PDA

View Full Version : Falling Hair

Te Atawhai
August 6th, 2008, 04:01 AM
So - I've just had a shower and washed and conditioned my hair. I had a lot of hair come away in my hands. When I clumped it up, it made a ball about 2cm in diameter. That seems a whole lot to me.

When I comb I always get about 6 hairs come loose without fail. When I plait I usually get about 3 loose hairs in the tassel. So I reckon that I am loosing about 15 hairs a day, plus extra on the two days I wash.

I am careful with detangling and washing. I tend to only handle my hair 2 or 3 times a day - in the morning getting ready for work, at night before bed, and maybe once more when I get home from work if I am uncomfortable and just want a plait for the evening.

So whats the question? Well, what the heck am I doing wrong? this seems like a lot of hair fall, dont you think?

Solange
August 6th, 2008, 04:23 AM
Of course when you want as much thickness as possible, any hair you lose is a hair you would rather have on your head, but your hair loss doesn't seem excessive at all. Isn't up to about a hundred hairs a day that's considered normal?

Fia
August 6th, 2008, 04:59 AM
15 hairs a day is nothing and to see more shedding on wash days is totally normal as the added handling will make additional hairs come lose. Up to 100 hairs a day and even a bit more is totally within normal limits.

Honey39
August 6th, 2008, 06:11 AM
That's actually a REALLY low shed rate! The average is between 60 - 100 hairs a day, and heavy shedding will be much higher than that.

The thing is, hair is programmed to fall out. It's not actually a BAD thing.

About 90 percent of the hair on most people's scalps is in a two- to six-year growth (anagen) stage at any given time. The other 10 percent is in a two- to three-month resting (telogen) phase, after which time it is shed. Most people shed 50 to 150 hairs a day. Once a hair is shed, the growth stage begins again as a new hair from the same follicle replaces the shed hair. New hair grows at a rate of approximately one-half inch each month.

I know that we are trying to grow hair, and so don't want to shed hair, but it's really really normal and natural, and actually is helpful for new growth. I think when you have long hair it looks like you're shedding small kittens, but 15 hairs a day is really barely anything at all!

Fencai
August 6th, 2008, 06:38 AM
I wouldnt worry too much about this.
That's a super low rate. Ive noticed that on days that I "wash" i shed a bit more than on a non-wash day.

Julesn
August 6th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Hey there!! :)

Like Fia said, it is totally normal to lose 100 strands a day :) The average # for most people is 75-150, so you are doing great, my Dear!!! It seems that you are hardly shedding at all on a daily basis, so maybe your hair was just having a "catch up" & decided to shed a lot at once. I think that can happen sometimes ;)

Julie :)

kate46
August 6th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Hey there!! :)

Like Fia said, it is totally normal to lose 100 strands a day :) The average # for most people is 75-150, so you are doing great, my Dear!!! It seems that you are hardly shedding at all on a daily basis, so maybe your hair was just having a "catch up" & decided to shed a lot at once. I think that can happen sometimes ;)

Julie :)

As everyone says, that amount of shedding really isn't anything to worry about and don't forget if your hair was only a couple of inches long,the clump you made wouldn't be anywhere near as large. :)

ETA ooops I didn't mean to quote the above post LOL