PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy and hair growth/quality?

KhiraLi
July 31st, 2012, 08:57 AM
Out of curiosity (I've never been pregnant, yet) did you experience any change in hair quality, growth, thickness etc during pregnancy? I've heard that the hair can get thinner but it would be interesting to hear the opinions from you experts.

akilina
July 31st, 2012, 09:02 AM
Its not really "expert advice." Its personal experience.

Every womans story will be different.
When I was..for about 6 weeks then no more...my hair grew 3/4 of an inch and its over all heath was amazing.

salamander
July 31st, 2012, 09:15 AM
Supposedly your hair stops shedding so it gets thicker, but I've never been myself so I can't swear to it.

lmfbs
July 31st, 2012, 03:20 PM
Supposedly your hair stops shedding so it gets thicker, but I've never been myself so I can't swear to it.

I've heard that. Lots of women have a bit shed after birth.

Amber_Maiden
July 31st, 2012, 03:39 PM
Mine shed like crazy while I was pregnant- from 6 weeks in to a week after giving birth. Then my shedding went back to normal. I also discovered very curls strands, and new growth zig-zag strands. And my red hair got darker and less red, more dark auburn.

earthnut
July 31st, 2012, 03:51 PM
I never noticed any change. But near the birth and for while after, I was too busy with the baby to do anything with my hair, so it grew a lot. :bluesmile

honeybunnie8
July 31st, 2012, 03:57 PM
I shed 3 months PP and my hair is still thicker. I do have this really strange regrowth that is weird and curly though. I'm still breastfeeding so that may be why.

neko_kawaii
July 31st, 2012, 03:59 PM
I didn't really notice any difference for myself but my SIL had such a massive shed after both births that she had bald patches. Ouch. It is different for everyone.

Elithia
July 31st, 2012, 04:38 PM
I've never been pregnant, but both my mother and my aunt had thicker hair and faster growth (think 1.5 inches/month) while pregnant. They both did shed a lot post-pregnancy, but not so much that anyone but them noticed. And I know that my aunt has always found that her terminal length is a little past waist (her hair is pretty healthy so I don't think it's because of breakage), and she got past tailbone while pregnant because of the extra growth.

browneyedsusan
July 31st, 2012, 07:13 PM
My hair was great during my pregnancies, but I lost a lot of it after the babies came. (My hairdresser gasped that she'd never seen that kind of massive hair loss. --Gee thanks. :()

It's better now, thanks to henna!