PDA

View Full Version : Brown dye turned my hair black as night! 'LHC' ways of lightening it up?

millyaulait
August 1st, 2012, 07:11 AM
I've googled around & I've been told it's pretty common for brown dye to overdevelop & turn your hair black...

But I've been dying my hair with the same colorant for years and never had this happen before! :(

I've been told to use dishwashing soap to get rid of the excess dye & that it should lighten up a bit.... But all I can think of is

DRYNESS DAMAGE DRYNESS DAMAGE! shudder:

I'm not sure if there are any kinder ways to do this....

I know dying hair conventionally is a bit of a 'sin' here, but I'm hoping you might have some ideas. :p :flower:

bunzfan
August 1st, 2012, 07:13 AM
Head and shoulders worked for me in the past.

briles
August 1st, 2012, 07:17 AM
I crushed vitamin c tablets into a powder, mixed with dandruff shampoo and let it sit on my head for a couple hours. It lifted two shades at least!

Louise148
August 1st, 2012, 07:19 AM
It will probably fade back to brown slowly anyway if you can stand the wait. I dyed my hair dark brown a few months ago when I no longer wanted to bleach my hair blonde and it has now faded to my natural colour, a sort of warm medium brown/dark blonde. No chemical, peroxide based colour is really permanent, they all fade somewhat. Yours may not fade as much as mine did as mine was over bleach blonde but it'll probably fade a bit.

millyaulait
August 1st, 2012, 07:25 AM
Head and shoulders worked for me in the past.

Oh, the only 'poo I have right now is SLS-free. Hm. :(

millyaulait
August 1st, 2012, 07:26 AM
I crushed vitamin c tablets into a powder, mixed with dandruff shampoo and let it sit on my head for a couple hours. It lifted two shades at least!

I don't have either of those things right now, do you think just popping on a SLS-free shampoo and leaving it might help?

millyaulait
August 1st, 2012, 07:27 AM
It will probably fade back to brown slowly anyway if you can stand the wait. I dyed my hair dark brown a few months ago when I no longer wanted to bleach my hair blonde and it has now faded to my natural colour, a sort of warm medium brown/dark blonde. No chemical, peroxide based colour is really permanent, they all fade somewhat. Yours may not fade as much as mine did as mine was over bleach blonde but it'll probably fade a bit.

Oh I do hope it fades quickly, it looks truly AWFUL on me. :(

UltraBella
August 1st, 2012, 07:44 AM
I got back to my natural dark blonde -after using a copper red Demi color for seven years - by using a shampoo made for swimmers. I believe it was Paul Mitchell brand, but there are plenty of other ones. They remove chlorine and buildup from your hair and are not as drying as dish detergent. I didn't notice any dryness at all actually, but I was using a good conditioner and babying it. It stripped the color out very well and was noticeable after just a few washes.

briles
August 1st, 2012, 08:01 AM
I'm not sure sls free will do a lot. A deep oiling always lifts a little if the dye is fresh. Perhaps an oil/deep condisher for a couple hours?

millyaulait
August 1st, 2012, 08:07 AM
I got back to my natural dark blonde -after using a copper red Demi color for seven years - by using a shampoo made for swimmers. I believe it was Paul Mitchell brand, but there are plenty of other ones. They remove chlorine and buildup from your hair and are not as drying as dish detergent. I didn't notice any dryness at all actually, but I was using a good conditioner and babying it. It stripped the color out very well and was noticeable after just a few washes.

Thank you, I'll pick up some H&S along with some swimmers shampoo and see what happens! :)

millyaulait
August 1st, 2012, 08:08 AM
I'm not sure sls free will do a lot. A deep oiling always lifts a little if the dye is fresh. Perhaps an oil/deep condisher for a couple hours?

I'll do that right now, thanks! :)

Nightshade
August 1st, 2012, 08:16 AM
This works for my mom whenever her dye goes too dark.

Take 1 part SLS shampoo and 1 part honey. Apply it to damp hair, wrap it up and let it sit for an hour. Rinse with hot water (not so hot you'll burn yourself!), and condition. That'll take a LOT of the extra dye out :)

Amber_Maiden
August 1st, 2012, 08:20 AM
That has happened to me. I used baking soda, and honey treatments, to lighten it. I've also went to hairdressers to lighten bad at-home dye jobs in the past.

dixid
August 1st, 2012, 08:37 AM
If you use baking soda instead of shampoo (or even add it to your regular shampoo) and rinse with apple cider vinegar you'll notice a big different in color within a shampoo or two. You'll actually be able to see the dye in the rinse water.

millyaulait
August 1st, 2012, 08:45 AM
This works for my mom whenever her dye goes too dark.

Take 1 part SLS shampoo and 1 part honey. Apply it to damp hair, wrap it up and let it sit for an hour. Rinse with hot water (not so hot you'll burn yourself!), and condition. That'll take a LOT of the extra dye out :)

I have some honey on right now! :)

SilverDoe
August 1st, 2012, 08:46 AM
Color Oops/Colour B4 will most likely get all of it off. Head & shoulders with a bit of baking soda might work for some. Just remember to have a good deep treatment on hand after.

millyaulait
That has happened to me. I used baking soda, and honey treatments, to lighten it. I've also went to hairdressers to lighten bad at-home dye jobs in the past.

I used up all of my BS but I have honey on right now! I'll pick some up tomorrow.. :)

millyaulait
If you use baking soda instead of shampoo (or even add it to your regular shampoo) and rinse with apple cider vinegar you'll notice a big different in color within a shampoo or two. You'll actually be able to see the dye in the rinse water.

Great - thank you! :)

millyaulait
August 1st, 2012, 08:47 AM
Color Oops/Colour B4 will most likely get all of it off. Head & shoulders with a bit of baking soda might work for some. Just remember to have a good deep treatment on hand after.

Thanks, I'll pick some up tomorrow! :)

blondie9912
August 1st, 2012, 04:46 PM
I used honey lightening treatments when my hair darkened too much (and was patchy...great!) last year. It was a ratio of 1:5 honey to tap water (I didn't bother with distilled water and still noticed a good effect). Takes a few times, though! Good luck, I know how unflattering unintentionally dark hair can be.

lapushka
August 1st, 2012, 05:11 PM
This happened to me one time and it needed to be bleached out, unfortunately.

petali
August 1st, 2012, 05:26 PM
I've googled around & I've been told it's pretty common for brown dye to overdevelop & turn your hair black...

But I've been dying my hair with the same colorant for years and never had this happen before! :(

I've been told to use dishwashing soap to get rid of the excess dye & that it should lighten up a bit.... But all I can think of is

DRYNESS DAMAGE DRYNESS DAMAGE! shudder:

I'm not sure if there are any kinder ways to do this....

I know dying hair conventionally is a bit of a 'sin' here, but I'm hoping you might have some ideas. :p :flower:

ColorOops!
Someone recommended it to me when I had a little accident; it worked pretty well! I don't think it damages hair.

MidnightMoon
August 1st, 2012, 05:30 PM
If you don't mind the dryness part, just put shampoo on your head while it's wet and leave it on, put a cap on and wait for at least an hour (someone once told me sleep with it but I think that would just be too much) and then rinse.

Louise148
August 2nd, 2012, 03:58 AM
I remember years ago when I was at hairdressing college they told us to stay away from cheap baby shampoo as it will strip out colour. I have used it in the past and it is pretty stripping...I now use it to clean the bathroom, works a treat :)

millyaulait
August 3rd, 2012, 02:53 AM
Thanks everyone! :flower:

I tried dandruff & swimmers shampoo yesterday. It released some of the dye but I'm still 100% black haired.

I also tried honey left on for a few hours, rinsed, then left shampoo/dishsoap (yep - I'm *that* desperate now) for a few hours.

It again lifted some of the dye off, but there's absolutely no noticeable change in my hair colour at all.

Welp. :(

Tisiloves
August 3rd, 2012, 02:58 AM
Do a color oops/colour b4 for about half an hour and rinse well, it'll definitely lift the colour.

millyaulait
August 3rd, 2012, 03:49 AM
I will order some colour oops, thanks ladies. :flower:

It's not like a bleach and turns your hair orange is it? shudder:

Tisiloves
August 3rd, 2012, 04:09 AM
I will order some colour oops, thanks ladies. :flower:

It's not like a bleach and turns your hair orange is it? shudder:

It depends, because it strips out the pigment the dye deposited you get left with your colour lightened by whatever developer the dye used, but for dark brown/black I shouldn't imagine it'd turn out that much lighter (mine was about half a shade lighter after 10 years of black dye).