PDA

View Full Version : Horse Shampoo and Conditioner?

Rufflebutt
August 3rd, 2012, 10:00 AM
My mother grows out her hair and uses nothing but horse hair care products on her hair. Her hair is pretty nice looking, thick and brown. Right now it's just skimming APL.

Have you heard of this before? How well does it work?

swearnsue
August 3rd, 2012, 10:02 AM
I've used Mane 'n Tail shampoo and conditioner. I really like them but I don't use them every time I wash because of the protein in them. But I definitely recommend them.

longNred
August 3rd, 2012, 10:07 AM
I use MnT too. I like it, but I only S&C about 2x a week.

petali
August 3rd, 2012, 10:08 AM
I heard of Mane'n Tail shampoo, too, but it's sold in enormous bottles, it's a little intimidating.

Perididdle
August 3rd, 2012, 10:17 AM
I've not used it on myself, but I have used it on lots of horses! MnT is used a LOT by horse people because the bottles are just so big -- why not share with your pony? Since horse hair is naturally pretty dry and usually quite coarse, and really not prone to frizzing/flyaways, you should take that into account when trying it. Also, horse tails are pretty infrequently washed (once a week for most show animals, way less for the others) and don't have to deal with a lot of grease/oil...but the stuff SHOULD be formulated for dirt and grime, so it might still work if you have issues with oil/dirt/gumminess/etc.

MnT can be found at a lot of grocery and big box stores, and they usually have pretty liberal return policies, so check that out and then give it a go if you're interested! It also smells pretty good, IMO. You could also try Cowboy Magic, it's the other major horsey shampoo out there.

Rufflebutt
August 3rd, 2012, 10:18 AM
I heard of Mane'n Tail shampoo, too, but it's sold in enormous bottles, it's a little intimidating. My tresseme shampoo comes in bottles of about the same size. :) I love it because for only 3 bucks I can get something that will last me about 2 months.

akilina
August 3rd, 2012, 10:22 AM
Some people swear by it, but some people despise it. Theres a member who claims she did not have any growth for years and years and mane and tail was the only thing that randomly made her grow again.
For me, it felt like pure wax on my head. I used to use it when I was 16 and 17. Just know a shampoo is very very unlikely to make your hair grow at all, but may give you a healthier base to start from.

petali
August 3rd, 2012, 10:24 AM
My tresseme shampoo comes in bottles of about the same size. :) I love it because for only 3 bucks I can get something that will last me about 2 months.

I wish they came in trial packs, though! I don't know what I would do with the rest of the bottle if it didn't work for me, lol. Maybe for my pet rats? :p

longNred
August 3rd, 2012, 10:28 AM
I heard of Mane'n Tail shampoo, too, but it's sold in enormous bottles, it's a little intimidating.

you don't have to buy the huge bottles, they do sell smaller sizes as well. Personally, I buy the big ones, they last me a long time. last time I bought it Sally's had a BOGO free deal. a few drugstores, like CVS, carry it as well (not just the HUGE size).

jacqueline101
August 3rd, 2012, 10:28 AM
I love mane n tail. I don't know if it grew my hair faster or not but my hair felt nice and looked good.

petali
August 3rd, 2012, 10:34 AM
I looked in Walgreens, but they only have the HUGE bottle. Where do they sell the smaller ones?

lydiajo
August 3rd, 2012, 10:35 AM
I use the Cowboy Magic products.

Amber_Maiden
August 3rd, 2012, 10:37 AM
I used to, but not anymore. I find that horse shampoo can be pretty harsh- considering that it is supposed to be used because the horse's hair is dirty. My hair doesn't get that dirty lol, since it's up most of the time. :p

longNred
August 3rd, 2012, 10:40 AM
I looked in Walgreens, but they only have the HUGE bottle. Where do they sell the smaller ones?

I know they have a store locater for their products on their website. check it out. in my area I've seen it at CVS, Rite Aid, and Sally's. heck, they may have samples, it can't hurt to ask them! They're on fb too, maybe inquire about samples there?

Little Unicorn
August 3rd, 2012, 10:46 AM
I'm glad to hear all these good responses because I bought a bottle of Main n Tail shampoo and I still haven't used it. I hope it works good! Should I only use it like once a week?

vanillabones
August 3rd, 2012, 11:12 AM
I have been contemplating trying this. Would it be okay to just use the shampoo? Should you use the two together? I'm not sure how my hair will like all the protein but it seems to work for people and I'd like to try a new shampoo soon.

Arden
August 3rd, 2012, 11:20 AM
I havent thought about this in years. Back when I worked with horses I remember it being a big trend amonst horsey people. I dont recall careing much for it. Kind of like someone else said... sort of made my hair feel waxy... And not unlike how the hair on a horses tail feels....

From a standpoint of logic I guess I can understand why someone might conclude using horse shampoo would be good. Horses have corse brittle manes.... so if you have corse brittle hair maybe the logic is it will make it softer?

Who knows... I didn't recall there being anything overly magical about it... but it's been 20 years since I used it...

longNred
August 3rd, 2012, 11:20 AM
I started with just the conditioner, then added the shampoo. Like all products, all I can say is try it, once you use it you'll determine if your hair likes it and/or how often you should use it. what works for one person may be a total fail for another. sorry, wish I could be more helpful.

catamonica
August 3rd, 2012, 11:30 AM
MY hair was just past midback Since high school. In 2009, I tried it. I heard it grows hair. By
2010 at age 54, it grew to waist. I still use it. I added two capfuls of olive oil to the shampoo.
To make it soft. Now my hair is at hip. It's my little miracle shampoo. That was me Akilina. It's not for everybody. Akilina, have you thought about using it again? You could add 2-4 capfuls of oil to the shampoo, then use another shampoo to get the oil out? You never know it might work.

Arden
August 3rd, 2012, 11:31 AM
This is the ingredients list from there website...

Water Sodium Lauryl Sulfate Cocamidopropyl Betaine Cocamide DEA Glycol Distearate Sodium Chloride Propylene Glycol Fragrance Hydrolyzed Collagen Citric Acid Methylchloroisothiazolinone/Methylisothiazolinone Butylphenyl Methylpropional

Arden
August 3rd, 2012, 11:38 AM
MY hair was just past midback Since high school. In 2009, I tried it. I heard it grows hair. By
2010 at age 54, it grew to waist. I still use it. I added two capfuls of olive oil to the shampoo.
To make it soft. Now my hair is at hip. It's my little miracle shampoo. That was me Akilina. It's not for everybody. Akilina, have you thought about using it again? You could add 2-4 capfuls of oil to the shampoo, then use another shampoo to get the oil out? You never know it might work.

Ingredients dont read well... but that being said this ^^^^ is making me curious to try it again....

I didnt use it long enough befor to notice if it made my hair grow faster... and my growth has been seeming a little on the stunted side of this this month..... hrmmm

catamonica
August 3rd, 2012, 11:43 AM

catamonica
August 3rd, 2012, 12:32 PM
Sorry about the double post. Don't know what happened there. Arden, you should try it again. But put two capfuls of your favorite oil in the shampoo. It will make it softer. The first time I tried it, I added fourteen capfuls of olive oil. Then used another shampoo to get the oil out. It grew fourteen inches. Possibly, the oil helped. I'm not sure. But I am trying an experiment. I added fourteen capfuls of oil, with a normal shampoo & horse shampoo. Then in another small bottle, a normal shampoo with less oil. Shampoo twice, conditioner twice. It helps my dry hair. Once a week, plus a scalp wash. I want to see if it will grow another fourteen
inches. Just have to wait & see. I hope it helps your hair.