PDA

View Full Version : what does really help for thickening your hair?

nightwish90
July 30th, 2012, 03:04 AM
well i have normally a pretty big problem with hair shedding... i shed pretty much...around 100 hairs every day...from what i'm reading it's still considered normal but it's the upper limit... and considering that i don't have very thick hair anyways 100 hairs are an important percent of my hair for losing it daily. for this reason my hair is beautiful only when it's short. i've tried to take care of my hair a lot more than before joining this forum, but it continued shedding around the limit...

and now after joining this forum and I really started wishing more and more thicker hair, I've contracted Stevens Johnson Syndrome (a strong allergic reaction to ibuprofen) and in only one week I lost 0.5 inches of circumference... :( i was happy because my hair was the only long term effect of the illness, but my hair looks bad now and my ponytail got so thin :(( it's just 0.5 but you really notice the difference for my less than 3 inches i had before

what can i do to help my hair thicken back? and in general what does really help to reduce shedding or isn't too much you can do about it?

i would be really happy to learn from your experience, did you manage thickening your hair by changing something in your hair routine or lifestyle?

MissAlida
July 30th, 2012, 07:17 AM
I have been battling shedding for more than 2 years. The only thing that helped were microtrims. My hair looks ok at APL but the ends get thin and ugly when they reach BSL. I have managed to make my ends thicker by trimming them, but for this reason, I haven't made any progress lenghtwise. It's a sad business, honestly. Now I'm preparing to go and get my thyroid checked. Excessive hair shedding can be a symptom of hipothyroidism. You could try taking hair supplements, and drinking rooibos. I tried these, but they didn't change a thing. Maybe you'll get lucky.:)

justgreen
July 30th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Sebastian Volume Conditioner and 'S' Factor Heat protectant leave-in by Tigi. The Sebastian is discontinued but can still be found on ebay. The 'S' Factor you must by from a stylist.

Vampyria
July 30th, 2012, 08:41 AM
My thickness increased a lot when it stopped dyeing and heat styling my hair, and started taking supplements (ground millet, nutritional yeast).

I know how you fell. My hair is still recovering from the last shed, and now it started again a couple of months ago. It's not as bad as it was though. I think that 100 hairs a day is a lot. I lose sometimes less, sometimes more a day, and I have also lost half an inch of thickness already.

I started taking MSM now, because I heard it can help reduce shedding, but it's a bit to soon to tell if it works. I hope you find something that works.

DancingQueen
July 30th, 2012, 09:20 AM
I have always had a lot of shedding, and lost a lot in thickness during the last year. I haven't found anything so fart that helps (although very gentle combing/handling of the hair.)

But I just started a Priorin experiment to thicken it back up. It is a product based on natural products, and made for people suffering from temporary hair loss by speeding growth and shed less. I have only been taking it for a few days, so I don't have any results for you yet. But a lot of reviews state that it works. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Priorin-Hair-Growth-Regrowth-treatment-60-caps-Anti-Hair-Loss-Strong-and-Beauty-/320896572570?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab6ed1c9a#ht_2148wt_1284

LesMills
July 30th, 2012, 12:09 PM
One really good thickening product is Tigi Love, Peace & The Planet Freak of Nature Volumizer & Thickener. I use it in my roots in damp hair and then blow dry my hair with ceramic round brush. You only need a small drop of this product, and it doesn't make your hair greasy as long as you don't use too much of it.

I don't know about supplements, but getting nutrients from healthy food, enough water and exercise have made a huge difference in my hair.

Panth
July 30th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Gentle handling. In particular, no "angry brushing" and ideally no brushing at all just combing with a wide toothed comb or finger combing.

Also, minimal ponytails and no tightening the ponytail by pushing the band upwards.

Basically, you need to minimise every other route to thickness loss, a major one of which is everyday handling-derived damage. If you are also concerned about taper then regular trims may reduce this by keeping your "sprinting" speedy-growing hairs in check and letting the slower-growing ones catch up with the sprinting ones, resulting in a more even hemline. Of course, this results in slower length-gain.