PDA

View Full Version : Is experimentation and impulsiveness your downfall?

akilina
July 31st, 2012, 02:45 PM
Geez... It sure is mine!!

I lately, am getting very jealous of you wonderful ladies who have decided to grow out your natural color, or have always kept it natural. Especially the natural blondes like me :)
You are such an inspiration to me!!!!.

I am at a really bad stand point here desperately seeking a change...The sick part? I just changed my hair shy of 3 months ago and started using henna again. Trying to take pride in being "chemical dye free" Bleh.

I am having an incredible desire to get two boxes of color oops, use them, do a soap cap, and go from there on my red henna head. I would like to see at least a few inches of my natural color before its too late :P
I know it would be a brassy mess, yet I am currently a stay at home damsel in distress, so no public embarrassment there.
My hair is probably naturally a level 7 or 8 sort of ashy light blond. Its weird, pearly, and almost...see through??

Edit: I wanted to share this picture with you guys. It is a picture of my brother probably 15 or 16 years ago...This is EXACTLY what my hair will look like if I let it grow out natural. His is the same color as mine, but here it had natural highlighting from being in the sun so much. On its own without the sun highlighting it over time, its the color like amanda seyfrieds in the photo down lower:

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k5/OLLLLY/21847_100723379959377_1416881_n.jpg

If I were to do this, I will probably wait a month. Or not. Being my impulsive self.

I hate to be redundant here, sorry guys, but what would you honestly do? Put yourself in my impulsive shoes.

I feel that my hair is in pretty good shape. I also feel that it would be better in the long run, to be able to just grow out my hair, and say I have virgin hair :] That would be the ultimate "healthy" hair for me. A clean slate to let it just grow.
The dumb part is that I will probably ask my BF what he thinks first too. I hate that I make beauty decisions based on what my man thinks. He likes me with black hair, but I am tired of black hair.

I knew what I was going into when I started foolin' around with good ole henna. They warned me about him!!!
He is just becoming such high maintenance. Chemical dye sounds desirable again! Back to my old ways?? Sitting with mud on my head for 6 hours is becoming ridiculous. I am also running out of henna. Henna and chemical dye cost the same for me. 8 dollars, same cost and two uses out of the bag/tube. Chemical dye is ready for me on hand too. I just have to go to the supply store. I have to wait around on henna though for a good 2 weeks, sometimes more.

Other questions....
Do you think it is bad to go back and forth too much from henna to chemical?

If I am sounding crazy for wanting to do this, can someone PLEASE set me straight here?

Perhaps talk some sense into me?? I don't know that my hairs health would be as good if I did this process.
D:

Sorry for my random little blurb ladies and (few) gents. :)

Thanks, you guys are always such a help :D

http://blog.lockandmane.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/amanda-seyfried-letterman-07.jpg I believe that my hair is exactly like hers. Ugh I really love her hair. I have been researching and apparently she doesn't even color it. Not sure about that though...maybe someone else knows :]

akilina
July 31st, 2012, 02:54 PM
Another thing that makes me want my natural hair is....the way I see it, obviously I was created and have a specific genetic makeup to have this skin tone, this eye color, and this hair color.
I have never seen someone with their natural color not look right. I think that it is sort of "made for us"

Hmmmm...

lmfbs
July 31st, 2012, 03:07 PM
I guess it depends on your priorities. Do you want long hair more than you want to enjoy dying your hair now?

I want long hair, but I also like playing with my hair and changing the colour/cut. For me, having long hair is more important than having the colour hair I want right now, and I'm very aware that the ends on my hair now are still going to be there in 5 years, and they'll take the brunt of anything I'm doing to it.

I wouldn't say don't do what you want with you hair, but I WOULD invoke the 2 month rule where you sit on the change you want for 2 months. If you're still wanting to do it, go for it and don't feel guilty.

lapushka
July 31st, 2012, 03:07 PM
I do think it's bad to switch too much between chemical and henna, but I also think you'd better ColorOops, bleach, and dye once more, and get it over with, so you can be dye-free from then on out. You sound like you really don't want to continue using henna, as the upkeep is too high.

akilina
July 31st, 2012, 03:26 PM
Those are good ideas. I think I should sit on the 2 month rule. I guess that would be the best idea. In that time, perhaps I should not touch up my roots at all and see how I truly feel about them. That is...if I can handle having roots. I usually can not.

I am not sure if I want to enjoy my hair now, or later. It seems that I am unhappy with my hair in general. I have never in my life hit BSL. So, that being, sometimes I almost feel like whats the point? I wonder if I can even get past BSL. Or to it for that matter.

My hair is one big transition. I am growing out an undercut on the right side, Trying to grow out short laters, and trying to thicken my ends. I do care about my hair, but its almost like I dont because it already sucks.

Perhaps...I should just work on fading the color for now with heavy oiling (works for me).
I like the "get it over with" part though :D
I'll stay calm and wait it out, and TRY not to do anything drastic on a whim :]

lmfbs
July 31st, 2012, 03:32 PM
Do you think you would like your hair more if it was longer? Maybe you need to practice benign neglect and not touch it for a few months?

akilina
July 31st, 2012, 03:36 PM
Do you think you would like your hair more if it was longer? Maybe you need to practice benign neglect and not touch it for a few months?
Definitely. So would you suggest then, to just possibly leave it how it is and wear it up constantly for maybe a month, or two and see how I feel? I know this doesn't fall under the "neglect" really but would you leave oil on it constantly? And try to stretch my washes?
To me neglect is like wash, condition, wear up. Nothing other or special so I am not sure if oiling falls under that category.

lmfbs
July 31st, 2012, 03:41 PM
Definitely. So would you suggest then, to just possibly leave it how it is and wear it up constantly for maybe a month, or two and see how I feel? I know this doesn't fall under the "neglect" really but would you leave oil on it constantly? And try to stretch my washes?
To me neglect is like wash, condition, wear up. Nothing other or special so I am not sure if oiling falls under that category.

I couldn't oil constantly, I'd go crazy. But for you, maybe neglect should be considered no cuts, no dye. Set yourself a goal, maybe 2 months, and if you manage to not cut or dye for that period, do something special as a treat for yourself (that doesn't involve your hair!). Then reevaluate and see how you're feeling about things.

akilina
July 31st, 2012, 04:35 PM
I couldn't oil constantly, I'd go crazy. But for you, maybe neglect should be considered no cuts, no dye. Set yourself a goal, maybe 2 months, and if you manage to not cut or dye for that period, do something special as a treat for yourself (that doesn't involve your hair!). Then reevaluate and see how you're feeling about things.
It really does feel funky. Especially since I have bangs and face framing. I will start with a month, then extend it another :) It helps me to break things up. 2 months feels like sooo long, yet 2 months is nothing in terms of hairgrowth.

jillosity
July 31st, 2012, 04:49 PM
Did you use indigo at any point? You mentioned your hair was black right now. I attempted henndigo removal with color oops and Effasol (it's essentially bleach) and had quite disappointing results.

Whatever you do, I'd recommend waiting at least a few weeks before actually doing it, but I know how hard it can be to wait!

swearnsue
July 31st, 2012, 04:50 PM
You have dark hair from chems and henna and your natural hair is a blonde. You could let the roots grow in and make some streaks like lowlights on your roots with temp. dye. Meanwhile you could micro trim your ends since you said they were layers, damaged and uneven. So if you trim and grow out roots, you could be all blonde in about a year and a half or two years with a full and thick hemline.

Deborah
July 31st, 2012, 05:04 PM
I don't know where this "two month" rule came from. On this board it was always "two weeks." I think two months is too long to really dislike your hair.

It seems that the real question is whether you want your natural color, or whether you want to continue dying or hennaing to wear it dark. Until you really decide this, it may be best to do nothing.

From your photo It is MY opinion that you would look prettier with your natural hair color, but the issue is whether YOU think that. If you want it natural you are again faced with just two questions. (a) Do you bleach it to what you believe your natural color is, then just leave it alone to grow in? or (b) Do you try some chemical to fade the color a little, then live with it vastly two-toned for the next few years?

This is dependent on your own tolerance for two-toned hair. Some of the ladies are content with two colors for a few years, others absolutely hate it. Which are you? You'll find your answer there.

Best of luck! I hope you find a way to be happy with your hair! :flower:

akilina
July 31st, 2012, 05:13 PM
Did you use indigo at any point? You mentioned your hair was black right now. I attempted henndigo removal with color oops and Effasol (it's essentially bleach) and had quite disappointing results.

Whatever you do, I'd recommend waiting at least a few weeks before actually doing it, but I know how hard it can be to wait!
Naw, I mentioned that my boyfriend likes black hair. I currently am a solid henna head. No indigo.

lmfbs
July 31st, 2012, 05:14 PM
I don't know where this "two month" rule came from. On this board it was always "two weeks." I think two months is too long to really dislike your hair.

It seems that the real question is whether you want your natural color, or whether you want to continue dying or hennaing to wear it dark. Until you really decide this, it may be best to do nothing.

From your photo It is MY opinion that you would look prettier with your natural hair color, but the issue is whether YOU think that. If you want it natural you are again faced with just two questions. (a) Do you bleach it to what you believe your natural color is, then just leave it alone to grow in? or (b) Do you try some chemical to fade the color a little, then live with it vastly two-toned for the next few years?

This is dependent on your own tolerance for two-toned hair. Some of the ladies are content with two colors for a few years, others absolutely hate it. Which are you? You'll find your answer there.

The 2 month rule came from what I do with my hair, not from this board or any other. The reason I use 2 months is because 2 weeks is literally nothing in hair world, but in 2 months you can start to see some growth and changes.

OP has said she's always been unhappy with her hair, so I don't think 2 months is a huge amount of more time to be unhappy with it while she's deciding what she'll do.

Tia2010
July 31st, 2012, 06:03 PM
It all really depends on if virgin hair is your goal and the amount of damage you're willing to live with as it grows.

You can leave it be and let the henna grow out and keep trimming till your all virgin. But that would be years of two tone hair.

You can color ops and dye or even bleach and dye..either way your going to get some damage from it but atleast it would be close to your natural color while you grow and trim off the damage.

Or you could let it grow out natural an inch or two and get a short pixie then your at virgin to start and grow from there. But that would only work if your not adverse to short hair...which alot of people are :)

It really all comes down to what your willing to live with.

akilina
July 31st, 2012, 06:24 PM

I definitely feel that 2 whole months is a little intimidating. Maybe a good idea for me would be to see how I feel again in two weeks. See if I still feel the same way about wanting natural hair.
My plan would be to use color oops a few times, do a bleach soap cap, then match it as close as possible. I wouldn't have ridiculously two toned hair :D I would match it closely, so as it grew out it would still look as best as it can.

akilina
July 31st, 2012, 06:29 PM
The 2 month rule came from what I do with my hair, not from this board or any other. The reason I use 2 months is because 2 weeks is literally nothing in hair world, but in 2 months you can start to see some growth and changes.

OP has said she's always been unhappy with her hair, so I don't think 2 months is a huge amount of more time to be unhappy with it while she's deciding what she'll do.
I definitely agree that however much time an individual wants to wait is perfectly acceptable :D I don't think theres any rule based from any board...
I definitely will just take it every few weeks. Probably after two, then another two. I think what would be best would be to gauge a month from my last henna. So that will be august 17th.

akilina
July 31st, 2012, 06:38 PM
You have dark hair from chems and henna and your natural hair is a blonde. You could let the roots grow in and make some streaks like lowlights on your roots with temp. dye. Meanwhile you could micro trim your ends since you said they were layers, damaged and uneven. So if you trim and grow out roots, you could be all blonde in about a year and a half or two years with a full and thick hemline.
I am impulsive so anything "long term" is too much to wrap my brain around. I do agree with letting the roots grow in a bit. Low lights would be good to blend something two toned, but I think letting roots grow in, so theres even more of my natural color to go off of would be a good start. I think I would probably go the route of removing color and trying to match it :]

It all really depends on if virgin hair is your goal and the amount of damage you're willing to live with as it grows.

You can leave it be and let the henna grow out and keep trimming till your all virgin. But that would be years of two tone hair.

You can color ops and dye or even bleach and dye..either way your going to get some damage from it but atleast it would be close to your natural color while you grow and trim off the damage.

Or you could let it grow out natural an inch or two and get a short pixie then your at virgin to start and grow from there. But that would only work if your not adverse to short hair...which alot of people are :)

It really all comes down to what your willing to live with.
Oh yes, the damage will suck. I feel like i want to get it over with though. I know that I may have to lose an inch and a half. And thats okay. Hopefully i can get away with minimum. Color oops gets along with my hair just fine. Not sure if I actually want to use any sorts of bleach in a soap cap. That might be outts.
I also don't mind spreading this process out over 3 weeks or so.
Gees...talking about it makes me feel like doing it tomorrow!!!
Maybe ultimately for now I would end up with sort of an ombre effect.

I am not sure if I am willing to try honey lightening. I mean...maybe once just for fun. But to me, it seems like a very very lengthy process, for tiny results.

And one last thing- I wish short hair was an option! It definitely is not :(

Mesmerise
July 31st, 2012, 07:18 PM
Another thing that makes me want my natural hair is....the way I see it, obviously I was created and have a specific genetic makeup to have this skin tone, this eye color, and this hair color.
I have never seen someone with their natural color not look right. I think that it is sort of "made for us"

Hmmmm...

Well a lot of people say this, but I disagree ;). I don't think everyone's hair colour matches them (not saying yours doesn't, mind you)... I think hair colour/skin colour and all that is just like pulling stuff out of a genetic hat and getting whatever!

Think of it this way, if genetics got it right all the time, we'd all be hot ;). There wouldn't be unattractive people, because everyone's features would suit them perfectly.

I've also seen posts from a number of other people on the forum that they really don't suit their natural hair colour!

However, at the same time... I think having virgin hair is something worthwhile to shoot for. I'm not about to shoot for it NOW cause I don't really wanna look 15+ years older :rolleyes:... I like the concept of being renegray, I just don't really think the outcome would do me any favours ;). Maybe in another 15 years I'll shave the lot off and start again! (I'm a henna head, so it's not THAT easy to strip out, and I'm pretty sure I couldn't strip it off and have "natural looking" hair at the end of it...).

It's been a loooooong time since I had virgin hair, however, and I DO sort of regret that I didn't have it when I had the chance (before I started prematurely graying). My natural hair colour isn't horrible. I think the last time I had it was when I chopped my hair really short at 21 to remove black hair dye... and then a few months later I just re-dyed anyway :rolleyes:. I think it's nice to be able to appreciate your natural colour while you've got it!!

akilina
July 31st, 2012, 09:10 PM
Well a lot of people say this, but I disagree ;). I don't think everyone's hair colour matches them (not saying yours doesn't, mind you)... I think hair colour/skin colour and all that is just like pulling stuff out of a genetic hat and getting whatever!

Think of it this way, if genetics got it right all the time, we'd all be hot ;). There wouldn't be unattractive people, because everyone's features would suit them perfectly.

I've also seen posts from a number of other people on the forum that they really don't suit their natural hair colour!

However, at the same time... I think having virgin hair is something worthwhile to shoot for. I'm not about to shoot for it NOW cause I don't really wanna look 15+ years older :rolleyes:... I like the concept of being renegray, I just don't really think the outcome would do me any favours ;). Maybe in another 15 years I'll shave the lot off and start again! (I'm a henna head, so it's not THAT easy to strip out, and I'm pretty sure I couldn't strip it off and have "natural looking" hair at the end of it...).

It's been a loooooong time since I had virgin hair, however, and I DO sort of regret that I didn't have it when I had the chance (before I started prematurely graying). My natural hair colour isn't horrible. I think the last time I had it was when I chopped my hair really short at 21 to remove black hair dye... and then a few months later I just re-dyed anyway :rolleyes:. I think it's nice to be able to appreciate your natural colour while you've got it!!
It is definitely an interesting concept either way!
I haven't even seen my natural color truly since probably the 7th grade. I am sure it has changed. I remembered my hair being nasty and frizzy and dull. Obviously I knew nothing about hair care at that time lol. Whats cool about the most recent henna applications, is that I know color oops will get rid of it, and I will have probably 1 1/2 or 2 inches of virgin color :]
I do want to see if before I go grey, although I can not wait for grey hair :D

jojo89
July 31st, 2012, 09:19 PM
You are preaching to the choir! I've been known to be impulsive, but as I get older, I get wiser :) Your natural sounds beautifullll!! I love Amanda Seyfred too; so pretty. You said your hair is "pearly" which is a desirable tone. I say this cuz I color my hair with Wella 12P and it's my fav color on me so far. The "p" part of it cuts out brassy tones. I say wait it out a lil longer and if you still feel the same in a month or so do something that won't be that damaging. If you still feel like that, I don't see anythng wrong with bleaching or coloroopsing. You'll have to do it eventually if you want to grow out your natural. Then color it as close to your natural as you can so hopefully roots blend.

jojo89
July 31st, 2012, 09:24 PM
another thing, just keep thinking about how you want long healthy hair so bad. Remind yourself with pictures when you get an urge. Personally, i'm with you-my hair has never been longer than BSL and I wonder if it is my terminal length but I always damage my hair before I can find out and have to cut it off lol I work with a girl who has really long hair and it keeps me motivated to be patient and treat my hair nice :) From your pic, it looks like you have blue eyes and light skin which undoubtedly suits blonde hair. I do like th black on ya too. I wish I could rock black hair or just look exotic lol

akilina
July 31st, 2012, 10:48 PM
another thing, just keep thinking about how you want long healthy hair so bad. Remind yourself with pictures when you get an urge. Personally, i'm with you-my hair has never been longer than BSL and I wonder if it is my terminal length but I always damage my hair before I can find out and have to cut it off lol I work with a girl who has really long hair and it keeps me motivated to be patient and treat my hair nice :) From your pic, it looks like you have blue eyes and light skin which undoubtedly suits blonde hair. I do like th black on ya too. I wish I could rock black hair or just look exotic lol
So, your hair is super super white blond then? I used to use the Wella Koleston 12/89 to tone a few times in school just for fun as an experiment. In pictures, I appear to be pretty pale but usually its the silly little effects I do to them. I remove hue from the pics sometimes. My skin is very very tan, and my face is pretty..normalish. We blend lol. I have never had a tan face though.

I have fears that natural colored hair would be too boring. Just because I am used to such extreme harsh colors.

I feel dumb for sort of "asking for approval" from my BF. He said he likes my hair how it is. But I can do what I want.

jojo89
July 31st, 2012, 11:00 PM
No, my hair is a light blonde, but def. not white blonde. I use the 12P to touch up roots so I don't have to bleach. When it is freshly colored, it is a pure blonde, but gets slightlyyy brassy within a couple weeks so it's kinda golden but not overpowering yellow or orange. When I tone I use T10-ivory princess. Same here with the tan, I get tan on my body bu not so much on my face. The way you desribe it doesn't sound boring but you could always color the underneath if you get bored and when it grows out it won't be as obvious. My underneath is a light brown with a slight red tint and I let my roots get like 3 inches long before refreshing the color. Don't feel dumb, it is normal to get advice from the boyfran :) I do it all the time. he's like "I DON'T CARE-WHATEVER YOU DECIDE WILL BE PRETTY!" Hahahaha

akilina
July 31st, 2012, 11:36 PM
No, my hair is a light blonde, but def. not white blonde. I use the 12P to touch up roots so I don't have to bleach. When it is freshly colored, it is a pure blonde, but gets slightlyyy brassy within a couple weeks so it's kinda golden but not overpowering yellow or orange. When I tone I use T10-ivory princess. Same here with the tan, I get tan on my body bu not so much on my face. The way you desribe it doesn't sound boring but you could always color the underneath if you get bored and when it grows out it won't be as obvious. My underneath is a light brown with a slight red tint and I let my roots get like 3 inches long before refreshing the color. Don't feel dumb, it is normal to get advice from the boyfran :) I do it all the time. he's like "I DON'T CARE-WHATEVER YOU DECIDE WILL BE PRETTY!" Hahahaha
Ahh I see :]
Ugh I can't stand how guys act like that. Its like OKAY. Please, tell me if it will be UGLY? or PRETTY? That simple. Bahhh!!!! I thought guys were the simple ones!! :D
That is a good idea...to maybe find a color I like that will go with my natural color as well as a shadow. That would also help me with helping my length look a little thicker. Dark hair helps it appear that I have more.

I seriously hate feeling indecisive. It makes me want to go buy color oops tomorrow. But, I do not have money. So I guess in the mean time I could do really really heavy oiling with heavy oils like coconut and EVOO. :] Perhaps just neglect it for a while and wear it up. Maybe a couple DTs here and there. They seem to always make some of my henna rinse out. ;]

lundmir
July 31st, 2012, 11:46 PM
I actually went through something similar, but I had to dye darker to match my natural black hair. I waited 3 long months, but I was really tired of roots! I can't stand them.

I'm also used to bold or bright colors, and sometimes feel like natural is boring. But hey, virgin hair does have its advantages.

Whatever you decide, I hope you're satisfied with. I know I am.

bunzfan
August 1st, 2012, 06:57 AM
I am like you that i'm very impulsive with things like length been growing out layers for years but in the last 6 months or so i tell myself i will cut another half inch and it will look thicker but, then get discouraged that it isn't growing like other speeding past me :lol:

I actually have problems not trimming each month and i have just hid the scissors from myself.

jojo89
August 1st, 2012, 09:45 AM
akilina- my hair looks thicker when it's dark too. Yes to oiling in the meantime. I've been trying to neglect mine as well by wearing it in messy buns. I am using monistat on my scalp every couple days at night then in the morning I put baby powder in it to disguise greasiness and throw it up.

afu
August 1st, 2012, 09:53 AM
If it were me, I would ditch the commercial dye option and choose between natural and henna (but thats just personal opionion). i love your natural colour, I think it would look beautiful on you :) My hair is just a bit darker than I like it, so I highlight it with bleach which i know is bad (although I do pre oil with coconut which makes such a huge difference) but for me i don't think i would be happy with my hair any darker. Go for what you think will make you happy in terms of looks, because even if something is 'good for you' or whatever you need to be happy with what it looks like 9if that makes sense), otherwise you will just want another change in no time

akilina
August 1st, 2012, 10:28 AM
I actually went through something similar, but I had to dye darker to match my natural black hair. I waited 3 long months, but I was really tired of roots! I can't stand them.

I'm also used to bold or bright colors, and sometimes feel like natural is boring. But hey, virgin hair does have its advantages.

Whatever you decide, I hope you're satisfied with. I know I am.
That is good to know you turned out happy with your choice! :]

I am like you that i'm very impulsive with things like length been growing out layers for years but in the last 6 months or so i tell myself i will cut another half inch and it will look thicker but, then get discouraged that it isn't growing like other speeding past me :lol:

I actually have problems not trimming each month and i have just hid the scissors from myself.
Oh I am the same with scissors. It doesn't help that I am incredibly comfortable with cutting my own hair because I can do it very well on other people XD I do hate that I am a measley half incher though! This last month I only grew 1/4 of an inch :doh:

akilina- my hair looks thicker when it's dark too. Yes to oiling in the meantime. I've been trying to neglect mine as well by wearing it in messy buns. I am using monistat on my scalp every couple days at night then in the morning I put baby powder in it to disguise greasiness and throw it up.
I am using monistat too now. I don't know if its bad to do but I am getting impulsive and applying every day because I wash everyday.

If it were me, I would ditch the commercial dye option and choose between natural and henna (but thats just personal opionion). i love your natural colour, I think it would look beautiful on you :) My hair is just a bit darker than I like it, so I highlight it with bleach which i know is bad (although I do pre oil with coconut which makes such a huge difference) but for me i don't think i would be happy with my hair any darker. Go for what you think will make you happy in terms of looks, because even if something is 'good for you' or whatever you need to be happy with what it looks like 9if that makes sense), otherwise you will just want another change in no time
Thanks :D I just love the idea of natural color. It ca be so dimensional and shiny! Not to mention really healthy and smooth looking. The only thing for me is that having two toned hair like that is not an option :/ I wish it was but it just isn't. It would be embarrassing to me when conversation comes up and I say "oh I am a licensed cosmetologist" then they see the roots and go "uhhhh???:confused: " Although, I wont have a job for a while longer. I have to retest :/ I need to find a job in the meantime that won't care about my hair. And I wont tell anyone my real profession :D

Mya
August 1st, 2012, 11:08 AM
I also feel that it would be better in the long run, to be able to just grow out my hair, and say I have virgin hair :] That would be the ultimate "healthy" hair for me. A clean slate to let it just grow.
I would focus on this.
Also, keeping up with a unnatural color is just too much of a commitment. Not to mention that your hair is going to be damaged anyway on the long run.
I was pretty impulsive too, and I'm not as lucky as you: my brown hair always looked terribly boring to me. At least you are blonde! I mean, lighter colors are more eye catching.

akilina
August 1st, 2012, 11:19 AM
I would focus on this.
Also, keeping up with a unnatural color is just too much of a commitment. Not to mention that your hair is going to be damaged anyway on the long run.
I was pretty impulsive too, and I'm not as lucky as you: my brown hair always looked terribly boring to me. At least you are blonde! I mean, lighter colors are more eye catching.
I am adding a photo in the OP with a picture of EXACTLY what my hair will look like if I let it grow out natural with sunlight. Its a photo of my brother...16 years ago or so.

akilina
August 1st, 2012, 12:25 PM
Ugh, I keep looking at the pictures of my brothers hair. At one point his hair was down to his BUM!!! He got rid of it all, then went bald shortly after!

The pictures of him are seriously making me desire natural hair more and more. He always tries to tell me to just grow out my natural color every time I change it in disappointment haha! Its like I understand now finally out of the blue.

I have no clue where we got our blond. My mom and dad are dark brown. WE have different moms and idk what color her hair was....he definitely got his hair from my dads side though. Balding and all ;)

Tia2010
August 1st, 2012, 12:44 PM
akilina,

If that blond color hair grew naturally out of my head I would be ecstatic! It's very pretty. I don't think I would have ever went dark if that was my natural color. And I love dark hair! My SIL has hair like that and she insist on dying it! :confused:

Your post is almost making me want to color oops my hair just to see what my real color is ( It's been dark for years now) but then I would hate it and end up dying it dark again, so there really is no point :D

akilina
August 1st, 2012, 12:58 PM
akilina,

If that blond color hair grew naturally out of my head I would be ecstatic! It's very pretty. I don't think I would have ever went dark if that was my natural color. And I love dark hair! My SIL has hair like that and she insist on dying it! :confused:

Your post is almost making me want to color oops my hair just to see what my real color is ( It's been dark for years now) but then I would hate it and end up dying it dark again, so there really is no point :D
I'm seeing the light. Its like..what was I thinking the last 9 years!! Ive been dying my hair for probably 10 years now. I wish I would have listened all the times someone told me to just grow out my natural color. I did a little test strip of bleach just for fun :) Its still processing. I won't be bleaching my hair. I am just bored an curious. The thing about my hair is the natural color is not under all this. I have bleached it and dyed it dark many times over, so I will never see natural under all that ever again.

aspartame gram
August 1st, 2012, 08:49 PM
I'm growing out my natural, and after having dyed it red and had it highlighted in the past, I can say that my color does wash me out. I have dark blonde hair, and I've been seriously considering either dying it all one blonde color or getting highlights.

I can definitely understand growing out your natural and feeling boring. I'm in the saaaaame boat. Whatever you plan on doing, remember that you can use coconut oil to help with the damage. I think it's very possible to have dyed hair and still keep it healthy.

Absolutely best of luck to you and let us know how it turns out! :D

akilina
August 1st, 2012, 08:56 PM
I'm growing out my natural, and after having dyed it red and had it highlighted in the past, I can say that my color does wash me out. I have dark blonde hair, and I've been seriously considering either dying it all one blonde color or getting highlights.

I can definitely understand growing out your natural and feeling boring. I'm in the saaaaame boat. Whatever you plan on doing, remember that you can use coconut oil to help with the damage. I think it's very possible to have dyed hair and still keep it healthy.

Absolutely best of luck to you and let us know how it turns out! :D
Thank for your reply. Luckily, I guess I could still express my personality though my makeup, and my clothing, and display of my personality LOL. Not sure what to expect when I actually go to do this though. I am waiting it out for a few weeks to see still :] Although, my mind says "GO buy the color oopsies!!!"

SerinaDaith
August 1st, 2012, 09:06 PM
As a former and now reformed dyeaholic I would love to say get your length as natural as possible then grow baby grow! You obviously know that you will be doing damage so the risks are there, I also saw someone somewhere here having a coconut oil pre bleach treatment that MAY help to defray your damage but I honestly could not for the life of me tell you who that was, I know her siggy pic because she is platinum long haired and it is beautiful! I chopped old bleach damage right before coming here so I do feel for you.

SerinaDaith
August 1st, 2012, 09:40 PM
Oh and look up hair chalking! It looks on the outside like a great way to add all sorts of color without having to dye and it washes right out, it even shows up on dark hair! It can be drying but I guess there is no such thing as a free lunch. I would try it the day before a good SMT or whatever deep conditioning treatment you like.

akilina
August 1st, 2012, 10:52 PM
As a former and now reformed dyeaholic I would love to say get your length as natural as possible then grow baby grow! You obviously know that you will be doing damage so the risks are there, I also saw someone somewhere here having a coconut oil pre bleach treatment that MAY help to defray your damage but I honestly could not for the life of me tell you who that was, I know her siggy pic because she is platinum long haired and it is beautiful! I chopped old bleach damage right before coming here so I do feel for you.
Yay!! I wont be bleaching but I will use color oops, maybe a shampoo bleach cap though. Chalking sounds awesome! That would actually be a really good idea if I was feeling bored I could do some sort of really cool ombre or colors fading into others. I am contemplating bleaching peekaboos here and there once I am all natural, way down the line so I feel more exciting.
Now that I think about it... It would be a really good idea to pre oil before even doing something like a bleach cap. :) Thanks!

jojo89
August 2nd, 2012, 09:02 AM
Are you experiencing more shedding than normal with the Monistat? I feel like I've been losing more hair with it...

Of the Fae
August 2nd, 2012, 09:05 AM
I know the feeling. My hair is over processed because of impulsive decisions to change its colour.
I've decided, for the third time to stick with henna...
It would be so much wavier if I'd lay off it, because it is naturally wavy and thick.

palaeoqueen
August 2nd, 2012, 09:56 AM
That certainly used to be my downfall! I think you should give it a go, just take it one week at a time and see how you feel. I started growing out my natural colour about a year ago. The first few months were the hardest and I could only get through by thinking of it week by week. Now it's a lot easier to think of as a long term project and the urge to re-dye has finally passed. I think your natural colour will look beautiful, good luck!

SpinDance
August 2nd, 2012, 10:07 AM
Just a couple of comments. It sounds like you have had many years of fun dying and otherwise trying different things with your hair but are now wanting to go back to your natural color, let it shine instead. There are certainly advantages to this both economically and to your health, but it comes down to what you really want, and where you decide the cost/benefit analysis makes most sense for you.

From the photo of your brother, your natural hair color will be lovely. I happen to be of the opinion that a persons natural coloration looks best on them, provided they wear/use colors that are appropriate to it. As an example, using the seasonal color analysis I'm a Winter. This explains why I look like I'm dead if I wear camel color. :/

Growing out roots is a pain. I had my hair dyed for 3.5 years, which was probably about 3 years too long for me, personally. That said, once the roots get to a certain length it stops being as obvious. Your hair isn't that long, so it wouldn't take you that long to grow it out. Again a personal example, it will be another 3 years for mine to finish growing out, and it's been 3 years already. I wear my hair up most of the time, and I know what my goal is, so I'm OK with that. Others choose to cut it off and regrow. You'll decide what is right for you.

The 2 week rule is a good one, and if you can't decide at that time, well, go another 2 weeks. By the time you decide just what you really want you'll be that much farther along regardless.

Best of luck!

akilina
August 2nd, 2012, 11:44 AM
Are you experiencing more shedding than normal with the Monistat? I feel like I've been losing more hair with it...
I do not believe so. Could it be attributed to anything else in your life at all??
I don't notice anything because I am only using monistat where my under cut on the right side of my head was.

Here is a photo of my hair when I was having it bleached all the time and shaved constantly. It is such a pain to grow because it was cut into a 7 shape.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k5/OLLLLY/189969_197957670238385_7964280_n.jpg

jojo89
August 2nd, 2012, 12:47 PM
Oh yeah that would be a tricky one to grow out. Very ballsy might I add ;) I love the shaved look near the temples.
The only thing I can think of is I waited an extra day to wash so I shed more, plus the massaging..maybe I am not gentle enough. My hair kept catching on my nail polish last night lol

akilina
August 2nd, 2012, 01:09 PM
Oh yeah that would be a tricky one to grow out. Very ballsy might I add ;) I love the shaved look near the temples.
The only thing I can think of is I waited an extra day to wash so I shed more, plus the massaging..maybe I am not gentle enough. My hair kept catching on my nail polish last night lol
At first, it was just a square, and not as high as in this pic, then I got the idea to go a little higher, and bring the point out in the back wider. It was really fun while it lasted. I knew from the beginning growing it out would suck, it was just a matter of when. I had it for a year and a half or more. I also had the other side shaved, which is welllllll grown out by now and normal again.My sig is the undercut now :]

As for the monistat... I have learned to be really gentle. I section off in really really thin strips, and apply directly to the scalp with my finger. I hate to sound cliche but I think it is actually working for me.

jojo89
August 2nd, 2012, 01:14 PM
That's wonderfullll :) It doesn't sound cliche at all. I really hope it works for me too. I feel like it is my only hope ha =p

akilina
August 3rd, 2012, 11:04 PM
Sooooo...the impulsive side of Molly just drove to Walgreens and got 2 boxes of Color Oops and some cone free shampoo+conditioner.

I was going to color oops tonight...but I am holding back my impulsiveness at the moment. I might aim for tomorrow, or maybe even talk myself out of it for another day. Right now I have a nice DT on my head instead, and clarified prior (all cone free)...Just in case in the morning, after I mow the lawn I decide to go for the gusto.
If not, all the better. I guess the more and more I push it back, the better off I am until I either 1. wait it out and let more henna fade out with heavy oiling, or
2. completely talk myself out of it and take the 21 dollars worth of color oops back to thee store.
Now that I think of it- I have to at least push it back until tuesday probably. I have a meeting with a temporary job agency and I wouldn't want to have super crazy bright orange hair! This is all for the better. I found the Vitamin C lightening pretty drying...if not really damaging :( Hoping it is not damage...

jojo89
August 4th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Yeahhh def wait til after the meeting. I always do those things on Fridays that way if it messes up I have 2 days to fix it plus a chance to give my hair a break. You remind me so much of myself. Out of everyone I know, I'm the most impulsive when it comes to my hair, but I am slowly growing out of it. I realize I'll never have long healthy hair if I don't change my habits. Let us know how it goes!

torrilin
August 5th, 2012, 08:48 AM
It sounds to me like right now your favorite part of cosmetology is hair dye, but you're not picky and you probably like a lot of other parts too.

And it looks like style wise you have a sort of goth/punk aesthetic...

Would going for a more vintage/goth look and working on learning to do proper Victorian, Edwardian or 20th C hair do it for you in terms of "oooh! Shiny!"? There's a lot of pretty spiffy and complex hairstyling that can be done from those periods. From your pictures, it looks to me like 1920s or 1970s looks would be most suitable right now, but if your ability with pin curls and diagrams is good, you might find other 20th C stuff works. Victorian and Edwardian tends to require longer hair... I'm at waist and I can do some Victorian looks, but most Edwardian stuff I'd need MOAR HAIR.

Another benefit of going this route is you will often need hair pieces or falls in order to get a strictly correct period look. Whee! Fake hair to abuse!

It sounds to me like going natural would be really hard/unfun if you think of it as doing nothing to your hair.

akilina
August 5th, 2012, 10:02 AM
It sounds to me like right now your favorite part of cosmetology is hair dye, but you're not picky and you probably like a lot of other parts too.

And it looks like style wise you have a sort of goth/punk aesthetic...

Would going for a more vintage/goth look and working on learning to do proper Victorian, Edwardian or 20th C hair do it for you in terms of "oooh! Shiny!"? There's a lot of pretty spiffy and complex hairstyling that can be done from those periods. From your pictures, it looks to me like 1920s or 1970s looks would be most suitable right now, but if your ability with pin curls and diagrams is good, you might find other 20th C stuff works. Victorian and Edwardian tends to require longer hair... I'm at waist and I can do some Victorian looks, but most Edwardian stuff I'd need MOAR HAIR.

Another benefit of going this route is you will often need hair pieces or falls in order to get a strictly correct period look. Whee! Fake hair to abuse!

It sounds to me like going natural would be really hard/unfun if you think of it as doing nothing to your hair.
I am so not into "cliques" or generalizations, but I love the way you worded all that!
It all sounds really intriguing! I have mulled over it since my OP and I still love the idea. I already got all the supplies but I am holding off until Tuesday to do it all. I guess I mean "doing nothing to my hair" in a sense of the part where I grow out the natural color. If I can't get the rest of my hair close enough I am sure that after an inch or so, I will touch up my hair with an even lighter color that blends the two until I can just grow it on out. The idea of natural color is seeming very exciting to me at this point. I've been every color under the sun, yet not my natural. I want wait to the depth and shine of it ;)

torrilin
August 5th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Heh. A lot of this stuff isn't really a clique, it's a way of thinking about your sense of aesthetics or personal style.

I've got a natural born Victorian china doll look. Ash blonde/ash brown hair (I prefer it darker, but it sunbleaches easily... if I dye my hair, 9 times out of 10 it's because the natural highlights are annoying me), pale skin, rosebud lips, widow's peak, and round face with no chin. I can pretty easily get an instant 1850s to 1860s hairdo, tho without the proper clothes it looks more Mod. Wear enough black or red or purple, and use black eyeliner, and you're an ubergoth. And who doesn't like black eyeliner?

Same sort of facial features show up in historical ads up into the 1920s and 1930s, tho the hairstyles gradually change over time of course. Do a few changes, and the updo that looked really Mod or Victorian is now straight from a 1925 photo. Switch things ever so slightly, and it's 1930s... and with both options, my face looks more heart shaped and less like I'm a chinless wonder. Yay! Put on red lipstick like a proper flapper, and my rosebud lips go rather bee-stung.

I'm never going to look straight up conventionally pretty. But I'm not ugly... my features are fairly symmetrical and balanced. So I have fun playing around with stuff to find what shows off the good points of my looks, and allows me to present an image where I get treated like an adult. I only recently stopped getting carded if I order a beer with dinner. I was still getting taken for a 12 or 15 year old in my late 20s. So playing around with my appearance is a must in all kinds of situations. (and it's also nice having options for when I'm sick or recovering from an injury that are super low effort but still look respectable)

There's plenty of folks here who love to play around just as much or even more than I do too :D. And for some folks, life is just one big costume party, which sounds to me simultaneously tiring and kind of amazing.

akilina
August 5th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Heh. A lot of this stuff isn't really a clique, it's a way of thinking about your sense of aesthetics or personal style.

I've got a natural born Victorian china doll look. Ash blonde/ash brown hair (I prefer it darker, but it sunbleaches easily... if I dye my hair, 9 times out of 10 it's because the natural highlights are annoying me), pale skin, rosebud lips, widow's peak, and round face with no chin. I can pretty easily get an instant 1850s to 1860s hairdo, tho without the proper clothes it looks more Mod. Wear enough black or red or purple, and use black eyeliner, and you're an ubergoth. And who doesn't like black eyeliner?

Same sort of facial features show up in historical ads up into the 1920s and 1930s, tho the hairstyles gradually change over time of course. Do a few changes, and the updo that looked really Mod or Victorian is now straight from a 1925 photo. Switch things ever so slightly, and it's 1930s... and with both options, my face looks more heart shaped and less like I'm a chinless wonder. Yay! Put on red lipstick like a proper flapper, and my rosebud lips go rather bee-stung.

I'm never going to look straight up conventionally pretty. But I'm not ugly... my features are fairly symmetrical and balanced. So I have fun playing around with stuff to find what shows off the good points of my looks, and allows me to present an image where I get treated like an adult. I only recently stopped getting carded if I order a beer with dinner. I was still getting taken for a 12 or 15 year old in my late 20s. So playing around with my appearance is a must in all kinds of situations. (and it's also nice having options for when I'm sick or recovering from an injury that are super low effort but still look respectable)

There's plenty of folks here who love to play around just as much or even more than I do too :D. And for some folks, life is just one big costume party, which sounds to me simultaneously tiring and kind of amazing.
I know it isn't really cliques...I just hate the stereo type of certain styles. I hate that you can wear one thing, yet be generalized and stereotyped in a certain type of people you don't associate yourself with.
I am the same way in that sometimes I have to play around with my appearance because I am 21, yet some people seriously think that I am 16. Its ridiculous. I can't just simply go buy myself beers without even putting makeup on because then I get questioned up and down -_-.
I am a huge mix up of many different styles. I less aim for a specific style, more more towards whatever I like at that moment. I like to sew my own clothing and alter clothing as well. No matter what my hair color, I always tend to make it look good :)
I am so excited at the thought of my natural hair more and more as the day passes :]

jojo89
August 6th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Speaking of stereotypes...I hate the stereotype for blondes. I have been many colors, but naturally I am blonde. Everyone thinks blondes are stupid, superficial barbies, bimbos etc. News flash! The majority of BLONDES are NATURAL brunettes. It's just a hair color people. I've noticed I get WAY more dirty looks from strangers when I have blonde hair. Sorry I had to get that off my chest. I am just dumbfounded by the amount of ignorant people and all the judgements they pass. I had a bad experience this weekend with a friend. She was really drunk and called me a barbie b*tch just cuz I didn't wanna stand out in the rain. Sorry I don't wanna look like a wet dog with makeup running down my face all night. I prefer to be comfortable. You say "barbie" like it's a bad thing. Yes I have blonde hair, but I don't have fake boobs or blue eyes so what's the big deal? Why are people so hateful to blondes? I think it is bullsh!t!

akilina
August 6th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Speaking of stereotypes...I hate the stereotype for blondes. I have been many colors, but naturally I am blonde. Everyone thinks blondes are stupid, superficial barbies, bimbos etc. News flash! The majority of BLONDES are NATURAL brunettes. It's just a hair color people. I've noticed I get WAY more dirty looks from strangers when I have blonde hair. Sorry I had to get that off my chest. I am just dumbfounded by the amount of ignorant people and all the judgements they pass. I had a bad experience this weekend with a friend. She was really drunk and called me a barbie b*tch just cuz I didn't wanna stand out in the rain. Sorry I don't wanna look like a wet dog with makeup running down my face all night. I prefer to be comfortable. You say "barbie" like it's a bad thing. Yes I have blonde hair, but I don't have fake boobs or blue eyes so what's the big deal? Why are people so hateful to blondes? I think it is bullsh!t!
Thats funny. I have experienced the complete opposite. Maybe people are assuming things about your personality.
Whenever I have dark hair in the past, it seems that people thought I was a weirdo, and unapproachable but then whenever I was blond, more people would look at me, smile at me, talk to me, etc... I mean yeah, I am a weirdo but they assumed I was some kind of weird emo person (BARF!!!) just because I had black hair. Peoples assumptions are pretty nasty, even assuming that about you. I guess it goes either way, people either think you are high maintenance if you're a blondie, or happy and approachable when blond. Perhaps the personality at face value paired with furthers their assumptions. Chances are they don't know one thing about you. And wtf blond or not, no one likes standing out in the rain when they got all pretty to go out!! I don't think that makes you a barbie b!tc#.
Im almost thinking dark hair has become more accepted too. Who knows, maybe it was always just as accepted and I have grown up significantly.

jojo89
August 6th, 2012, 01:23 PM
I don't judge people by their hair color. I love black hair, wish I could pull it off- so I wouldn't think you're a weirdo lol. Blondes are known to be more bubbly and I noticed I smile more being blonde. I felt like brunette I just blended in since none of my other features made me stand out. Red didn't suit me that well. I personally like contrast like dark hair with light eyes and light hair with dark eyes. I'm sure people are assuming I'm high maitenance. Oh well, can't change what others think. It's just stupid that some people won't even give me a chance. Another thing that made me bring this up is a random pic on facebook of a young teen who had long blonde hair and blue eyes and skinny. It said to like it if you thought she was beautiful. I decided to read the comments and the things people were saying about this poor girl they've never met just made me feel helpless for society. Like it's not hard enough being a young teen and then these people are calling her a hoe, sl*t, fake, barbie, ugly, nasty, and the worst: "looks like every other wanna be barbie b*tch and society's idea of perfect." Or "i hate blonde hair, she'd be better if she was brunette." Even grown women saying mean things. This girl was attractive, period. There was nothing wrong with her, features were proportional. I don't know, I'm just having one of those days where this is getting to me. So many jealous, rude idiots out there.

jojo89
August 6th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Also, most people I know will openly admit they prefer brown hair to blonde. I remember when blonde was popular. I remember when brown started getting popular when I was in highschool and it still remains. Trends fade which is why I'm just trying to stick with the color that suits me best, not the preferred one of society.

AnnaJamila
August 6th, 2012, 01:31 PM
You say that you're unsatisfied with your hair so why not try something different? I say try the blonde and see how you like it. You're right, usually we're born with the perfect coloring. Anyway not dyeing any more will make reaching your growth goals more easily atainable once you bite the bullet and stop dyeing.

ratgirldjh
August 6th, 2012, 01:38 PM

Hmmm

When I was in high school I bleached my waist length normally very dark brown hair an ashen blonde color. I kept it this way for several months.

I remember once being mad at my boyfriend and getting out of the car at the light. Before I could walk down the street several guys stopped to offer me a ride! My boyfriend was frantic! lol I got back in his car though... but I never had something like that happen until I had BLONDE hair!!!

It didn't match my skin coloring (except when tanned it looked better) so I decided to dye it back my natural color. Imagine my surprise when all the girls at my small school were so sad! Some even cried! They thought I was a 'natural' blonde! And that I had chosen to dye my blonde hair brown and couldn't understand it!!! lol

There is a definite blond mystique...

akilina
August 6th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Welp, the color oops is on my head right now!
I am using the method mentioned in the color oops thread in the henna section.
She left it on for 2 hours.
I will try to leave it for an hour and see how I feel. This stuff tends to give me a headache instantly :/ I just hope i get good enough results after this first application!

beautifulending
August 6th, 2012, 02:56 PM
I use to experiment and be impulsive with everything I did to my hair but now that i'm older and have collage coming soon I don't feel like doing a ton of stuff to my hair anymore.:agree:

akilina
August 6th, 2012, 02:59 PM
I use to experiment and be impulsive with everything I did to my hair but now that i'm older and have collage coming soon I don't feel like doing a ton of stuff to my hair anymore.:agree:
Yes, I was pretty awful to my hair as a teenager.
At this point I guess I have been much friendlier to my hair though. If I do do a big change to it, its probably once a year, rather than several times a year.
My college was beauty college, so it was inevitable that I would be pretty nasty to my hair at that point in time. I am fully recovered now though :D

jojo89
August 6th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Hmmm

When I was in high school I bleached my waist length normally very dark brown hair an ashen blonde color. I kept it this way for several months.

I remember once being mad at my boyfriend and getting out of the car at the light. Before I could walk down the street several guys stopped to offer me a ride! My boyfriend was frantic! lol I got back in his car though... but I never had something like that happen until I had BLONDE hair!!!

It didn't match my skin coloring (except when tanned it looked better) so I decided to dye it back my natural color. Imagine my surprise when all the girls at my small school were so sad! Some even cried! They thought I was a 'natural' blonde! And that I had chosen to dye my blonde hair brown and couldn't understand it!!! lol

There is a definite blond mystique...
Haha! How the times have changed. I know there's stereotypes for all hair colors; I just feel it is much harsher for blondes. Idk when you were in highschool, but I know my dad's generation loved blondes. Anytime I colored my blonde hair, he'd freak out and so would all the older men at the golf course where I worked. People my age are all about brown hair. I'd understand someone callin me a "barbie b!tch" if I had white blonde hair, orange tan, fake boobs, hair extensions, lots of makeup & everything else, but I just have blonde hair. Imagine the abuse I'd get if I had all that. Bein blonde is hard work. I went brown once cuz I was tired of the looks and comments, but I'm a strong person so I can take it. End rant lol

jojo89
August 6th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Welp, the color oops is on my head right now!
I am using the method mentioned in the color oops thread in the henna section.
She left it on for 2 hours.
I will try to leave it for an hour and see how I feel. This stuff tends to give me a headache instantly :/ I just hope i get good enough results after this first application!
So much for waiting for tuesday lol =p did the meeting get cancelled?

akilina
August 6th, 2012, 07:23 PM
That is good you let yourself be above all that BS lol :]

Sooo update... I did the color oops. After I had rinsed for 20 minutes my hair was pretty coppery firey and yellow near the roots. This was GOOD! It looked wayyy lighter.
I did a bleach soap cap and after rinsing, my freaking hair is just as dark as it was before.
I am really P.O.'ed.
I am just really confused. Color oops always works for me. I don't get how bleach- a lightener- would cause my hair to go dark again. I am also using No Cones, as recommended.
UGHHH I am so frustrated -____- I want this color gone.

jojo89
August 6th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Oh no :( I had a feeling that would happen. You would have been better of with just the bleach. Coloroops is tricky stuff.

akilina
August 6th, 2012, 11:17 PM
Oh no :( I had a feeling that would happen. You would have been better of with just the bleach. Coloroops is tricky stuff.
In my professional opinion not at all. Bleach would just destroy my hair :( I am trying to keep its health as much as I can.
I told my mom that I felt stupid because I had it perfect for what it was, then went and did something else and she basically said "dont mess with perfection then" haha. I probably would have been a lot happier if I had not tried to do the bleach soap cap. After that too my hair feels awful. Luckily my hair felt great after color oops and was totally not damaged. Now after the bleach, I am very skeptical. -_-
Im going to give it a rest tomorrow and get back at it. I asked a member on here who is pretty darn good with the oops about what I can do :] Im just waiting on her reply

jojo89
August 7th, 2012, 09:35 AM
By bleach I meant the soap cap. Trial and error. Bright side, you learned something, not so bright side your hair is damaged. Def. give it a break if you're concerned about the health of hair. Hopefully the member you got ahold of can give you some good advice.

akilina
August 7th, 2012, 11:33 AM
By bleach I meant the soap cap. Trial and error. Bright side, you learned something, not so bright side your hair is damaged. Def. give it a break if you're concerned about the health of hair. Hopefully the member you got ahold of can give you some good advice.
Luckily she messaged me back :)
Apparently with color oops, no matter how long you rinse for, some molecules can still be stuck. The peroxide in the soap cap mix caused them to reoxidize. I assumed it wouldn't happen because of the bleach action. I probably won't do any more soap caps this month. Luckily though, I see no splits or fried looking ends :]

LoveAngelBeauty
August 7th, 2012, 11:48 AM
For me color is pretty much a non-factor.

I think it's more about length and texture. Long and straightish/loosely curled, men fall at my feet.

I cut my hair really short last year, almost shorn and it was like a I heard crickets...well, not totally. I just went from being some beautiful, exotic, sexy thing, to something nice to look at on a shelf but not really the type that men would go after.

If I didn't have a boyfriend, I might possibly care more.

Freija
August 7th, 2012, 01:18 PM
What I would do, what I would honestly do, is take a deep breath, be really really strict, and stop doing anything to your hair. As soon as it has a couple of inches of natural roots, use your impulsiveness to cut it all off.

That is exactly what I did two years ago, to get away from henna. I now have happy, soft, curly hair which is getting on for BSL and is almost my natural colour (although I did make the mistake of thinking that I could get red Manic Panic dye out easily, so my lengths are a little bit stained... ahem, what can I say? My own impulsiveness isn't totally dead!).

Changling
August 7th, 2012, 01:35 PM
I have been very impulsive with my hair for the ten years ... which occurred before ... two years ago. LOL. So, starting twelve years ago up until two years ago.

I had every cut (that was short), every color (that was unnatural), and every style (that was not conservative). haha...I even had a few natural colors/conservative styles thrown in there.

I think that you can TOTALLY have long hair, and dye it too...but you'll want to stick with one color, not switch between wildly different shades (my cousin autumn keeps dying her hair black then bleaching it the next week...I keep telling her it's all gonna break off!!). And of course, you'll want to keep on top of the color, re-doing your roots and brightening the length up fairly regularly. I find it to be a pain in the @#%, which is part of the reason I stopped dying it and now I have virgin hair. Another reason is because of what you said...you know, you're born with all these genes that go great together, dye just sort of throws that off. I feel that everyone looks their best with their natural color.

It was really hard at first, to stop being so impulsive about my hair. I started with shaving my head, because I had done it before and I loved it, and it was just a really simple way to start over. That was like boot camp - I COULDN'T be impulsive with my hair cut/style/color, because I didn't have any hair!! As it (very slowly) grew out, I had a few slips...trimmed a bit too much, set myself back a few months, but at least I enjoyed some of the stages of growing out. Now I'm really good about color - I pretty much never want to dye my hair anymore. It's just kind of a huge hassle, and i've already grown out all this great virgin hair, so it just wouldn't be worth it. Cutting is harder T__T especially since I've been through so many really long, awkward phases, growing out from a shaved head. I really want a real STYLE. And I will have one! ...once I reach shoulder.

I guess you just gotta have your own REALLY GOOD reason to grow out your natural color, and stick with it. Don't beat yourself up about a little slip-up. Just remember WHY you wanted to do it.

akilina
August 7th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Cutting my hair short will never, ever be an option. My hair is in pretty darn good health and is just now getting closer to BSL. Chopping my hair to an inch long would be completely out of the question. And very very unattractive on me.

Changling- I totally agree with you! Just because hair is dyed doesn't mean it cant be healthy. My main idea is to get all the abuse out of the way, and grow grow grow :)
I find color oops to be very forgiving. No damage occurs for me after using it whatsoever. So that makes me really happy that I can lift some color out without bleach. So saying "getting the abuse out of the way" is kind of wrong on my part, considering it isn't that abusive.

7 years ago at age 14 I used to be like your cousin lol, I was awful! I can not believe the abuse I had put my hair thru, looking back. I am happy that kind of experimentation and impulsiveness is OVER. Now my impulsiveness of changing my hair moreso happens once a year, or every 8 months or so rather than monthly.

I will just have to stick with this and know that it is a process. :) I need to drag it out if I want it to be as little damaging as possible. I definitely want to see my natural color while I still can. I probably will not go grey for a very very very long time based on what I see from my family, but still.