PDA

View Full Version : Weird curl pattern or damaged hair??

jojo89
August 2nd, 2012, 05:13 PM
My hair is Straight with a slight wave except for a couple sections at the nape of my neck. These sections are almost spiral curls halfway down the length then straight the rest of the way. It's very odd to me.. I'm wondering if it is mostly straight everywhere else cuz of color/bleach damage. I have only colored the underneath twice tops in the past year so the curly qs have only been colored a couple times. Another thought is that maybe since my hair is thinner in those spots they curl better. I'm confused, what do you think? Does anyone elses hair do this and if so is it healthy?

akilina
August 2nd, 2012, 05:28 PM
I would think that if the hair were really unhealthy, it would not even want to curl there. It would just want to be
How old are you?
When I was a teen, my hair was wavy and frizzy and funky up until about 16, then it became really greasy and funky, and now at age 21, my hair is actually showing strange and interesting curl and wave patterns here and there I have never seen before. I wish it would all just have these curls all over! They are rather interesting. Kind of big loose long spirally curlies, yet only on two parts of my hair ??? :S
I think thru all your ages, your hair will constantly change. Its just another phase for you.

Maybe where the ends are straight and flat, it is a little more damaged. I also think that anything you might feel is "weird" about any part of your body you might as well go ahead and assume that complete weirdness is normal.

jacqueline101
August 2nd, 2012, 07:06 PM
I'd say your hair has a unique curl pattern. If it was damaged it would be splitting breaking and looking terrible. It would friz up and not curl as normal. I had perm curls that weren't healthy and they would get frizzy and then splits would break off. I'm sure yours are normal curls different pattern.

ladonna
August 2nd, 2012, 08:19 PM
Try weekly smt and scrunching and you may find you are a curly.

lmfbs
August 2nd, 2012, 08:25 PM
I'd say your hair has a unique curl pattern. If it was damaged it would be splitting breaking and looking terrible. It would friz up and not curl as normal. I had perm curls that weren't healthy and they would get frizzy and then splits would break off. I'm sure yours are normal curls different pattern.

Not necessarily - I have areas that are bleached (highlights - never again!). They don't split any more than the rest of my hair and don't break any more than normal, but the curl pattern is totally off in those areas. They're more like a 1a when the rest of my hair is more 2c.

Rini
August 2nd, 2012, 08:51 PM
I used to think that if my hair was healthier, it would curl more. It turns out I was wrong. The parts of my hair that are 100% virgin and ultra healthy curl in the same way they always did. I have some ringlets, some s-curls, some soft waves and even one or two straight bits and condition doesn't seem to make a difference. I also have tight spirals that go into straight ends. I'd say it's nothing to worry about :)

jojo89
August 3rd, 2012, 07:47 AM
alkilina- I say maybe it's just weird curl pattern cuz it is only the new growth in a couple sections. So the hair that is curly isn't damaged, but the rest is. It is curly til like midshaft then turns straight (where I assume it's damaged.) I am 22.
lmfbs- same, it makes me wonder if I had virgin hair if it was curly. I really wish my hair would scrunch.
Rini- I wasn't worried, I was hopeful lol. I really wish my hair was curly or at least wavy and I thought maybe it'd get like that if it was healthy everywhere, but you're probably right, just my curl pattern.