PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Maybe
August 2nd, 2012, 12:22 PM
My ends are dry but don't appear to be split (that I can see anyway).

Currently I am flatironing most days. My hair is APL and thick so it cannot go into an updo neatly and professionally enough for work at this point.

I cringe pretty much every time I pick up the flat iron but I don't really think I have any other options at this point.

Would you trim the dry ends off OR let it grow a couple more inches so it could go up into a LWB or such and I can lay off the straightening? Since I have long layers the only style I can do now, a cinnabun, looks very messy. I can't get all my ends tucked into a french twist.

I am open to other suggestions too.

Thanks so much for you help!

PinkyCat
August 2nd, 2012, 12:29 PM
I think you should cut out heat all together and learn how to make your waves awesome. When was the last time you tried air drying & scrunching?

akilina
August 2nd, 2012, 12:34 PM
What is your profession?

This may sound dumb...but you did not mention it so... Do you use any kind of heat protectant at least if you are straightening every day? Do you stretch washes so you can have straight hair the next day?
I would start doing heavy oil treatments on the weekends or something, or a DT.
Don't straighten your hair with natural oil on it though. It will have the frying effect. Avoid straightening whenever you can.
Perhaps there is another up do that would work for you and someone else will come chime in.

Maybe
August 2nd, 2012, 12:43 PM
I think you should cut out heat all together and learn how to make your waves awesome. When was the last time you tried air drying & scrunching?

PinkyCat, I airdry every time I wash my hair. It looks good in the back (I will post a pic as soon as I have the newbie restrictions lifted!) and I could *possibly* get away with that at work but the front is straighter (more damaged maybe?). I could maybe do a half-up with a flexi8 or something.

But, it is kind of a mott oint because once I have slept on my airdried waves it is a mess. Defintiely not do-able for work.

Siiri
August 2nd, 2012, 12:48 PM
Have you tried a peacock twist, gibson tuck or a english or french braid? With braids you can also tuck the tassel underneath and attach it with hair pins or a stick. Would they be professional enough for your work?

Maybe
August 2nd, 2012, 12:49 PM
What is your profession?

This may sound dumb...but you did not mention it so... Do you use any kind of heat protectant at least if you are straightening every day? Do you stretch washes so you can have straight hair the next day?
I would start doing heavy oil treatments on the weekends or something, or a DT.
Don't straighten your hair with natural oil on it though. It will have the frying effect. Avoid straightening whenever you can.
Perhaps there is another up do that would work for you and someone else will come chime in.

Akilina, I am in finance.

I wash my hair twice a week. It will not stay staight overnight. I tried wrapping it once when my husband was away. It came off part way through the night but it worked fairly well. I sleep more restlessly when I am not alone in the bed though.

I do a DT on the weekends when I wash my hair.

I put a light amount of olive oil in it at night and a light amount of roucou oil (some "beautifying potion" my hairdresser gave me) in the morning before straightening. Maybe I should stop that?

Do you have any recommendations as to a heat protectant?

I would love to stop with the heat. But I am quite sure I would not make a good impression on clients with my crazy bedhead look that I currently have without straightening.

Once it is long enough for a neat bun I would stop for sure.

akilina
August 2nd, 2012, 12:50 PM
You could also make yourself a parandi and braid it into your hair. You could make it much longer than your actual hair and do some sort of a twisted bun, or a braided bun and put in some hair sticks or a fork. You could make it with different colors and such so it still looks interesting and adds a little bit of flare.

Edit: Heres the link. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=91490&highlight=parandi

earthnut
August 2nd, 2012, 12:52 PM
Regular (weekly probably) protein treatments and deep conditionings/deep oilings will help mitigate the heat damage.

Can you put your hair in an updo for work? There are many updos you could do, and they hide any imperfections in the hair. That's what I'd do: stop the straightening and wear updos everyday for work.

Also, a satin pillowcase or a sleep bonnet will help with the "bedhead" look. Or wear your hair up at night.

Maybe
August 2nd, 2012, 12:53 PM
Have you tried a peacock twist, gibson tuck or a english or french braid? With braids you can also tuck the tassel underneath and attach it with hair pins or a stick. Would they be professional enough for your work?

Hi Siiri, the braids, no, because I have layers starting between chin and collarbone so my braids are messy. My hair is probbaly too long for a peacock twist, unless I cut off the dry ends (which that style emphasizes IMO).

But, maybe a Gibson Tuck, hmmmm. I have never tried that. it would hide my ends too.

Off to find a video tutorial on that one.

If I wore it twice a week, that would save 40% of my straighterning anyway. Thanks for the suggestion!

akilina
August 2nd, 2012, 12:54 PM
Akilina, I am in finance.

I wash my hair twice a week. It will not stay staight overnight. I tried wrapping it once when my husband was away. It came off part way through the night but it worked fairly well. I sleep more restlessly when I am not alone in the bed though.

I do a DT on the weekends when I wash my hair.

I put a light amount of olive oil in it at night and a light amount of roucou oil (some "beautifying potion" my hairdresser gave me) in the morning before straightening. Maybe I should stop that?

Do you have any recommendations as to a heat protectant?

I would love to stop with the heat. But I am quite sure I would not make a good impression on clients with my crazy bedhead look that I currently have without straightening.

Once it is long enough for a neat bun I would stop for sure.
I posted a link for an option you may have in the post above. I would suggest to not use your olive oil before straightening. Think cooking oil in a frying pan....
Usually a heat protectant has cones and synthetic oils so the frying will not happen. Not sure what the ingredients are in the beautifying potion.

Any heat protectant is better than nothing. Look for products that are aimed towards protecting from heat tools. It will usually say on the bottle very clearly. I would go for some kind of creme or serum. Myself and many others have found that sprays tend to have a sticky effect.

Maybe
August 2nd, 2012, 12:55 PM
You could also make yourself a parandi and braid it into your hair. You could make it much longer than your actual hair and do some sort of a twisted bun, or a braided bun and put in some hair sticks or a fork. You could make it with different colors and such so it still looks interesting and adds a little bit of flare.

Edit: Heres the link. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=91490&highlight=parandi

Thank you Akilina, I have never even *heard* of that. I will check it out :)

PinkyCat
August 2nd, 2012, 12:57 PM
PinkyCat, I airdry every time I wash my hair. It looks good in the back (I will post a pic as soon as I have the newbie restrictions lifted!) and I could *possibly* get away with that at work but the front is straighter (more damaged maybe?). I could maybe do a half-up with a flexi8 or something.

But, it is kind of a mott oint because once I have slept on my airdried waves it is a mess. Defintiely not do-able for work.

Or even just clip the front pieces back? How long does it take your hair to air dry? Can your routine be shifted to the morning so you have nice waves?

Maybe
August 2nd, 2012, 12:57 PM
Regular (weekly probably) protein treatments and deep conditionings/deep oilings will help mitigate the heat damage.

Can you put your hair in an updo for work? There are many updos you could do, and they hide any imperfections in the hair. That's what I'd do: stop the straightening and wear updos everyday for work.

Also, a satin pillowcase or a sleep bonnet will help with the "bedhead" look. Or wear your hair up at night.

Hi Earthnut, I jsut picked up a satin pillowcase and slept on it for the first time last night.

Sadly my hair seems just a tad short for a neat updo. It's APL but pretty thick and has layers starting between chin and collarbone length.

I will research protein treatments, thank you.

sakuraemily
August 2nd, 2012, 12:58 PM
A gibson tuck ought to do the trick. If not I'd go for option 2.

Maybe
August 2nd, 2012, 12:59 PM
Or even just clip the front pieces back? How long does it take your hair to air dry? Can your routine be shifted to the morning so you have nice waves?

Yes, maybe a half up with the front pieces twisted back into a flexi8 or something. I tried it with a mini clawclip but it didn't look polished enough. I have a small, fairly plain flexi8 in the mail to me now.....
My hair takes 3+ hours to dry :(

Maybe
August 2nd, 2012, 01:01 PM
I posted a link for an option you may have in the post above. I would suggest to not use your olive oil before straightening. Think cooking oil in a frying pan....
Usually a heat protectant has cones and synthetic oils so the frying will not happen. Not sure what the ingredients are in the beautifying potion.

Any heat protectant is better than nothing. Look for products that are aimed towards protecting from heat tools. It will usually say on the bottle very clearly. I would go for some kind of creme or serum. Myself and many others have found that sprays tend to have a sticky effect.

Do you think the olive oil in the night before I straighten in the morning is an issue?

OK, great, I tried the sprays before and hated them too, will look for a creme or serum. Thanks.

Maybe
August 2nd, 2012, 01:03 PM
A gibson tuck ought to do the trick. If not I'd go for option 2.

Will just have to get over my phobia that people will point and laugh if I try anything "fancy" :)

I will research how to do this and what tools I need (just pins i think?). Thanks.

Amber_Maiden
August 2nd, 2012, 01:15 PM
Stop flat ironing.

Madora
August 2nd, 2012, 01:16 PM
My ends are dry but don't appear to be split (that I can see anyway).

Currently I am flatironing most days. My hair is APL and thick so it cannot go into an updo neatly and professionally enough for work at this point.

I cringe pretty much every time I pick up the flat iron but I don't really think I have any other options at this point.

Would you trim the dry ends off OR let it grow a couple more inches so it could go up into a LWB or such and I can lay off the straightening? Since I have long layers the only style I can do now, a cinnabun, looks very messy. I can't get all my ends tucked into a french twist.

I am open to other suggestions too.

Thanks so much for you help!

If you can possibly refrain from flat ironing every day, that would be a major improvement. Even with heat protectorant, that's not a hair friendly routine.

As far as styles are concerned, here's a photo tutorial link to the Gibson Tuck:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=49

You also might want to try the sock bun or peacock twist.

Here's a lovely style that's suitable for shorter hair:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

If I were you, I'd forgo any trimming unless the hair is damaged at the ends (lots of splits/white dots). You can use a tiny bit of mineral oil (2 or 3 drops only) to keep the ends moisturized on supple (be sure to dampen the hair first).

As your hair grows longer, you might find it easier to do some buns by sectioning your hair first, instead of trying to put it in one big bun. It also feels more comfortable and doesn't pull on your scalp.

Maybe
August 2nd, 2012, 01:19 PM
Stop flat ironing.

I would love to, but not really sure how to accomplish that and still be able to go to work at this point.

Sounds like I may be able to wear a Gibson Tuck if I can get that figured out. But not everyday.

Maybe
August 2nd, 2012, 01:27 PM
If you can possibly refrain from flat ironing every day, that would be a major improvement. Even with heat protectorant, that's not a hair friendly routine.

As far as styles are concerned, here's a photo tutorial link to the Gibson Tuck:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=49

You also might want to try the sock bun or peacock twist.

Here's a lovely style that's suitable for shorter hair:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

If I were you, I'd forgo any trimming unless the hair is damaged at the ends (lots of splits/white dots). You can use a tiny bit of mineral oil (2 or 3 drops only) to keep the ends moisturized on supple (be sure to dampen the hair first).

As your hair grows longer, you might find it easier to do some buns by sectioning your hair first, instead of trying to put it in one big bun. It also feels more comfortable and doesn't pull on your scalp.

Thanks Madora, I just tried this version of the Gibson twist sitting at my desk and then tried to take a pciture of the back of my head with my phone. Thank goodness for office doors that close. LOL. It actually does not look that bad. Big hole where I stuffed my pony in (I am a 4") so I need to figure out something to cover that with but it's a possibility!

By sectioning, do you mean do a couple of smaller buns, instead of one big one?

Thank you :)

akilina
August 2nd, 2012, 01:27 PM
Thank you Akilina, I have never even *heard* of that. I will check it out :)
It might be a good option for you :) You could use ribbons, or use your resources to find something really pretty you have lying around. Or a really interesting kind of yarn or string. I don't think they look funky at all. It could be really interesting looking and perhaps pair it with a really pretty hair stick. It wouldn't take away from your professional image IMHO.

As for the olive oil....I would stop doing it if you are going to straighten. Use your olive oil for heavy oiling before washing. Or in a DT. My favorite DT is sort of a modified smt. Hopefully I am making sense to you...lol.
I mix conditioner, real aloe vera mashed up to liquid, and a few drops of oil. I let it sit for a few hours. Not too much oil though or you will be left oily. I like to just shampoo, apply the smt, then rinse it out and I am done. Washing after the SMT kind of takes away the point of it.

palaeoqueen
August 2nd, 2012, 01:43 PM
Couldn't you just put it in a ponytail or peacock twist for work? It's off your face then, looks professional but you can stop the daily straightening.

Maybe
August 2nd, 2012, 01:48 PM
It might be a good option for you :) You could use ribbons, or use your resources to find something really pretty you have lying around. Or a really interesting kind of yarn or string. I don't think they look funky at all. It could be really interesting looking and perhaps pair it with a really pretty hair stick. It wouldn't take away from your professional image IMHO.

As for the olive oil....I would stop doing it if you are going to straighten. Use your olive oil for heavy oiling before washing. Or in a DT. My favorite DT is sort of a modified smt. Hopefully I am making sense to you...lol.
I mix conditioner, real aloe vera mashed up to liquid, and a few drops of oil. I let it sit for a few hours. Not too much oil though or you will be left oily. I like to just shampoo, apply the smt, then rinse it out and I am done. Washing after the SMT kind of takes away the point of it.

I haven't anything lying around but I will try to get to a wool shop and have a look. Or maybe I will just buy one online....

Thanks for the clarification regarding the olive oil, I will not use it when I straighten. What you said makes sense. Instead i will oil on the weekends before I wash it.

Maybe
August 2nd, 2012, 01:51 PM
Couldn't you just put it in a ponytail or peacock twist for work? It's off your face then, looks professional but you can stop the daily straightening.

I don't think so, my pony (especially the ends) is pretty messy with slept on waves. Same with the peacock twist. Truthfully the latter doesn'tl ook good on me even when it is straight. My hair is a tad too long I think, it just looks like a lot of ends flopping around. It's Ok for the weekend.

I am kind of stuck at this length. Once I can bun it, I think it will look fine even when wavy.

Nae
August 2nd, 2012, 01:58 PM
Could you curl it with a Caruso? It isn't near as hot as a flat iron and makes really pretty curls. And it only takes about 10 minutes to do. It might be worth a shot until you gain a couple more inches.

Maybe
August 2nd, 2012, 02:21 PM
Could you curl it with a Caruso? It isn't near as hot as a flat iron and makes really pretty curls. And it only takes about 10 minutes to do. It might be worth a shot until you gain a couple more inches.

Madly googling Caruso.....:)

Nae
August 2nd, 2012, 02:24 PM
Madly googling Caruso.....:)

Oh good! I hope it helps you out. I love mine.

BrightEyes
August 2nd, 2012, 02:31 PM

I was going to suggest this too, or trying another heatless curling method.

I personally love my Caruso steam rollers. They give me soft bouncy curls...without the damage from an iron. I have a hard time wearing my hair all down without being "styled" somehow. These rollers are awesome.

palaeoqueen
August 2nd, 2012, 02:42 PM
Sock bun? You can use a hair doughnut for this, I can do one and my hair isn't as long as yours yet, worth a try?

MinderMutsig
August 2nd, 2012, 03:24 PM
Since you asked what *I* would do... I'd cut my hair off to chin where the shortest layer is and find a way to work with the waves instead of against them while growing it out again. It will set you back a year or two lengthwise but it will get rid of the layers which seem to be your major problem and the sole reason you are heatstyling and damaging your hair in the first place.

An alternative would be to chop to shoulder but that would depend on what your hair and your layers look like. At shoulder you could still do peacock twists to keep your hair up and out of your face.

lmfbs
August 2nd, 2012, 03:34 PM
If it were me, I would stop using the flat irons and use some of these suggestions to do nice updos without frying my hair every day.

jacqueline101
August 2nd, 2012, 03:53 PM
I have to admit I don't like heated appliances so I'd say get rid of it but since you need it I'd use a heat protector. I'd use your flat iron on the low heat setting. I'd recommend going natural like curly up dos.

Maybe
August 3rd, 2012, 08:12 AM
Thank you all, based on your suggestions this is what I think I will try.

Last night I slept with it wrapped around my head with a head scarf (hubby was thrilled, NOT!) and didn't have to restraighten this morning. It looked perfect.

I will try a combination of half ups with flexi8s and Gibson tucks with wavy hair. Keep the straightening to once or twice a week (and use a good protectant) and wrap it over night for another straight day the next day.

No oil unless I know I am not going to straighten. For example, I could oil after my straighten on Thursday mornings since I wouldn't straighten again until at least Monday and there is a wash in between there.

Heavy oiling and/or DT on the weekend.

It is not ideal but it takes me down from straightening 5+ times a week to once or twice.

Hopefully I will be able to do a LWB and a couple of others in a couple of months and be able to give up the straightener entirely.

Cutting the layers out won't work for me as if I do want to wear it down (and I think the longer it gets the more of a likely hood this is), I need the layers. Blunt at chin or shoulder length just looks like a big triangle on me.

Will also investigate non or low heat ways to curl that might help we wear it down without looking like I just rolled out of bed with my slept on waves.

Sounds like the begining of a plan anyway! Thanks for all your responses.

palaeoqueen
August 3rd, 2012, 08:39 AM
I sympathise on the triangle issue, I'm at collarbone and still need layers to avoid huge levels of triangularity.

I think any amount of cutting down on straightening will help, good luck!

Kristin
August 3rd, 2012, 10:46 AM
My hair was in a bob and then heavily layered shag before I grew it out. I blowdried and straightened because I have cowlicks and it is also wavy at that length. I DID stop when I realized I wanted to grow it out, but my ends were gross for awhile. One thing that saved my ends was heavy oiling with coconut and castor oils before a wash. I would dampen it, coat with coconut oil, braid, and then soak the ends with castor oil. Leave it for a few hours-overnight, then shampoo and condition. The castor really softened those ends so I didn't need a big chop. Just thinking ahead for you. :)

Maybe
August 3rd, 2012, 02:28 PM
My hair was in a bob and then heavily layered shag before I grew it out. I blowdried and straightened because I have cowlicks and it is also wavy at that length. I DID stop when I realized I wanted to grow it out, but my ends were gross for awhile. One thing that saved my ends was heavy oiling with coconut and castor oils before a wash. I would dampen it, coat with coconut oil, braid, and then soak the ends with castor oil. Leave it for a few hours-overnight, then shampoo and condition. The castor really softened those ends so I didn't need a big chop. Just thinking ahead for you. :)

Thanks, I have packed my castor oil in my overnight bag since we will be away this weekend. They are dry but don't appear to be split or damaged so hopefully this will help :)

Maybe
August 3rd, 2012, 02:29 PM
I sympathise on the triangle issue, I'm at collarbone and still need layers to avoid huge levels of triangularity.

I think any amount of cutting down on straightening will help, good luck!

Gotta love the triangle :)

JellyBene
August 3rd, 2012, 02:37 PM
I would cut of the damage and honestly, stop using heat at all. Giving up my heat was the best thing I ever did for my hair.

Cinnamoon
August 3rd, 2012, 03:17 PM
I would try a Chinese bun. You can do that with shorter hair if you use some pins.

MinderMutsig
August 3rd, 2012, 03:41 PM
I know the dreaded triangle head. Intimately. :rolleyes: It's annoying but it will grow past that. I would prefer triangle head over daily heatstyling but I definitely understand if you don't want to go that route. :o

akilina
August 3rd, 2012, 03:49 PM
I know the dreaded triangle head. Intimately. :rolleyes: It's annoying but it will grow past that. I would prefer triangle head over daily heatstyling but I definitely understand if you don't want to go that route. :o
When I hear "triangle head"

I can not help but to think of Murder Face from Metalocalypse.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l236/wonkalumps/METALOCALYPSE/01murderfaceknife-rs-rt-c.gif

MinderMutsig
August 3rd, 2012, 05:27 PM
When I hear "triangle head"

I can not help but to think of Murder Face from Metalocalypse.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l236/wonkalumps/METALOCALYPSE/01murderfaceknife-rs-rt-c.gif

Well that is how it makes me feel but as far as triangle heads are concerned he's an amateur. :p

mzBANGBANG
August 3rd, 2012, 05:55 PM
Not sure if this was said, but if your ends are crunchy and you see no splits, you should definitely clarify them! At least, pour a little vinegar on them next time you wash, right before you condition. Then rinse with cold water to close the cuticle. You'll be surprised how much better it feels, probably won't have to lose any length at all.

Maybe
August 3rd, 2012, 07:08 PM

Yes, I see now that we have very similar hair tyoes :)
I just can't imagine showing up at the office with triangle head :)

Maybe
August 3rd, 2012, 07:09 PM
Not sure if this was said, but if your ends are crunchy and you see no splits, you should definitely clarify them! At least, pour a little vinegar on them next time you wash, right before you condition. Then rinse with cold water to close the cuticle. You'll be surprised how much better it feels, probably won't have to lose any length at all.

i will try that MzBANGBANG :)