PDA

View Full Version : Hair jealousy?

MestizoGypsy
July 31st, 2012, 09:33 PM
Does anyone else ever find themselves getting irrationally jealous of other people's hair? Of course I know we all appreciate the beauty of long hair, but I just saw a classmate of mine who has waist length+ hair, and I'm just so jealous!! It seems like mine will never be there :( I call it falling into a 'hair funk.' How do y'all encourage yourselves when it seems like you'll never reach your goal?

amanda_the_tall
July 31st, 2012, 09:36 PM
it happens to me all the time! i just do a deep conditioning then tell myself if i take good care of my hair, it'll grow and be nice and healthy and shiny once i reach my goal. or i put it up and focus (obsess) on other things, if that doesn't work.

Winnie!
July 31st, 2012, 09:38 PM
I have this all the time! I just deal by treating my hair as nicely as possible. I know if I keep it healthy it'll grow long and beautiful. (A little more patience would be nice, though. :p )

AnqeIicDemise
July 31st, 2012, 09:40 PM
I was at an Indian Festival on Sunday. I had the worst case of the Green Eyed monster. :P

What's worse is that I trimmed almost 2 inches of hair on accident too (I looked down making a deeper U when using Feye's self trim method and I had to fix it.) so now I'm like.. that much further away from my goal of hip.

On the plus side, that means I got one less inch or so to get rid of before I'm layer free and I got less splits. Hurrah for being positive!

cwarren
July 31st, 2012, 09:43 PM
I don't get jealous, I get motivated :)

MestizoGypsy
July 31st, 2012, 09:46 PM
Haha preach it girl!! I just wish it was something I had more real control over, ya know? I've lost a ton of weight in the last few months, and it's been great cause all of my hard work and eating healthy have paid off, and I'm seeing my goal realized. I wish there was something I could do to make it grow faster!!

Demi-Plum
July 31st, 2012, 09:46 PM
Every time I see classic length + I get insanely jealous. I love looking at it, but I WANT it. I know it's not right... but I can't help it.

palebluelantern
July 31st, 2012, 09:48 PM
Yes! I'm really glad someone brought this up. I've been getting the most awful hair jealousy when I see people with long, wavy hair. I've also been getting bad "hair regret" when I look at pictures of myself before I cut it.

jojo89
July 31st, 2012, 09:53 PM
Your hair is pretty and long. Just cuz it's not as long as hers means squat. I get a lil jealous but more motivated cuz I know I can do i. It just takes patience; you will get there. Look at pics of long hair and remind yourself how bad you want it. Don't obsess over it, but keep it in mind when you feel an urge to give up, color, or cut.

MestizoGypsy
July 31st, 2012, 09:55 PM
Yes! I'm really glad someone brought this up. I've been getting the most awful hair jealousy when I see people with long, wavy hair. I've also been getting bad "hair regret" when I look at pictures of myself before I cut it.
I hear that!! I just barely got a trim, a dusting, ya know? And it was much needed. But I feel like so much hair is missing, and just so much further from my goal.

jojo89
July 31st, 2012, 09:59 PM
palebluelantern- Amen to the "hair regret." I've done some mean things to my hair, but I'm determined to quit making those mistakes. I always get so close and then screw it up. I hate myself for it, but what can ya do? =)

vanillabones
July 31st, 2012, 10:02 PM
Eh I feel like I will NEVER get there... often. But I will just keep growing and taking care of it and see what happens.

MestizoGypsy
July 31st, 2012, 10:50 PM
Eh I feel like I will NEVER get there... often. But I will just keep growing and taking care of it and see what happens.
I guess that's the best way to handle it. Just grow hair, growwwww!!!!

Shepherdess
July 31st, 2012, 10:53 PM

Same here :D

On a more encouraging note. It may seem like forever to grow your hair out, but never give up! You have lovely hair and I think it looks nice and long! :)

MestizoGypsy
July 31st, 2012, 11:12 PM
Same here :D

On a more encouraging note. It may seem like forever to grow your hair out, but never give up! You have lovely hair and I think it looks nice and long! :)
Aww thank you Shepherdess!! As much as my recent trim bothered me, I'm glad to get the pre LCH damage off of it, and even more glad that it still looks long!!

SongofLove
July 31st, 2012, 11:19 PM
Every time I see classic length + I get insanely jealous. I love looking at it, but I WANT it. I know it's not right... but I can't help it.

Hahaha! Yeah, I feel like that too sometimes. Like---"Oooh, pretty! Mind if I...Take it?" :D

And Indian hair, oh boy...I had 3 Indian friends in one undergrad Chemistry class I was taking, and they all sat in front of me. I spent a lot of time gazing longingly at their long, thick braids! When I see hair that thick and lovely I can't help but want it :)

I also think that red hair is exceptionally pretty and I get kinda jelly when I see it (though it wouldn't look good on me anyway).

MestizoGypsy
July 31st, 2012, 11:24 PM
SongOfLove, I totally agree! I don't have the coloring to be a redhead, but I've always wished for long red hair. It kills me when natural redheads dye their hair other colors!!

Mrsbaybeegurl
August 1st, 2012, 12:04 AM
I guess sometimes I feel like that but really I try and remember that this is probably the last time (at least for a LONG time) that my hair will be at the leghth it is now. I'm growing to tailbone and see myself maintaining there for a pretty long time. I often see many posts here about people already at tailbone or below having "short hair envy" talking about how badly they want their hair APL or above but think they may regret it...it's the grass is greener theory lol

I want long hair for many reasons but my hair is APL and I'm at the stage where I can braid, bun, twist whathave you so it's still easily styled and easy upkeep, but it's just not as long and flowing as I'de like...when I get there I may miss the feeling of APL or even shoulder legth hair, so I'm enjoying the journey :)

SongofLove
August 1st, 2012, 12:13 AM
I want long hair for many reasons but my hair is APL and I'm at the stage where I can braid, bun, twist whathave you so it's still easily styled and easy upkeep, but it's just not as long and flowing as I'de like...when I get there I may miss the feeling of APL or even shoulder legth hair, so I'm enjoying the journey :)

Wow, great point! It's so true...For example, my hair at this length looks flippin' ridiculous if I try to do a French twist...

Colourful
August 1st, 2012, 12:15 AM
I'm not a jealous person so I can only admire someone's hair. :-)

joflakes
August 1st, 2012, 12:43 AM
YES. Just last night I had a dream one of my friends who has BSL hair now had TBL hair and it was gorgeous :laugh:

I try to remind myself that I have worked for over a year to get my hair to this length and that it is awesome and mine and it will grow. Then I try not to think about it anymore!

Sarahlabyrinth
August 1st, 2012, 12:47 AM
Yes, of course I get jealous of other people's hair.

Then I tell myself that my hair IS growing and that there are people who would like my hair. Then I feel better.

Dang3rousB3auty
August 1st, 2012, 01:45 AM
I don't think I get jealous. It just makes me excited to take care of my hair and watch it grow. Gets me excited and motivates me :)

PolarCathy
August 1st, 2012, 02:17 AM
I'm not jealous. I do want some people's length, but hair quality over mine, honestly, very rarely. Not mentioning that I couldn't pull off anything else than very dark hair and it just has to have the quality mine has (big, poofy and/or wiry), otherwise it would look very weird on my 6' tall body. Sometimes when I see even bigger hairs I get a bit jealous. If I can modify the question further though, I'd love to be 5' 2" - 5' x" AND have smoother, sleeker hair, so then yes I can be jealous.

DancingQueen
August 1st, 2012, 02:35 AM

I know what you mean about hair regret, I get a massive case of it every time I look at my old pictures.

I don't often have hair jealousy, because I rarely see people with very long hair around here. Only at LHC. :D When a case comes up, I look at my old progress pics to confirm that my hair actually did grow. :)

tigereye
August 1st, 2012, 02:47 AM
I do. Although I think it's a case of underestimating the length of my own hair. I often pine for the length of someone else's hair, until someone points out that my hair is longer/ almost as long. I think I feel like my hair is only halfway between waist and hip, when it's actually just starting to brush BCL.

jellycatty
August 1st, 2012, 02:59 AM
I get jealous of people with pin straight hair lol

KhiraLi
August 1st, 2012, 03:27 AM
I'm not jealous over length because that I can achieve. I'm jealous of people with wavy/curly hair with a lof of volume.

wendylai
August 1st, 2012, 03:34 AM
I get it all the time here :D

SOOOO many of you have GORGEOUS hair... I tried yeasterday to take a lenght photo of myself and got totally depressed.. Maybe it was because all the oil hadnt washed out of my lenghts, or my hair just looked dull, or I had a wrong idea about it after eyeinf LHC photoes all day long but the experience was crushing. :rolleyes:

FrannyG
August 1st, 2012, 03:46 AM
I've never been jealous of other people's hair, to my recollection. I do admire other hair types and lengths though. As to my hair type, I've learned to love it. There's no point to wishing for what I know I can never have. I just strive for my own hair to be the best that it can be for its type.

As to the length, I know that I will get where I want to go in time. I don't feel as though I'm in a race, although I did feel that impatience when I first joined here. That's a long time ago though. Now that I know how relatively quickly hair grows, I'm in no hurry and I'm just enjoying the journey. I've never regretted cutting off damage or straggly ends.

pink.sara
August 1st, 2012, 03:53 AM
Not jealous, more regretful that I ever cut it off in the first place.

Also I admire hair that can hold a curl or has nutural waves or curls and movement. Mine hangs like a weighted sheet :rolleyes:

Five of Five
August 1st, 2012, 04:06 AM
I'm not jealous over length because that I can achieve. I'm jealous of people with wavy/curly hair with a lot of volume.

This, exactly. I know that with time and the right care, my hair too will eventually grow long, so I don't envy anyone's length, or even condition, for that matter. Also, I don't consider length to be that important in the overall look of my hair.

OTOH, I have always admired beautiful curls and waves, and I get envious because I know they are so unattainable for my hair type. Even when I had a perm, it was still my usual 1b unless I scrunched it with mousse every morning.

Louise148
August 1st, 2012, 04:19 AM
I also am more regretful that 2 years ago I had my shoulder length hair cut into a pixie (it would probably be APL by now if I hadn't) then ruined that with overprocessing. But I have learnt my lesson and am now on the long road back to long healthy hair. Just reached ear length...or what I call 'helmet head' with a little mullet.

I do, however get a little jealous when i see people with beautiful thick hair. Mine is quite fine and can get lank looking very quickly. But not much I can do about that so I have to just get over it i guess :(

sakuraemily
August 1st, 2012, 04:31 AM
Yes all the time!!!:draw:
But I get jealous when people have thicker or shinier hair than I do.
I'm jealous of your hair Mustigo gypsy...

inertia
August 1st, 2012, 05:46 AM
All the time. I'm surrounded by people with 1a/1b hair. Even if their hair is damaged and full of splits, it's still sleeker and shinier than mine when it's healthy. The range of hair types here is very narrow so I constantly worry that everybody assumes my hair is damaged instead of understanding that it's just a natural variation. And I feel like there is nothing I can do to make my hair look pretty in this situation, especially when the humidity is making my hair get even more rebelliously frizzy.

Amber_Maiden
August 1st, 2012, 05:56 AM
Never jealous. Just envious, sometimes, and only with about two people- and they are on LHC lol

Alexandriaweb
August 1st, 2012, 07:46 AM
I occasionally see a lady on my bus route who has classic hair and I get super jealous and wish my hair would grow more.

Vampyria
August 1st, 2012, 08:43 AM
I get jealous, when I see somebody with ii-iii or iii hair, while mine that was once pretty thick is now continuously thinning. I'm not even sure, if I will be able to reach desired length without a huge taper because of that.

I also saw a girl today that had beautiful orange BSL hair. I gave up the dye and harsh chemicals, but when I see orange hair, I always think about dyeing mine that color again. But then, I remember why I stopped.

Oh and also, when I see somebody with really beautiful waves. My hair went from curly to wavy and then to almost straight, so I miss the waves a bit. But this can be solved with braids and such.

ariesfairies
August 1st, 2012, 08:58 AM
Naw, not jealous of hair length, just regretful of cutting and inspired to keep going! The envy is usually saved for manageableness/appearance/health than the length itself P:

jojo89
August 1st, 2012, 09:08 AM
^Well put.

sharonluvscats
August 1st, 2012, 09:29 AM
Does anyone else ever find themselves getting irrationally jealous of other people's hair? Of course I know we all appreciate the beauty of long hair, but I just saw a classmate of mine who has waist length+ hair, and I'm just so jealous!! It seems like mine will never be there :( I call it falling into a 'hair funk.' How do y'all encourage yourselves when it seems like you'll never reach your goal?

I do it all the time. I've always had the nasty habit of comparing myself to other women. I get so jealous when I see girls with nicer looking (to me) long hair. I just decided to accept my hair for what it is. It is still growing and will get there someday. I have to just appreciate what I have. There are people who have super short terminal length who will never even reach waist. I'm very grateful that my hair can grow long and hopefully past waist length. Just think, you'll be there someday and people will be looking at your hair with envy. Some people already might.

sharonluvscats
August 1st, 2012, 09:37 AM
SongOfLove, I totally agree! I don't have the coloring to be a redhead, but I've always wished for long red hair. It kills me when natural redheads dye their hair other colors!!

I get extremely jealous of readheads too! I have two cousins with naturally red hair and I hate them. I actually have the coloring for it but it is such an annoying color to maintain. I've dyed my hair red in the past and it always fades when I don't want it to and won't fade when I want it too. It kills me when natural redheads dye their hair...you hear that Lohan?!

MrsGuther
August 1st, 2012, 09:57 AM
I'd like to think of it as hair admiration! :eyebrows:

catamonica
August 1st, 2012, 10:13 AM
Before, I finally got waist length hair, I used to look at women with real long hair. Wishing my hair could get that long. A little envy. But now that it's at hip, I don't feel that way anymore.

MestizoGypsy
August 1st, 2012, 10:15 AM
I'm glad that this thread got such a good response!! It's definitely good to know that I'm not the only one who feels this way, but y'all also brought some good points up- God willing, this will be the last time my hair is at this length, and since it hasn't been any longer since I was a little girl, I have no clue about how much more difficult it will be to manage once it's longer. I also forget that for everyone who's jealous of someone else's hair, there's undoubtedly someone jealous of our hair too. I think the health is also very important- not very many people have both long and healthy hair, so I'm glad that LHC has taught me so much!

snowtale
August 1st, 2012, 10:17 AM
I have seen hair on this forum that makes me envious. Especially hair that can hold dye, since mine can't at all! :(

Mya
August 1st, 2012, 10:57 AM
I'm not a jealous person so I can only admire someone's hair. :-)
I too prefer to admire! What's the point of feeling bad if you see something beautiful?

jojo
August 1st, 2012, 12:49 PM
I used to do but I've just grown to accept what I've got, it's not the prettiest on here but it's mine and I'm proud of what I've got. I think you tend to get to a length and obtaining the unachievable no longer is an issue, you sort of feel proud of not chopping off and that makes me more determined to grow longer.

Boucles d'or
August 1st, 2012, 01:07 PM
Absolutely yes! I'm yealous about women with long gorgious hair! But I don't think there is something wrong with it... it motivates me to grow it longer!

Tia2010
August 1st, 2012, 01:16 PM
I'm hit with hair envy quite a lot :D

Then I calm down and get back to the reality of growing my hair.

gillybeanxo3921
August 1st, 2012, 01:55 PM
My family goes camping with the boy I like's family, and last year before I got there him and his friends became aquainted with this other girl, she was nice, but I couldn't help feeling a little jealous.

We both said that we wanted to grow our hair out, but when mine is still the same length (do to haircuts to remove damage), but hers is at least waist length now, maybe more.

I haven't seen her in person in a long time, but I've seen pictures on Facebook. I'm hoping when we go camping in a few weeks that she won't be there!

sharonluvscats
August 1st, 2012, 02:13 PM
I'm glad that this thread got such a good response!! It's definitely good to know that I'm not the only one who feels this way, but y'all also brought some good points up- God willing, this will be the last time my hair is at this length, and since it hasn't been any longer since I was a little girl, I have no clue about how much more difficult it will be to manage once it's longer. I also forget that for everyone who's jealous of someone else's hair, there's undoubtedly someone jealous of our hair too. I think the health is also very important- not very many people have both long and healthy hair, so I'm glad that LHC has taught me so much!

Exactly! I had an Indian friend in middle school would had that lovely thick dark hair. She hated it and always kept it super short. She used to be so jealous of my thinner and blonder hair. I always thought she was nuts because I was totally jealous of her hair.

sharonluvscats
August 1st, 2012, 02:16 PM
My family goes camping with the boy I like's family, and last year before I got there him and his friends became aquainted with this other girl, she was nice, but I couldn't help feeling a little jealous.

We both said that we wanted to grow our hair out, but when mine is still the same length (do to haircuts to remove damage), but hers is at least waist length now, maybe more.

I haven't seen her in person in a long time, but I've seen pictures on Facebook. I'm hoping when we go camping in a few weeks that she won't be there!

Awh :( jealousy is always worse when there is a guy involved. It sucks even more when the girl is nice. I hope for your sake that she isn't there. *crosses fingers*

henné
August 1st, 2012, 02:20 PM
I think it's absolutely human nature to want what we don't have. I used to be jealous of so many things ... hair, skin, body, clothes, car, education, money ... this and that and now I'm starting to finally realize that it's all bs. It's really strange, but in the past few months (or so) I just simply stopped comparing myself to others like I used to do ALL THE DAMN TIME. Now, when I see beautiful long hair, it makes me feel good, I feel motivated (like somebody else mentioned) and I feel happy that one day I will reach that goal and then I'll be even happier :D It sounds cheesy, I know, but what the heck :D

Btw, OP, your hair looks super healthy and it's obviously growing, so be proud of your mane as there are so many girls out there that are envying their bums off when they see your hair ;)

Calaelen
August 1st, 2012, 03:17 PM
I don't see anyone with longer hair than mine, in real life, and when I see the ladies and gents here with knee length or longer, I am always in awe, and inspired, but I've not been jealous.

Hairtoys though?? Now that's a different story, I get green over some of the treasures I see here, though I have SO many of my own.

akilina
August 1st, 2012, 03:24 PM
This is really pathetic: I get jealous if my bf looks at another woman, or says a chick on TV is hot. I look at her and see she has LONG hair :(!
It pathetically makes me REALLY jealous. It makes me feel like if I looked like that person that he would like me more or something :/ really sad. Or if I was thin and had long hair, he would show me more attention.
I can not get my hair to BSL no matter what I do, or don't do. I am getting to the point that having hair that is not quite to BSL is making me extremely self conscious and I feel freaking unattractive!

MiamiPineapple
August 1st, 2012, 04:25 PM

Looking at your pics, I am pretty jealous of your hair!:D

jacqueline101
August 1st, 2012, 05:06 PM
I get hair envy. I still think mine is more of an inspiration to grow and do better.

PrettyFit
August 1st, 2012, 05:36 PM
This is really pathetic: I get jealous if my bf looks at another woman, or says a chick on TV is hot. I look at her and see she has LONG hair :(!
It pathetically makes me REALLY jealous. It makes me feel like if I looked like that person that he would like me more or something :/ really sad. Or if I was thin and had long hair, he would show me more attention.
I can not get my hair to BSL no matter what I do, or don't do. I am getting to the point that having hair that is not quite to BSL is making me extremely self conscious and I feel freaking unattractive!

Hey your boyfriend obviously likes YOU right? Even if your hair was longer when you met, he probably likes more things about you than your hair or your weight. Here's a thought, he may like you just the way you are! :D

I am currently obsessing over my hair too -- trying to get past APL. I know that my hubby likes long hair, but he things my hair is long already:shrug:. I think the journey is long and hard enough without making yourself feel badly about it. Love your hair! I believe that my follicles can hear everything that my brain is thinking. Love your follicles and strands!

Whenever I see thick black hair longer than BSL, it motivates me to have beautiful thick long hair too! I saw a Indian woman in Sams the other day with a BEAUTIFUL mid thigh length braid with curls on the end. I closed my eyes and envisioned myself with (my version of) that hair on my head. The power of positive thinking! :)

Asprettyasme
August 1st, 2012, 06:24 PM
#error

#An error occurred.

turtlelover
August 1st, 2012, 07:46 PM
For the most part, I don't get jealous of people's hair, but tonight at a fair, I saw the most GORGEOUS, super super thick shiny type 1C black hair on an Indian girl, and it was just sooooo beautiful that I definitely felt jealous, but more in an admiring sort of way than in a bitter sort of way! ;)

akilina
August 1st, 2012, 07:58 PM
Hey your boyfriend obviously likes YOU right? Even if your hair was longer when you met, he probably likes more things about you than your hair or your weight. Here's a thought, he may like you just the way you are! :D

I am currently obsessing over my hair too -- trying to get past APL. I know that my hubby likes long hair, but he things my hair is long already:shrug:. I think the journey is long and hard enough without making yourself feel badly about it. Love your hair! I believe that my follicles can hear everything that my brain is thinking. Love your follicles and strands!

Whenever I see thick black hair longer than BSL, it motivates me to have beautiful thick long hair too! I saw a Indian woman in Sams the other day with a BEAUTIFUL mid thigh length braid with curls on the end. I closed my eyes and envisioned myself with (my version of) that hair on my head. The power of positive thinking! :)
I totally agree with you on positive thinking!! :D It is sort of like positive self talk of willing your hair to grow long. Or any sort of positive self talk and the law of attraction. I believe in things like that. Obviously it does not work for people who do not think that way though or believe in it. I guess I need to send extra love to the follicles! lol.
I guess a more positive thing was last night in the shower he gouged his finger into my back and said "wow your hair is getting long! Its right HERE *POKE*"That felt kind of nice to hear. :]

InTheCity
August 1st, 2012, 08:06 PM
I have a severe case of hair envy for anyone with thick, wavy hair. My thin, wavy hair is so stringy, sparse and pathetic.

So yup, right there with ya!

4C4rly4
August 1st, 2012, 08:07 PM
I get jealous too :/
I just remind myself that I will eventually reach my goal, and I just need to be patient. Those people with long hair also had short hair before, and they had to be patient to get to their goal as well.
Another thing I tell myself is to be happy that at least I'm more than half way toward my goal. There are people who are just now starting to grow their hair from a pixie cut, so they definitely have it harder than I do!

Kristin
August 1st, 2012, 08:26 PM
I don't think I have hair envy often. Truth be told, I'm pretty happy with the head of hair I was given. I do look at other women and think, "Cute bangs! I wonder of I should try those..." or, "Having a shag was fun. I'll do that again someday." I also notice extremely thick hair (as in, braid-wider-than-neck thickness), but I just admire it. And then think about how it would make me insane to have hair THAT thick.

BrightEyes
August 1st, 2012, 09:09 PM
I often get jealous when I see thick blonde hair. I would love thicker hair, just an inch thicker and I would be tickled pink.

PixxieStix
August 1st, 2012, 09:41 PM
Oh, I don't know if I've been jealous, but I certainly do get envious sometimes!

But then I think "well, if I keep taking good care of my hair and be patient, some day I'll look at a picture of myself or see my hair in the mirror and go "WOW! Now that's the hair I've dreamed about!" " I don't particularly want anyone to envy my hair, but I'd love to have enviable hair some day, if that makes sense? :)

MestizoGypsy
August 1st, 2012, 09:58 PM
Thank you to all of you who have said sweet things about my hair, I'm flattered!! (And still don't know how to reply to multiple things at once, haha.) You all have made such great points, and I love hearing everybody's stories of times they've felt this way. It really is encouraging to me!

elbow chic
August 1st, 2012, 10:29 PM
No, not anymore. I used to really envy people with straight black hair, like your typical Japanese or Filipina girl would have. But at some point I realized I would look pretty ridiculous with that kind of hair. :) And that the hair I was born with is actually really fun and lovely in its own right.

So now I am content to admire but not covet. I love the hair I have and would not trade it for anyone else's.

Saw a girl at the pool the other day with awesome, awesome 3cish springlets, and it was fun to admire her, too.

Really, in general there is not much about anyone else's life I covet anymore. Other people have more money, more education, certain talents, nicer houses, look better in a bathing suit, what-have-you -- but I don't feel any envy. My life is my own, and the people in it are wonderful and while there are areas I want to improve in, it's been years since I've experienced jealousy. Not sure when that switch flipped.

HadessThera
August 2nd, 2012, 08:01 AM
I am always envious of long healthy hair but it also motivates me to keep with growing it out and not fall into despair and resort to cutting it short again

PinkyCat
August 2nd, 2012, 08:17 AM
Yes envious. But inspired at the same time. Recently I saw a woman with my same hair type, color & everything - but it was about a foot longer. Instant envy & inspiration.

amanda_the_tall
August 2nd, 2012, 08:20 AM
i had hair envy this morning!
i woke up to the sound of the blowfrier, my sister's friend had spent the night and was blowfrying her super thick, probably 2b/2c waist length hair. then proceeded to straighten it three times in a row. her hair is SO shiny and long, it made me jealous as i looked at my relatively short, skinny sleep braid. :(

amanda_the_tall
August 2nd, 2012, 08:21 AM
sorry, computer is being dumb, double post!

Ticky
August 2nd, 2012, 08:26 AM
It isn't really jealousy. I am satisfied with mine and know that constantly asking myself ''Why isn't my hair naturally curly/blonde/this/that?'' will not change anything.

I do, however, slightly envy those people who found a (non permanent, unnatural) red hair dye in the shade I would like to try having for a couple of months. I can go out and color mine, but I have a feeling that it wouldn't turn out the way I wanted. Plus, I am too lazy for root touch ups.

WaitingSoLong
August 2nd, 2012, 08:43 AM
Ok there's no way I am reading all the replies!

I am no longer envious of length, I think that stopped when I hit TBL and now everywhere I go I am usually the one with the longest hair.

But I am drawn to other blonde heads and find the green-eyes opening when I see their thickness. I don't really want REALLY thick hair, but sometimes my hair seems to scrawny next to others.

Also I am envious of certain hairtypes, the kind that lay perfect no matter what they do to it (no cowlicks).

Othala
August 2nd, 2012, 09:58 AM
I'm totally jealous of those Indian women who have below classic length hair with a thick hemline. I admire them and I do covet their hair but not in a malicious way. I just adore and want what they naturally have.

Silken
August 2nd, 2012, 10:11 AM
Not jealous, but definitely motivated. I see a gorgeous head of waist lenth, thick, shiny hair and immediately think "My hair is healthy. Only a few inches more and I'll be at her level". And then what I feel is kinship. Kinda cool. :)

heidi w.
August 2nd, 2012, 10:47 AM
In my mind being jealous of someone over anything means you have to be willing to put up with all they put up with to have what they have. Most people don't really want to go through all that, though. Be happy with what you've got and make the most of it.

heidi w.

heidi w.
August 2nd, 2012, 10:49 AM
Ok there's no way I am reading all the replies!

I am no longer envious of length, I think that stopped when I hit TBL and now everywhere I go I am usually the one with the longest hair.

But I am drawn to other blonde heads and find the green-eyes opening when I see their thickness. I don't really want REALLY thick hair, but sometimes my hair seems to scrawny next to others.

Also I am envious of certain hairtypes, the kind that lay perfect no matter what they do to it (no cowlicks).

Trust me, go to a long hair gathering and you won't be the longest head of hair there. Even me, I don't have the longest hair at long hair gatherings.....I'm short too.

heidi w.

Purdy Bear
August 2nd, 2012, 11:52 AM
I think I'm in a slightly different boat from most, due to the Alopecia Univarlis I have very little hair on my body, so I get MAJOR hair jealousy. I also get annoyed with nasty people having good hair :)

I also try and work out how long my hair would be if I had started growing it from a shaved head.

I do have a tendency to go a bit potty when I see a fine head of hair and even worse when its my dream length of tail bone.

Curly Crone
August 2nd, 2012, 04:50 PM
As I got older I got over the jealousy of other people, I got over it by pretending that if I could trade for their hair (or whatever the coveted item) I also had to take their problems too. Since I have manageable life problems the trade was never worth it. I still admire others though, especially red hair. I think I was a redhead in a previous life. :p

TazM
August 2nd, 2012, 05:11 PM
I have hair jealousy of you! I would love my hair to be that long..*sigh* but it made me think of something my mum used to say which was 'there's always going to be someone out there better off and worse off than you, so just be happy with what you have' so I guess that implies to hair too :)

millyaulait
August 3rd, 2012, 02:45 AM
Not exactly jealousy, sometimes just a bit of sadness.

Like, 'Oh, why can't my hair be that pretty? :('

Tisiloves
August 3rd, 2012, 03:19 AM
Nope, length will come in time (although you migh want to ask me again in a few years if it turns out I'm terminal at hip or something) and as much as I'd love wave/curl I wouldn't know what to do with them.

Venefica
August 3rd, 2012, 04:31 AM
I generally do not get jealous over others hair, I often wish to have someone else's length or other quality and as such admiring their hair, but I generally do not get jealous in the form of the negative emotion of others hair. There are other things in life i get insanely jealous over though.

MestizoGypsy
August 4th, 2012, 09:56 PM
It really is the length I'm jealous of, as I don't know the condition of their hair in comparison to mine. As far as texture goes, I've finally realized that as beautiful as curly hair is, my straight hair is so much easier for me to manage.

AutumnLocks
August 6th, 2012, 06:06 AM
I never get jealous. I love to see a beautiful head of long heathy hair. I admire it and wonder what she does to maintain it. There would only be one thing that would provoke jealousy in me and that would have to do wth my DH...:o)

ankh222
September 25th, 2012, 04:04 AM
i too get jealous from seeing long hair,but it motivates me to get my hair to that length.

Freki
September 25th, 2012, 04:18 AM
I don't get jealous over length, because I know I can get there with a little time. I do get jealous over thickness though! Which is silly, because I often get compliments on the thickness of my own hair. But with a 3.5" ponytail, I often long for another inch or so of thickness... ah, to be an iii would be the only thing I would change about my hair.

My jealousy is usually over things I can't have, which is very unproductive and something I'm working on.

RubyTuesday
September 25th, 2012, 04:34 AM
At the moment I get extreme hair jealousy :)

There is a woman who lives across the road from me and she has waist length brown hair that falls in lovely curls and waves. It looks really thick.

Every time I see her I seethe with jealousy :D

Also magazines set me off so I am trying to avoid them at the moment.

I watched the last episode of Parade's End on Friday on BBC 2 and was lusting after Sylvia's long wavy red hair (played by Rebecca Hall - so it must have been extensions or a wig but it looked beautiful) and instead of following the story I was imagining having her hair and how it would make me feel.

Stupid short hair. Grow grow grow. Grrrrrr. :mad:

MonaLisa
September 25th, 2012, 04:39 AM
No honestly, I enjoy seeing beautiful hair...no negative feelings possible :)

Avital88
September 25th, 2012, 05:13 AM
just dont give up and let it grow, i was always jealous of long haired girls, now i have it and others are jealous.. i makes me feel akward, everyone can grow long hair just be patient and take good care of it

elthea
September 25th, 2012, 05:47 AM
I'm not jealous of length on other women, but my best friend's wife has the thickest, glossiest, pin-straight, rich chestnut brown hair. She has the hair I have always fantasized about having. My hair is pretty thin, and a lot thinner than it used to be, so I'm always green over people with really thick hair.

melusine963
September 25th, 2012, 10:41 AM

Well said. :)

rock007junkie
September 25th, 2012, 11:14 AM
I get jealous but the good kind. It's very motivating actually.

petcrazy18
October 23rd, 2014, 04:35 PM
I did go through a phase of major jealousy (like real bad) but now its just inspiration, because I know I'll get there one day. I have learned to love my hair the way it is

fišrildi
October 23rd, 2014, 05:06 PM
Jealousy... not exactly. When I see a mane that is "more beautiful" than mine, I deeply admire it. In my case there's no negative feelings at all, on the contrary, it's a motivating feeling, as some people here have already stated.

Chocowalnut
October 23rd, 2014, 09:46 PM
I get jealous sometimes. A lot less than I used to. Mainly it is b/c of a hair type I can't really have, like thick anime bangs, or just thickness in general, or really cute curls. I also get jealous when I see like pink hair or blue or something like that b/c I love crazy colored hair and I miss having it!

Fufu
October 24th, 2014, 04:16 AM
Envious~ for me...

I don't wanna be jealous because it sorta feel negative for me

ZeppHead
October 24th, 2014, 06:00 AM
I used to get jealous alot but that was when my hair was shoulder length and shorter. I think jealousy is fine and actually quite normal as long as it doesn't like effect the rest of your day! Focus on a positive hair quality of your own when you catch yourself getting jealous. Hopefully that takes your mind off the seemingly long road ahead. One day that girl was in your shoes too remember. No need to get jealous of someone who has something that is completely attainable to you with a little patience.

allierat
October 24th, 2014, 06:18 AM
I get hair jealously quite often as my daughter has a lovely long, thick head of hair (though she seems determined to heat damage it!) but then I remember that she must have gotten her awesome hair genes from me!

MadPirateBippy
November 6th, 2014, 08:39 PM
Add me to the not jealous about length but envious about thickness list- I'd never want to deprive anyone else of their awesomeness, but I have friends who's fairytailed ends in a braid are thicker than my ponytail.

My brother actually has the hair I want, it's my color, my waves but thicker- le sigh!

Avis
November 6th, 2014, 09:23 PM
*sigh* I wish I could say no, but I live in an area where it's pretty common to see waist+ hair on ladies and occasionally men. I think I mostly get jealous because I think to myself "if I had just taken better care of it, or cut off the damage, I could probably be around hip length by now". Oh well. I'm growing now. It'll get there. :rolleyes:

ghost
November 6th, 2014, 09:41 PM
Lately I get that when I see people with lovely, thick blunt ends. I have to remind myself that I'll have that, too, with time and microtrims.

Sharysa
November 6th, 2014, 09:51 PM
I get jealous of SO. MANY. PEOPLE. I'm Filipino-American and I have really thick, matte-black, borderline-wavy hair.

This is not as nice as it sounds. At least not when I'm having a bad hair day.

-Red/blonde hair. I envy people with lighter hair in general because NOTHING SHOWS UP ON BLACK HAIR, and it often doesn't photograph well. My pictures here are usually the third or fourth try. Styling black hair is very limited because as much as I'd like to do so, I can't spend hours tweaking every awesome Pinterest style simply to make it work on me. I envy people with naturally red/blonde hair in particular because 1) red is my favorite color, and 2) I love all the little variations of color in the two spectrums.

-Proper waves/curls. My hair is technically around 2a/b if it's just washed and set with braid-waves, but practically it's more 1c/2a because my waves very easily relax. Often into frizz. I wish my waves were more resilient, because I really want the 2b part to last longer.

-Straight hair. I live in California where there's a very high Asian population. BIG SPOILER: A lot of us straighten our hair. Heck, I straightened my hair throughout high school. We have the "STRAIGHT HAIR" cultural ideal drilled into us even more than Caucasian women. Naturally straight hair is just so luscious and sleek, plus it's easier to handle than wavy hair. It makes me fight the urge to bust out the hair-dryer again.

-Shiny hair. My hair is black, but it's not a shiny blue-black like the (East) Asian ideal. It's just normal "black with a little bit of brown/red tones," and eighty-percent of Asians have it. I like my hair COLOR, but seeing someone with naturally shiny hair? Especially shiny BLACK hair? I WANT IT.

Avis
November 6th, 2014, 10:25 PM
-Red/blonde hair. I envy people with lighter hair in general because NOTHING SHOWS UP ON BLACK HAIR, and it often doesn't photograph well. My pictures here are usually the third or fourth try. Styling black hair is very limited because as much as I'd like to do so, I can't spend hours tweaking every awesome Pinterest style simply to make it work on me. I envy people with naturally red/blonde hair in particular because 1) red is my favorite color, and 2) I love all the little variations of color in the two spectrums.

I totally feel you on this one. I also have black hair, and though mine is a little shiny, you can never see things like accent braids in my hair unless you're standing right in from of me. I never bother with things like accent braids. And photographing it is sooo hard. If the lighting isn't just right, it looks flat black like a silhouette or shadow.

The silver lining for me is that I don't have to worry about the color of my hair clashing with my clothes or hair toys. Which is good since I'm not all that great at putting colors together.

lunasea
November 7th, 2014, 12:00 AM
I envy those with thick Botticelli curls. Red, thick Botticelli curls make me want to crawl in a hole and hide my see-through hair. I guess that's more sadness than envy. I'm growing now but have never in my life had even BSL hair. I may be able to get that with patience but I'm not going to get the Botticelli curls until the day after I get my pet unicorn. Unless, of course, I go buy a wig :/

Dragonfly
November 7th, 2014, 12:10 AM
Hi! I am not new to the forum but lost my info and it's been many years since my login. I am so glad to be back, but more on that later.

I don't get irrationally jealous of others' hair so much as my former hair. I have had shorter hair for about 5 years now. I've tried it all and am now growing it out. I need to measure and update my profile, but it's just under shoulder length with a longer angle toward the front.

I feel sick when I look at my older photos. My hair was so gorgeous, I don't know what I was thinking. I have since vowed not to touch it in the way of any major cuts, etc. I am growing this stuff out for good!

And as far as jealousy of others hair, I do get jealous, just not irrationally. It actually inspires me to work harder with mine! :)

Beezle
November 7th, 2014, 01:29 AM
I envy those with thick Botticelli curls. Red, thick Botticelli curls make me want to crawl in a hole and hide my see-through hair. I guess that's more sadness than envy. I'm growing now but have never in my life had even BSL hair. I may be able to get that with patience but I'm not going to get the Botticelli curls until the day after I get my pet unicorn. Unless, of course, I go buy a wig :/
I agree with every word, Lunasea. Love the botticelli curls and am filled with a sad envy when I see such a gorgeous head of hair. I am 61 and growing my skinny hair for the first time in my life. Not a good age to wear scraped back hair! But still I persevere. Even though the growth is soooo slow that it sometimes feels it's going backward, it's all new territory for me and I'm glad to be even at this length (but if the hair fairy is listening, some extra thickness would be very welcome thank you)

MungoMania
November 7th, 2014, 02:24 AM
I agree with every word, Lunasea. Love the botticelli curls and am filled with a sad envy when I see such a gorgeous head of hair. I am 61 and growing my skinny hair for the first time in my life. Not a good age to wear scraped back hair! But still I persevere. Even though the growth is soooo slow that it sometimes feels it's going backward, it's all new territory for me and I'm glad to be even at this length (but if the hair fairy is listening, some extra thickness would be very welcome thank you)

Not true. Mature women can look awesome with scraped back hair if it's done right like fashioista Carolina Herrera. I too agree with Lunasea about the Botticelli babes. I also envy the PreRaphaelite models. And, I wish for my own classic length back in good health. I don't get jealous or I'd never be able to stand it here with all these gorgeous heads of hair. I'm challenged, I adjust and I learn. And, I hope my hair gets the message.

Begemot
November 7th, 2014, 03:02 AM
For me it's actually more being sad, like lunasea said. I get sad when I see people with lovely thick and luscious hair and at the same time I'm upset about my own hair shedding a lot and starting to look and feel thin. Of course the thoughts of "why can't my hair be like that, why is my hair like this" cross my mind. But very rarely I see people irl with hair that makes me irrationally jealous just for being so awesome. I guess I have really high standards? ;) Best medicine is to just focus on improving ones own hair, routines, styles etc. And to remember that every type of hair has it admirers and someone out there would love to have your hair.

Lunna
November 7th, 2014, 03:11 AM
Hi everyone! It's my first post :) I'm very happy that I found this forum. My hair got longer and more beautiful since I start to read your advices. Thank you all.
I'm not jealous of people with long hair. I admire their hair because I know it's not easy to reach the goal and have so beautiful and so long hair. They are my inspiration too.

ChloeDharma
November 7th, 2014, 04:21 AM
Oh yes, I certainly do! After getting seriously ill in 2007 I lost a lot of hair, I had always taken my hair for granted before then and never really worried about thickness. My previous issue had been focused on growing out chemical damage. These days my thickness has improved but it is not back to it's previous thickness but my main issue is my anagen phase seems to have shortened. I'm dealing with it and for the most part am ok however my sister has absolutely gorgeous thick fast growing curly hair. Her hair strands are much thicker and stronger than mine too. We met up a couple of months ago for a family thing and she had her hair down, as I saw her in the distance from behind I had a really strong reaction. Initially it was "OMG that looks STUNNING!" then it became quite jealous. The thing that gets me about it is we share parents and it seems so unfair that she got those genetics (on top of that she is jaw droppingly stunning in the face too). That said, for the last few years she struggled with hair loss as she had an undiagnosed thyroid problem. She was heat styling and bleaching her hair so initially we thought that might be it, her hair thinned, grew slowly and wouldn't grow long which was shocking for someone who usually kept her hair between waist and hip length. Since taking medication for her thyroid her hair has grown back so I am really pleased for her, I don't mean to sound like I am not.

I do generally find myself wishing my hair would keep thickness as it grows down instead of thinning but I do take comfort in knowing that my hair must have the ability to grow nicely as it has done it before. On the plus side my hair can look very shiny and feel very soft as it's fine so I should count my blessings.

ChloeDharma
November 7th, 2014, 04:26 AM
For me it's actually more being sad, like lunasea said. I get sad when I see people with lovely thick and luscious hair and at the same time I'm upset about my own hair shedding a lot and starting to look and feel thin. Of course the thoughts of "why can't my hair be like that, why is my hair like this" cross my mind. But very rarely I see people irl with hair that makes me irrationally jealous just for being so awesome. I guess I have really high standards? ;) Best medicine is to just focus on improving ones own hair, routines, styles etc. And to remember that every type of hair has it admirers and someone out there would love to have your hair.

I haven't read all of this thread only the first page so didn't see your post until after I posted. Anyway my brief point is that from your avatar photo I think your hair looks lovely! Such a gorgeous colour and it looks like it falls very nicely. You should be proud of how nice your hair looks.

I suspect my comment would apply to many people posting in this thread as there are so many heads of lovely hair on this site though many seem to not realise how nice their hair is going by some posts I see.

GetMeToWaist
November 7th, 2014, 05:07 AM
I envy people with ii hair, or slightly thinner and finer hair. It just looks so much easier to wear down, and fine hair looks silkier. I do occasionally envy those with straight or curly hair too. Wavy hair can be annoying.

lapushka
November 7th, 2014, 06:19 AM
I envy people with ii hair, or slightly thinner and finer hair. It just looks so much easier to wear down, and fine hair looks silkier. I do occasionally envy those with straight or curly hair too. Wavy hair can be annoying.

Kinda the same for me. I sometimes wished, especially when growing towards waist, that I had ii hair, because it took forever for me to be able to wear an updo (until waist, waist/hip, thereabouts). Well, we all want what we can't have, don't we? :lol:

arr
November 7th, 2014, 10:33 AM
The only thing I really envy is ashy hair color. My dream would be a medium cool brown with all the natural highlights and variations that this type of hair seems to have. My hair is naturally dark brown and I color the roots with medium ash brown to keep the grays at bay. As it grows and lightens, it turns brassy orange. i hate this so much. I hate any red or orange tints in my own hair. I have to use semi or Demi ash toner in my lengths to keep things under control but it never gives me what I want. Anyway, I have to stay away from any of the ashy brown or blondette threads because it just makes it worse for me.

lunasea
November 7th, 2014, 10:35 AM
http://www.unicornjorge.com/Gallery13/wolfgang_grasse_(c)_spring.jpg

Here I am with my Botticelli curls and unicorn. Apparently I'm a lot younger too. Well, as long as I'm having a fantasy.....

Hatsune Miku
November 7th, 2014, 10:37 AM
Ohhhhhhh yeah. I get crazy jealous! But only about length. Not many people around here have Classic or beyond hair, but when I see someone who does, I get envious.

One example can be taken straight out of my school. There was a girl who graduated last year with longer hair than me, so THIS year, I thought I was gonna have the longest in the school. However, now there's a freshman with nearly knee length hair! A little disappointing for me, but I do admire the new girl's hair. It's beautiful! And besides, at least I still have the longest hair in my class :)

MINAKO
November 7th, 2014, 01:57 PM
Simply by looking at it i would say no, because i can achieve exactly the type of hair that i want, texture, lenght, thickness, color, its all fine, but it takes me a few additional steps compared to someone who us a natural 1a and jetblack. But i like doing my hair most of the time, so i dont see a reason to envy the head of another, appreciating yes, jealous no!

nakima
November 7th, 2014, 03:15 PM
I tend to get a little jelous myself when I see really long beautiful hair that I wish were on my head ha! then I think about how long it must have taken them to grow and all the hard work they put into it and I usually end up complimenting them on it and try to get a few tips ha! it makes me feel better and I also catch people looking at me sometimes with that envious look and it makes me feel good and I know i'm doing something right lol!