PDA

View Full Version : humorous article about long hair on older women

neko_kawaii
July 30th, 2012, 08:31 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/maria-de-cesare/long-hair_b_1710646.html

Amygirl8
July 30th, 2012, 08:40 PM
I like this article XD The author reminds me of a writer in another magazine I read.

Vanille_
July 30th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Wow. The comment section on the actual article was very fun to read. I was glad to see all those people call her out.

lmfbs
July 30th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Women hating on other women in that original article. Yay.

Yozhik
July 30th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Hilarious!

Thanks so much for sharing. :D

swearnsue
July 30th, 2012, 09:20 PM
It was a stupid article.

brave
July 30th, 2012, 09:39 PM
As a professional woman (as opposed to an amateur woman, apparently), I can assure you, from the bottom of my follicles: Your career success will have absolutely zero to do with how long or short your hair is...If your hair is long and well-kempt, great. If it's short and well-kempt, great. If you're bald and well-kempt, great. If you're an idiot who's terrible at her job: RED ALERT, not great.

I thought it was pretty darn funny, if only because it points out how we pick the stupidest things to nitpick about other people. And there was actual backlash against Hillary growing out her hair. Really? That's what we as a nation worry about?

tanya222
July 30th, 2012, 09:56 PM
LOL @ funny comments! If you wear your whatever-length hair always in a bun, nobody would know how long it is or isn't. I've worked at my current job over 3 years, and nobody's ever seen how long my hair is.

trilobite
July 30th, 2012, 10:37 PM
I think one has to wear it up at work. I admit I get tired of co-workers wearing jeans, t-shirts or tight or revealing clothes. I think the students feel better if we look like authority figures who have some control of our appearance. This is my case, of course, as a high school teacher.

I have noticed that many people HATE hair sticks. I have a theory as to why, but it is strange. Of course some people love them and will tell me stories about a relative who wore them and how fondly they remember them.

I've read better written articles on the subject, but it was interesting and was certainly glad to have it shared.

Rowan Will-o'
July 30th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Eighteen inches is long hair? As an oldie (but I hope goodie) at almost 65, and with a current length of 29 inches, and retired, I guess I don't have much to worry about relative to a career.

Rowan Will-o'

Rowan Will-o'
July 30th, 2012, 10:42 PM
I like the photo of the bear - it looks very Russian!

Hilarious!

Thanks so much for sharing. :D

Cinnamoon
July 30th, 2012, 11:47 PM
Eighteen inches is long hair? As an oldie (but I hope goodie) at almost 65, and with a current length of 29 inches, and retired, I guess I don't have much to worry about relative to a career.

Rowan Will-o'

I imagine that she probably was measuring straight down the back of her head, instead of over the top of the head LHC style. :)

I liked the article. It's good that there's someone out there pointing out that it's ok to have long hair at any age.

CorinaS
July 31st, 2012, 03:42 AM
I think the author of the first article (the one that is laughed about), didn't meet too many career women, because I did, I've met dozens of small/medium business owners and big corporation managers, and I've seen all hair lenghts and colors and styles of clothing, from office to trashy (on women way over 30) and nobody cared (except for the professional haters, the narrow minded and the competition, but those hate everyone anyway, so why care?). I think men with long hair have to face a lot more prejudice than the ladies and the regulations regarding the clothing are far more strict.

Minerve
July 31st, 2012, 05:05 AM
I think one has to wear it up at work. I admit I get tired of co-workers wearing jeans, t-shirts or tight or revealing clothes. I think the students feel better if we look like authority figures who have some control of our appearance. This is my case, of course, as a high school teacher.

I have noticed that many people HATE hair sticks. I have a theory as to why, but it is strange. Of course some people love them and will tell me stories about a relative who wore them and how fondly they remember them.

I've read better written articles on the subject, but it was interesting and was certainly glad to have it shared.
Might I ask what your theory is about hair stick haters? -interested-

DancingQueen
July 31st, 2012, 05:27 AM
Nice one :D

I read the original article as well, claiming that women should not have hair down their back unless they were very young. Question: If women should only grow long hair at a certain age, why does it not stop growing?

Well, she is going to hate me when I get old; I decided long ago I wanted a long, silver braid for as long as possible. I won't whack all my hair of just because I get old.

Tota
July 31st, 2012, 05:33 AM
If your hair is long and well-kempt, great. If it's short and well-kempt, great. If you're bald and well-kempt, great. If you're an idiot who's terrible at her job: RED ALERT, not great

Touche! :)

Thanks for sharing, I loved it.

Vanille_
July 31st, 2012, 05:39 AM
I would think having long hair could actually help you look "more professional" or at least sometimes have an upper hand. From my own experience, it's much easier to secure my hair in a bun and keep it off my face than it was to secure chin-shoulder hair.

Demi-Plum
July 31st, 2012, 06:36 AM
Now this lady knows what she's talking about! She's funny to boot. And frankly the world can kiss my a** if they think they are going to dictate wether in 20 years I will cut my hair. In almost 22 I've had my hair chopped ONCE when I was 5 and I swore I would never do it again and it don't look like that's gonna change anytime soon. My mother likes my hair, my boyfriend likes my hair, I LOVE my hair and I want more to love~!

Toadstool
July 31st, 2012, 07:14 AM
LOL at "pre-dead lady husks"!!

FrannyG
July 31st, 2012, 07:16 AM
I agree that the author was most likely not measuring the LHC way, and that her hair is likely longer than we LHCers would believe.

As to the author of the original article, *sigh*, I really wish that women would start really supporting other women in their fashion choices. Women criticizing other women's hair is so 1965.

I think Hilary Clinton, just as an example, is much more attractive with longer hair. I'm thinking that her generation is the generation the may just pave the way for changing the thinking in how us older women can wear our hair in a socially acceptable way, as well as in business.

Amber_Maiden
July 31st, 2012, 07:19 AM
haha! loved it!
:D

pepperminttea
July 31st, 2012, 08:05 AM
If we start lopping off our locks to protect our careers, then, by all accounts, guys won't love us anymore. And then what are we supposed to do? Pay for our own clothes? Buy our own houses? What's next, start opening business by ourselves?? This is so confusing! Math IS hard! WHO LET JONI MITCHELL IN HERE?

I lost it there! :rollin: God bless sarcasm.

Louise148
July 31st, 2012, 08:41 AM
I lost it there! :rollin: God bless sarcasm.

Me too...that line cracked me up. Sarcasm rocks! :rockerdud

trilobite
August 2nd, 2012, 08:24 PM
They are not well formulated, but I've narrowed it down to dowagers in Marx movies (symbols of the stuffy old days needing to be taken down a peg) or it just plain being something foreign and "oriental". Also, kids are very non-comformist in conformist ways, and they expect teachers to conform especially. Where I live they are unusual. I'm still pretty mystified by it truth be told. Not the best answer.

~honeyflower~
August 2nd, 2012, 09:00 PM
Oh my! I was laughing so hard, that made my day!

PixxieStix
August 2nd, 2012, 09:48 PM
Now THAT was a fantastically amazing article! :D It had me laughing out loud at certain parts.

Alun
August 2nd, 2012, 10:28 PM
I think the author of the first article (the one that is laughed about), didn't meet too many career women, because I did, I've met dozens of small/medium business owners and big corporation managers, and I've seen all hair lenghts and colors and styles of clothing, from office to trashy (on women way over 30) and nobody cared (except for the professional haters, the narrow minded and the competition, but those hate everyone anyway, so why care?). I think men with long hair have to face a lot more prejudice than the ladies and the regulations regarding the clothing are far more strict.

Prejudice against men with long hair is usually buried under the surface, whereas some women seem to be intent on tearing eachother down. Ostensible tips on fashion or careers that don't really seem to be designed to benefit the recipient, for example. Men are quite capable of awful behaviour too, but it is usually more direct.

I'm sure there are jobs I applied for and didn't get because I have long hair. I'll never know how many. However, I can only think of two times in my life when someone at work said anything negative about my hair. One of those guys was bald and on the same pay grade as myself when I worked in a lab. I think that speaks for itself. The other time was when I had a boss who just suggested it would be better if I cut it. It was presented as a suggestion, so I didn't. Would I have got a management position if I had? I don't know, but life is too short to worry.

The other day I got a hair compliment at work. It was from a visiting Korean student. They were using our conference room. Her own hair was only shoulder length. It made my day.

Male dress codes tend to be a bit limiting, but OTOH the female ones often seem to be paranoid about not showing too much skin.