PDA

View Full Version : Oh no! my poor hair :(

Kaelee
July 30th, 2012, 09:48 AM
So I had my hair in a flipped bun with my fork, and it felt tight (I can NOT manage to do an updo without it being too tight!) but then it was a little better so I left it. It was only in for an hour or so.

When I pulled out my fork and combed my hair, a whole handful of hair came out! I think when I put the fork in I yanked the hairs out by the roots!!!!!

My hair is thick so I don't think I did too much damage, and I have been shedding a LOT less than usual anyway but dangit!

I'm sad. :(

Demi-Plum
July 30th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Oh ouch! That sounds so painful. Maybe you should try doing buns that are less tight to begin with. My siggy shows the knot bun which holds really well but it's actually quite lose. You can find a tutorial here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiGTXkUhFKE&feature=plcp).

ratgirldjh
July 30th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Ouch! That sucks! Sorry :(

Watch out for this! For a long time I was putting my hair up in a twisted bun a lot and then pinning it with a hair stick or big hair pin. It worked well and stayed up great - but it would always be tight in the front.

At first I liked this because it seemed to make me look younger (lol). But then I noticed that it was putting stress on certain hairs over and over and I noticed some of them coming out when I would take my bun down.

Now I can see that this area has thinned slightly from my years of doing this and I have started making sure that my buns are loose and don't put stress on hairs anywhere. Now I'm seeing baby hairs growing in the thinning spot and this makes me feel better.

Be careful of too tight buns or up-dos!

Kaelee
July 30th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Yea, my hair is short enough that making them loose is really hard! Plus my hair was wet which makes it even more impossible to get it up loosely!

Demi-Plum
July 30th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Oh yes that does make everything super tight no matter how lose you try to make it. I would do a search on loose buns for APL length. I'm always looking for interesting buns to throw mine up in

Amber_Maiden
July 30th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Try not to get too obsessed with shed hair. Things happen.

Cowgirl16
July 30th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Oh ouch! That sounds so painful. Maybe you should try doing buns that are less tight to begin with. My siggy shows the knot bun which holds really well but it's actually quite lose. You can find a tutorial here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiGTXkUhFKE&feature=plcp).

Thank you for the link! I have been stuck in a Nautilus Bun rut for a while. :flower:
end hijack

Kaelee
July 30th, 2012, 10:43 AM
It looks like my hair is wayyy too short of a knot bun, unfortunately. :( It's also really thick, that doesn't help at all either.

Demi-Plum
July 30th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Thank you for the link! I have been stuck in a Nautilus Bun rut for a while. :flower:
end hijack
Haha no problem! I was using that one a lot before I got my fork. All I had were hair chopsticks so I didn't need a new bun. When I got my fork I had to find a new bun to do. Now I like to look for whatever I can find. I use Torrin's Minotaur Bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SR1TMSt45U&feature=plcp) to hold my Glass Jellyfish stick because my hair is too slick to hold it without a pony base and bobbies.

Madora
July 30th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Perhaps you could try this to get away from the tight hair situation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

afu
July 30th, 2012, 12:41 PM
I agree with the knot bun suggestion, however my hair is just about at waist and I can only just do it on pretty fine hair. I know how you feel, im currently having trouble with bun tension - always too tight or loose lately for some strange reason! How about just a cinnabun - mine never come out particularly tight

Panth
July 30th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Try not to get too obsessed with shed hair. Things happen.

This.

Also, did the shed hair have root bulbs on it? Because if not, you didn't pull it out, it shed out.

As for how to deal with the tight bun issue, perhaps do double buns (i.e two separate buns). Or could you try the method where you do a half up, bun it, then wrap the remaining hair around the bun you've just made.

MrsGuther
July 30th, 2012, 01:12 PM
So I had my hair in a flipped bun with my fork, and it felt tight (I can NOT manage to do an updo without it being too tight!) but then it was a little better so I left it. It was only in for an hour or so.

When I pulled out my fork and combed my hair, a whole handful of hair came out! I think when I put the fork in I yanked the hairs out by the roots!!!!!

My hair is thick so I don't think I did too much damage, and I have been shedding a LOT less than usual anyway but dangit!

I'm sad. :(

Oh no!! :( sorry that happened!

Kaelee
July 30th, 2012, 10:12 PM
This.

Also, did the shed hair have root bulbs on it? Because if not, you didn't pull it out, it shed out.

As for how to deal with the tight bun issue, perhaps do double buns (i.e two separate buns). Or could you try the method where you do a half up, bun it, then wrap the remaining hair around the bun you've just made.

It was definitely pulled out.

Even my sheds seem to have small root bulbs though.

I like the half-up idea! I do something similar with ponytails. I'll give that a try tomorrow, thanks!

jojo
July 31st, 2012, 02:43 AM
Ouch! Maybe wait a few more months before attempting using sticks and forks. I know for me I was bsl until I could wear one comfortably, too tight can cause traction alopecia, it's not worth it, plus the are lots of ouch less styles you can do at your length without the use of sticks and forks. I actually miss my twisted fountain updo.

AnnaB
July 31st, 2012, 03:37 AM
:( poor hair

we all learn from our mistakes so don't worry about it to much :p

Kaelee
July 31st, 2012, 09:06 AM
I tried the half-up bun and wrap the hair around, I put the bun up with a ketylo and secured the rest with one spin pin. It was a little messy (I did it quick last night) but it seemed secure and very comfortable!

Bene
July 31st, 2012, 09:10 AM
Tight, hair yanking, owie buns means you're either trying a bun that requires more length than you have or you're pulling too much in the early process of the bun making. For the first problem, try a bun that doesn't need that much length. At APL, there are plenty of buns that shouldn't cause to much of a problem. For the other problem, ease up a little.

If it don't fit, don't force it :D

lunalocks
July 31st, 2012, 09:30 AM
Putting wet hair up in a bun stressed my hairs and I had major breakage. My bun wasn't even tight, but the bun pulling against my scalp stressed the fragile wet hairs. So be careful with wet bunning.

Kaelee
July 31st, 2012, 09:33 AM
Tight, hair yanking, owie buns means you're either trying a bun that requires more length than you have or you're pulling too much in the early process of the bun making. For the first problem, try a bun that doesn't need that much length. At APL, there are plenty of buns that shouldn't cause to much of a problem. For the other problem, ease up a little.

If it don't fit, don't force it :D

Which ones do you suggest for APL hair? I haven't found many that work unfortunately. I can't do a lazy wrap, my hair is way too thick for that even using the two finger method!

Bene
July 31st, 2012, 09:42 AM
Any messy bun variation. Peacock. There's this one bun I used to wear with a pencil, long before I knew what bunning was, but I couldn't know how to describe it :laugh: Just experiment. One thing I found that worked when I had shorter hair was to make a bun by starting with a half-up, then wrap the other half (the rest of the hair) around the base of the bun, secure with any hair toy.

Just tried doubling my hair in half, to mimic your length (shorter than your length) and to double my circumference. A half cinnamon bun thingy seems to hold up well. Twist the length, wrap around as far as it'll go, even if it's just a partial round. Imagine the twisted hair wraps into a C-shape. Poke a stick through the top of the C, all the way through to the bottom of it. That holds up.

Gonna try to catch a picture of this thing. Mind you, I'm only half-assing it, but you can work on making it neater if it's something that interests you.

ETA:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/bene25/hair/shorterthicker1.jpg

There you go, shorter hair, and more than twice as thick as my normal circumference, since I folded it up a few times. I'm on the upper end of the ii spectrum, so that should give you an idea. The point of bunning is to have one solid entry point, and one solid exit point. The bun really doesn't matter as long as you have the basics down.

Experiment with buns, and try out things that aren't exactly identified/named buns. Something will work for you.

Kaelee
July 31st, 2012, 09:38 PM
Thank you! I'm trying to get this to work now, experimenting with a Ketylo. :)