PDA

View Full Version : Red Hair ?

BeautifullHair
August 1st, 2012, 03:11 AM
Hey guys.

So Im in a kinda funny situation here.

I've always had bright red hair, I mean red like a apple not orange. I'm really missing it and all my friends and family are telling me it suits me most. I colored my hair a darkish brown a few months ago so i could grow my natural hair color out. It use to be a nice blond but now that i have about a inch of virgin growth , my hair color has changed? its is a really horrible grayish dark blonde and im not loving it one bit. When i use to color my hair red i did not look after it one bit. I straightened and blowdryed teased it bleached it put purple through it, never deep conditioned it . so of course it fell out and thinned out and looked well like crap.

So my question is do you know a way to get bright red hair using Henna? I know you most likely cant.
Or if i chemically dye my hair and really look after it. I dont ever use heat on my hair, i only use conditioner and deep condition it almost everytime i wash. I use coconut oil on it regularly and usually wear my hair up in a bun or loose braid. Its hardly ever loose.

Do any of use have chemically dyed hair with healthish hair???
And are you still able to grow it out? i want to grow mine to about hip.
Do you think that will be possible?

Sorry for all the qustions and stuff but i really miss my red hair :(
Please help

CorinaS
August 1st, 2012, 04:00 AM
-Getting bright red with henna is difficult if you're not a blonde and judging by your profile pic, your hair is quite dark, so it will probably be dark auburn, burgundy/mahogany/burgundy; you should check out this thread to see how henna looks like on different types of hair:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=2239522#post2239522
-You can get healthy chemically dyed hair, but it depends on the type of hair, on the dye you use and how you take care it; there are some threads around here about chemically dyed hair, so you can check them out yourself.

Henna-ing your hair is definitely safer and healthier, thus making your hair easier to maintain and grow, but the color range is pretty limited. I'm a henna-head and I love it. It glows really red in the sun and burgundy in the shade and it does no damage.
Also, keep in mind that henna is permanent and it's very hard to remove from hair. It is said that you can't use other dyes over it (I don't know if it's true). Another aspect is that henna works by attaching itself to the keratin in your hair. If your hair is very damaged there may not be enough keratin for the color to be even. If you decide to henna, you must definitely do a strand test before.

Hope this helps!

pink.sara
August 1st, 2012, 04:04 AM
Hey guys.

So Im in a kinda funny situation here.

I've always had bright red hair, I mean red like a apple not orange. I'm really missing it and all my friends and family are telling me it suits me most. I colored my hair a darkish brown a few months ago so i could grow my natural hair color out. It use to be a nice blond but now that i have about a inch of virgin growth , my hair color has changed? its is a really horrible grayish dark blonde and im not loving it one bit. When i use to color my hair red i did not look after it one bit. I straightened and blowdryed teased it bleached it put purple through it, never deep conditioned it . so of course it fell out and thinned out and looked well like crap.

So my question is do you know a way to get bright red hair using Henna? I know you most likely cant.
Or if i chemically dye my hair and really look after it. I dont ever use heat on my hair, i only use conditioner and deep condition it almost everytime i wash. I use coconut oil on it regularly and usually wear my hair up in a bun or loose braid. Its hardly ever loose.

Do any of use have chemically dyed hair with healthish hair???
And are you still able to grow it out? i want to grow mine to about hip.
Do you think that will be possible?

Sorry for all the qustions and stuff but i really miss my red hair :(
Please help

You can acheive a really vibrant red with henna on a darkish blonde like you describe :) Check out the http://www.hennaforhair.com/ website for colour examples

And honestly if after you chemically treated your hair before it fell out and snapped you probably don't have hair tough enough to get to hip and look decent with high lift bleaching.

In answer also to your question, yes my hair is BSL at 25 inches and I have bleached dyed and bleached again multiple times and it is still shiny, strong and does not split.
But I use lot's of protein reconstructors and deep moisture conditioner, coconut oil at least once a fortnight heavily and have very tough hair. I have had classic bleached hair before, it can be done, but you have to be careful with it, and also I think have some tough hair to start with!

In your case as you are only lightening from a dark blonde/ash brown you could use a professional colour with a 10volume peroxide developer see very little damage and still have a very bright red.

Just remember to never double process, dont colour from roots to ends every time you do your roots, just use a colour refresher or toner inbetween to keep your red bright.

HTH

Amber_Maiden
August 1st, 2012, 06:08 AM
You'd have to have blonde hair to get the colour you want with henna.

gratitudinous
August 1st, 2012, 06:24 AM
I have a similar natural color (horrible grayish dark blonde, hehe), and one thing to think about: You natural color will probably get lighter and more golden if it gets even a little sun exposure. Mine goes really bright honey blonde!

In answer to your red query, I think you could achieve a bright apple red from this: http://www.hennahut.com/natural_red_hair_dye

It's not 100% henna, and whatever natural things they put in there change the color from an orange red to a deeper more cherry red. It's pretty great!
I used it once on my mostly natural hair, but the cool red undertones didn't suit me. It fades, so you need to redo or do a heavy gloss monthly, but it's a really RED color.

HTH! :)

BeautifullHair
August 1st, 2012, 06:32 AM
Thank you guys for repling and the helpful information :)

So i looked at the Henna site and i like the look of Easy Auburn .
I might ( if i can) buy a small batch to do some strand tests. And if i cant get it to work i will probably dye my hair. My mum actually uses 10volume peroxide so i will do that. In my opiion i think i treat my hair very well and it is strong. When i did it in the past as i said i was very rough and mean to my hair that is why it fell out. My Family is known to have very thick strong hair. Mine is just thin and strong hair that needs to be taken care of :)

Thanks again everyone, i shall keep you informed :D

BeautifullHair
August 1st, 2012, 06:33 AM
Oh one more thing.
If the henna didnt turn out as bright.
Is it okay to bleach my hair and then henna is ???

longNred
August 1st, 2012, 07:48 AM
my personal opinion is you should try some manic panic reds first, before COMMITTING to henna. henna IS a commitment. also realize not all henna is created equal. some is BAQ, the only kind I'd use on my head, and some is not. some have additives that may not play nicely with other chemicals.