PDA

View Full Version : Best way to keep braid waves?

AdaClare
August 3rd, 2012, 10:58 AM
I love braid waves (especially from French and Dutch braids) but my hair tends to get tangley as the day goes on when I wear my hair loose, plus it gets a little bit frizzy when it's humid. I'm hesitant to use hairspray or mousse and don't want to cause any unnecessary damage to my hair. Is there something natural I can use (preferably simple household things) I can use to keep the waves looking nice?

petali
August 3rd, 2012, 11:04 AM
What I do is put olive oil in my hand, and then separate the sections for the braid. Then I smooth my hand over the braids. It gives the braids more shine, without making it look greasy, and keeps the hairs inside :)

vanillabones
August 3rd, 2012, 11:07 AM
My hair will not hold braid waves :(

AdaClare
August 3rd, 2012, 11:31 AM
Good idea, petali. :)

Tota
August 3rd, 2012, 11:40 AM
Before braiding wet your palms and dampen your hair just a little bit. Then put a small amount of aloe vera gel on your hair and braid. You can use pure aloe vera gel instead of other styling products and it's good for your hair (as far as I know).

akilina
August 3rd, 2012, 11:58 AM
Before braiding wet your palms and dampen your hair just a little bit. Then put a small amount of aloe vera gel on your hair and braid. You can use pure aloe vera gel instead of other styling products and it's good for your hair (as far as I know).
Exactly what I was going to suggest :) I like to find aloe vera that is simply 100% real. The last one I got was just aloe, and citric acid. I've never used the gel ones but for some reason I don't like the idea of the colorful gel kind you'd find at a normal store.

Tota
August 3rd, 2012, 12:02 PM
Exactly what I was going to suggest :) I like to find aloe vera that is simply 100% real. The last one I got was just aloe, and citric acid. I've never used the gel ones but for some reason I don't like the idea of the colorful gel kind you'd find at a normal store.

I've never seen a colourful aloe vera gel:) I bought mine at the pharmacy - 100% aloe vera gel, the one they use for burned skin etc. A bit pricier indeed, but at least I know it's good stuff ;)

akilina
August 3rd, 2012, 12:24 PM
I've never seen a colourful aloe vera gel:) I bought mine at the pharmacy - 100% aloe vera gel, the one they use for burned skin etc. A bit pricier indeed, but at least I know it's good stuff ;)
Yess I like that stuff :) I hated paying 8 dollars for a small bottle, but worth it.
You haven't seen the blue and green colored "aloe vera" gels that are probably not even 50% aloe? I can't stand those.

I recently got an aloe plant and haven't been cutting off of it to let it get bigger, but I cut off a leaf and mashed it up the other day for my SMT. I tasted the aloe and it tasted horrible. I wasn't expecting it to taste so gross. I also should have mashed it up finer because the jelly chunks just rolled out of my hair onto the ground >.<

AdaClare
August 3rd, 2012, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the input everyone! :)

JamieLeigh
August 3rd, 2012, 03:56 PM
I'm chiming in with another vote for using the aloe vera gel before braiding. :)

AdaClare
August 3rd, 2012, 04:21 PM
Now that I think about it I have another question: would aloe from the plant have the same or similar affect? The only aloe gel I currently have is the green stuff, but I also own an aloe plant.

akilina
August 3rd, 2012, 06:38 PM
Now that I think about it I have another question: would aloe from the plant have the same or similar affect? The only aloe gel I currently have is the green stuff, but I also own an aloe plant.
I don't see why not :) It is the true real deal.

AdaClare
August 3rd, 2012, 06:50 PM
I don't see why not :) It is the true real deal.

Ok, I'll give that a try. :)

Natalia
August 3rd, 2012, 08:18 PM
aloe gel on damp hair before braiding then when you take it out use a tiny bit of oil on your hands smooth down the outside of your braid then after you undo it rake your oiled hands through the braid to distribute it. aloe is the hold oil is for frizz :) works for me

Natalia
August 3rd, 2012, 08:22 PM
Yess I like that stuff :) I hated paying 8 dollars for a small bottle, but worth it.
You haven't seen the blue and green colored "aloe vera" gels that are probably not even 50% aloe? I can't stand those.

I recently got an aloe plant and haven't been cutting off of it to let it get bigger, but I cut off a leaf and mashed it up the other day for my SMT. I tasted the aloe and it tasted horrible. I wasn't expecting it to taste so gross. I also should have mashed it up finer because the jelly chunks just rolled out of my hair onto the ground >.<

hahah yeah thats the natural laxative chemical your tasting.... cant advice eating much of that bad cramps....

Sabriel
August 3rd, 2012, 09:42 PM
I've also found that dampening my hair before/right after braiding makes a big difference. I will have to keep the aloe thing in mind...