PDA

View Full Version : Best Vitamins

Jenny777
August 2nd, 2012, 03:00 PM
Hi all... trying to decide which new vitamin regimen I should start... I'm thinking of using the Hair Skin and Nails one or prenatal ones... not sure which is better. I want to add another vitamin with omega 3 as well but I have never tried one. I currently take a multi vitamin by nature's gate, and I eat lots of veggies, fruit, homemade smoothies, lots of water, many use organic brands, and cook heathly too but I need to add some extra goodies that the vitamins offer! I'd appreciate some advice from anyone!

Thanks ;)

jojo89
August 2nd, 2012, 03:05 PM
I have no advice, but I just started taking the Hair Skin and Nails vitamins from Walgreens. They smell and taste bad and are HUGE. Sorry I'm no help lol

lole18
August 2nd, 2012, 03:05 PM
ive been taking hair skin and nails for a 5 weeks and didnt see any differencce when do u think will there be a difference in the shedding and new growth?

lmfbs
August 2nd, 2012, 03:08 PM
It can take up to 3 months of taking vitamins to make a difference.

If you have a good balanced diet, you don't need additional supplimentation. If anything, a good quality multi will cover all your needs (unless of course there's additional health concerns or deficiencies)

Little Unicorn
August 2nd, 2012, 03:41 PM
B complex and biotin are very good for hair. Personally, I just take a multivitamin gummie (not because I can't swallow, but because my sister likes these ones more, and we share the vitamins) each day. Tastes like candy.

Shepherdess
August 2nd, 2012, 03:52 PM
I was taking a Hair Skin & Nails vitamin supplement for a while that I bought from a Wal-mart Pharmacy area. Now I am taking a Hair, Skin & Nails supplement that I bought at a GNC vitamin store from Futurebiotics. The new supplements are a lot harder to swallow and don't smell as good, but they sure seem to have a lot more vitamins for the money.
I really do see a difference in my hair and nail growth at least (I've been having to trim my nails so frequently lately). I also take Evening primrose oil and Salmon oil supplements for the Fatty acids. Then the last supplement I usually take is a thyroid vitamin supplement.

I used to have a lot of trouble with skin rashes and ever since I started taking supplements those have disappeared. So I know they are doing a lot of good. :)

Vampyria
August 2nd, 2012, 03:54 PM
Jenny777, I take ground millet and nutritional yeast. They contain minerals, vitamin B complex,... I like it because these are not synthetic vitamins, and is cheaper than tablets and such.

lole18, I've been taking vitamins for hair for almost 2 years and I have noticed baby hairs after 3 months or so. My thickness increased, but of course the real difference was visible when new hair grew around 10 inches. But if you don't have a vitamin deficiency, the difference may not be as visible as you may hope.

AnnaB
August 2nd, 2012, 04:01 PM
Have you read this thread?
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=83

theres alot to learn from other's mistakes :P

I personally cannot take vitamin B as it makes me ill.

I have also compared the Hair skin and nails vitamins, with parental ones and with normal vitamins for women, and the last one was the best. The component list was similar to multi vit, but much better than hair skin and nails.

I take one multi vit, one vitamin E and one fish oil.

Just make sure you don't take any vitamins on empty stomach, I did once, It made me so ill, I almost fainted.

AnnaB
August 2nd, 2012, 04:07 PM
oh and I eat jelly (Jell-O) every day! the gelatin in it helps hair and nails to be stronger, but even if its a lie i LOVE jelly (Jell-O) :P xx

dreamcatcher_
August 2nd, 2012, 05:17 PM
I have seen amazing noticeable results from Ultra Hair PLUS vitamins. I ordered them off swansonvitamins.com 3 months ago, and have been using them ever since. I see about an inch of growth a month, and they give me great energy as well! You can either get the formula with added MSM or without, I personally use the one with MSM because of its benefits. I will continue to use these and hope I keep getting the same results!

akilina
August 2nd, 2012, 05:23 PM
Hey thanks your thread reminded me to take my vitamins today !! :D
I take a regular multi vitamin, vitamin E, Calcium, and a B complex vitamin for stress relief. Just so happens hair LOVES B vitamins, so it helps me in two ways.

I had a client that swore by omega 3 fish oil. She said it really helped her hair grow back in after the medications she was on made her thin so so badly. :) Worth a try.
Just remember....you don't need to overdose yourself on vitamins just for a little more hair growth. Some out there take WAY too much biotin, and other things. To me, it is incredibly pointless.

Your hair skin and nails vitamin you might get will have just enough biotin in it. The only thing that is a down side about hair skin and nails supplements is that often, they recommend you take 3 a day. That means you have to take 3 a day to actually GET the nutrition labeled on the bottle. This is why I would say get a good multi vitamin, and perhaps a B vitamin complex. :)
I take calcium and vitamin D for my health in general. I find when I take them I am a happier person. I take the vitamin E just because...I have it around and need to use it up. I have read it helps your body in replenishing its sources.

Ive been taking these for 3 weeks consistently. I can say my hair is incredibly shiny and appears healthy. My nails are AMAZING!!! They are actually getting long. If anything, don't expect the vitamins to really make your hair grow faster, but do expect a good healthy happy base for your hair to be nourished by and grow silky and shiny and healthy.

Simone_Fatale
August 2nd, 2012, 06:30 PM
I just started taking B complex by Natural Wealth two weeks ago... So far, the only results are my nails which now need to be trimmed every couple of days. I'll see how it effects my hair growth in a couple of months, I guess. One of my friends has been taking the same vitamins for almost two years now and her hair grows faster, almost 1 inch per month. I'm hoping to get the same results or at least healthier hair :)

jacqueline101
August 2nd, 2012, 06:52 PM
I use hair skin and nail vitamins.

Jenny777
August 2nd, 2012, 07:13 PM
You guys rock! Thank ya all for the recommendations. I have read some good advice and plan on using it :D :applause

PixxieStix
August 2nd, 2012, 07:48 PM
I've been taking Hair, Skin and Nails (2 pills every day to every other day), fish oil, and vitamin E (few times a week) for well over half a year, and have not noticed it doing anything special for my hair or nails. I have a pretty good diet though, so who knows? I might not need them, but I figure a little can't hurt. Once they are gone though I'm going to switch over to a regular multivitamin once every other day or so. The HSN ones taste so awful!

Dang3rousB3auty
August 2nd, 2012, 08:36 PM
God I wish I could take a bunch of vitamins everyday. Every time I try I feel like I am going to gag on it or throw up. Then afterwards my poor stomach is not very happy. Not fun times. If I am going to take any kind of vitamins/herbs/pain relievers I have to do it with food. It sounds like you eat really well, and you should be getting most vitamins you need already from food. Your body can only process so much. I would definitely take an Omega 3 and you can actually take coconut oil internally which is really good for you too :P

Dang3rousB3auty
August 2nd, 2012, 08:42 PM
You can also drink ACV (I would make sure to get organic kind like the Braggs) diluted in some water. It's supposed to be really good for you(I don't remember the exact reason I have it in a book around here somewhere). Also I heard a table spoon of honey a day is incredibly good for you too(again organic unfiltered honey). You could also put the honey in tea or water if you don't like eating it straight up.

Little Unicorn
August 2nd, 2012, 09:27 PM
God I wish I could take a bunch of vitamins everyday. Every time I try I feel like I am going to gag on it or throw up. Then afterwards my poor stomach is not very happy. Not fun times. If I am going to take any kind of vitamins/herbs/pain relievers I have to do it with food. It sounds like you eat really well, and you should be getting most vitamins you need already from food. Your body can only process so much. I would definitely take an Omega 3 and you can actually take coconut oil internally which is really good for you too :P

I know what you mean :( I hate swallowing pills because my throat is so tiny that pills rarely go down. I find multivitamin gummies/ chewable vitamins are ok though.

Simone_Fatale
August 2nd, 2012, 09:52 PM
You can also drink ACV (I would make sure to get organic kind like the Braggs) diluted in some water. It's supposed to be really good for you(I don't remember the exact reason I have it in a book around here somewhere). Also I heard a table spoon of honey a day is incredibly good for you too(again organic unfiltered honey). You could also put the honey in tea or water if you don't like eating it straight up.

ACV does clear the whole body of toxins, it's often mentioned as an effective acne treatment. But I must add that you should drink it using a straw to avoid contact with teeth as it is very acidic and can errode tooth enlamel. :)

cwarren
August 3rd, 2012, 12:54 AM
Hairfinity works for me. Its kind of expensive, so I don't take it 2x daily as directed. I take one pill a day and that seems to be sufficient.