PDA

View Full Version : Demi vs Semi Permanent Color

Artisticat
August 2nd, 2012, 09:31 PM
I had some highlights which were done by a hairdresser 7 months ago (bad layered/razored haircut, but that's another story! :(). I thought the highlights looked too "stripey" and badly placed so I used Clairol Natural Instincts to tone down the color.

Now I've got about 3-4 inches of virgin hair speckled with a few greys here and there. I'm thinking my virgin hair is a bit dull looking (was a toe headed child, but now I would consider my natural hair a light-medium brown). I've got a kinda ombre thing going on and doesn't look bad, but it doesn't look great either. :rolleyes:

Should I wait and give more time for my virgin hair to grow before I put any coloring on it? How damaging are demis vs semis (pros and cons)?

Thanks!!!

juicy-glitter
August 2nd, 2012, 09:41 PM
Ive been wondering the same thing, kinda wanna hide the highlights for a couple of inches until I can call my hair "ombre" not just grown out roots

Artisticat
August 2nd, 2012, 10:16 PM
Found this article... looks like semi permanent is kinder to the hair???
http://www.livestrong.com/article/69199-demi-permanent-vs.-semi-permanent/

UltraBella
August 3rd, 2012, 12:34 AM
A semi color has no developer, it simply coats the hair and washes away fairly quickly. A Demi has a peroxide developer, just enough to let the color penetrate the hair shaft, giving it longer lasting results, but the color "should" slowly fade out. A permanent color has a strong developer that lifts your natural color and replaces it with the new color, within a certain shade level. A developer can not lift darker hair to a light shade, that is where bleach comes into play.

Hopefully that helps and makes sense, I am so so sleepy right now !