PDA

View Full Version : Hair color Help, dk blnd to yellow....want platinum!

ZeppHead
July 31st, 2012, 07:47 AM
Hello All!
I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction as I am not sure what to do next. I haven't colored my hair in maybe 2 or 3 years and wanted my light blonde hair back. Summer has a way of doing this to me!!
Anyhow, I am naturally a dark blonde ( I have been called dirty blonde, dishwater blonde and medium blonde) so I am not that dark to start off with. Natural color does have gold tones to it also. My hair before coloring was roots to about my ears fading into my lighter grown out blonde to the tips. My hair is past bsl and I am very concerned about health so I want to try the least damaging ways to get lighter!
I used Loreal Feria 110 Starlet on Saturday and it didn't come out horrible, I wouldn't call it a hair disaster but I was looking for more of a very light almost platinum color I know I can achieve at home, because, well I already have without bleach in the past.
My hair came out pretty orange on top and the rest was ok. Not light enough but not "yikes glaring orange hair!". I went out and stocked up on purple shampoo and conditioner so I have been using that and am prepared to continue using as I try and get blonder! It has worked pretty well so far but obviously it hasnt fixed my color, it is now yellowish....more of a flat golden color on top. I wish I could post pictures but I always have trouble posting in the thread!:mad:

I have considered going to a salon to get it fixed since its not horrible it would probably be pretty easy for them to fix but corrective color runs $100-$200 soooo I am gonna try and make it up to Sally's Beauty today and see what they suggest but I would also love all your knowledge!

So, I was thinking of getting an Unred from Sally's and buying a very light ash blonde dye, maybe L'oreal Preference Blondissimes LB01. I want to stay away from bleaching kits, I don't think I need it and would very much prefer to stay away from them, but if you think I do please say so. I really dont have major orange/red tone but it looks like an unnatural yellow so would using a light ash blonde work to cover it or would I need a bleach then dye the color over it?

I am going to continue to use the purple shampoo and conditioners and deep conditioners til I feel my hair is ready to dye again, maybe wait 2 or 3 weeks or a month. I have invested in tons of leave in and deep conditioners already so I am prepared for this!! I cant wait to get blonde again and I hate looking at my golden hair!! It really doesnt feel that damaged or dry because I have been conditioning like crazy and even been sleeping in it!

What do you suggest? Advice? Experience? I really appreciate it so much!! Thank you!!

EDIT:

Seeing the pictures of my hair now I see that the dye really didn't do much at all to my hair except color the top of my head strawberry blonde, the rest of my hair is not really any lighter. I want it very light...what next?

Pictures of my hair now:

http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r527/chevychick7/IMAG0566.jpg

http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r527/chevychick7/IMAG0567.jpg

http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r527/chevychick7/IMAG0570.jpg

http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r527/chevychick7/IMAG0569.jpg

http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r527/chevychick7/IMAG0571.jpg

http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r527/chevychick7/IMAG0573.jpg

Tisiloves
July 31st, 2012, 08:00 AM
You might want to try a toner rather than an all out dye, I hear good things about the snow white manic panic.

Anje
July 31st, 2012, 08:15 AM
I'm with Tisiloves. You need a more drastic toner than just your shampoo, and that's one thing Manic Panic and the similar vegetable dye products are good for. Get the Virgin Snow violet-toned stuff, see if that doesn't fix it.

I've also heard of folks putting just a dab of one of the blue or purple dyes in their favorite conditioner, so they can get the toning effects like you'd get from the store-bought purple products, but in the product that works best for you. (If I were going to do that, I'd have a colored and uncolored bottle, so I could trade back and forth depending on the appearance of my hair that day.)

akilina
July 31st, 2012, 08:40 AM
Toner could be your best friend! :D Or spend a week in the sun here and there.
It would not cost you that much at all to go to a salon and simply have your hair toned.
Not $200.

You could even go to a school and have your hair toned for probably 5 dollars. They have instructors that have incredible knowledge and will help the student out to get the right toner. Have someone do it who is about to graduate, with a good reputation in the school for what they do and their abilities.

That is the other option if you are not comfortable toning at home. Unless you have a sallys.

They should know at least how to put a box of toner in your hand. Hopefully you run into a knowledgeable employee.
DO NOT let them hand you a bottle of 20 volume developer. Only use 10 volume if you are toning.

Honestly? I hate sallys. I find that they are ill educated and set you up for disaster. I am sure there are some associates out there who are great. But no. I was in the store and the girl told a girl trying to go white blond the WORST wrong wrong wronggggg things to do. It pissed me off. I walked up to the girl and told her the right thing to get to keep the health of her hair because I am nosy but she was too confused to understand what I was saying. I vowed to never go there ever again and stick to my real supply stores that only licensed people can go into >____<

akilina
July 31st, 2012, 08:42 AM
Oooooh and yes, anje Virgin Snow is awesome! It doesn't last for long but when I used it, it worked pretty darn well. Although, I was already really white blond. I dont know if it is strong enough to cover very brassy tones.
I did a little experiment with it for fun. It even left some of my strands literally white.

ZeppHead
July 31st, 2012, 09:24 AM
Thanks guys!

I don't know if a toner will give me what I want since the blonde didn't come through....I could definitely try it and probably benefit from it but as far as getting the color I want to achieve I am looking to be platinum as think dying again is the way to go. The color didnt lift enough and I would assume trying again and toning would work? Toning right now would simply get rid of the brass (temporarily?) but what will I need to do to go lighter AND not be brassy??

akilina
July 31st, 2012, 10:51 AM
Thanks guys!

I don't know if a toner will give me what I want since the blonde didn't come through....I could definitely try it and probably benefit from it but as far as getting the color I want to achieve I am looking to be platinum as think dying again is the way to go. The color didnt lift enough and I would assume trying again and toning would work? Toning right now would simply get rid of the brass (temporarily?) but what will I need to do to go lighter AND not be brassy??
If you feel you need to, possibly go to some sort of supply store (like sallys) and buy yourself a packet of powder bleach and 10 volume developer. You might as well grab toner while you are there.
The thing about the box dyes, is that they often contain a developer that is WAY higher of a vol. than you even need. To keep damage to a minimum I would recommend getting your own supplies. I find it cheaper to do so too. Maybe just apply the bleach to the darker parts, if you ends are already pretty light.
I wish I could see your color. Perhaps just a soap cap would work. Bleach powder+10 vol+ clear colored shampoo :) Those have helped me in the past to remove stubborn color. It is something you need to check every 3 to 5 minutes.

long&blonde
July 31st, 2012, 11:57 AM
I've been going to a salon for my blonde(white roots) the last 2 years. Tho the salon does a pretty job of highlights woven in, its been my experience they hook you on a much darker blonde than you'd like. Then tell you with your length,lighter blonde is impossible. Meanwhile,you've had platinum home dyed long hair, your whole life. I digress. You seem to have used the same box dyes as me,back in the day. I never experimented with toners myself. I would try Loreal, blondessimes the lightest ash shade, as you said. Follow up with lots of deep conditioning. If it doesn't get you to where you want to be:get another couple boxs same shade and product,try again. I've repeated same shade 3 times in a week, for the shade to finally be where I wanted it.

Loviatar
July 31st, 2012, 01:18 PM
I can't say better than Akilina. Virgin Snow would have been my first bet, but if you still need it lighter, powder bleach and 10vol developer is the way forward.

Akilina - I love Sallys stores, but hate the ill-educated staff. I've been told I need 40vol developer to go from medium brown to blue-black before. Uh, no. I use 10vol at the most. I've used 6vol before and it's worked. I get all my colour knowledge from stylists on LHC like Ademtce and Kwaniesiam, then I go in and look for what I want. I rarely talk to the staff for advice. ;)

ZeppHead
July 31st, 2012, 01:31 PM
why do I only need a 10 vol? I wouldn't need a 30 being I want to go a few shades lighter than I am now?

ZeppHead
July 31st, 2012, 01:32 PM
Please see pictures, you can really tell how far down my roots were! The strawberry blonde were my roots and the rest of my hair is pretty much unchanged

akilina
July 31st, 2012, 01:33 PM
I've been going to a salon for my blonde(white roots) the last 2 years. Tho the salon does a pretty job of highlights woven in, its been my experience they hook you on a much darker blonde than you'd like. Then tell you with your length,lighter blonde is impossible. Meanwhile,you've had platinum home dyed long hair, your whole life. I digress. You seem to have used the same box dyes as me,back in the day. I never experimented with toners myself. I would try Loreal, blondessimes the lightest ash shade, as you said. Follow up with lots of deep conditioning. If it doesn't get you to where you want to be:get another couple boxs same shade and product,try again. I've repeated same shade 3 times in a week, for the shade to finally be where I wanted it.
Thanks lovitar :)

I mean no offense here, but I would NOT do that, OP. Highly advise against using that stuff 3 times in one week. Bad bad advice. That is 3 completely unnecessary steps taken.

You need to go about it in a healthy approach if you want to keep your hair. Like I said, get some powder bleach and 10 vol developer. You will have better results this way than with a box dye. :) Thanks for posting pictures. Toner would do nearly nothing to your hair. I believe that one application of bleach would be perfect. Just make sure your bleach is the right consistency, and work quickly. Bleach loses its umph after a while.

ZeppHead
July 31st, 2012, 01:39 PM
Should I apply to my whole head for the same length of time?

Not to be a pain but why would toner do nothing? Just wondering...

akilina
July 31st, 2012, 01:50 PM
Should I apply to my whole head for the same length of time?

Not to be a pain but why would toner do nothing? Just wondering...
Well, toner would hardly change it. Your hair seems too dark/brassy for it to do much. I guess if you found a toner in the current shade it might, but it wont make it blonder, and might only barely block out the brassiness. If you wanted it toned down I would personally pick the shade that matches your hair, and use a double pigment...but you want to be blonder, so that is completely irrelevant.
I would probably apply the bleach on the hair that is more strawberryish, then after you have completely finished the first few inches of your hair (however long your more strawberry roots are) then apply to the rest if your hair. That is just what I would do though and have done for my friend who has platinum hair. We do her roots, then go in and do some of the length that is still dark from her trying to dye her hair without me :wail: