PDA

View Full Version : Hairfall from "overconditioning"

Rufflebutt
July 31st, 2012, 09:18 PM
I just read a hair article today claiming that you shouldn't use too much conditioner on your hair or else it will make your hair fall out. I don't know how credible this is, since I use tons of conditioner on my hair and it's pretty thick.

It also claimed that you need to switch brands of hair products because your hair would become "immune". I don't understand how this could happen either.

Any thoughts?

spirals
July 31st, 2012, 09:23 PM
That immunity thing is an old idea. I seem to have much less shedding since I got off the shampoo and rinse-out conditioner. It's only been 2 weeks, though.

sun-kissed
July 31st, 2012, 09:24 PM
On hair becoming immune to products, I assume that what they are referring to is cones vs. no cones. Someone will use a product for a few weeks, and then their hair will start to get heavy from the cones. They switch, possibly getting a cone-less product, and clean their hair of cones over the next few weeks. Their hair starts to miss the cone-induced silkiness, they switch back, and the cycle continues.

That's a total wild guess. :D

Tisiloves
July 31st, 2012, 09:24 PM
I know some people have scalps that are reactive to conditioner and can't have it touch their scalp without a shed resulting.

amanda_the_tall
July 31st, 2012, 09:26 PM
your hair can't become 'immune'. it isn't 'alive'. (not meaning to be rude/snarky, i just think it's hilarious when i hear so many people saying this). however, you can have buildup after using very coating products after a while, which will make them less effective. it usually can be remedied with a clarifying wash, then you can go back to whatever you were doing. as for hair fall... i'm not sure. it depends on what you're using, and how you're using it. maybe if you globbed it on and didn't rinse it well enough it *might* cause clogged pores/ follicles, and the follicle might suffocate and have to shed the hair, but i can't remember if this is myth, or if it's only in extreme circumstances. it also depends on the person, some people can use conditioner on their scalp, and some can't. if you don't have excessive shedding from your normal routine you should be fine. even then, if you're massaging your scalp you're going to loosen up hairs that were already ready to shed, so it could be the conditioner, or it could be the manipulation of the hair that makes it come out. i'm no expert, and there are way more hair savvy people here than me :)

eta: most of these ladies have beat me to it :D

ariesfairies
July 31st, 2012, 09:29 PM
Only ever heard of the second one, but then when the say immune.. immune to what? It sounds like the recommendation one would make about diet, and how you're supposed to change it up to remain properly functioning. And thats for living organs. Not strands of hair..

I wish they were specific on the claim, because the only things I can imagine the hair being immune to is having a good level of moisture.. which can be fixed with a deep conditioning, oiling or the reverse, and then you are fine to go back to the product all you like? And if it were the case of shampoo, I don't see the hair getting immune to the cleansing properties? The products we use are only on the surface, not like the chemistry of it, it doesn't have anti-bacterials or its own immune system with white blood cells or anything..

I think it's just a silly piece of advice. The person who came up with probably holds too much in changing products because they didn't "listen to their hair" so when they had a problem, they switched products and conveniently it fixed it. Could be different levels of pH or whatever but I know many people here swear by a certain hair product, never change and then when they face up with a problem like dry ends or whatever, they solve it with a deep condish treatment or something and back to usual.

Bunnysaur
July 31st, 2012, 09:41 PM
I know some people have scalps that are reactive to conditioner and can't have it touch their scalp without a shed resulting.

Ooh, ooh, pick me, pick me!!!
I can't use conditioner at all, it turned out to be the culprit in my massive shed.

As for the "immunity" thing, I agree that it's a load of rubbish.

earthnut
July 31st, 2012, 10:21 PM
Some people have allergies or sensitivities to certain ingredients, but even then, there are so many formulations out there, there's something for everyone. Conditioner in general won't make your hair fall out any more than any other product.

Both myths.

wendylai
August 1st, 2012, 03:40 AM
Bunnysaur!

Interesting! I think Im experienceing shedding from conditioning too! What do you do if you cant use condish?

FrannyG
August 1st, 2012, 03:52 AM
I have CO'd for years and my hair is the thickest its ever been. My only big shed was what I now know was a pre-menopausal shed but that hair is all growing back now.

As for hair needing a change from certain products, it's my opinion that it's bunk. Often after using a certain conditioner for a while, I may notice that suddenly my hair is looking dull. To me, that's just a signal that I need to clarify, and once I do, all is well again.

CurlyMopTop
August 1st, 2012, 04:22 AM
I've experienced major shedding from trying to go exclusively CO. What I've found is that my scalp likes a little shampoo once or twice a week. Any other time I wash I still use CO. I just have to be careful (paying attention to my sensitive scalp for reactions). The idea of becoming immune to hair products is illogical. I have read on these boards that some people prefer to switch up there products to help avoid build-up on their hair. I do this as well.

Tota
August 1st, 2012, 04:24 AM
I'm CO-ing since the beginning of this year and my hair is thicker and stronger than ever. I do use natural conditioners without any kind of silicones, alcohols, parabens or sulphates.

That other "fact" I heard a lot from my ex-stylists who tried to sell me a different product everytime I went to a salon. Not gonna fool me again ;)

Amber_Maiden
August 1st, 2012, 06:07 AM
Have never had that happen to me. I suppose if you use a lot of oil on your scalp it could happen...

Theobroma
August 1st, 2012, 06:21 AM

I'm one of those people. In spades. But I can put as much conditioner as I like on my length and not have a problem.

mamaherrera
August 1st, 2012, 07:01 PM
I have a question about conditioner. my scalp doesn't seem to like conditioner. But when I apply my conditioner to length only, I do try to get it at least 2 inches down from roots, and not any higher, but then I roll it up and pin it up on both sides while I bathe. So I know probably some conditioner gets on my scalp or close to it since I have it pinned up against my head and then when I rinse some must go down and get on the scalp. How do you stay 100% free of conditioner on the scalp?

KwaveT
August 1st, 2012, 07:23 PM
Me personally I apply conditioner on the scalp but I keep it off of the hair line at top of my head. Conditioner may contribute some to the shedding but I think mine is my medication inducing shedding. No amount of MSM has stopped my shedding. I am using 4800 mg daily now. It has to be my seizure medication.

PixxieStix
August 1st, 2012, 08:47 PM
I always giggle when I'm told I need to switch my products up because I've found what works for me and so many people just don't (or can't/haven't yet). My hair didn't shed more when I tried CO'ing, nor does it fall out when I occasionally do a regular S&C every few months for the novelty of it. I'm sure certain conditioners can have unfavorable results on certain people's heads, but the wrong anything can irritate your scalp.

MiamiPineapple
August 1st, 2012, 08:50 PM
I saw a youtube video with a woman claiming you should never switch products or it will make your hair fall out lol

I personally think that your hair sheds at a rate normal for you no matter what depending on season. The only reason this may change is if there is an underlying medical condition.

lmfbs
August 1st, 2012, 09:08 PM
I use about 300ml (10 ounces, according to google) of conditioner every week. My hair is very tangly and I'm in the pool 4-5 times a week, so it's important I'm all conditionery for protection.

The idea that I might become 'immune' is just silly. Build up from coney/waxy products, maybe, but that can easily be fixed with a quick clarify!