PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded crunchy ends are here...any help?

TheWebsIWeave
July 31st, 2012, 11:52 AM
Hi everyone,

So,i have crunchy ends,and always kinda had. Not like hay,but i believe it to be at the base of my split-ends/breakage annoyance. I know that the main culprit in general concerning crunchy ends are either too much protein, or not enough moisture. And this is where i get puzzled : i do not use any single hair product that contains protein,and i do watch out for my hair's moisture intake.

This is all i do to my hair :
- Coat the entire length with a quite heavy conditioner that contains plenty of different oils and no cleansing agent (camelina/apricot kernel/sweet almond,i believe)
- Wash my scalp with shampoo (i admit that the shampoo is a bit harsh)
- Rinse all
- Let airdry untouched and then detangle
- If i feel like i need a bit of a moisture boost i smooth a bit of jojoba wax on the length
- I do weekly a honey treatment,which i discovered was AWESOME for my hair

And that's pretty much about it for now...Is there anything i should change or add?

tanya222
July 31st, 2012, 11:56 AM
I dunno but I will be watching to see some answers to this, my ends are a bit dry as well despite handfuls of coconut oil, heavy conditioning, etc I don't really want a trim quite yet!

allycat
July 31st, 2012, 12:02 PM
If you only wash your scalp I'd try clarifying the whole length. Crunchy ends are a sign for me that the oils and conditioner have built up.

Kyla
July 31st, 2012, 12:11 PM
Indeed, you might need to clarify. Try that, then follow with some deep moisture, and see if that helps at all. It's possible that the ends are damaged and you might just need a trim, but that should be a last resort. Also, jojoba wax? Does it have anything added to it that makes it waxy? If so, that can cause major build up in your hair.

akilina
July 31st, 2012, 12:13 PM
I feel almost stupid asking this...but do you know exactly what ingredients to look out for that are "protein" ??
It goes under several different names.
Maybe you could clarify, then do a deep moisture treatment and see how you feel. Not sure how you do your honey treatments but some have actually experienced damage from honey, being that it naturally contains peroxide.

Wildcat Diva
July 31st, 2012, 12:30 PM
You say you are using a heavy conditioner. Maybe you have product build up and need to clarify plus moisturize. Sounds like a good time for a SMT after you clarify maybe?

Tia2010
I get dry feeling ends when I get build up (which with you using heavy conditioner and jojoba wax - you could have) or when I need a trim ( I actually just got back from having an inch taken off )

If I clarify, do a couple moisturizing DT's, oil them and my ends still feel dry ... I get a trim. I know most people don't like trims but I'm one who loves the feel of fresh cut ends so I don't mind ( of course it's taking me forever to hit waist doing this *sigh* but I think it's better for my hair in the long run)

TheWebsIWeave
So i see, clarifying is definitly in the menu for me, and quiet down with the wax and the honey. However,what kind of deep treatment you people can advise me? It seems like i should avoid any recipe containing conditioner, so an SMT is out of question.

Tia2010
July 31st, 2012, 12:40 PM
So i see, clarifying is definitly in the menu for me, and quiet down with the wax and the honey. However,what kind of deep treatment you people can advise me? It seems like i should avoid any recipe containing conditioner, so an SMT is out of question.

It's not that you should avoid using conditioner..in fact, a SMT is great after a clarifying...It's just you need to get the build up off first by clarifying so that the conditioner/DT can actually penetrate and moisturize your hair instead of just coating it . :)

akilina
July 31st, 2012, 12:41 PM
Why avoid conditioner completely?? Get something that isn't super waxy. Get something that doesn't have as many cones, and ingredients you can't pronounce.
I do sort of a modified SMT. Conditioner, aloe vera (100% real stuff) and a few drops of oil. Its amazing.

jojo89
July 31st, 2012, 12:43 PM
agree with the above posters- probably build-up. You should get a trim as well. My hair feels like that and it's cuz I need to trim my splits. When I do some protein treatments, my hair gets stiff and tangly, almost like velcro the way my ends grab other strands. The only protein treatment I have found that I like is aPHogee 2 step treatment from Sally's. The PH in the name stands for pH balance. I've been meaning to try honey. For moisturizing I like Aussie 3 min miracle, but you might not like the ingredients if you are strict about that. Anything with argan oil/morrocan oil is good. I like the African Royale Hot Six Oil from Sally's.

SpinDance
July 31st, 2012, 12:44 PM
It does sound like clarifying should be the first step in diagnosing your crunchy ends. And I don't see any reason to avoid conditioner, so SMT should be fine, if that recipe works for your hair. My hair doesn't like aloe, so I skip that, for example. Jojoba oil does not penetrate the hair, and can cause coating, so that could be contributing to the issue. (It can penetrate the skin.)

Many people find that when they get symptoms like this that a simple clarifying is all it takes to fix it.

TheWebsIWeave
July 31st, 2012, 01:12 PM
I see! Thank you very much everyone. As you told me,i will try a good clarifying shampoo and then a DT and report to you later on if i still have someproblems. Maybe a trim is also due...

jojo89
July 31st, 2012, 01:13 PM
tia- I love the way fresh ends feel too! Nothing better :) I get an inch off every couple months since I'm growing out damage, but once it is healthy I'll be doing less trimming. At this rate, my hair will be the same length for awhileeee! I'm okay with that though, must get it healthy then focus on length.

Charybdis
July 31st, 2012, 01:14 PM
If you have really hard water (leaves lots of mineral residue when it dries, limescale in your kettle, that kind of thing), you may want to get a shampoo that chelates in addition to clarifying, like Joico K-Pak. My water right now is super-hard, and I have to do a final rinse with filtered water that has a tiny bit of lemon juice in it; otherwise my hair gets tangly and feels weird. But I definitely think clarifying, then deep conditioning, is the way to go.