PDA

View Full Version : How long did it take you to get from shoulder to waist?

AutumnJasmine
August 1st, 2012, 08:17 PM
I know everyone's hair is different. My hair varies from 1/2 an inch to 1 inch a month. I spent the last year growing out hair and cutting the damage off. Now I am ready to just let it grow. What was your experience like and how long did it take you?

Rufflebutt
August 1st, 2012, 08:33 PM
I honestly can't remember, since my hair grew from benign neglect way before I came to these forums. In fact, I don't think I've ever had hair shorter than BSL at any point in my life. My hair is currently almost to hip and I guess that's my "starting" point on these forums.

SerinaDaith
August 1st, 2012, 08:51 PM
I'll be lurking here since I am in the same boat. I havea lot of mini goals with rough estimates but hearing actual people who have done it would a) be good for my reality and b) be good for my morale! Thank you for starting this up!

lmfbs
August 1st, 2012, 08:59 PM
I went from shoulder to waist in 21 months, with a couple of trims small trims. My hair grows on average just over an inch a month (up to 2 in summer, about .9 inches in winter). I also have a long neck and a high waist, so it was about 17 inches or so it had to grow.

I think that's probably faster than 'typical'.

elbow chic
August 1st, 2012, 09:10 PM
I guess probably about three years. Maybe a lil more. I did get a cut at some point in there: didn't actively choose to grow it out til I was around APL.

I don't measure really at all since it seems pointless: it's either gonna grow or it ain't and messing around with a measuring tape only makes me cranky. So I can't say if my growth rate is particularly slow or fast. Pretty average, I'd guess.

SerinaDaith
August 1st, 2012, 09:15 PM
My current guess is that I will take four to five years to see waist if I am lucky, the pic in my siggy is the longest I have gotten and my mom has hit terminal at just below BSL but she is not nice to her hair at all.

jeanniet
August 1st, 2012, 11:28 PM
It took two years fom chin to waist, maybe a tad less, so I'd say from shoulder was somewhere between 18 and 20 months.

Diamond.Eyes
August 1st, 2012, 11:37 PM
It took me about 19 months, but I have a high-waist and a fast growth rate. My experience was fine; I felt a little uneasy about growing it out because it seemed like I had a long journey ahead of me, but I stuck to COing throughout that growing period and did very frequent heavy-oilings. I felt like these methods helped my new, virgin growth be all that it could be. :flower:

BlazingHeart
August 1st, 2012, 11:42 PM
I've gone from shoulder to waist in just over a year, but I have very fast-growing hair (over an inch a month) and I'm very short-waisted

bubblyredhead
August 1st, 2012, 11:50 PM
roughly 3 years, that is with cutting roughtly 16 or so inches during those 3 years maybe more. I had a lot of damage to get rid of and then to minimize the layers which im still working on cutting them out.

thatjengirl1
August 1st, 2012, 11:52 PM
it took me about a year and a half to two years for me to grow from shoulder to waist on my body

AutumnJasmine
August 2nd, 2012, 12:07 AM
Thank you for all the replies. Sometimes growth goes so slow, so it is good to hear your stories.

lundmir
August 2nd, 2012, 12:36 AM
I think it took a year and a half to two years.

pink.sara
August 2nd, 2012, 12:37 AM
I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. Almost no trims and 3 years. But my hair usually only grows 1cm to half an inch a month and waist for me is 34 inches so your journey will be shorter no doubt.

Cinnamoon
August 2nd, 2012, 12:41 AM
About 2 years.

PolarCathy
August 2nd, 2012, 12:44 AM
I'm a slow grower. I cut back to about shoulder in Nov 2010, so just before I joined. I'm at MBL now, but I'm 6' tall. I'm stalling for the third time in these less than two years, with not one millimeter of growth now for 2.5 months... Waist on me is around 32-33". I'm praying to reach it this year (unlikely). :horse:

akilina
August 2nd, 2012, 12:51 AM
Ugh bummer. Looks like I have another year to go until waist. Maybe more. My first true hair goal (if I ever) is hitting BSL. I feel like my first "REAL" hair goal is more like waist though.
I seem to be about 2 or more inches away from BSL, but who really knows :/ It changes its mind daily. Luckily, I already got a year out of the way. I chopped to SL last june :)

I always thought I wanted hair to my waist, and that I personally was not attracted to any longer on me, yet I find myself wanting my hair possibly to Hip some day. Who knows, after that I may want TB length!

MaryMarx
August 2nd, 2012, 01:14 AM
I'm SL too and aim for WL. I've estimated it to take three years. I just hope those three years will pass quickly...

kidari
August 2nd, 2012, 01:16 AM
it took me about two years

woolyleprechaun
August 2nd, 2012, 01:24 AM
I grow a text book half inch a month, regardless of length or time of year (I know this because my silver blonde roots look awful with my henna hair!)
Its been about two years since shoulder, and im about 4-5 inches off waist. Id round it up to three years. For me, its been about a year per milestone (shldr-APL-BSL-WL)

bratz81
August 2nd, 2012, 01:33 AM
Good to hear all these replies and see how long I have in front of me!!
I'm aiming for waist to start, which is 30 inches on me. I started here in September 2011 at 17.5 inches and I'm now 23.5 inches with some trims - I usually grow about 0.5 inches a month.

I start at shoulder length, and I'm now past APL and 2.5 inches from BSL which is 26 inches. I'm hoping for BSL by the end of this year then waist hopefully by August next year which would be 2 years from shoulder to waist. But some of this is guesswork!

Mononoke
August 2nd, 2012, 01:35 AM
It took me about 16 months without any trims (except S&D).

PolarCathy
August 2nd, 2012, 01:38 AM
It's very reassuring for me too to read these replies because I thought that most people do it in way less than 2 years. That's how it seemed to me. Sure we shouldn't compare but it does hurt when one feels so stuck..

jojo
August 2nd, 2012, 03:54 AM
It took me just short of 3 years to grow from shoulders to waist with trims along the way.

pink.sara
August 2nd, 2012, 07:44 AM
It's very reassuring for me too to read these replies because I thought that most people do it in way less than 2 years. That's how it seemed to me. Sure we shouldn't compare but it does hurt when one feels so stuck..

Agreed!

It drives me a bit :taz: when someone new shows up, declares their hair has grown from shoulder to hip in a year then disappears.

It's frustrating enough to watch those that grow an inch a month get there in 18 months flat, but being tall and a slow grower :rolleyes:

It's been a long year between every milestone...!

elbow chic
August 2nd, 2012, 07:57 AM
Depends on how much wave/curl you got going on, too. I'm sure mine is waist now, pulled straight like a tape measure, but its wave pattern kinks it up several inches. :shrug:

Usually I wait til it has hit the milestone in its natural state to say it's officially there.

jojo89
August 2nd, 2012, 08:04 AM
I reallyyyy need to buy a tape measure lol. My hair only grows 1 cm perm month and I have a LOT of damage to get rid of along the way so guess this will be a long journey :-/ It will be worth it though!

palaeoqueen
August 2nd, 2012, 08:24 AM
I have no idea about waist but it's going to take me at least a year from shoulder to APL which seems to be on the longer side than most. I'm on the faster side of average when it comes to growth (so far, it may slow down a lot in winter, I don't know yet) but I'm tall and have a long neck and upper body. I estimate that I'm likely to be in the 2-3 year range for shoulder to waist, at least.

The other thing to remember is that people define "shoulder" in different ways. I considered my hair to be shoulder as soon as it was brushing the very top of my shoulders (where my shoulders join my neck) but some people don't call shoulder until their hair covers the whole shoulders. These people will appear to hit subsequent milestones a lot faster. This effect is further enhanced by differences in height/body proportions.

Tia2010
August 2nd, 2012, 08:36 AM
I cut back to APL after I joined LHC (I know that's not shoulder, but it's all I have to go by :)) -- I have an average growth rate so I keep hitting just shy of waist and trimming back ( I'm a little obsessive about trimming :rolleyes:) so hopefully by my 2 year anniversary I may finally be firmly at waist :)