PDA

View Full Version : Palmer's coconut oil

~honeyflower~
August 1st, 2012, 04:46 PM
Ok so I have been using this since May, it has pure coconut oil labled on it. But what I've noticed is that it never turned liquidity when its above seventy-five degrees,its always solid. So I looked on the ingredients and this is what it says.

Ingredients: mineral oil (paraffinum liquidum),microcrystalline wax (cera microcristallina),petrolatum, Cocos nucifera (coconut) oil,lanolin,olea europaea (olive) fruit oil,vegetable oil (olus), fragrance (parfum), benzel benzoate, coumarin, tocopheryl acetate.

I am a first time coconut oiler so I am in need of advice of what to look for. Also, if this coconut oil isn't good for my hair does GMC have any? Coconut oil is pretty rare to find where I'm from and I looked everywhere except that place, if so what brand should I get if they carry any?

kaydana
August 1st, 2012, 04:55 PM
I don't know what GMC is, but look for virgin coconut oil, with nothing else added. I've only ever seen it in health food shops and in supermarkets with the cooking oils, I've never seen the real thing sold as a hair product.

lapushka
August 1st, 2012, 05:09 PM
Ingredients: mineral oil (paraffinum liquidum),microcrystalline wax (cera microcristallina),petrolatum, Cocos nucifera (coconut) oil,lanolin,olea europaea (olive) fruit oil,vegetable oil (olus), fragrance (parfum), benzel benzoate, coumarin, tocopheryl acetate.

I am a first time coconut oiler so I am in need of advice of what to look for. Also, if this coconut oil isn't good for my hair does GMC have any? Coconut oil is pretty rare to find where I'm from and I looked everywhere except that place, if so what brand should I get if they carry any?

What you're using isn't coconut oil, it's mineral oil, and Palmer's is *very* heavy on the hair (hard to wash out, esp. if you use too much).

Like kaydana said, you need to find regular coconut oil (try the food section).

~honeyflower~
August 1st, 2012, 05:47 PM
What you're using isn't coconut oil, it's mineral oil, and Palmer's is *very* heavy on the hair (hard to wash out, esp. if you use too much).

Like kaydana said, you need to find regular coconut oil (try the food section).

Whoa! I will keep looking, thanks a bunch!

Kaydana, I haven't been in GMC but I have seen one in a mall I went to and it looked like a store where they sell vitamins and supplements. Just thought I might see coconut oil there since some have reported that they get some at stores such as these, just a thought I had. By the way, thank you so much I learned something today!

Look out coconut faker here I come!:draw:

ratgirldjh
August 1st, 2012, 06:03 PM
If you like it keep using it. But it isn't the same thing as virgin coconut oil (which is edible).

You can find virgin coconut oil in some groceries in the oil section or a health food store.

Even walmart has coconut oil both in the nutrition section (edible) and in the oil section (for frying and dubiously edible).

lmfbs
August 1st, 2012, 06:06 PM
I used this for ages until I realised what it was. It caused wicked buildup on my hair, and stringy oily hair.

secondrain
August 1st, 2012, 06:08 PM
Can you get coconuts? I mean the dry, hairy kind and not the green ones you drink the water from. If you can't find the oil and have some patience, you can extract the oil yourself.

~honeyflower~
August 1st, 2012, 06:42 PM
I used this for ages until I realised what it was. It caused wicked buildup on my hair, and stringy oily hair.

That's what I'm worried about, I didn't get stringy oily hair but I noticed that my hair hasn't grown this month or last month, normally it grows an inch every month. So I am thinking that it could be the oil since I got it roughly around that time.

~honeyflower~
August 1st, 2012, 06:49 PM
Can you get coconuts? I mean the dry, hairy kind and not the green ones you drink the water from. If you can't find the oil and have some patience, you can extract the oil yourself.

Oh! How I wish we could grow coconuts just for that reason, but I live in the northwest of U.S so growing those here is impossible.
Thanks though!

AutumnJasmine
August 1st, 2012, 07:14 PM
I get all my oils from the food section of the grocery stores.

~honeyflower~
August 1st, 2012, 07:17 PM
I get all my oils from the food section of the grocery stores.

Ok I will look,Thank you!

Dang3rousB3auty
August 1st, 2012, 07:26 PM
I find it very sad it was even labeled as coconut oil. Yes it has it in it, but it's not even the main ingredient. It is basically just mineral oil with some other crap thrown in there. You might as well just use baby oil. (which some people seem to like in their hair, but I stay as far from it as I can because it will do nothing to nourish or moisturize your hair)

I hope you can find the real stuff. Usually in the section near the olive oils and other oils in the grocery store :)

akilina
August 1st, 2012, 07:40 PM
Look for a whole foods, or trader joes or if your town has a local co-op. Or any sort of stereotypical "hippy" store will have it without a doubt. It is hit and miss at grocery stores. Most don't have it, but some do.
If I am going to buy an oil and want it to be worth while, I always buy the real thing and nothing but. No added ingredients whatsoever.

secondrain
August 1st, 2012, 07:44 PM
Oh! How I wish we could grow coconuts just for that reason, but I live in the northwest of U.S so growing those here is impossible.
Thanks though!

Coconuts don't grow in NY either but you can find them in markets sometimes :) . Before the oil was widely available in jars, my mom would do the grating and cooking down for me.

Try a health/natural food store if you don't find the oil in your local supermarket.

lmfbs
August 1st, 2012, 09:10 PM
That's what I'm worried about, I didn't get stringy oily hair but I noticed that my hair hasn't grown this month or last month, normally it grows an inch every month. So I am thinking that it could be the oil since I got it roughly around that time.

I doubt it would affect your growth that much, but I do think real coconut oil will be much better for your hair. It's normal for us to go through stalls in growth, so I wouldn't stress too much yet :)

blondie9912
August 1st, 2012, 10:07 PM
I definitely would use that on anything other than my elbows and heels. Try looking in a health food store, like Whole Foods

DarkCurls
August 2nd, 2012, 02:37 AM
I have the same product. But it's called coconot oil formula, not coconut oil. I knew what it was when I bought it because I always check the ingredients. I haven't tried virgin coconut oil yet -- it took me ages to actually find the product, I have to buy it the next time I stop by the organic food store --, but honestly, even though I thought "wax" and "vaseline" and went eek, bad, bad, I like the product. Doesn't make my hair greasy or heavy (it loves mineral oil). On the other hand, I have dry hair that's difficult to weigh down.
Besides, I love the solid texture. ^^

I'm not sure how this product could have affected your growth, though.

~honeyflower~
August 2nd, 2012, 07:34 AM
Yeah, maybe it is a stall. I think I will give my hair a three week break and start slowly, kind of test out if what it really needs and doesn't so I can see what condition it's in. Maybe it just doesn't like oil for some reason. I am still new-ish so I got a lot to learn about, maybe next time I wont freak out over a tiny stall. Anyways, thanks for all your help I will be doing a lot of questions to figure out how to achieve locks just like yours, hope I will be successfull!
Thanks, ~honeyflower~

Artisticat
August 12th, 2012, 10:23 PM
I saw Palmer's in Target today for the first time. Smells de-lish, but the list of ingredients made my head spin. :D
I'll stick with Trader Joes coconut for now.