.00 for the time frame

I buy condtioner frm work for cost so id say I have spent $30 this yr so far,
My shampoo I spent $18 for 4 bottles of neutrogina anti residue

I haven't bought anyhting but scrunchies so $7.00

I have a friend trim my hair for free, which addes to once a yr

the only thing i go thru lots but sheap is conditioner

Id say not too bad

All of my hair toys i brought used or swapped, and love them all the same

Thenolegirl
August 4th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Renpure Shampoo - $4
Renpure Conditioner- $4 (both on sale)
New Goody brush - $10
New detangling comb - $3
Organic coconut oil - $6
VO5 conditioners (when I was trying CO) - $3 for 3 bottles
FX Moroccan Moisture Miracle Argan oil - $5 (kind of like Silk-drops that Torrin Paige uses)
And some thick scalp oil from the Ethnic haircare section that was trashed after two uses. :P - $2

This is from May up until August. This is going to have be cut back for college living. I think from now on I'll stick to Sauve. I think just getting two big bottles at the beginning of the semester should cut back considerably. I don't really style my hair anymore so that cuts out blowdrying creams, hairsprays, heat protecting sprays, and fancy shampoo brands that I used to buy every week.

Now that I want hairsticks and hairforks, that poses another problem for my wallet. :o

AnnaB
August 4th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Just in last month I spent £84. I have badly damaged hair hence a lot of expenses. But I swear it's roughly at least £50 a month.

~honeyflower~
August 4th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Things I bought.
- hot n' silky pure boar bristle brush $6
- my favorite little wooden comb $3
- both V05 blackberry shampoo and conditioner $1
- argan oil $10
- silk sleeping cap $3
Everything I bought in February and I bought another set of V05 blackberry in May so I spent $24 and its already half a year

Kyla
August 4th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Probably $10 dollars a month, sometimes $15, that's on conditioner and hairtoys usually. I don't buy that much, my conditioners are pretty cheap (v05, Mane n' Tail, Garnier Fructis) and I don't spend much on hair accessories, I get cheap ones. My mom buys shampoo and sometimes conditioner for me though. :p My leave in lasts a long time, so I only need to buy new products for that every few months.

GrowingGlory
August 4th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Since August 2011 I have spent $1.98 on two gallons of Spring Water. I've still got most of it left. I use one organic soap nut in a pint of spring water, brewed for a full day at room temperature to wash my hair. I rinse my hair after washing with spring water. I love the simplicity and economy of my routine.

(Of course, in December 2010 I spent $200 on a Mason Pearson Large Extra. I still use it. It meets my conditioning needs and cleans my hair and scalp. In 2011 my friend bought me a WIDU Bamboo ash wood brush. I use it for cleaning, conditioning, deodorizing, detangling and styling. In 2007 or 2008 bought a kilo of organic soap nuts from Rawganique for about $32 w/shipping. I still have most of the kilo left.)

SelkieSkjald
August 4th, 2012, 02:27 PM
I have actually started spending significantly less on my hair since I found LHC. My water bill is included in a fixed rent rate, so I consider it basically free to wash my hair since I am WO. I bought a wonderful BBB for about $5, was given a horn comb for my birthday, am halfway through a $2 bottle of ACV that is also used for cooking, spent $10 on an aloe vera plant, and am halfway through an $8 jar of coconut oil that I also use to make my own toothpaste and deodorant as well as for makeup removal. Including miscellaneous hairtoys, I'd say I've spent about $40 this year. Frugal haircare is wonderful since I am a full time student as well as working almost full time in order to squirrel away some money for an eventual doctorate :).

LoveAngelBeauty
August 4th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Will let y'all know once I buy my products for the month and for going back to school...but probably a lot.

MinderMutsig
August 4th, 2012, 03:53 PM
I don't really know. I have a huge pile of conditioners that I recently bought on sale and plan on buying more on my trip to Germany in a couple of weeks since I really liked some of the products I tried there and plan on stocking up on them. I'm pretty good about using up my stash though so in the end it doesn't really matter if I buy a lot now and none later or spread it all out more. I like having a nice assortment to choose from so I can switch things up every now and then. Heavy, light, protein, moisture, cone, no-cone I have it all and use it all.

I'm pretty much set in the oils department, I make my own gel, mix my own oils both for my hair and body, I make my own hairtoys and I cut my own hair so that doesn't really cost that much.

The last two months I didn't spend anything on my hair but this month I plan on spending around €30 on conditioners and treatments. After that I don't think I'll buy new products for months unless I bump into something really interesting which I doubt because there aren't that many interesting brands in The Netherlands. That's why I buy my stuff abroad whenever I get the chance.

ETA: Wait I lie! Last week I bought two balls of wool to make myself a couple of parandi so I spent around €5 on my hair.

DragonFlyPie
August 4th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Hmmm, i don't think i spend TOO much :)

I usually buy cheap Suave or V05 conditioner - so maybe between $2-$5 on conditioner a month.
And i henna every 4-6 weeks, using about 300g. So i think that is like $18 (i buy a LOT, so i get a slight discount on each pkg, which i think normally runs $7-$8 per 100g)

So average $20 a month i guess.

I don't buy shampoo, styling products, etc. I'm still using a bottle of shampoo that I bought like 3-4 years ago. Seriously. LOL Still smells fine & works fine. But i only shampoo once a month, so it's taking forever to use.

I also cut my own hair now, so no salon expenses.

I think i may have spent like $60 on wooden hair forks at the beginning of the year, but nothing more since then.

For oils, i have a bunch of shea butter, cocoa butter, coconut oil, almond oil & apricot kernel oil that I purchased a long time ago for other uses (ex. I make my own body sprays & body butters) so sometimes I will put a dollop of something oily on my ends. :)

lole18
August 4th, 2012, 04:56 PM
well some products last me a month some two weeks some two months so i dont buy any thing every month.. but i think it would be 30$ :)

beautifulending
August 4th, 2012, 04:56 PM
I would say around $20 or 30 dollars a month. but that will be going down since I no longer dye my hair or get it cut as often now(I am not going to cut my hair for nine months or so, I want to see how long it will grow in nine months)

lapushka
August 4th, 2012, 05:05 PM
I don't really know. I have a huge pile of conditioners that I recently bought on sale and plan on buying more on my trip to Germany in a couple of weeks since I really liked some of the products I tried there and plan on stocking up on them. I'm pretty good about using up my stash though so in the end it doesn't really matter if I buy a lot now and none later or spread it all out more. I like having a nice assortment to choose from so I can switch things up every now and then. Heavy, light, protein, moisture, cone, no-cone I have it all and use it all.

(...)

The last two months I didn't spend anything on my hair but this month I plan on spending around €30 on conditioners and treatments. After that I don't think I'll buy new products for months unless I bump into something really interesting which I doubt because there aren't that many interesting brands in The Netherlands. That's why I buy my stuff abroad whenever I get the chance.

That's pretty much how it goes here too. There's literally *months* when I don't spend a thing on my hair, and then there's those times when I stock up (when prices are low) on a bunch of conditioners (mainly) and shampoos. My hair's cut at home, so there's no expenditure there. So, apart from a few hairtoys here and there (pretty rare), I really don't spend that much on my hair.

Tisiloves
August 4th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Estimated per year (because I tend to buy in bulk):
Henna £20.65
Coconut Oil £9.50 (probably less)
Detangle Spray £5.98
Conditioner £30 (absolute max)
Shampoo £2

Total £68.30 per year or approx £5.68 per month.

Brushes/hairtoys/etc. I have not included as a) I only anticipate buying them once every few years and b) I know I have a hairtoy addiction and have banned myself from buying anymore (I will ask for them as presents instead).

swearnsue
August 4th, 2012, 07:55 PM
I just spent $60 on HennaSooq for at least two years worth of henna. It was on sale and free shipping so the cost per 100g was about $4.50.
I cut my own hair and have tons of shampoo and conditioners to use up.

CurlyCap
August 4th, 2012, 08:15 PM
I tend to stock up on things I love and then not have to buy for a while. And when I say stock up, I mean buy 20 bottles of VO5 if CVS is having a sale.

So for my go to products (V05, ACV) maybe $5/month.

Thing is, I like to try new products and don't care what they cost. I try to buy from Whole Foods for new things because I can return hygiene products I don't like. For instance, right now I'm trying Shea Moisture products and they run about $10/bottle. If I find something I like, I'll start buying in bulk on sale.

So experiments tend to cost me $20/month, which I may or may not return for refunds.

ladylowtide
August 4th, 2012, 08:20 PM
I get henna every three months, 15/3 = $5
I buy my shampoo and conditioner about every 8 months or so 12/8 = $1.50
Then I would gestate about somewhere between 2-4 dollars for bobby pins, scrunches etc. So about $3 for other stuff.

$9.50 per month! Vs. what it was when I platinum blonde hair $80+/month.

bo-peep
August 4th, 2012, 09:27 PM
I can't spend as much as I'd like to... Gawd, the things I'd buy if I could afford them! I'm doing CO washes and coconut oil in between - both pretty inexpensive. I'm curious about adding honey to my routine and trying monistat for faster growth. I will have to wait to pick up Monistat until next paycheck, but I already have honey in my kitchen...

I'd LOVE to have some of the hair sticks and swords I see others on LHC wearing in their hair. That looks SO cool!

dixid
August 4th, 2012, 09:55 PM
This is the first month since I joined LHC that I've really spent any money on my hair. Until now it's been so short that it didn't need anything.

BS/ACV - $5 (will last until the end of the year)
Hair Ties - $3
BBB - $5 (from ethnic section of haircare)
PVA towel - $7
Conditioner - $1

I'd like to start picking up some hair toys, but my hair isn't quite long enough yet. I've dropped hints that and for a better brush though, so hopefully I'll get something hair related for my birthday this month.

arcane
August 4th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Ugh I don't even want to really consider. Even though I'm grown and on my own my parents tend to buy me hair stuff as treats when I see them. Hair toys, dye, a salon visit for a final dye, conditioners, shampoos, oils, etc doing a quick estimate if I paid for it all and it was averaged out over the course of a year I'm hitting $100-$150 a month. I need to really cut back. Since I'm not dying it anymore I'll be saving there and my hair has recovered a lot for where it was so the intense moisture and protein that I've has to alternate so I'm hoping to get down to $50 a month.

dwell_in_safety
August 4th, 2012, 10:37 PM
I purchase roughly one bottle of Suave Naturals conditioner every other month (I wash with each bottle twice a month; I keep two different kinds, using the coconut to wash out oil) and a hair toy every other month. That is about $1.30 with tax. Toys run $15-50, but usually they're in the $20-25 range unless I am purchasing a fork. I bought a 16 oz bottle of coconut oil back in January that is looking like it may end up lasting exactly a year, for roughly $7 including tax (though my next bottle will be organic and extra virgin ordered online and will cost about twice as much). I have a small 4 oz bottle of jojoba oil that I purchased last October that is now about a third gone, so that will probably last another year and a half; that ran about $10 at the time, iirc. Incidental costs such as satin pillowcases, combs, etc. I would guess will end up costing about $1/mo when averaged, now that I've gotten a good base of them.

Sooooo....
$10.40/yr conditioner (currently I only need six bottles per year, but I calculated using eight to allow for growth :p )
$150/yr toys, assuming average cost of $25 including shipping
$15/yr coconut oil, as I'll be spending more in the future on it
$6/yr jojoba oil, inflated to reflect increasing shortage
$12/yr incidental

That comes to just over $16/mo. That seems like a lot to me, considering my current position in life, but this is the only way I pamper myself, and I spend about $20/mo on other forms of entertainment not including the necessary internet connection. Not bad? Hopefully. I won't spend less; my hair has become very important to me, and I can afford it. :p

spirals
August 4th, 2012, 11:12 PM
I spend anywhere from $1 to $10 on individual products, and the cost per month averages between $2 and $5, as some things last more than a month. I don't pay for haircuts, I buy inexpensive color occasionally, and the only hairtoys I buy are ponytailers, pins, and dollar-store headbands and flowers. I spend more on my teeth than any other part of me by far--hundreds a year. The hair is like $50 a year.

XcaliburGirl
August 5th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Well, I started my own "No more hair-related purchases in 2012 (except for my usual shampoo and conditioner)" challenge because I kept being tempted to try new things and buy hair accessories every times I went to the store.

Here's my "budget" for 2013:

Every couple of months:
$8 shampoo
$8 conditioner

Per year:
$16 hair cut (if I decide to get one)
$100 hair accessories: this will probably be gift money
$15 Nizoral

catamonica
August 5th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Shampoo, about six dollars. Every three months. It's a big bottle. Conditioner about two dollars, every three months. I only wash hair once a week. And one scalp wash. And olive oil about two dollars a year. You just add water to make it last. So about twelve dollars a
year for shampoo.
And four dollars a year for extra shampoo. So it comes out to about
$18.00 a year for two shampoos
$olive oil $2.00
Conditioner $8.00
About $28.00 dollars a year.

Vanilla
August 5th, 2012, 06:15 PM
I go through spurts of spending on my hair, like every 6 months. Basically, when I start running out of shampoo or conditioner, I'll also buy hair toys and cassia at the same time.

I've been in a spending spurt currently and bought a bunch of things I had been putting off for a while, but they will last me for quite a bit.

Garnet66
August 5th, 2012, 07:21 PM
I don't spend much money on hair toys but I'm quite addicted to buying new shampoo and conditioners. I probably spend $5 per week on that. With the occasional barette or brush. Then there's haircuts and trims. So I probably end up spending about $30 per month on hair related stuff. Wow, I just realized how much I really spend. No wonder DH rolls his eyes when I put another shamooo or condish in the shopping cart.

Now that I'm starting to figure out a routine I'm really going to try to stop buying so much.

sunnydee92
August 5th, 2012, 08:39 PM
Hrrrmmm...Let's see. I spend around $7 on my Light Mountain Hair Color each month. I seem to ALWAYS lose hair ties, but buy only a pack of them around 4 times a year for a few bucks. I am currently using Everyday Shea conditioner and shampoo (not sure if I like the conditioner yet) for around $20 for both of them. Those should last a few months for me... I use coconut oil, jojoba oil, and other random stuff in my hair, but I don't buy any of those for regular use on my head, so I don't count them! Sometimes I buy flowers or other random things for my hair, but it's rare. I have been experimenting with cutting my hair at home, so my hair cutting cost is basically nonexistent. I think I spend under $20 a month on hair! (My hair is about BSL)

Dang3rousB3auty
August 6th, 2012, 01:04 AM
well, this last month I have spent a bit more then I usually would have. I picked up some hair cutting scissors($12), some scruncis($4), clarifying shampoo($7), 4 plastic caps($2). I also went on etsy and bought 3 things. Leave-in conditioner($9.50 +s&h), a scented spray for hair($7.10 +s&h) and a hair salve I use only on my ends($13.50 +s&h). I also bought a protein shampoo and a conditioner that was on sale. All these things should last me a very long time. I have also promised myself after I have everything I need established not to buy anything else until I absolutely need more of it. I have lots of oils to go through. I am not getting any hair cuts so I have nothing to spend there. I am also trying out new things when I run out of other things so there isn't a set price as of yet.

I do know my shampoos usually cost around $8-10 and I usually buy a cleansing conditioner so I don't usually buy a separate conditioner for the shower. I just use a leave in conditioner afterwards.

So if I had to guess prices.
$10 every 1 or 2 months for shampoo
$10 every 2-4 months for leave-in conditioner(depends on size and how much I have to use)
$9 every 9-12 months for coconut oil or some other type of hair oil.
$10 every 6 months for a deep conditioner

So about $120yr/$10 per month buying only what I need.

Of course there are always new products that might catch your eye or new things you want to try that will cost a bit to buy ingredients, but I hope to just stick to my basics and not go overboard with too many products at one time.

freckles
August 6th, 2012, 02:00 PM
I'm really enjoying all the answers, guys! :D Keep 'em coming! We have such large variation :)

bunnylake
August 6th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Well lately I've been spending a lot because I'm experimenting. My shower looks like the hair care aisle at a drug store and health food store, lol. I have some Indian herb powders and oils from hennasooq on order, and I'll be buying henna for the first time soon! I also just bought Nature's Gate s&c to try and a new Conair BBB. Someday Mason Pearson, someday... ;)

nobeltonya
August 6th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Both my shampoo and conditioner cost about $5 each, and each lasts about a month. Leave-in conditioner is $3, and also lasts about a month. Not entirely sure how long this 1L thing of coconut oil will last yet.. probably a few months... but it cost like $7. And I went through a phase where I was buying random hair toys from Wal-Mart: upzing!, modern updo pin, regular spin pins, ouchless hair elastics. Probably $25-$30 or so.. but I haven't bought any in a while [nothing new that catches my eye]. I'm itching to buy some nice sticks with butterflies or fairies or something, and a nice wooden fork. They're more expensive, though.. we'll see. :disco: