PDA

View Full Version : Official Place to Vent a Little on Bad Haircuts

ManeSqueeze
August 1st, 2012, 09:38 PM
I've noticed that there's a thing going on where if someone gets a bad haircut, they vent about it here, but do it in a way that makes the wonderful hair stylists here feel hurt (totally understandable).

Why don't we keep it in one place where everyone can vent in a way that doesn't make huge generalizations? We can use this thread to vent about bad hair cuts (whether done by a hair stylist, yourself, or a friend), give tips about how to show what you want and how to find the right stylist for you, and also to talk about our amazing experiences with some amazing stylists? This way there's still a place to get reassuring words that the hair WILL grow out when they're needed, but we're not slandering hair dressers in general.

ManeSqueeze
August 1st, 2012, 09:43 PM
I'll start:
When I was in 1st grade my mom took me to a local place to chop off ALL my hair because there was gum stuck in it. Even though I was crying the hair stylist promptly chopped it off without blinking an eye, and she didn't even try telling my mom that a big spoonful of peanut butter rubbed into the gum and left there for about 10 minutes will break down the gum enough for you to basically just pop it out.

Looking back on it now I realize that she wasn't so cold about the big chop, and even styled it all pretty for me to try to make me feel better. It's funny how hindsight is 20/20.

Rufflebutt
August 1st, 2012, 09:44 PM
Today I accidentally cut off more than I wanted to while trimming my hair. Uggghhh

brave
August 1st, 2012, 09:50 PM
Last haircut I got, sometime in february or earlier, was at Mastercuts. I'd gone there a lot and they aways did a perfectly fine job and for a very good price. This time the stylist was new, and we chatted away because I figured she knew what she was doing. I had asked for about 1/4th of an inch to be taken off because I wanted to grow it out.

Bam, 2 inches gone. On top of it I think she used a razor to thin the ends (I didn't know any better). I went home and didn't realize how much shorter it was until a little later, and the ends seemed worse than before in terms of frizz.

In Mastercut's defense, I heard she got fired shortly after (we had mutual friends and had been in the same classes, but I never ran into her again). So I would definitely trust them with my hair again, it was just bad luck.

Now I'm looking forward to getting a fancy hair cut at a salon, with someone who my mom has gone to twice. She has heard of cowashing and etc, so I have high hopes.

akilina
August 1st, 2012, 09:51 PM
:D
I like your thread <3

I am not perfect. Honestly? I currently have a HORRIBLE self inflicted haircut believe it or not! :] I look like I have....3...different haircuts..in one. 0___0 I somehow managed to give myself a SERIOUS V weight line, which I absolutely hate. Looks great on others, hate it on me.

Both sides of my face framing are completely different. And, I am growing out an undercut and chopped off the only piece of hair that was making it look blended and unnoticeable. The right side looks like I have an undercut bob (curls under) and the other side flips out like Farrah Fawcett!
There is no hope for this disgraceful cut anytime soon. Luckily for me, it blends well enough with my hairs wave pattern so I can push it just right and the general public doesn't stare in horror.

I look back and wonder if I did ever get a bad haircut from a salon...I really can not remember D: I was fairly aloof to what was "good" and "bad" though so I probably liked it either way :P

neko_kawaii
August 1st, 2012, 10:22 PM
Once I went from long to a pixie and absolutely loved it but I couldn't afford to go back to the same salon to have it maintained. I was with my husband when he went to some chain salon for his hair cut and I thought, hey, I can afford this and asked the lady to trim my pixie back into shape. Worst. Haircut. Ever. Thus began my habit of getting expensive cuts every three years and letting it grow between times.

momoftwo708
August 1st, 2012, 10:29 PM
By me trimmed my front layers without realizing I gather too much of my non layers so it now looks like my front hair short n the back is longer crazy an worst haircut beside the one when I was 10 and had my hair cut shoulders and layers cried and wore my hair Half up n half down for a year

spirals
August 1st, 2012, 10:29 PM
I was just trying to clean up my front layers in April when I accidently gave myself long bangs. I had just grown out my bangs.

CurlyCap
August 1st, 2012, 10:42 PM
I usually giggle a bit when a see a new "Official" thread, but I actually think LHC needs this one.

Kudos on starting it OP.

Kaelee
August 1st, 2012, 10:47 PM
By me trimmed my front layers without realizing I gather too much of my non layers so it now looks like my front hair short n the back is longer crazy an worst haircut beside the one when I was 10 and had my hair cut shoulders and layers cried and wore my hair Half up n half down for a year

Like this? *snicker*

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a133/Danmara/001600x800-1.jpg

(That was a 'professional' hackjob by the way. Her behavior as well was anything BUT professional. I just about cried after this haircut.)

lmfbs
August 1st, 2012, 10:48 PM
Not so much a bad cut, but bad salon experience. I went to my usual hairdresser and asked for blonde highlights in my dark auburn hair. She told me they'd fry my hair and look horrible, but I insisted, and finally she agreed to put in 1/2 the number I asked for.

Surprise surprise, she was right, they fried my hair something awful. I actually loved the way they looked for about 6 months, then they started getting brassy and the damage became really apparent.

I wish I had followed her suggestion of lowlights and long layers instead.

Amorice
August 1st, 2012, 10:56 PM
When I was but a wee Otaku, I really wanted Sailor Moon's bangs. I asked my mom to take me to her stylist, who usually was very protective of my hair length and always wanted to french braid it insted of cut it! But, obviously she didn't know what "Sailor Moon Bangs" were, and apparently was of the opinion that bangs of any type wouldn't suit me at all, and somehow convinced me to cut my hair to shoulder instead (don't remember how long it was at the time, but I pretty much always had MBL or longer). Turns out, when my hair is cut short, it flips in on itself a little, framing my very round face in a BAD BAD way. I didn't let scissors touch my hair for 5 or 6 years after that (which I had to pay for with a 4" chop when I finally came to my senses!)

akilina
August 1st, 2012, 11:39 PM
Like this? *snicker*

(That was a 'professional' hackjob by the way. Her behavior as well was anything BUT professional. I just about cried after this haircut.)
Oh man I remember you showing us this one! It makes me want to cry too >___<;

Kaelee
August 1st, 2012, 11:46 PM
Oh man I remember you showing us this one! It makes me want to cry too >___<;

It's all grown out now! :D

I don't know what was worse, the cut, or EVERYONE telling me "oh it's actually a cute cut! You just have to style it!!" Um...no. Is that supposed to make me feel better? I know you're lying...lol. Except for one guy who said to me "yea that looks like crap! Why did they do that to you? Who DOES that! I don't get it." :D

kuroneko
August 1st, 2012, 11:46 PM
Back when I was in 8th grade or so, I thought it was so cool to razor my hair and get choppy random layers....I will never forgive myself :angry:

akilina
August 2nd, 2012, 12:44 AM
It's all grown out now! :D

I don't know what was worse, the cut, or EVERYONE telling me "oh it's actually a cute cut! You just have to style it!!" Um...no. Is that supposed to make me feel better? I know you're lying...lol. Except for one guy who said to me "yea that looks like crap! Why did they do that to you? Who DOES that! I don't get it." :D
Good thing you ran into an honest guy, That sounds mean, but I would so much rather someone be honest!
I just can't believe another hairdresser would leave ya like that!
The scenario of "just style it it will look better" reminds me of..... I was doing makeup on a girl. So lets just say, nature...is NOT in her favor. I feel bad for her, in every way. Not to mention she was all strung out on heroine. She asked me to do her makeup and I did it just for practice. I was embarrassed...there was nothing I could do to make her look better, in fact she just started looking worse and worse.

woolyleprechaun
August 2nd, 2012, 01:13 AM
When I was a little girl, a stylist cut my BCL iii hair off into a bob. It had a full, blunt fringe and no shaping or layering....so it became a helmet. I wore it tiny pigtail stumps with a clip in the fringe ffor about two years :(

Tota
August 2nd, 2012, 01:23 AM
I had a lot of bad hairdresser experiences, but my last bad cut was my fault. I found thinning shears in the local drugstore. I thought "wow, that's so cool!" I really went crazy with it and the results were devastating. My hemline is still recovering:/

palaeoqueen
August 2nd, 2012, 03:54 AM
Like this? *snicker*

Oh you poor thing :(

When I had my hair cut in December she talked me into having "long layers". Now to be fair long layers do work well for me when my hair is shorter as it's quite wavy and gets very voluminous. Unfortunately she cut the layers as if I had a parting slightly to the right, I told her I never wear it that way, she told me it didn't matter.

Anyway.. once I'd washed it myself it turned out it matters A LOT. My right side was like in your picture, like she'd just cut a massive step into my hair while the left was quite nice. I went back to complain and she evened it up for me but of course she couldn't put back hair so even now, eight months later, I have a big step in the right side which is much more heavily layered than the left. Thank goodness I have wavy hair that I no longer straighten because at least the waves hide the awful layers somewhat.