PDA

View Full Version : Dry Scalp AKA "Dandruff" help

Arden
August 2nd, 2012, 12:30 PM
Ok, so I know what I have isnt "dandruff" in the true sense. Or at least i'm fairly certian it's not. But the last two days I've started noticing alot of flakes.

I havent really dont anything diffrent with my hair recently. The only thing I can maybe say is that my head has been sweaty alot more due to the summer heat.

I am a sulfate free, low to no cone user.

Any suggestions?

Do you think claifying might help? Or should I go buy a "dandruff' shampoo.

I have had this problem in the past but it's really like a once in awhile kind of thing. Not chronic... but it's getting on my nevers.... any suggestions?

...also... I am noticing an extra amount of "fallout" as well

Picotee
August 2nd, 2012, 02:00 PM
Dandruff and dry scalp aren't the same thing. Dry scalp is an overaccumulation of shed skin cells, whereas dandruff is caused by an overproduction of sebum. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dandruff
If you have little white flakes only then you've got a dry scalp.
If it's scaly and chunky and yellowy, then it's dandruff (or psoriasis).
It's common to get itchy and flaky in the summer through sweating- sweaty scalp will breed bacteria and other ickiness.

Picotee
August 2nd, 2012, 02:13 PM
I wanted to add that going sulfate-free doesn't mean you aren't using something drying on the scalp. I tried many shampoos without them and they still dried my scalp out and made it tight. You may want to try the conditioner-only method.At least you aren't stripping moisture.

Clarifying gets rid of the built-up crap on the hair and scalp but the scalp is still left dry. Don't use any cones near or on the scalp, in fact, with dry scalp I would suggest never using any styling product on the scalp (like volumizers) as this adds to the itching and flaking.

Aredhel77
August 2nd, 2012, 02:17 PM
I have heard that dilute ACV (apple cider vinegar) rinses can be soothing to a scalp that's out of balance. Might be worth a try?

A plain vegetable oil might be helpful if you massage it into your scalp as well. Coconut, sweet almond or avocado for example :flower:

Arden
August 2nd, 2012, 04:35 PM
I have heard that dilute ACV (apple cider vinegar) rinses can be soothing to a scalp that's out of balance. Might be worth a try?

A plain vegetable oil might be helpful if you massage it into your scalp as well. Coconut, sweet almond or avocado for example :flower:

I used peppermint castel liquid soap today.. followed with an ACV rinse and some grapefruit no cone conditioner while I shaved.... we'll see how that works

I have been using Giovanna for about a month but was planning on going back to the above method (which was my previous routine) when I found out Giovanni changed there indgredients....

I'll update you guys on if that helps.... Also when I was doing the above before my hair was stronger (didn't shed as much) and seemed to grow alot faster...

lmfbs
August 2nd, 2012, 04:41 PM
ACV can help. I found the thing that helped me the most was coconut oil scalp massages.

Madora
August 2nd, 2012, 04:42 PM
Daily brushing with a pure bbb helps get rid of a lot of dry flakes. I have a dry scalp also and my brush is a big help keeping the flakiness to a minimum.

EndlessSunshine
August 2nd, 2012, 06:26 PM
Peppermint Castille soap is so invigorating. I recommend the coconut oil and acv rinses because dandruff could be dry skin, fungus, bacteria, build up. The oiling and rinse will combat pretty much all of that.

jacqueline101
August 2nd, 2012, 06:57 PM
I think monistat helps mine.

Dang3rousB3auty
August 2nd, 2012, 09:21 PM
If it is just flaky and it's not sore or tender you could do a scalp scrub with olive oil/coconut oil and sugar. Just be very gentle. A lot of people who think they have "dandruff" really do not in the real description of dandruff. People I know who have used dandruff shampoos when they just had a flaky scalp had the problem get worse. Your scalp is skin and needs it moisture too :)

Arden
August 3rd, 2012, 11:08 AM
If it is just flaky and it's not sore or tender you could do a scalp scrub with olive oil/coconut oil and sugar. Just be very gentle. A lot of people who think they have "dandruff" really do not in the real description of dandruff. People I know who have used dandruff shampoos when they just had a flaky scalp had the problem get worse. Your scalp is skin and needs it moisture too :)

Well that is one of the many reasons I am trying to find alternative options first....

i'm pretty sure it's just dry scalp... BUT there is a possibilty it is eczama... (or however you spell it) ...I have very very very mild eczema sometimes.... It's not red or noticable to anyone but me but I get little patches... like a extra layer of dermal cells sometimes in random spots... like on my arms or somthing... I wouldnt even know they where there if I didnt feel them...

My scalp is a little tender in some spots... but thats because it's got a really mild itch to it... I scratch thoughtlessly and then it gets irritated... cycle continues... flakes, little itch, scratch, irritated, flakes more, itch....

It's hereditary... My grandmother has it too sometimes... but she's never bothered to have it checked out... she just notices it... and complains... lol

Zesty
August 3rd, 2012, 12:43 PM
I have eczema and have had this problem basically my whole life. Mine is very very minimal to nonexistent at this point, even when I stretch my washes to 4 days, and I think things that made a difference are: diluted vinegar rinses after washing (ACV or white, it doesn't seem to make a difference), switching OFF of Head&Shoulders shampoo, and changing my diet to avoid grains and refined sugars (sort of a soft paleo/primal diet). Between these three things I have virtually no flaking. Occasionally I will LIGHTLY EVOO my scalp before washing and CO it out, and that also seems to help. Good luck. :flower: