PDA

View Full Version : hair routine advice

mamaherrera
July 31st, 2012, 07:45 PM
I have 2c hair and so it doesn't look very well unless I can get it completely wet and then style. because even if I just mist it, I can't comb through it to do per say a bun. I go to the gym at night and sweat, but if I wash/rinse whatever at night, it's a nappy mess in the morning. I feel bad to sleep with dirty hair though as well. But this washing/wetting the hair/scalp twice a day is taking a toll on my scalp. Any ideas/suggestions to getting a better routine that will work not only for me, but my scalp as well??

petali
July 31st, 2012, 07:47 PM
Do you have 2c or 3c hair? On your post, it says you have 2c hair. On your profile, it says you have 3c hair.

mamaherrera
July 31st, 2012, 07:50 PM
oops I'll change that. Please still help me though, it's 2c

petali
July 31st, 2012, 08:44 PM
Have you ever tried dry shampoo?

mamaherrera
July 31st, 2012, 08:49 PM
but dry shampoo has sulfates, no???

Natalia
July 31st, 2012, 08:53 PM
but dry shampoo has sulfates, no???

dry shampoo is generally starch based corn, arrowroot, potato, ect... but people use things like flour or cocoa powder too. have yet to see a dry shampoo that has sulphates

mamaherrera
July 31st, 2012, 09:00 PM
wow I didn't know that. I'll have to check into that. So do you suggest I do that at night, and then wash in the morning, or what do you think would be best?? It might be a bi drying, since starches are drying, but if you could explain more as to how you would use them and how they are used, that would be great, thanks!

petali
August 1st, 2012, 02:48 PM
Pretty much the starches absorb the oils. When my hair feels greasy, I thoroughly dab some on my roots then comb out my hair. It makes my hair stiff, though.

petali
August 1st, 2012, 02:49 PM
By the way, I use baking powder :P it's the only thing I have right now.

dawnss
August 1st, 2012, 03:12 PM
How do you wear your hair while working out? I think that may contribute to it being tangled. Do you use conditioner often? What kind of styling products do you use, do they contribute to your hair being tangled? Do you apply leave in conditioner, to your hair? I know that dry shampoo is convenient, but have you tried to co wash your hair, I tend to find that it helps with tangles. How do you wear your hair while sleeping?

DancingQueen
August 1st, 2012, 03:45 PM
It sounds like we have just about the same hair type. My hair can be incredibly frizzy, especially after a workout.

I think frizz-fighting shampoos and conditioners would work very well for your hair, and maybe add a deep conditioner every once in a while. Also, let your hair air dry. I don't know if you already do this, but i find that it makes my hair a lot nicer. I wash my hair every 3 days, but I don't work out as much, so you might need to every second day or so. I wouldn't recommend washing every day, as curly hair tend to be dry, and break of if washed too often.

For combing, I find that it really helps to divide the hair in top and bottom layer. Then I put just a tiny bit of oil on my fingertips, and try to finger comb it through, before proceeding with my wide tooth comb. Then you do the same with the top layer.

Don't use too heavy oils; I find that this one works amazing: http://www.palacinka.com/2012/07/drugstore-buy-of-week-garnier-fructis.html

Hope it helps, feel free to pm me if I didn't explain it good enough :)

mamaherrera
August 1st, 2012, 06:50 PM
I wear it up in a pony tail or an octopus clip. My thing is it isn't tangly, at all, lbut when I tend to wet it at night then I have to sleep with wet hair. Then I get up, it's not curly and cute, so then I feel the need to completely soak it again so that I can do my bang, get my clumps going, etc. ANd all that water on my scalp makes my scalp sore. I guess some nights, I let the sweat dry, sleep, and in the morning just do my thing. It's just the thought that grosses me out.

novemberfoxtrot
August 1st, 2012, 08:55 PM
I wear it up in a pony tail or an octopus clip. My thing is it isn't tangly, at all, lbut when I tend to wet it at night then I have to sleep with wet hair. Then I get up, it's not curly and cute, so then I feel the need to completely soak it again so that I can do my bang, get my clumps going, etc. ANd all that water on my scalp makes my scalp sore. I guess some nights, I let the sweat dry, sleep, and in the morning just do my thing. It's just the thought that grosses me out.

What about plopping it over night?

mamaherrera
August 1st, 2012, 09:04 PM
I would plop, but my scalp gets sore having some of my hair go in opposite growth direction. My thing that I don't understand is when going to the gym, why is a bun better than a ponytail?? As with a pony tail, you have to have the hair in a ponytail to begin a bun, you could technically get bald spots from buns as well, plus if you have to use bobby pins more stress on the hair. I like braids for the gym, but with curly hair, it's hard to separate hair into sections when it's dry without breaking, as you sometimes grab hair from other clumps and as you separate clumps, you get break/tangles. I like the octopus clip because there's no manipulation to put it up: you just kind of do a french twist and put the octopus clip on top. But for running, then I need something more firm. Even buns I think would bounce too much and with all that weight pulling on that spot on myhair, I get pain from buns if they're loose and pull/bounce with movement. Anyone else have this and what hairstyles for exercise do you use?