PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Discouraged

blaketob
August 1st, 2012, 07:56 PM
Hey guys so I'm not sure what's the problem but I'm getting extremely frustrated with my hair! I never seem to have a good hair day.. Not even a decent one in at least 3 weeks. Every time I do a DT or a pre-wash treatment my hair comes out oily and gross looking which never happened in the past when doing my DT and I haven't changed any ingredients. I recently clarified as well and my hair still looks bad. Ugh I'm just so annoyed and don't know what to do to my hair anymore. Thanks for letting me vent LHC!

brave
August 1st, 2012, 08:22 PM
Have you tried clarifying? Could be build up.

SoulOfTheSea
August 1st, 2012, 08:24 PM
You said you clarified, but did you do a moisture treatment, like an SMT, afterwards? If you don't put any moisture back in your hair after clarifying, your hair just stays fried and dried after the clarifying stripped everything off your hair.

brave
August 1st, 2012, 08:28 PM
Wow, sorry about the reading comprehension fail! My bad.

Is it dry or over oily?

akilina
August 1st, 2012, 08:33 PM
That is a normal feeling :( sorry you are feeling that way. It often happens to many of us.

Lately I ask myself..."so what? would a short haircut make me happy?" The answer is always Nooooo. Personally, I have never even made it to BSL and it is most likely all my fault. I highly doubt my "classic" is before BSL.
I usually make a rash coloring decision and go bleach, then go black. I think a main help has been ditching the heat tools for now. I am not working, and I am realizing my hair naturally looks fine. Try to focus on the good things about your hair :D
Also, a moisture treatment may be in order.
You may need to let us know more what "looks bad" means. Is it dry and crunchy on the ends? Does it feel really waxy?
Perhaps a BBB would be your friend.
And, perhaps some benign neglect is in order for you.

blaketob
August 1st, 2012, 09:54 PM
Every week I put EVOO and honey in my hair. And use Aragon oil almost daily. Are these moisture treatments?

blaketob
August 1st, 2012, 09:57 PM
Wow, sorry about the reading comprehension fail! My bad.

Is it dry or over oily?

Lol it's okay and I'm not sure. It's just not as soft as it usually is but I put oils in my hair every week! So maybe it's over oily?

lmfbs
August 1st, 2012, 09:57 PM
Maybe your hair doesn't like EVOO or aragon. I find I have to use EVOO very carefully or my hair gets very lank. I would experiment with other oils like coconut or jojoba oil.

You might find it doesn't like honey much either, that's something that some people's hair just doesn't get along with.

Have a search on here for SMT - it's a great moisture treatment with conditioner and aloe vera. A straight conditioner soak might help too.

The other option is a protein treatment. If you hair is feeling a bit lank, protein could give it a good boost.

blaketob
August 1st, 2012, 10:00 PM
That is a normal feeling :( sorry you are feeling that way. It often happens to many of us.

Lately I ask myself..."so what? would a short haircut make me happy?" The answer is always Nooooo. Personally, I have never even made it to BSL and it is most likely all my fault. I highly doubt my "classic" is before BSL.
I usually make a rash coloring decision and go bleach, then go black. I think a main help has been ditching the heat tools for now. I am not working, and I am realizing my hair naturally looks fine. Try to focus on the good things about your hair :D
Also, a moisture treatment may be in order.
You may need to let us know more what "looks bad" means. Is it dry and crunchy on the ends? Does it feel really waxy?
Perhaps a BBB would be your friend.
And, perhaps some benign neglect is in order for you.

I stretch my washes to 4 days so it's kind of neglecting it? I BBB often too :) it doesn't feel crunchy. Some days it's really poofy and other days it feels waxy. I feel like my waves dry in a different way than usual too.

Curly Crone
August 2nd, 2012, 09:22 AM
I had a good routine going for over a month, everything seemed OK, then my hair went downhill very fast. It turned out that the conditioner I was using had a tiny bit of protein in it and eventually my hair rebelled as it doesn't like protein at all. I bought new conditioner without protein and the difference was immediate. I still use the old conditioner but only once in awhile. I hope you find a solution.

Madora
August 2nd, 2012, 10:25 AM
Hey guys so I'm not sure what's the problem but I'm getting extremely frustrated with my hair! I never seem to have a good hair day.. Not even a decent one in at least 3 weeks. Every time I do a DT or a pre-wash treatment my hair comes out oily and gross looking which never happened in the past when doing my DT and I haven't changed any ingredients. I recently clarified as well and my hair still looks bad. Ugh I'm just so annoyed and don't know what to do to my hair anymore. Thanks for letting me vent LHC!

Maybe you need to get back to basics..i.e. just shampooing and conditioning. You can do an EVOO overnight treatment...but limit it to once every 2 weeks and stick to just olive oil. Keep everything else off your hair. The more stuff you put on your hair, the faster the buildup.

Since you brush, I suggest you doing it every day. Be sure to detangle before you brush.

heidi w.
August 2nd, 2012, 10:37 AM
I don't think I have a great answer for you, really. I wonder that you might be using too much oil? actually.... I wonder if you replaced what you removed when you clarified?--that is, conditioning well after clarifying (in the same hair wash?) Are you using heat or anything like that: flat ironing, that kind of thing...

I would say to try clarifying one more time. I would not advocate doing a protein treatment until this problem is resolved, at least. Your problem doesn't seem to be protein. Are you oiling while your hair is still damp? If you're a curly haired person, that is what you should be doing: applying oil while the hair is still damp.

I don't think you need to do oiling on a daily basis: on the ends or otherwise.

heidi w.

blaketob
August 2nd, 2012, 10:46 AM
Yeh I think it might be the honey. The first two times I used it I thought my hair loved it but now I'm thinking otherwise. I know my hair hates coconut oil so I guess it's just time to experiment with other products.

blaketob
August 2nd, 2012, 10:49 AM
Thanks for all the tips guys. I will clarify again and just use EVOO for my treatments. And yes I oil on damp hair. And I don't use heat! :)