PDA

View Full Version : Updos for short hair?

Little Unicorn
August 2nd, 2012, 11:05 AM
My hair is a bit past my shoulders and I always have trouble getting my hair, especially the front, to stay in buns and updos. Also, no matter what style I do with my hair, I have a big "cloud" of tiny hairs sticking out around my head. Are these new hairs that are growing?

So, does anyone know some good styles for the short-haired?

DancingQueen
August 2nd, 2012, 11:16 AM
I am afraid I don't have a lot of skills for updos, especially not short hair. I am still battling to learn the basic skills. ;)

I can't offer any advice for buns, because I can barely make then now. But, at your length, lace braids and stuff like that should look super cute. Some people can even do a french braid. But check out youtube, there are tons of nice videos out there. :)

MinderMutsig
August 2nd, 2012, 11:21 AM
You could try a peacock twist or other kinds of twists with sticks. Braids are also a good idea.

BrightEyes
August 2nd, 2012, 11:23 AM
Is the front of your hair long enough to pull back into a half-up? I wear them often. I secure them with Flexi-8 clips or a clasp clip. I will sometimes twist the top section up into the beginnings of a little bun and secure it with short sticks or a small fork (I love GrahToe Studios micro mini forks for this). I have a pic in my album.

I also do peacock twists and a French-Twist-like style (in my avatar).

Madora
August 2nd, 2012, 11:26 AM
My hair is a bit past my shoulders and I always have trouble getting my hair, especially the front, to stay in buns and updos. Also, no matter what style I do with my hair, I have a big "cloud" of tiny hairs sticking out around my head. Are these new hairs that are growing?

So, does anyone know some good styles for the short-haired?

Those tiny hairs are probably new growth. Some will grow longer while others will remain relatively short. You can help tame those short flyaways with a tiny bit of coconut oil.

As far as updos are concerned, you might like to try this simple two strand lace crown braid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

You can find info for shorter styles such as the sock bun, peacock twist and Gibson Tuck up in the Articles section:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=category&categoryid=1

If you don't know how to braid, now is a good time to learn.

Be sure that before you begin any style, to detangle your hair gently with a wide tooth comb.

Good luck!

Ginger Kitteh
August 2nd, 2012, 11:41 AM
My hair is shoulder-length abouts right now (kind of have the mullet thing going on so it has just touched my back in the back of it and it is almost to my shoulders in the front because I am growing out a pixie). Sometimes I will take a chopstick and just gather half of it up and twist it. I don't know what it's called. I have been known to use pencils, but not recently :D.

Another hairstyle is using a bump-it instead of teasing to preserve your hair and have the top of your hair in a poof and gather what is in the back into a pony tail. You should be able to do this better than me if your hair is all one length.