PDA

View Full Version : I went to the hairdressers...

tigereye
August 3rd, 2012, 01:53 PM
...for the first time in about a year and a half. I stopped and started trimming my own as I don't have the money, but mum was treating us to a day out. Anyway, I had to stand when she was cutting because my hair was too long, and she took off an extra inch, but it was otherwise brilliant.
I had a woman who had just graduated, and she did a great job - better than the one I got last time who had been there for years (also a reason I stopped going - the last one took off way too much)
I almost had to laugh though - my hair was just washed and there was a tangle she couldn't get out, so she went through it with - wait for it - a tangle teazer! Then at the end she used a couple of drops of "hair" oil ("to treat your ends and make your hair feel nice when you next wash it" so she said)

I think my hairdresser is catching on. :p

Perididdle
August 3rd, 2012, 01:56 PM
How long did it take her? I assume you just got a trim, but whenever I have newbies they are so careful and slow. It's darling and I love sitting and chatting!

Xandergrammy
August 3rd, 2012, 01:59 PM
Lucky you!!!

tigereye
August 3rd, 2012, 02:06 PM
How long did it take her? I assume you just got a trim, but whenever I have newbies they are so careful and slow. It's darling and I love sitting and chatting!

About 40 min from walk in to walk out. Yeah I just had a trim, but she was so lovely to chat to. I guess we were a little longer than expected, because my mum had her usual hairdresser and was done before me, even with her curly blow-dry styling.

akilina
August 3rd, 2012, 02:34 PM
Yay!! Great to hear about a GOOD experience :)

Perididdle
August 3rd, 2012, 02:37 PM
I wonder if a newer hairdresser is actually more friendly for those of us sensitive about our hair? They haven't had the time to build up opinions and get set in their ways.

Madora
August 3rd, 2012, 03:03 PM
Glad you had such a positive experience, tigereye!

Unicorn
August 3rd, 2012, 03:17 PM
...for the first time in about a year and a half. I stopped and started trimming my own as I don't have the money, but mum was treating us to a day out. Anyway, I had to stand when she was cutting because my hair was too long, and she took off an extra inch, but it was otherwise brilliant.
I had a woman who had just graduated, and she did a great job - better than the one I got last time who had been there for years (also a reason I stopped going - the last one took off way too much)
I almost had to laugh though - my hair was just washed and there was a tangle she couldn't get out, so she went through it with - wait for it - a tangle teazer! Then at the end she used a couple of drops of "hair" oil ("to treat your ends and make your hair feel nice when you next wash it" so she said)

I think my hairdresser is catching on. :p

:agape:

That sounds great. One to hold on to, if only for the occasional trim.

Unicorn

Amber_Maiden
August 3rd, 2012, 03:18 PM
That's awesome!!

afu
August 3rd, 2012, 03:25 PM
last time i went to my hairdresser they had new tiny vials of 'special hair oil to make your ends shiny', the hairdresser didn't seem to have a clue what was actually in it and i suspect it's hardly natural, but it does seem that the hair industry is embracing oils a bit more recently. The hairdresser I go to is lovely, i've been going to her all through her training and she has just qualified, i swear she thinks I'm a crazy hippie everytime i go in for highlights with my hair soaked in coconut oil! I've never had her cut my hair but my housemate has, and she always complains she hasn't taken enough off - so maybe I should give her trims a try!

Glad you had a good experience :) The salon I used to go to sold tangle teezers but never used them, which always confused me!

Akilina as a stylist, would you be insulted if a client asked if they could detangle their own hair after washing? I seriously dread having my colour done just because of the fine tooth comb detangling and how much breakage I end up with, but I feel like i'd be insulting them if i asked to do it myself

akilina
August 3rd, 2012, 03:44 PM
last time i went to my hairdresser they had new tiny vials of 'special hair oil to make your ends shiny', the hairdresser didn't seem to have a clue what was actually in it and i suspect it's hardly natural, but it does seem that the hair industry is embracing oils a bit more recently. The hairdresser I go to is lovely, i've been going to her all through her training and she has just qualified, i swear she thinks I'm a crazy hippie everytime i go in for highlights with my hair soaked in coconut oil! I've never had her cut my hair but my housemate has, and she always complains she hasn't taken enough off - so maybe I should give her trims a try!

Glad you had a good experience :) The salon I used to go to sold tangle teezers but never used them, which always confused me!

Akilina as a stylist, would you be insulted if a client asked if they could detangle their own hair after washing? I seriously dread having my colour done just because of the fine tooth comb detangling and how much breakage I end up with, but I feel like i'd be insulting them if i asked to do it myself
Not at all, would I be insulted :]. Some people have preferences, and it does seem that some stylists don't know how to comb out hair carefully and nicely.
The only part where it gets kind of hairy, is that (at least in Nevada) Letting your client touch ANY of your tools is A BIG BIG NO NO. I have a feeling this goes for nearly every state.
I guess that only means, when state board is walking thru your salon- don't let your client use your combs, or anything.

There have been times that people joke and say "oh haha I didn't even brush my hair today!" Like I am supposed to think that is funny and cute!!
:disgust: <----my face. At that point I say well okay, here is the brush. Since your hair is so tangled you may brush it out yourself. I know that sounds "unprofessional" to a certain extent but there are simply some times where it is absolutely and completely ridiculous. Like they can not handle their own hair so they expect someone else to feel like they are ripping their hair out of their head. Or perhaps they never even learned how to brush their own hair. No thanks, I don't want to be the one responsible for hurting their scalp or pulling too hard, and then get complained at when it could have been avoided :]

afu
August 5th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Thank you :) I may dare to bring my TT along next time (although it will have to be a different salon because im moving, oo the terror of a new stylist)

akilina
August 5th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Thank you :) I may dare to bring my TT along next time (although it will have to be a different salon because im moving, oo the terror of a new stylist)
Cool, try it! :] There are times that clients bring in a specific curling iron, or straightener, or product. I never have a problem with this at all, although I could see some stylist out there not willing to use any of it at all and finding some fault with it. Products may be iffy. You have to have all the MSDS for ALL products sold and used in a salon, so if it was something that they did not have its possible they would refuse only for the safety of keeping their business. Still rare. I feel like most would just go ahead and use it for them anyway :]
I think your TT would be absolutely fine! :D Perhaps they would even fall in love with it and get one to use on all their clients!

Lostsoule77
August 5th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Sounds like you had a great experience! If you ever feel like getting another trim I say she's a good hair dresser to head to. :)

Garnet66
August 5th, 2012, 04:11 PM
I'm really glad you had such a good experience. Hopefully I too can find a good hairdresser so I'll have one lined up in case I need a trim. Sounds like your hairdresser is a keeper.

jacqueline101
August 5th, 2012, 04:22 PM
I'm glad you had a great time.

minxe
August 5th, 2012, 05:05 PM
That sounds absolutely lovely! I'd definitely go back to her

BrightEyes
August 5th, 2012, 06:27 PM
It sounds like you've found a keeper. That's wonderful! Thanks for sharing your experience:)