PDA

View Full Version : Introducing myself (new member) + pics :)

MissK7
July 30th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Hey all! I'm a long time lurker and current new member. :D I've been growing my hair out for the last 2 years or so after an at home hair dye disaster wrecked it. I cut it into a chin length bob in May of 2012. Currently it is bra strap length and 100% artificial color free! Woohoo, I actually know what my natural color is now, after years of uncertainty, hehe! I'd like to eventually grow it to about waist length. It is a type 1c/F/iii

A little about me: I'm a student who is going into my senior year to finish a BA in Psychology while simultaneously starting my Master's in Developmental Psychopathology and I loveeeee what I study! I have a serious boyfriend of 4.5 years who is pretty much my fiancee in all ways but the ring (we are poor students). I'm the oldest of 5 children, all of which have a different combination of parents. And in case anyone cares, I'm a Myers-Briggs personality type ENFP (http://www.personalitypage.com/ENFP.html), and, according to Pottermore, a Hufflepuff (http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Hufflepuff). ;) ;) NERD ALERT!

Alright, alright, enough of my ridiculousness. Here are a few pics. They aren't the best, as I've never taken too many pictures specifically to showcase my hair, and unfortunately I have no suitable pics of it air dried (I have an addition to my blow dryer!). I'll try to get one another time.

Chin length, mid 2010, dyed dark auburn:
http://img.makeupalley.com/7/8/6/9/2292241.JPG

Current hair, 100% natural color. It's about bra strap length with lots of layers. This is after a blow out with a round brush:
http://img.makeupalley.com/7/8/6/9/2285576.JPG

Alright, now for you! Can I have a few introductions? Anyone share similar academic interests? Also, wondering if anyone else has struggled through growing out color treated hair only to be pleasantly surprised by their long forgotten natural color? Thanks a bunch for reading and adios!

MrsGuther
July 30th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Hello there MissK7! :)

moon2dove
July 30th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Welcome to the LHC !

I can't answer your question because I don't colour my hair. But I'm sure someone will though :)

Tota
July 30th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Hello and welcome! Wow your virgin hair is very pretty and so shiny! And it compliments your beautiful green eyes.

I also had quite a struggle with growing out my natural hair. I started dyeing my hair at 15 and stopped at 25. At 25 I had a turning point in my life when I decided to "go natural" in many ways, not just hair :) It took me 3 years to reach virgin BSL hair because of slow growth, much abuse and many scissor experiments (by scissor-happy stylists and by myself). With the help of TLHC I managed to achieve healthy scalp (after many years of scalp issues) and learned how to cope with my wild tangly hair :) After years of trying to find a dye that would suit me I fell in love in my natural colour and texture and had sworn to never dye again.

What else ... I'm from a small European country. I study linguistics and live with my bf and our furbaby Timmeh (see avatar) (ETA) who got his name after South Park character :) Nice to meet you!

jacqueline101
July 30th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Your hair is beautiful and I don't know about dying hair.

embee
July 30th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Welcome. :)

I can't answer about colors as I've not dyed my hair.

Cowgirl16
July 30th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Hello :waving: You and your hair are beautiful :flower:

LaurelSpring
July 30th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Welcome! Thanks for posting the great pics. You have awesome hair. I grew out my hair from color years ago. I had been using light brown on it for so long that I didnt know what color it really was. When I started growing it out my Mom kept complaining that I was coloring it too dark. I dont know how many times I had to explain to her that was my natural color. She wouldnt believe me!

I eventually started experimenting with henna due to the gray so now I am a henna head. I use a really natural mix though (mostly Cassia and catnip) so it just makes the silvers a dark blonde and it blends in nicely with the rest and just makes that shinier. I have been really happy with that.

amanda_the_tall
July 30th, 2012, 07:14 PM
can i just say, you're gorgeous?!
i too am growing out dye damage, the exact same color actually. so far i have about half permanently dyed, the other half semi permanent dyed, and about an inch of virgin roots. it's gonna take FOREVER to grow it out, but i giggled at work the other day to see all my shiny silvers back.

Anywhere
July 30th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Hello there. :wave: I'm trying to get a BA in psych (although I'll only be a sophomore this upcoming fall).
I'm an INFJ and a ravenclaw apparently. :p
I'm kind of growing out my natural hair, but right now it has a semi(or was it demi?) permanent color on it. Hoping it won't change my base natural color by much once it washes out. I like my natural color, but when the sun touches it, ahhhh! it gets too light for my tastes, unfortunately.

You've got some nice thick hair there. (I have thick hair envy :o)

I also really like your eyes, although I can't for the life of me place a color on them. If you don't mind me asking, are they light green, or a pale blue (or something completely different :p)?

MsBubbles
July 30th, 2012, 07:48 PM
I cut it into a chin length bob in May of 2012. Currently it is bra strap length and 100% artificial color free!

Also, wondering if anyone else has struggled through growing out color treated hair only to be pleasantly surprised by their long forgotten natural color? Thanks a bunch for reading and adios!

Hi and welcome. Don't you mean you cut it to chin length in 2010? Otherwise BSL now would be quite something :).

I am still growing out highlights, after about 3 years. There is a 'growing out your dye' thread around here somewhere, where you can read all the horror and success stories!

MissK7
July 31st, 2012, 02:16 PM
Awww, thanks so much ladies for the warm welcomes! <3

@ MrsGuther, moon2dove, jacqueline101, embee : Hi!! *waves* ;)

@ Tota: Your kitty is sooo cute! What color is your natural color that you came to love? And thank you for the compliment. :)

@ Cowgirl16: Thanks so much for the sweet comment! Nice meetin' ya. :)

@ LaurelSpring: Thanks and you are welcome. :D I will probably consider those types of options when my grays get bad. I'm 25 and have only found 2-3 so far, so... fingers crossed! ;)

@ kitten91: Thanks so much! It does take forever and is sooo painful. When my hair was about half colored and half natural I *almost* caved, but I'm so glad I didn't. Hang in there chica!

@ Anywhere (but here): Wow, awesome user name. :P INFJs/Ravenclaws are awesome. I'm so glad those comments weren't completely lost to everyone, haha. What subareas of psychology are you interested in and any idea what exactly you want to do with your degree? Thanks for the sweet comments. :D I'm not sure what color my eyes fall under either because I've had them called green, blue, and gray. On my DL I put down green because to me, they look like a very light green with a navy limbal ring. :)

@ MsBubbles: DOPE! You're totes right- I did mean 2010. Thanks for the thread rec!

Tota
July 31st, 2012, 02:26 PM
@ Tota: Your kitty is sooo cute! What color is your natural color that you came to love? And thank you for the compliment. :)

Thank you! It's blonette - not blonde, but not brunette. Some would call it dishwasher blonde :S In the summer it lightens in many different shades and looks as if I got highlights done at the best stylist ever lol. Seriously, I'm never dyeing again:D

You have some cute natural highlights going on too as I can see from your picture. Very nice;)

MissK7
July 31st, 2012, 03:35 PM
Thank you! It's blonette - not blonde, but not brunette. Some would call it dishwasher blonde :S In the summer it lightens in many different shades and looks as if I got highlights done at the best stylist ever lol. Seriously, I'm never dyeing again:D

You have some cute natural highlights going on too as I can see from your picture. Very nice;)

Thanks! That's the thing- when my natural color came in and stayed long enough to get some natural highlights I realized that I had been pretty much trying to dye my hair the color it already was naturally! lol! Your hair sounds so pretty. I love that color you describe. Do you have any pics?

vanillabones
July 31st, 2012, 03:39 PM
Hello! Welcome! You've got great hair and I like your color right now :D

jojo89
July 31st, 2012, 03:43 PM
Wow your natural color is so pretty! Mine is dirty blonde, blah! I have a color addiction so I won't be doing that anytime soon. Props to you and welcome.
P.S. your eye color is awesome :)

mallorykay13
July 31st, 2012, 03:51 PM
You are stunning. :love:

Sisgoldenhair65
July 31st, 2012, 04:04 PM
Welcome....and I love your natural highlights!

Tota
August 1st, 2012, 02:15 PM
Thanks! That's the thing- when my natural color came in and stayed long enough to get some natural highlights I realized that I had been pretty much trying to dye my hair the color it already was naturally! lol! Your hair sounds so pretty. I love that color you describe. Do you have any pics?

I have lots of pics in my album and my blog posts but I guess you can't see them yet. The thing is that my hair colour looks different on every picture - it depends on the light and season. Maybe something like this:

http://shrani.si/f/1B/p2/4HUiGC2c/dsc01381.jpg

After dyeing for 10+ years you really forget what your natural colour looks like. The good thing is that you can be pleasantly surprised when you finally decide to go virgin ;) Happy growing!

Boucles d'or
August 1st, 2012, 02:25 PM
Welcome! Love your hair!

snowtale
August 2nd, 2012, 02:55 AM
Welcome! You're very pretty :)