PDA

View Full Version : ColorOops help?

iSuperHeroic
July 30th, 2012, 10:10 AM
So I've ColorOops'd my hair about a week ago and it went from black to a medium brown(which is good).

Only problem is that it's darkened a bit being more of a dark chocolaty brown, which is still too dark for me. Even though I spent a good 40 minutes rinsing my hair. So I just went and bought another box I'm going to use soon.

It said to use a protein treatment on my hair to keep it from getting porous, but I don't have the money to buy one.
What are some protein treatments I can make at home?(Preferably things that are generally in every household like eggs, milk, etc.).

And two, are there ways I can prevent it from darkening again? The first time I did this I rinsed and washed my hair 20 minutes longer than advised yet it still darkened a little.

Thank you!

jojo89
July 30th, 2012, 10:51 AM
I've used Coloroops before and it was terrible-I would NOT recommend it. You are much better off using bleach mixed with 20 volume developer which is less harsh/damaging than the higher developers. It process slowly so you'll get more predictable results. Leave it on for 45 mins. or until you've reached your desired level? What level are you trying to achieve?
As far as at home protein treatments, egg and mayonnaise are popular. I have used egg and other protein treatments and they don't agree with my hair-makes it hard and tangly but everyone is different. Good luck!

pink.sara
July 30th, 2012, 11:08 AM
I've used Coloroops before and it was terrible-I would NOT recommend it. You are much better off using bleach mixed with 20 volume developer which is less harsh/damaging than the higher developers. It process slowly so you'll get more predictable results. Leave it on for 45 mins. or until you've reached your desired level? What level are you trying to achieve?
As far as at home protein treatments, egg and mayonnaise are popular. I have used egg and other protein treatments and they don't agree with my hair-makes it hard and tangly but everyone is different. Good luck!

No offence intended to the above poster but please ignore this advice completely.

Bleach would take your hair through the red-ginger spectrum now it is already brown. And damage it.

Sometimes, particularly with black it will redarken. You could go up to 3 applications of the oops before you'd have to leave your hair to recover.

As for protein, eggs applied raw help, but I have used full fat mayo before with decent results, the 2 best protein treatments ever are joico K-pak reconstructor and aphogee 2 step if you were able to buy one.

iSuperHeroic
July 30th, 2012, 11:27 AM
I'm trying my hardest not to bleach my hair. I used to be the, "when it doubt, bleach it out," type of person and I eventually had to cut my BSL hair to above SDL because it was so damaged. I also didn't know much about actually caring for my hair either though.

I've gotten okay-enough results with ColorOops to be willing to try it again. I just don't want it to redarken again. I'm trying to go as light as I can, without frying my hair, so I can dye it red and have it be vibrant.

I don't know, after I Color Oops it again and it still doesn't work I MIGHT bleach it.

pink.sara
July 30th, 2012, 11:51 AM
I'm trying my hardest not to bleach my hair. I used to be the, "when it doubt, bleach it out," type of person and I eventually had to cut my BSL hair to above SDL because it was so damaged. I also didn't know much about actually caring for my hair either though.

I've gotten okay-enough results with ColorOops to be willing to try it again. I just don't want it to redarken again. I'm trying to go as light as I can, without frying my hair, so I can dye it red and have it be vibrant.

I don't know, after I Color Oops it again and it still doesn't work I MIGHT bleach it.

Ahh, had thought you were trying to go natural.

I colour oopsed 4 times and bleached once (and used a diluted soap cap bleaching a few times) to get from black to my red.

It depends on how light your natural hair is then. Good luck with the second round.

jojo89
July 30th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Pink.sara.- None taken :) That is why I asked what level she was trying to achieve because if she was going blonde, there would be no choice but to go through the red spectrum. If your hair is in good enough shape why not just do both =p haha but in all seriousness, you're the only one who knows what condition your hair is in so just use good judgement.
P.S. I love the aphogee 2 step treatment, you can get it at Sally's.

iSuperHeroic
July 30th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Pink.sara.- None taken :) That is why I asked what level she was trying to achieve because if she was going blonde, there would be no choice but to go through the red spectrum. If your hair is in good enough shape why not just do both =p haha but in all seriousness, you're the only one who knows what condition your hair is in so just use good judgement.
P.S. I love the aphogee 2 step treatment, you can get it at Sally's.

Nah, I'm not trying to go blonde, just the lightest color I can get(or my natural color) with Color Oops. I've been trying to get this black out of my hair for months.

I might bleach it as well, but I'm scared to do it at home. Right now I can't really afford to spend 200$ on my hair at a salon :(

akilina
July 30th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Nah, I'm not trying to go blonde, just the lightest color I can get(or my natural color) with Color Oops. I've been trying to get this black out of my hair for months.

I might bleach it as well, but I'm scared to do it at home. Right now I can't really afford to spend 200$ on my hair at a salon :(
It wouldn't cost you 200 dollars. You can always shop around for the right salon if you are not comfortable. See what prices they all offer. I know Super Cuts does color now too. That would be your best bet for not paying as much as in a locally owned salon.
I would not suggest a solid bleach but possibly after color oops, do a soap cap as pink.sara suggested. I almost wonder if using a soap cap after color oops would help it from NOT getting dark again.
I am glad she chimed in. She knows so much about it! :]

iSuperHeroic
July 30th, 2012, 05:06 PM
It wouldn't cost you 200 dollars. You can always shop around for the right salon if you are not comfortable. See what prices they all offer. I know Super Cuts does color now too. That would be your best bet for not paying as much as in a locally owned salon.
I would not suggest a solid bleach but possibly after color oops, do a soap cap as pink.sara suggested. I almost wonder if using a soap cap after color oops would help it from NOT getting dark again.
I am glad she chimed in. She knows so much about it! :]

I was exaggerating, LOL.

I'm also curious about the soap cap. I don't know much about those though, do you buy them or make them??

akilina
July 30th, 2012, 05:22 PM
I was exaggerating, LOL.

I'm also curious about the soap cap. I don't know much about those though, do you buy them or make them??
No. You buy some powder bleach, and some developer. I would use 10. I am sure someone else would recommend something else but, whatever.
Mix the two in with shampoo and apply it to your hair sort of like you would use shampoo if you were applying it to your length. Let it sit for a while and watch it. Perhaps use a protein treatment after.

pink.sara
July 31st, 2012, 06:47 AM
No. You buy some powder bleach, and some developer. I would use 10. I am sure someone else would recommend something else but, whatever.
Mix the two in with shampoo and apply it to your hair sort of like you would use shampoo if you were applying it to your length. Let it sit for a while and watch it. Perhaps use a protein treatment after.

I usually mixed 10 volume developer with a blue powder bleach and then the same amount again of a clear shampoo. But that was after the colour oops to get my hair into the ginger spectrum to allow the red to be this bright.

I smother it on all over smoosh it in and put it under a plastic cap, check every 3-5 minutes as it may start to process fast. You can leave this on for up to an hour if you need but any longer wont be effective. It should lift your hair between 1-3 shades depending on condition and porosity.

And I agree in def buying a good protein treatment after. :)

jojo89
July 31st, 2012, 08:49 AM
Such good suggestions! I've never done the soap cap but have thought about it several times, just always been too scared it would be splotchy and uneven. After the protein treatment, it is good to use a moisturizing treatment as well since protein, bleach & coloroops all dry the hair out. Let us know what you end up doing. I'd love to see how it turns out. If you have a Sally's Beauty Supply where you live, they have plenty of affordable treatments there. And actually bleaching in a salon can cost around $200. I know of salons that consider that a "color correction" and start the price off over $100. I have friends that are cosmetologist and nothing pisses them off more than having to fix someone's at home mistakes. Good luck my dear!

jojo89
July 31st, 2012, 08:50 AM
P.S. I've been every color but black. It is impossible to get out as most of you know. Don't do it again cuz trying to get it out of your hair will wreck it even worse than being blonde.

pink.sara
July 31st, 2012, 09:03 AM
P.S. I've been every color but black. It is impossible to get out as most of you know. Don't do it again cuz trying to get it out of your hair will wreck it even worse than being blonde.

Mild hijack,

I remove black every summer... and go back every winter... it's do-able without ruining your hair, you just have to go very slowly :)

End hijack.

jojo
July 31st, 2012, 09:09 AM

No offence intended to the above poster but please ignore this advice completely.

Bleach would take your hair through the red-ginger spectrum now it is already brown. And damage it.

Sometimes, particularly with black it will redarken. You could go up to 3 applications of the oops before you'd have to leave your hair to recover.

As for protein, eggs applied raw help, but I have used full fat mayo before with decent results, the 2 best protein treatments ever are joico K-pak reconstructor and aphogee 2 step if you were able to buy one.
Agree totally with pink Sara, color oops or colour b4 is not a little bit harming to the hair, I've used it plenty and NEVER had no damage, I know you won't use bleach, man that would melt your hair. Try another round of color pops or maybe get some vitamin c the crystals are better mix a few tablespoons in some baby shampoo and leave on your hair for a good hour, then rinse and condition well, it's brilliant at drawing dye from hair. You may never get to your natural colour but you can fade it to a more acceptable shade for you:)

jojo
July 31st, 2012, 09:12 AM

It's not always impossible as long as you don't expect immediate results, of I managed to get indigo out which is far worse than black dye, it is achievable to remove black.

Also to the op honey treatments with help lighten it slightly, it will take quite a few goes as for protein slop some mayo on!

Calaelen
July 31st, 2012, 09:50 AM
Colour oops can get hair back to blonde if that is the natural colour. Op wants it brown it seems.
This is totally achievable with the colour oops, and one more application would probably do it..

I do not recommend bleaching it, but if it does come to that, I really do have to aqdvise going to a stylist for it, especially after using the colour oops. Bleach is tricky to use on your own.

jojo89
July 31st, 2012, 10:01 AM
Jojo- I wasn't speaking literally. Obviously it isn't "impossible" to get black out. I was just trying to stress how difficult and long of a process it is. I'm just saying that if you want to go black and don't plan on staying black for awhile, it is not worth the damage getting the black out. Geez you people take me so seriously!! =p

iSuperHeroic
July 31st, 2012, 10:09 AM

The dye was actually a dark brown, haha. I guess my hair grabbed onto it better than I thought it would and turned it black. I dyed it "brown" in February and have done EVERYTHING I can to fade the color(with the exclusion of bleach), and it just didn't work. My light brown roots are killing me though, but I refuse to dye it a dark color again.

jojo89
July 31st, 2012, 10:21 AM
iSuperHeroic, I've been there girl..too many times. I color my hair a medium brown-it turns dark brown. My hair always takes darker esp if I use a demi-permanent color. Maybe we have porous hair..? EEk =p I understand not wanting to use bleach. It should only be used if you know what you're doing and if your hair is in good shape. It is not as evil as people think. It is the only product that can get the job done in some cases. Since you aren't going blonde. Bleach or Coloroops to the appropriate level and then color it the tone you want.

jojo89
July 31st, 2012, 10:22 AM
To disguise your roots, you could try wearing it curly, wearing it up, or do a messy or zigzag part so that it won't be a perfect line of demarcation.

iSuperHeroic
July 31st, 2012, 01:04 PM
To disguise your roots, you could try wearing it curly, wearing it up, or do a messy or zigzag part so that it won't be a perfect line of demarcation.

I just kind of put it in a messy bun, LOL. I don't want to use heat on my hair all the time

jojo89
July 31st, 2012, 01:10 PM
hey nothin wrong with that. mine has been in a messy bun for 2 days now :)