PDA

View Full Version : Henna catastrophe

annah
July 31st, 2012, 06:12 PM
I am such a dingbat sometimes, I swear.

I pulled my henna out of the freezer. Trying to hurry up the process, I decided to move it into a ziplock to soak in warm water in the sink. I apparently didn't get the seal completely sealed. I walked into the kitchen and discovered it had exploded in the sink. AHHH!!!It didn't look like much water had gotten into the bag, but apparently it had. Not wanting to totally waste the henna, I stuck it on my head anyway. It's super drippy and runny. Driving me absolutely bonkers with the drips itching my scalp. I thankfully found a brown towel to sit here with, since it's nearly pouring down my face.

How long must the henna be left on to get some type of result? I don't think I can stand to sit here for a full 2 hours or more, but I'm going to try as long as possible before I can't stand the itching/dripping anymore.

Feel free to laugh at me- I'll find it pretty funny as soon as this mess is off my head.

Tisiloves
July 31st, 2012, 06:18 PM
Squiggyflop only leaves hers on for 30mins, but she only kicks up her red a touch, for a decent colour change as close to 2hrs as you can manage would be good. Try putting a fabric headband on to catch the drips.

Henna loves heat, try chucking a towel over top and blowfrying to get a faster reaction.

browneyedsusan
July 31st, 2012, 06:22 PM
Oh my goodness! You poor thing! If it's any consolation, I would have scraped that henna out of the sink and slopped it on my hair, no matter how drippy it was!

I hope you have some great results after all that trouble you went through!

lapushka
July 31st, 2012, 06:25 PM
Back when I used to still henna, I left it on for about half an hour too. It still went bright red!

annah
July 31st, 2012, 06:41 PM
Thank goodness a 1/2 hour can do something! I was hoping for a slight change. My hair is naturally very dark, so I never expected much from henna, was just hoping for some redish tones in the sunlight. This is my 3rd application, so hopefully it will give me at least a little brightening.

Note I'm sitting here with the blowdryer in one hand, and the towel around me nearly drenched. (glad I didn't throw away the blowdryer, I don't think I've used it at all in 3 years or more)

I'm sure going to be attractive with orange stripes down my face/neck for the next few days.:rolleyes:

ladylowtide
July 31st, 2012, 06:47 PM
I have medium ash brown hair that is resistant to color changes. I found that on my first full head applications I needed 6+ hours to get any kind of change (slight orangey tint rather). But with my current mix using a splash of red wine vinegar and all the rest of the added liquid being strong brewed rooibos tea, I have mush faster results, and am I able to color my roots and refresh the length in a meager 3.5 hours. So IDK good luck!

Tisiloves
July 31st, 2012, 06:57 PM
Moisturise then exfoliate, it's the way I find quickest to get henna marks off.

annah
August 1st, 2012, 08:27 AM
Morning report:

I did manage almost an hour before I couldn't stand it anymore. I don't think the color brightened at all, but my roots seem to be the same color as the rest, so that's good at least. And I still seem to have gotten some conditioning- my hair is shiny, soft and smooth today.

So I apparently still need to go buy more henna to do another full head treatment, but since my roots are colored, I will wait for a month or so. So thankful it didn't turn out to be a total loss!

I need to go spend a few hours exfoliating my stripes. LOL. They aren't as bad as I imagined, but it's still a bit much to be out in public with. Thankfully I don't have anywhere I need to go today.