PDA

View Full Version : Hair build-up - it won't go away!!

Black Dawn
July 30th, 2012, 03:25 PM
This problem started months ago. After washing my hair I would be left with a strange feeling in certain parts of my hair, mainly by my right ear and at the back of my head. It usually feels quite waxy/greasy and tacky, as though my hair is still damp, even when it's not! It feels like there is residue leftover in my hair. It's gross!

And I've tried everything!
I tried extra rinses and rinsing for longer.
I've changed my shampoo 4 or 5 times, and currently use a gentle brand shampoo called 'Simple' (it's a UK product).
I've tried clarifying shampoo.

I managed to get rid of the build-up temporarly using a baking soda rinse a few weeks ago. I hated using the baking soda because it tangled my hair like CRAZY, but the build-up vanished.

I resumed my normal shampoo & conditioner routine after the baking soda rinse, and BAM, the waxy-weirdness returned.

I am at the end of my tether. It's not a scalp issue because the hair in question is nowhere near my scalp. On the contrary the hair at my scalp is the shiniest.

Please help. I even considered lopping off my hair because I was so frustrated, but it's almost at bra strap length and I don't want to have to chop it all off! :( I also don't want to use baking soda again because of how tangled it made my hair - plus the issue returned when I started using shampoo/conditioner again.

ddiana1979
July 30th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Have you tried Prell? It's an American brand, not sure if it's available in the UK. It's dirt cheap, but I find it to be an excellent clarifying shampoo. I also rinse with an Apple Cider Vinegar rinse when I have build up, 1:7 in water. You can use it full strength though, if you need extra clarifying. It won't hurt your hair. I'd just pour it on after shampooing, leave it on a minute or so (maybe massage it through your length a little), then rinse with water as normal.

Another clarifying shampoo I've had good luck with is Neutrogena Shampoo Anti-Residue Formula. It's slightly expensive relative to Prell, but it works well. I used to use it once a week when I used cones.

Madora
July 30th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Perhaps the trouble lies with what you are using on your hair..and how often.

Everything you put on your hair leaves a trace behind, and over time builds up.

I second the recommendation of using Neutrogena Anti Residue Clarifying Shampoo. It works very well. Be sure to do a conditioning treatment afterwards.

You might try diluting both your shampoo and conditioner and see how that works for you.

If you're having trouble with tangles, mineral oil (also known as baby oil) is a great detangler. Also helps a lot to reduce static. (Best used on hair that has been clarified first..but you can use it on dry hair also).

MinderMutsig
July 30th, 2012, 03:57 PM
I can't help but wonder if it's truly buildup or if it's a spot that you maybe miss when washing or maybe miss when rinsing. It doesn't really sound like buildup so I'd take a good critical look at your routines and see if maybe it's something else.

My hair is quite thick and I sometimes miss spots near my ears when washing. I have to part my hair at different places to cover everything and have to really work in the cleansing agent of choice from the top, sides and bottom. Same for rinsing. If I'm less thorough because I'm in a hurry I sometimes get those sticky patches too.

jacqueline101
July 30th, 2012, 04:28 PM
I'd clarify and not use as much or none of the products you normally use. If you oil try diluting the oil with water and put in a mister and apply to hair once a day. If that doesn't work try using once a week.

lapushka
July 30th, 2012, 04:32 PM
I can't help but wonder if it's truly buildup or if it's a spot that you maybe miss when washing or maybe miss when rinsing. It doesn't really sound like buildup so I'd take a good critical look at your routines and see if maybe it's something else.

My hair is quite thick and I sometimes miss spots near my ears when washing. I have to part my hair at different places to cover everything and have to really work in the cleansing agent of choice from the top, sides and bottom. Same for rinsing. If I'm less thorough because I'm in a hurry I sometimes get those sticky patches too.

^^ This.

My hair's really thick, so it gets sectioned into 4 for washing: the back, the top, and both sides. Scrub well! Add some water. Scrub some more. Then use a conditioner from the ears down.

afu
July 30th, 2012, 04:35 PM
I would agree with the suggestion to clarify, condition then follow with a dilute lemon juice or citric acid rinse. for the following washes try heavily diluting yor shampoo and rinse really well, parting the hair as you go right across the scalp, when you think you're rinsed clean, rinse a bit more

trillian
July 31st, 2012, 07:50 AM
I had this once too. It is gross. You are right. I got rid of it with coconut oil overnight, followed by a good rinse, then an egg white wash.

I suspect mine came from never letting my hair dry, and damp bunning all the time.
Good luck!

jojo
July 31st, 2012, 08:40 AM
I had this problem a few weeks back, I put a little say 1 /4 teaspoon of citric acid powder in my clarifying shampoo and it worked a treat! It's horrible when you can't get rid of build up, either I'd suggest try that or some washing up liquid

DinaAG
July 31st, 2012, 06:16 PM
do u use something silicon based? take it easy when it comes 2 ur hair plz and if u r nt sure what is it check a dr

ratgirldjh
July 31st, 2012, 06:36 PM
My hair has this problem if I use a conditioner (or even poo bar/soap) with glycerine in it.

The only thing I've found to really get rid of it was to do a bentonite clay mask on my hair for 20 minutes and then rinse with and ACV rinse.

Before I figured this out I like to went crazy. Now I avoid anything with glycerine and it has never happened again.

jextxadore
August 2nd, 2012, 08:09 AM
I managed to get rid of the build-up temporarly using a baking soda rinse a few weeks ago. I hated using the baking soda because it tangled my hair like CRAZY, but the build-up vanished.

I resumed my normal shampoo & conditioner routine after the baking soda rinse, and BAM, the waxy-weirdness returned.

For future reference, baking soda rinses should be followed with an acidic rinse (vinegar, lemon juice etc.) to avoid tangled-ness. Also play with different levels of dilution with both acidic rinse and baking soda.

Are you using hard water with your hair? That generally leaves residue, although I've read about people hating soft water because it won't "clean" their hair.

I don't know how your products are "classified", but from personal experience, Body Shop's Rainforest S&C for dry hair used to leave so much residue I sometimes regretted washing my hair. When I used the "normal hair" line, everything was fine.