PDA

View Full Version : I can't stop touching my hair!

Angelus
August 1st, 2012, 04:24 AM
Am I the only one with this problem? Whenever my hair feels expectionally smooth, silky or moisturized after a deep treatment I can't stop touching it!

I'm constantly swirling it, stroking it and flipping it around. I bet I look ridiculous! :p

KhiraLi
August 1st, 2012, 04:34 AM
I'm exactly the same! I would like to wear my hair down a little more than just keeping it in a ponytail all the time but when it is down, I find myself playing with it all the time and then it gets greasy faster.

Sarahlabyrinth
August 1st, 2012, 04:36 AM
Haha I do that too, so I try not to have it down very often!

DancingQueen
August 1st, 2012, 04:44 AM
I used to do that when I had long hair, and I bet I will when it is long enough again. What can you say, that is just how it is meant to be :D

Amber_Maiden
August 1st, 2012, 06:06 AM
Yep! lol. But then I have to put it up and away or my baby will grab it! lol

Tota
August 1st, 2012, 06:12 AM
I'm the same. I can't stop touching it when it's down so sometimes I put it up just so I don't annoy myself and others. I met my friend for a coffee yesterday and in the middle of our conversation I realized I'm having a massive fingercombing session. :D

schweedie
August 1st, 2012, 09:08 AM
Oh, not alone at all. I do the same with the tassel when my hair is braided - for some reason the tassel always feels extremely smooth and silky compared to when my hair is loose, and I can't leave it alone.

sharonluvscats
August 1st, 2012, 09:17 AM
No! I do the same thing when I wear it down. I must look like such an airhead. lol I just can't help it.

EndlessSunshine
August 1st, 2012, 09:27 AM
When my hair is down I tend to finger comb and scalp massage. lol It feels so good.

PeaceTeaRules
August 1st, 2012, 09:32 AM
Guilty as charged!! Even if my hair is up in a ponytail... I can't help but mess with it... Ever since I've been WO It feels so smooth and silky, when it's down I don't mess with it that much, Unless petting it counts... :D

MrsGuther
August 1st, 2012, 10:20 AM
Am I the only one with this problem? Whenever my hair feels expectionally smooth, silky or moisturized after a deep treatment I can't stop touching it!

I'm constantly swirling it, stroking it and flipping it around. I bet I look ridiculous! :p

I do that too!! ;)

snowtale
August 1st, 2012, 10:26 AM

Me too! I love running my hands through it. I also stand in front of the mirror watching as I do this. Oh the hair vanity! :grin:

MestizoGypsy
August 1st, 2012, 10:44 AM
I picked up what I call the hair 'ruffle & flip' from watching my big sister when I was little, and now I can't help it!! I'm also a hair twirler in the worst way, I just need something to do with my hands!

spirals
August 1st, 2012, 10:48 AM
If it's straightened I do.

akilina
August 1st, 2012, 10:57 AM
Yessss I have this issue. Everyone in my life gives me crap for it too constantly!
My mom and bf are like "oh no wonder your hair wont grow you are RIPPING it all out" No way!! I am stroking it!! D: I braid it too in tiny little braids when I am idle.
I sometimes think part of the reason my bangs grow way faster is because I play with them the most. The stimulation probably makes it happen.

Deborah
August 1st, 2012, 11:00 AM
I hardly touch my hair at all. When it's down to dry I push it out of the way a lot, but that's about it.

jacqueline101
August 1st, 2012, 12:00 PM
Yes I do the same thing.

Moloik
August 1st, 2012, 12:05 PM
I do it all the time.

~honeyflower~
August 1st, 2012, 01:10 PM
Yup, story of my life.

Maybe
August 1st, 2012, 01:30 PM
Yeah, me too.

BUT, I was on the Corporette blog site and there are endless discussions there about whether long hair is professional or not.

She says, yes it can be professional as long as it is well cared for etc etc BUT YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO TOUCH IT EVER.

Given my very corporate job, I am thinking I am going to have to learn how to wear it up and away from my hands!

sunflower_daze
August 1st, 2012, 02:07 PM
Yep! This is why I'm trying to wear it up a lot. I finger comb it. Pull the sides back, pull them back down. Smell it. Braid it... Well, you get the picture. It's so pretty! Hair vanity for sure

EndlessSunshine
August 1st, 2012, 03:18 PM
Especially when I am doing water only for a while, I preen. I love massaging the scalp. It is a wonder I have any hair at all. I think this is why my hair grows so fast.

Ginbill
August 1st, 2012, 04:03 PM
I tend to finger comb and smooth my hair out a lot. I try not to but it's just a habit. Kind of like biting my fingernails. Which I've just recently dropped. I wonder what will be next if I stop playing with my hair!

stew
August 1st, 2012, 04:15 PM
I'm constantly grabbing all of it into a ponytail and sweeping it over my shoulder ever since it got long enough to do so. I'm probably damaging it by touching it so much..

RileyJane
August 1st, 2012, 04:28 PM
omg im the sameee way! i cannot NOT touch my hair when its healthy! its just so soft and perfect feeling, but i try to gently stroke it when i do, only b/c i would hate to damage it !

moxamoll
August 1st, 2012, 04:45 PM
Yup. Even when it's up, I take it down several times a day to play with it and put it back up. Sad but true. And if it's down, I'm constantly massaging my scalp, finger combing, braid and unbraiding it. It's ridiculous, but geez, that's half the fun of having it long!!! :D

sunnydee92
August 1st, 2012, 04:50 PM
Yep, guilty! I even play with it when it's in a ponytail...I'll either just stroke it or occasionally grab a piece and put it over my upper lip like a mustache :D I'm sure it makes it greasy, but it's so entertaining :D

dwell_in_safety
August 1st, 2012, 06:16 PM
I just clarified my hair last night. I did put a little jojoba oil on it as usual after a wash, but I really didn't need to; it is soooo ridiculously soft (and shiny) bare, and I didn't even use anything other than clarifying shampoo on it in the wash! I always have my hair up, but I just can't stop stroking the top of my head lol. I was expecting to have to do a deep oiling because usually clarifying dries my hair out like none other, but it's just beautiful today. I can't stop touching it. Suffice it to say, you're not alone! :)

Picotee
August 1st, 2012, 06:40 PM
Yep, guilty! I even play with it when it's in a ponytail...I'll either just stroke it or occasionally grab a piece and put it over my upper lip like a mustache :D I'm sure it makes it greasy, but it's so entertaining :D

I like to do the pretend-moustache thing, too. Sometimes instead of a moustache I pretend it's a walrus' big old whiskers.

Yeah, like a lot of people here, if my hair is too soft (like today after a washing) I put it up or else I can't stop smelling/petting it. I have it in a Gibson Tuck right now for that reason, though to be honest my hair is usually unmanagably crinkly at the ends when I take it down. But that's another thread.

HadessThera
August 1st, 2012, 06:44 PM
I run my fingers through my hair or ruffle my hair when I'm nervous and I'm always nervous so I fiddle with my hair constantly :)

californiagirl
August 1st, 2012, 07:02 PM
Yup. Even when it's up, I take it down several times a day to play with it and put it back up. Sad but true. And if it's down, I'm constantly massaging my scalp, finger combing, braid and unbraiding it. It's ridiculous, but geez, that's half the fun of having it long!!! :D

This sounds exactly like me. Exactly.

I do it so much that I wonder if other people notice that I play with my hair so much and if they think it is odd. Meh. Oh, well.

Simone_Fatale
August 7th, 2012, 06:34 AM
Haha, yesterday a friend of mine actually asked me: "Are you growing your hair long just so you can play with it?". I just can't fight the urge, it's so silky and soft and nice. :)

Changling
August 7th, 2012, 06:52 AM
My ponytail was always like my pet or something (back when I had one...T__T). I always seemed to be holding it, finger-combing it, etc. lol. I don't even care, it's soft! I liked touching it.

Honey_Bear89
August 7th, 2012, 12:57 PM
I am always running my fingers through it or moving it from side to side. It just feels so soft! It is kind of comforting to play with for some reason. :) I touch it even more if I am nervous.

aisha.christine
August 7th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Yup. :o I have the hardest time leaving it alone. I finger comb it obsessively, which is probably why I keep having horrible sheds. It's just so soft! :p

gillybeanxo3921
August 7th, 2012, 01:35 PM
I do this all the time! I can't help it, I'm obsessed with my hair. If the ends are soft, I can't stop touching it, and if they're dry and crunchy, I still can't stop touching them.

I don't know if I'll ever be able to stop.

I read online it's bad for your hair, and can dry it out, but I just can't

Logi Bear
August 7th, 2012, 03:38 PM
My hair is just at collar bone length so its not very long, but I find myself touching it and playing with it like crazy when its down, its a bad habit of mine, especially when my hair is at its softest. I also have a bad habit of digging at my scalp. I try to keep it because it looks horrible right now, but also it helps me keep my hands out of it lol.

KwaveT
August 7th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Most of my touching is pushing my hair out of my face. That is why I finally decided to start using a head band so I will leave my hair alone. The rest of time I grab my hair in back and push it out so that will stay out of my shirt. I have an obsession too with handling my hair. It looks bad enough for you women but I can only imagine what people think of me when they see a man handling his hair as much as I do. I about gotta look vain.

AdaClare
August 7th, 2012, 06:35 PM
I do the same thing! haha I feel like I constantly find myself finger-combing my hair, pushing my fringe back, etc. :P

jojo
August 7th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Me too! I just can't help it and it destroys my waves, I'm really trying to leave it alone as I really love my hair when it's just left to do its thing! It's a hard habit to break!

Angelistarr
September 26th, 2012, 05:21 PM
LOL I'm the same way as well. ESP when I'm home. It actually pisses my mom off cause she automatically thinks it looks greasy when its not. (Sorta poo for a couple months so yeah I constantly get nag nag nag)

IzzyFlyy
September 26th, 2012, 05:24 PM
I do that when my hair is flatironed (like twice a year) can't screw with my hair alot when its curly out if fear of making it angry lol.

kitcatsmeow
September 26th, 2012, 05:44 PM
I totally do this. And since my hair is nice and healthy and silky soft now I can't help it. That is why I wear it up 99% of the time!

longforthis
September 26th, 2012, 05:58 PM
I have curly hair, so if it's down I can't comb through it or scrunch..it frizzes up.

BUT I do poke, bounce, and stretch the curls. :D If I'm having a good hair day, before I put it up. xD

cooklaezo13
September 26th, 2012, 07:00 PM
yes, I have that problem too!! Can't keep my hands out of my hair!

hufflepug
September 26th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Me too, especially now that it's getting longer. A lot of times what I like to do is lean back in my office chair as far as I can, so my hair falls down straight behind me, and then give myself scalp massages.

Probably not exactly professional, but I work the night shift and it's usually just me and one person here at the time.