PDA

View Full Version : Hair dry when wet (?!) & shedding question

joflakes
August 1st, 2012, 12:56 AM
Hi guys!

So, recently I have noticed that when my hair is air-drying and about 50% dry, it feels a bit dry at the ends. Any idea what this could be? I'm currently using a small amount of SLS-shampoo and a coney conditioner (I bought two bottles ages ago I'm trying to use up) and about once a week coconut oiling.

Also, shedding. Does anyone else seem to panic about this time of year about it!? I recall the same happening last year but my hair was shorter so I didn't really worry as much. It isn't horrendous but much more than in the colder seasons. Do we malt the same as animals when it is hot?! Hmm!

TIA :flower:

CurlySasha
August 1st, 2012, 10:19 AM
I'm not sure about the shedding, but I'm sure it's nothing to worry about!
As for the dry ends, a couple of things; it's probably time for a trim! This is the major one. It sucks, but it must be done. Also, maybe your hair doesn't like cones! Try a heavy cone-free condish. Try leaving some coconut oil on your ends after you shower, too.
Good luck :)

afu
August 1st, 2012, 10:27 AM
I find that skipping cones and applying sweet almond oil to the ends really makes a huge difference, might be worth a try for you. You can get sweet almond oil really cheaply compared to coconut, I think mine was just under £5 for 500ml of cold pressed aromatherapy quality oil

Avital88
August 1st, 2012, 10:29 AM
a few drops of any oil on damp hair will do(the dry ends)

Madora
August 1st, 2012, 10:46 AM
A drop or two of mineral oil (baby oil) on the ends can do wonders (plus help trap in the moisture longer). No oily feeling, leaves the ends soft and shiny.

Tia2010
August 1st, 2012, 10:47 AM
Does it still feel dry after you hair is fully dry? My hair usually feels weirdly dryish as it dries but fine when it's fully dry. I would try a little oil on the damp ends to see if that helps.

If it still feels dry on the ends after it fully dries I will usually try clarifying then doing a few DT and oiling for a month and if it's still dry feeling, I get a trim...even a small dusting usually makes it better.

gonzobird
August 1st, 2012, 11:15 AM
I was just shedding a bunch too recently when it got so hot here. lasted about a month and has seemed to settle down now.

As for dry ends...i find if i use silicones all the time my ends dry out too. Those ends need to be oiled! On damp hair to seal moisture in.

Siiri
August 1st, 2012, 12:26 PM
So, recently I have noticed that when my hair is air-drying and about 50% dry, it feels a bit dry at the ends. Any idea what this could be? I'm currently using a small amount of SLS-shampoo and a coney conditioner (I bought two bottles ages ago I'm trying to use up) and about once a week coconut oiling.

I get this too - my hair feels coarser and is frizzier when it's drying, but once it has dried, it's normal again. I have had this always regardless of what washing method I happen to be using. For me using a bit of oil on damp hair reduces both the coarseness and frizz while it dries, but with dry (not wet) hair there's not really a difference in how it feels. I don't know what causes this, but it doesn't really bother me. Maybe it's just the frizz that makes the hair feel coarser and thus drier, and once the waves settle down the hair feels smoother and softer?

mamaherrera
August 1st, 2012, 06:56 PM
I've increased shedding these last two summer months, I'm hoping to see it calm down. But everyone says it's normal to shed high in fall and spring, so I hope I'm not in for a long continuous run.

joflakes
August 2nd, 2012, 12:25 AM
I'm not sure about the shedding, but I'm sure it's nothing to worry about!
As for the dry ends, a couple of things; it's probably time for a trim! This is the major one. It sucks, but it must be done. Also, maybe your hair doesn't like cones! Try a heavy cone-free condish. Try leaving some coconut oil on your ends after you shower, too.
Good luck :)

I really really don't want to trim. It's only been 3 months since my last one and I'm barely skimming SL.
I think I'll try a cone-free conditioner though! I have coconut oil already which I'll also try using more frequently.

I find that skipping cones and applying sweet almond oil to the ends really makes a huge difference, might be worth a try for you. You can get sweet almond oil really cheaply compared to coconut, I think mine was just under £5 for 500ml of cold pressed aromatherapy quality oil

a few drops of any oil on damp hair will do(the dry ends)

Ooh that sounds nice. I do have coconut but if I can find sweet almond on the cheap I'll get some. Where did you buy yours?

A drop or two of mineral oil (baby oil) on the ends can do wonders (plus help trap in the moisture longer). No oily feeling, leaves the ends soft and shiny.

Thank you! I'll have to give it a go sometime.

Does it still feel dry after you hair is fully dry? My hair usually feels weirdly dryish as it dries but fine when it's fully dry. I would try a little oil on the damp ends to see if that helps.

If it still feels dry on the ends after it fully dries I will usually try clarifying then doing a few DT and oiling for a month and if it's still dry feeling, I get a trim...even a small dusting usually makes it better.

No when they're dry they feel fine! Strange. I'll do that, thank you.

I was just shedding a bunch too recently when it got so hot here. lasted about a month and has seemed to settle down now.

As for dry ends...i find if i use silicones all the time my ends dry out too. Those ends need to be oiled! On damp hair to seal moisture in.

It's weird, this conditioner kinda makes my hair feel too weighed down and almost like I can feel my hair coated in something. Bleugh. I guess it's time for a shake up! I'll oil my ends next time, too. :)

I get this too - my hair feels coarser and is frizzier when it's drying, but once it has dried, it's normal again. I have had this always regardless of what washing method I happen to be using. For me using a bit of oil on damp hair reduces both the coarseness and frizz while it dries, but with dry (not wet) hair there's not really a difference in how it feels. I don't know what causes this, but it doesn't really bother me. Maybe it's just the frizz that makes the hair feel coarser and thus drier, and once the waves settle down the hair feels smoother and softer?

I'm glad it isn't just me!
Yeah it could be that. My hair is naturally a little wavy so it wouldn't surprise me.

I've increased shedding these last two summer months, I'm hoping to see it calm down. But everyone says it's normal to shed high in fall and spring, so I hope I'm not in for a long continuous run.

Hmm...I just recall July-ish last year shedding a lot. Not any other times! Oh well. I'm not losing handfuls so it should balance out!

seahorseannie
August 2nd, 2012, 01:05 AM
I go through phases of shedding, and it's like I'm trying to outdo my 3 cats for adding to the dust bunnies! As each hair I lose is nearly 3 feet long, it just looks more. My doc did a thyroid test , as that can be a hairloss reason in the over 40's, I now take thyroxine each day and I have to say that my shedding slowed down noticably.

joflakes
August 2nd, 2012, 08:14 AM
I go through phases of shedding, and it's like I'm trying to outdo my 3 cats for adding to the dust bunnies! As each hair I lose is nearly 3 feet long, it just looks more. My doc did a thyroid test , as that can be a hairloss reason in the over 40's, I now take thyroxine each day and I have to say that my shedding slowed down noticably.

Hehe :laugh: I am jealous of your hair length! At least mine are easier to untangle from my comb I guess!

I just bought some 'Faith in Nature' S&C. Shampo is organic pomegranate and rooibos and SLS free, and the conditioner is chocolate (it smells so good) and has no cones in it! Woop! I hope they work. Wash day tomorrow!

ETA: Also picked up some sweet almond oil for £1.99 for a big bottle! Win!

WaitingSoLong
August 2nd, 2012, 08:36 AM
I have noticed a lot of people saying they are shedding a lot and have excessive heat where they live. Maybe because I am one of them. I went through a huge shed all of June and July and I think it has finally abated.

My ends feel dry when wet. They are old, though, and have been through much. When they get particularly crunchy, I know I need to clarify. It sounds harsh and drying, but I will just clarify the ends (last 6" or so) REALLY well, then super-condition. But I am a cone user. I always slather some conditioner on my hair after I have wrung the water from it and leave it in.

I recently have tried the mineral oil and, like every other oil I have ever used, no matter how little I use, it only makes my hair look piecey and oily. However, since I keep my hair braided or bunned 99% of the time, I don't care, I do it anyway. My ends usually feel fine once they are dry (softer) so I think it has to do with damage and the way the water is absorbed differently on the ends (or not absorbed).