PDA

View Full Version : Essential oils in WO hair, need some help. :)

MaryMarx
July 31st, 2012, 08:27 AM
Hi! :p

So, I have been WO for a couple of weeks now and I like it, but the problem is I don't really like my "natural hair smell"
that comes with this method, other than the same day I've washed it.

So I was thinking, essential oils in WO hair, how is that working?
Is it possible to use EO's in a mister bottle? Could I dilute it both with another oil and then some water?

Because the thing is, I don't need it in the lengths, only at the crown, and adding oil in already oily WO hair...? :confused:
Rose water would have been the perfect alternative, but I don't want to smell like roses.
I want it to smell berries and candy and just sweet. ;)

I would very much appreciate any help and ideas with this. Thanks!

MaryMarx
August 5th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Any ideas? :disco:

PolarCathy
August 5th, 2012, 10:50 AM
You could ask here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=3412

akilina
August 5th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Hmmm.
Thinking hereeee....
Maybe you could apply a nice smelling EO to your scalp, but not blatantly on the top sections of your hair to avoid any extra oil?
Maybe a mister bottle would work...but oil+water don't mix. I guess you could shake the bottle really really well beforehand??
I also, don't know any EOs that smell like "berries and candy" because EO's are more natural, earthy, and herby smelling. At best, you could go for a more citrus smell with orange EO, Grape fruit, lime, lemon...etc... Or perhaps something minty with spearmint, peppermint, etc...
Or go for a nice herb smell in your hair with others like Rosemary, lavander, sage, stuff like that....

MaryMarx
August 7th, 2012, 01:40 AM
You could ask here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=3412

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

MaryMarx
August 7th, 2012, 01:42 AM
Hmmm.
Thinking hereeee....
Maybe you could apply a nice smelling EO to your scalp, but not blatantly on the top sections of your hair to avoid any extra oil?
Maybe a mister bottle would work...but oil+water don't mix. I guess you could shake the bottle really really well beforehand??
I also, don't know any EOs that smell like "berries and candy" because EO's are more natural, earthy, and herby smelling. At best, you could go for a more citrus smell with orange EO, Grape fruit, lime, lemon...etc... Or perhaps something minty with spearmint, peppermint, etc...
Or go for a nice herb smell in your hair with others like Rosemary, lavander, sage, stuff like that....

Citrus actually would be nice! Thanks.
I think some heavy shaking would work, or maybe just dilute it and apply with fingers...

PolarCathy
August 7th, 2012, 01:50 AM
Citrus actually would be nice! Thanks.
I think some heavy shaking would work, or maybe just dilute it and apply with fingers...

The problem with EOs in water is that while they disperse, they don't get diluted (obv) so when you put it on your scalp, it's still basically a concentrated EO that reaches your scalp. I've severely burnt myself with thyme EO this way (water, spray bottle, shaken up). If you go this route, you could maybe try something that can be used straight, undiluted by most people (unless there's some sensitivity/allergy). Only two EOs like that come to my mind, lavender and tea tree. If you do this with any oils and you experience a burning sensation, please don't wait, get rid of it ASAP. The thyme burn for me was something I'll always remember, Luckily my hair didn't fall out in those places but I was afraid it would.

Or just don't use so much of the EO+water thing that it reaches your scalp at all.

Another possible solution could be emulsifying whatever EO in aloe vera gel, then water it down and spray it. I haven't tried it this particular way yet, I'm just thinking loud.

PolarCathy
August 7th, 2012, 01:53 AM
Or, since you are in Sweden, there's this super cheap conditioner, the big 500ml Coop X-tra thing, I know that's compatible with WO, I mean as much as a conditioner can possibly be. No cones, no nothing that coats the hair. Maybe a bit of that (or similar) conditioner + EOs and then water it down, so it's like a very very diluted leave-in/CO-wash when you wash it out? Or simply a rosemary (or other) tea rinse would do for your hair, no?

freznow
August 7th, 2012, 01:59 AM
If you're OK with dry shampoo, put some EO on a little piece of cloth and put it in a jar with orris/arrow root powder or cornstarch. Then you can use this for nice smell.

That's basically the idea behind Gladtobemom's Nanny Pualine's airing powder (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6387).

Maybe diluting in an alcohol would work? I think that's how perfumes work...

MaryMarx
August 7th, 2012, 05:05 AM
Or, since you are in Sweden, there's this super cheap conditioner, the big 500ml Coop X-tra thing, I know that's compatible with WO, I mean as much as a conditioner can possibly be. No cones, no nothing that coats the hair. Maybe a bit of that (or similar) conditioner + EOs and then water it down, so it's like a very very diluted leave-in/CO-wash when you wash it out? Or simply a rosemary (or other) tea rinse would do for your hair, no?

That's a very good idea! I remember trying that one when I started CO, and the smell is pretty strong so I guess it would stay on the hair for long, which is great.
I think I'll try with a tea rinse first, because I have a lot of tea at home! :)

Also, thanks for the warning about pure EOs.