PDA

View Full Version : How to dress with hennaed hair?

Baby
August 1st, 2012, 04:00 PM
Hello ladies, gents and other folks!
I hennaed my hair on inpulse about a year ago, stupid I know. I liked my virgin, it is a nice hazel color but henna really suit me and I am quite stuck with it for a while. I like it, that is not the problem. The problem is that having hazel hair did not collide with colors on clothing, I could wear bright colors whithout having to match my hair, because my hair matched any colors.
Now I feel like a clown if I wear colors.
I now dress mainly in black, grey, dark brown, dark green, denim and dark blue, but I am getting bored.

What else would look good with hennaed hair without saying "look at me, I am a stopsign". I have neutral colors so I can basicly wear any colors.
I love colors but i feel slightly restricted now. Help please!

akilina
August 1st, 2012, 04:05 PM
A picture would really help to actually see your skin tone and your actual haircolor instead of just kind of guessing what you really mean :]

I dont have an issue with wearing bright colors. I doubt that anyone will walk up to you and say HAHA whats up with your hair and clothing??!?! I moreso believe in wearing what you want to wear.

Viscountess
August 1st, 2012, 04:05 PM
I've never worried about such things. I wear reds, yellows, greens and bright colours AND henna my hair.

I've never seen an issue before. Your question makes me ask "is this an issue"? so I asked my co-worker. "hey, when I wear my lemon yellow dress with the bright green blazer and my hair is freshly 'done' do I look like my hair doesn't match?" (my co-worker is a fashionista)

My co-worker looked at me, and said "how dumb is that, who matches their hair"

So I asked another co-worker. An equally fashion concious, designer wearing, trendy girl, younger than me.

She looked at me and said "nope, it doesn't matter. If it does 'matter' its a random stranger, who has no clue what looks good anyway and will judge you regardless"

I think they're both right.

Wear what you want and enjoy it.

moxamoll
August 1st, 2012, 04:29 PM
I do notice that some colours make my henna'd hair "pop" more than others... but the same is true of my eye colours! I wear pretty much what I like. :)

Heatherzilla
August 1st, 2012, 06:05 PM
I like the way blues and greens make my henna colour really pop so I wear them a lot. I don't really think matching your hair is important but there are colours I avoid because I don't think they're flattering on me. I think skin tone has more to do with what's going to look flattering that hair does to be honest.

lmfbs
August 1st, 2012, 06:07 PM
I never even considered this. Today I'm wearing bright blue and have henna-ed hair. I didn't even consider it an issue. Hmmm.

salamander
August 1st, 2012, 06:16 PM
I don't have as much of an issue with clothes, but my hair started reasonably dark so the color shift may not be as big. I do find a difference in my makeup habits, though, I feel more comfortable with warmer makeup when my hair is so warm toned. Maybe try your warm toned clothing and see if that looks good?

Baby
August 5th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Thank you for all your replys!
I do not have any pictures with red hair, my cameraphone is not giving me any good ones either.
I think that I posted initially as to what complements red har best and partially how to dress it down.

And also in frustration because people around here do not wear bold colors, I live in Sweden, it is a beige country. People generally dress in black, beige, grey, navy or light pastels. To have red hair is enough to be different and I have always feelt the need to be "normal". When I had brown hair that was not really an issue because everyother person has brown hair and when I also was skinny, I am ten kilos/20 pounds bigger now, but then I could wear hot pink and still look good. Now both my body and my hair has changed and I have not a clue as to what to wear. I mostly dress in dresses as that compliments my narrow waist the best and hide my huge butt. But as to colors, I have no clue.

Maybie I should have posted in the friendship board insted.

busnutmedic
August 5th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Off the top of my head, some colors that I think go well with red hair are lavender and blues.

I guess it really does matter a lot about the shade, however. I'm thinking natural red hair, but henna could be any number of shades and it would make all the difference. I bet people will chime in with more ideas if you can get a picture posted sometime :)

jojo
August 5th, 2012, 01:16 PM
I think navy's and greens go very well with redheads, I do understand your dilemma I was kind of the same when I had henna my normal pale pastels just somehow didn't go with my hair, plus I felt I needed more make up!

palaeoqueen
August 5th, 2012, 01:48 PM
I understand, I've never used henna but I have had very bright pink, purple and red hair (not all at once ;) ). It was a problem so I mostly wore black. I'm now blonde again so it's not an issue any more.

afu
August 5th, 2012, 02:01 PM
My sister, aunt and cousin all have naturally red hair and greens really suit them. I think red clothes are hardest to pull off well

Mesmerise
August 5th, 2012, 06:15 PM
I actually don't care too much about clashing with my clothes :D. I'll even wear pink ;). So yeah, not much help here! Do you find people actually comment on your clothing clashing with your hair, or is it just that you're worried it does?

MzMarty
August 5th, 2012, 11:53 PM
Seconding everyone who recommended blues and greens. I was until recently a henna head (over medium blonde hair, so it was like an Irish Setter red), and jewel tones were my favorites. Violet hues look gorgeous with henna, IMO... especially blue-violets.

All of these colors also worked with my skin tone regardless of hair color; however, I did discover that I could suddenly wear yellow with henna. That was a surprise! Yellow usually makes me look washed-out, but although it still required a little extra makeup with the henna, it definitely looked more fun and vibrant against red (perhaps because it wasn't clashing with the more subdued yellows of blonde hair... although some blonde folks seem to carry off yellow brilliantly, probably because their skin tones are better suited to it?). I also agree that pastels can become less interesting to wear once you've hennaed... I think the intensity of the hair color tends to overwhelm the pastels and make them look a little faded.

If you're concerned about color making too much of an OOMPH statement, how about trying a colorful scarf/hat/hairpiece/some other accessory paired with neutral clothes? Might be a fun way to experiment without committing to major wardrobe changes. :)

Iolanthe13
August 6th, 2012, 12:05 AM
I've had various shades of warm-toned red hair for the past three years. The only colours I feel strange in are cool pastel and whites - jewel tones and warm neutrals seem to go well with the coppery hair, and I agree with some of the others that red hair makes yellows easier to wear. For me the real surprise was finding out that oranges and bright pinks suddenly looked good.

spirals
August 6th, 2012, 12:46 AM
I don't have red hair, but I have skintone and eye color that favor red hair. I go with earthy colors like rusty reds, olive green, dark yellows, chocolate brown, burgundy, green-based blues, and orange. All those colors have a yellow or brown base. I do have a royal blue dress and an emerald-green top people love me in.

PolarCathy
August 6th, 2012, 01:38 AM
I second those who certainly wouldn't make any adjustments just because of my haircolor (if it were red). Especially not in Sweden (where I too happen to live) because honestly there aren't many colors here and I would like to be a little different.

Sjirsten
August 6th, 2012, 03:25 AM
I sometimes think of this, I went to a festival with friends and loads of other people I didn`t know from before. After some time hanging out there I heard through one of them that apparently everyone thought it was very practical that there was a tall Norwegian girl with bright hair and a blue coat in the group. Made it easy to find us when they came back from buyin drinks.. I love dressing in colours and I don`t like beige at all. I do not wear orange clothes though, that is just pushing it a little bit in my opinion:-)

SilverDoe
August 6th, 2012, 04:34 AM
Nothing makes my hennaed hair POP more than dark greys and green. :D With accessories, slightly muted clothes still look really awesome.

pink.sara
August 6th, 2012, 06:29 AM
I dont even consider the colour of my hair to be an issue when choosing clothes?! I dress to suit my skintone.

I'd second the others who say wear whatever you want and don't worry about it, bright colours are fun!

But if you feel self conscious enough that it really does bother you, than stay safe with blues, greens, greys and autumn colours in general.

MonaMayfair
August 6th, 2012, 06:44 AM
I think navy's and greens go very well with redheads, I do understand your dilemma I was kind of the same when I had henna my normal pale pastels just somehow didn't go with my hair, plus I felt I needed more make up!

Me too, pale blues and pinks didn't suit me anymore. The issue wasn't the red hair, it was the darker hair.
Everyone's saying it depends on the skin tone, and I think that's quite right, but my skin tone seemed to change with the darker hair ( I know it couldn't have, but it looked different)

pink.sara
August 6th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Me too, pale blues and pinks didn't suit me anymore. The issue wasn't the red hair, it was the darker hair.
Everyone's saying it depends on the skin tone, and I think that's quite right, but my skin tone seemed to change with the darker hair ( I know it couldn't have, but it looked different)

Mini hijack: I think your skin tone can change depending on your hair colour if you are neutral skin toned.
I'm neutral and look pink toned and cool with darker black and red hair, but yellow toned and warm with blonde or henna tones.

Perhaps this is why you are uncertain OP? Did you have favourite colours to wear before henna?

Quixii
August 6th, 2012, 03:06 PM
I love how green looks with red hair. I bet a nice olive or khaki green would look really nice, if you wanted something a little less bold.

Baby
August 7th, 2012, 05:02 AM
Mini hijack: I think your skin tone can change depending on your hair colour if you are neutral skin toned.
I'm neutral and look pink toned and cool with darker black and red hair, but yellow toned and warm with blonde or henna tones.

Perhaps this is why you are uncertain OP? Did you have favourite colours to wear before henna?
Yes, I used to wear a lot of pink, I love hot pink and that was ok on a shirt before but now I look rediculous, I look like a clown. I love colors but at the same time I want to look stylish, and not like a clown:)
I love my red hair but I have not gotten used to it yet, and I miss the pinks. I went for henna because everytime I have dyed my hair before I have gone for the red colors, but right after I remembered why it never lasted, I always changed my mind because I could not wear anything in my closet anymore, and henna although lovely are just too permanent.
I am considering growing it out but I am so close to my goal and then it would be like starting all over again because I want all my hair the same color. Oh these first world problems...:)

MonaMayfair
August 7th, 2012, 05:22 AM

That's interesting Sara, because I can never quite decide if I'm warm or cool toned (I usually think warm, but never been certain) so maybe I'm just neutral (sounds a bit boring, lol!)
They say you can tell by whether the veins in your wrists are blueish or greenish, but I have both colors in mine.

pink.sara
August 7th, 2012, 06:35 AM
Yes, I used to wear a lot of pink, I love hot pink and that was ok on a shirt before but now I look rediculous, I look like a clown. I love colors but at the same time I want to look stylish, and not like a clown:)
I love my red hair but I have not gotten used to it yet, and I miss the pinks. I went for henna because everytime I have dyed my hair before I have gone for the red colors, but right after I remembered why it never lasted, I always changed my mind because I could not wear anything in my closet anymore, and henna although lovely are just too permanent.
I am considering growing it out but I am so close to my goal and then it would be like starting all over again because I want all my hair the same color. Oh these first world problems...:)

Haha, they really are first world problems aren't they!
Well, henna and pink may not be the best bedfellows, but a little bit of pink on an otherwise black/grey/beige outfit wouldn't look garish.

Just maybe not head to toe pink and orange?! ;)

And if it's just henna you could always try to remove it with honey, or colour oops/colour B4 and dye closer to your natural?

That's interesting Sara, because I can never quite decide if I'm warm or cool toned (I usually think warm, but never been certain) so maybe I'm just neutral (sounds a bit boring, lol!)
They say you can tell by whether the veins in your wrists are blueish or greenish, but I have both colors in mine.

That's what thoroughly confused the make-up artist trying to show me my colours in a department store, blue, green and purple veins?!
And neutral is a great place to be :)
How can having a skin tone that suits almost every hair colour ever be boring? (Says the woman with hennaed black/auburn hair with a purple and turquiose streak) ;)

MonaMayfair
August 7th, 2012, 06:42 AM
Oh yes, Sara, I forgot to say I also have purple veins! AND both gold and silver jewellery seem to suit me, which is supposed to be the other foolproof test!

woolyleprechaun
August 7th, 2012, 07:00 AM
Ive got pretty bright henna'd hair. I dont wear too in-your-face colours as I like to let the red do the talking :)
I love turquoise, teal, emerald and navy when I want something to make the colour pop, but otherwise, I stick to what I like to call 'woodland colours' like moss, olive, browns and greys.
Ive found I cant realy pull off yellows, purples, pinks or reds, but thats partly my skintone and eye colours fault :D
That being said, I have a lovely dark red silk nightdress I had when I was a brunette, and it doesnt realy clash at all with my henna.
You wear what YOU like and work it!

deltadeliquent
August 7th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Browns and bright navy's would be good if you feel a need to blend in. Henna and browns is beautiful.

Neneka
August 7th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Oh no, now I started to think about this too... My hair has been dyed almost every natural colour (sorry. bad language) and it has been red varying from bright orange and pink to auburn. It's now henna red. I have always dressed to same colours (orange, pink, red, purple :o).

gratitudinous
August 7th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Oh no, now I started to think about this too... My hair has been dyed almost every natural colour (sorry. bad language) and it has been red varying from bright orange and pink to auburn. It's now henna red. I have always dressed to same colours (orange, pink, red, purple :o).

You know, I'm not super fashion conscious, but I don't think you need to worry about the colors you wear too much.
Unless you can see your skin tone looking bad next to a certain shade, what's the big deal?
I've got very yellow based skin (I look almost jaundiced when I try to tan!), my hair has been lots and lots of colors, and I've always just worn whatever I like.
My advice to both yourself and the OP is to not stress the small stuff, do what makes YOU happy! :flower: