PDA

View Full Version : Job interview hair - lawyer

lmfbs
July 31st, 2012, 10:16 PM
I have an interview for my dream job tomorrow (you can read about it here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=2241381#post2241381)). I was thinking a braided bun like the one below - is this professional enough?

The interview is for a job in the same organisation I work in, but a more important job.

http://distilleryimage2.instagram.com/ee8ccd66db8c11e1920522000a1cdf49_7.jpg

Appreciate any feedback or alternative suggestions - I'm definitely not set on this particular hairstyle.

MidnightMoon
July 31st, 2012, 10:32 PM
well it seems pretty clean and professional to me, another option could be a simple bun, or an infinity bun with a nice hair piece

blondie9912
July 31st, 2012, 10:51 PM
I like it, very clean-looking. I'm not sure what the response to a hair stick might be, perhaps it can be secured with Spin Pins?

akilina
July 31st, 2012, 10:57 PM
It looks very nice! I am all in favor of it.
Aside from that do you think the company is more concerned with your work ethic, and being productive? Or image? I ask this in a neutral unbaised way. Just wondering.
I don't see anything unprofessional about it. It looks neat and well crafted.

one_fine_lady
July 31st, 2012, 11:01 PM
I'm jealous of this braid/bun. Very nice :)

spotsb4myiz
July 31st, 2012, 11:05 PM
I think it is a fabulous court room look. Very polished and professional.

Sarahlabyrinth
July 31st, 2012, 11:19 PM
I think it looks fabulous. And I think they will be concentrating more on your abilities than your hair. Go for it!

Five of Five
July 31st, 2012, 11:36 PM
IMO it would be suitable for most job interviews. However, corporate interviews are a bit stricter than most in terms of attire.

Corporate environments tend to be conservative and even patriarchal. During the interview process they are going to be assessing your ability to fit into their department's culture - particularly since you're a new graduate. You already have an advantage here since you work there already, however, if you want to play it safe, it may be a good idea to downplay your hair by omitting the braid and having a less visible way to secure it - such as spin pins.

Best of luck!

BlazingHeart
July 31st, 2012, 11:55 PM
Hmm, I'm in the same field...I think you'd be better off with a non-braided bun. As simple, smooth, and sleek as you can get.

Ramona_Fosca
August 1st, 2012, 12:33 AM
I was asking about very professional hair styles a while ago, maybe you can find an idea there (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=74141&highlight=fosca).

joflakes
August 1st, 2012, 12:38 AM
I would probably just keep it to a straightforward bun with no hair stick, secured by bobby or spin pins...keep it as understated as possible! Good luck.

lmfbs
August 1st, 2012, 12:46 AM
It looks very nice! I am all in favor of it.
Aside from that do you think the company is more concerned with your work ethic, and being productive? Or image? I ask this in a neutral unbaised way. Just wondering.
I don't see anything unprofessional about it. It looks neat and well crafted.

Thanks! Work ethic, definitely. The role involves very little client contact face to face as it's more an advisory role, so as long as I'm neat and tidy and professional looking, it should be fine.

IMO it would be suitable for most job interviews. However, corporate interviews are a bit stricter than most in terms of attire.

Corporate environments tend to be conservative and even patriarchal. During the interview process they are going to be assessing your ability to fit into their department's culture - particularly since you're a new graduate. You already have an advantage here since you work there already, however, if you want to play it safe, it may be a good idea to downplay your hair by omitting the braid and having a less visible way to secure it - such as spin pins.

Best of luck!

Thanks! Luckily, the job I'm going for is in a govt department with a huge number of women. I know all 3 people on the interview panel and the team I would be working in. I wear hairsticks to work (in the same place) and often get compliments, so I'm thinking it would probably be ok.

Hmm, I'm in the same field...I think you'd be better off with a non-braided bun. As simple, smooth, and sleek as you can get.

My hair is baby-hair city - 'sleek' isn't really something my hair is ale to do :p

I was asking about very professional hair styles a while ago, maybe you can find an idea there (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=74141&highlight=fosca).

Thanks so much for that link, it's fantastic. I must have missed it in my search, thanks!

InTheCity
August 1st, 2012, 08:24 PM

I agree with BlazingHeart.

And small lawyer joke here but OF COURSE you live in Philly, BH ;)

10000days
August 1st, 2012, 08:44 PM
That is BEAUTIFUL although I think the braid with the clip draws a little too much focus to your hair. I look at it and think "she puts a lot of focus into her hair" which is great for everyday but maybe not so much for a job interview. I think a style that's as simple as possible would be best; like a bun with no clips visible.
On the flip side, though, they already know you since you work there so maybe it doesn't matter... How do you normally do your hair? Do the people who are interviewing you, know you already?
My gut tells me, go with something less attention-grabbing.

And good luck!

MiamiPineapple
August 1st, 2012, 08:53 PM
I work in pharma sales and deal with doctors. I think a simple bun is always best.

lmfbs
August 1st, 2012, 08:53 PM
Good news - I had the interview this morning and worse my hair just like that. There were no comments about my hair other than 'your hair is so shiny today' from the female panelist.

I often wear what others would think were elaborate hairstyles to work (double dutch braided buns, triple french braids, zig zag braids and herringbones) so I think they're all used to it. I think all of the people on the panel would have seen me put up my hair in something that looks professional in less than a minute, so they're probably not really fussed or impressed anymore!

Thanks everyone for the tips! Now the waiting game begins.

MiamiPineapple
August 1st, 2012, 08:54 PM
P.S. good luck!!! You must be very smart to have an interview as an attorney. All of my friends that are recent grads from law school are struggling. You will do great!

Maybe
August 1st, 2012, 09:01 PM
Good luck. Given that they are used to your hairstyles I am.sure it didn't hurt you. I do agree though that when interviewing for a corporate job the simpler the better. You don't want them thinking "gee, she must spend a lotof.tie.thinking Bout/doing her hIr.

lmfbs
August 1st, 2012, 09:03 PM
P.S. good luck!!! You must be very smart to have an interview as an attorney. All of my friends that are recent grads from law school are struggling. You will do great!

The job market is super tough right now - I think over 500 people applied for this position (and I live in a city of about 350,000). I'm very lucky to be in the position where I even get an interview - I'm really grateful for all the hard work I've put in for all of these years at law school!