PDA

View Full Version : I want to lighten my hair so bad!

lolot
July 29th, 2012, 10:32 PM
I used to dye my hair, and yes i still have some damage in my ends, but the problem is that my roots are dark and my ends lighter, i want a change and i dont want to cut my hair so im in an urge to dye but i know is bad, i dont know what to do!
Is there a way to dye it without so much damage or should i quit my desire to dye it?

akilina
July 29th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Geez. I hate this dilemma :(! I forced myself to not be able to do any of these things by using henna.
Maybe you need a hair spa day, or evening. I know a hair cut is not really want you want, but maybe a small trim to get some of the damaged ends off.

So are you wanting to lighten your roots? How long are the roots?

lmfbs
July 29th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Maybe try honey lightning? I'm considering it to make my henna brighter - I'm sorry that I don't know much about it yet, but from what I understand it's slow, but not so damaging.

lolot
July 29th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Thanks for your answers !
@akilina i already cut my bangs and trimmed my hair, but i still want to dye it! My roots are like 2 or 3 inches long.
@lmfbs I already used honey but it doesnt work on my virgin hair only on the dyed parts

pepperminttea
July 29th, 2012, 11:28 PM
If you do decide to lighten it, you could pre-soak heavily with coconut oil first, some have found that reduces the damage. If you're trying to grow out your natural colour though, perhaps it'd be worth having the demarcation line blended to make it a bit more subtle, so it looks like it's deliberately ombre? :)

lolot
July 30th, 2012, 01:01 AM
If you do decide to lighten it, you could pre-soak heavily with coconut oil first, some have found that reduces the damage. If you're trying to grow out your natural colour though, perhaps it'd be worth having the demarcation line blended to make it a bit more subtle, so it looks like it's deliberately ombre? :)

Thats an excellent idea, thank you ver much :D

Angelus
July 30th, 2012, 01:11 AM
Have you considered embracing your natural hair color? I understand that we always want what we can't have, as did I for many years. ;P But how about dying your whole head with something very close to your natural color? That would at least be less damaging than bleaching and also, maybe you wouldn't have to dye as frequently, or ever after that!

misspurdy06
July 30th, 2012, 01:18 AM
use a demi dye to darken your ends a little. non permanent no commitment no damage.

lolot
July 30th, 2012, 02:11 AM
Have you considered embracing your natural hair color? I understand that we always want what we can't have, as did I for many years. ;P But how about dying your whole head with something very close to your natural color? That would at least be less damaging than bleaching and also, maybe you wouldn't have to dye as frequently, or ever after that!

I know its better but my natural color is very boring and i tried to embrace it but everyone always tell me i look better with a lighter color, i spend months with out dying but always return because i feel i look boring and flat. And now im having that urge again :rolleyes:

lolot
July 30th, 2012, 02:14 AM
use a demi dye to darken your ends a little. non permanent no commitment no damage.

My hair doesnt hold demi dyes, it has to be something about porosity i think, but ive tried without success, thnks

blondie9912
July 30th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Hair twins!! :D I would say just try your best to give up the temptation. It's tough, believe me, I know. But bleached hair (even if it feels in damaged at first) has a much lower tolerance for any heat styling/mechanical damage, and it WILL eventually start breaking and splitting off. It's happened countless times to me, and I've come to the conclusion that fine hair doesn't like to be bleached. Look into honey lightening, I've done it a few times and gotten good results :) Hang in there!

akilina
July 30th, 2012, 10:04 PM
I am sort of on the fence. My bad side says "Bleach it!!!"
I am a natural blond but have not see it in years and years.
Last year when I was super platinum blonde....my hair was the healthiest its been in a long time. It felt really great. It was in very good condition. Yes, with regular monthly bleaching and toning every few weeks.
I know bleaching isn't the healthiest thing to do, yet I don't really see the problem in using bleach and 10 volume developer on your roots. Bleaching responsibly is key.
I don't know how dark your roots are, but generally, 10 volume WILL do the trick, perfectly ;)

justgreen
July 30th, 2012, 10:44 PM
My hairdresser brushes conditioner on the length of each foil, before she thinly brushes bleach (30vol) on the roots only.

lolot
July 30th, 2012, 11:04 PM
thanks for your replys!

But i have to share this with you.

I did it and it was bad... everything went wrong.

I heavy oil my hair yesterday, but i used mineral oil, big mistake :rolleyes: ... I put the dye on and waited when i got in the shower a sticky paste like glue was all over my hair, i couldnt get it out, it was like a white wax :(

so i put shampoo and it didnt work, so i had to hold strands of my hair and wash them for a long period with a harsh shampoo, then i rinsed and again shampoo the sticky paste was less but it was still there, so i had to do an avc rinse, then conditioner, my hair has still some of it, but the worst part is that my hair looks kind of purple, not what i wanted and it feels dry, is broken and still sticky.

Im sad, i think i make a big mistake and life gave me a bad lesson with this experience, i have been taking care for my hair a lot and i feel i just screw everything.

I just did this because tomorrow i have a date and i wanted to feel good, now i have purple, sticky, dry and horrible hair :(, i think ill have to wear a hat with 30 degrees out there, this suck really bad!! shudder:

woolyleprechaun
July 30th, 2012, 11:51 PM
thanks for your replys!

I heavy oil my hair yesterday, but i used mineral oil, big mistake :rolleyes: ... I put the dye on and waited when i got in the shower a sticky paste like glue was all over my hair, i couldnt get it out, it was like a white wax :(

so i put shampoo and it didnt work, so i had to hold strands of my hair and wash them for a long period with a harsh shampoo, then i rinsed and again shampoo the sticky paste was less but it was still there, so i had to do an avc rinse, then conditioner, my hair has still some of it, but the worst part is that my hair looks kind of purple, not what i wanted and it feels dry, is broken and still sticky.

Im sad, i think i make a big mistake and life gave me a bad lesson with this experience, i have been taking care for my hair a lot and i feel i just screw everything.

I just did this because tomorrow i have a date and i wanted to feel good, now i have purple, sticky, dry and horrible hair :(, i think ill have to wear a hat with 30 degrees out there, this suck really bad!! shudder:
Arrrrgh! Im so sorry! I was going to suggest lemon juice lightening, or even something more risky like Sun In. I havent got a clue what to say about your recent mishap. Try slathering your hair with a thick, rich conditioner (not oil or anything, you dont need another wash-out misery) and leaving it on for hours before rinsing. Why did it go purple? What dye did you use?

lolot
July 31st, 2012, 01:14 AM
Arrrrgh! Im so sorry! I was going to suggest lemon juice lightening, or even something more risky like Sun In. I havent got a clue what to say about your recent mishap. Try slathering your hair with a thick, rich conditioner (not oil or anything, you dont need another wash-out misery) and leaving it on for hours before rinsing. Why did it go purple? What dye did you use?

I put some aussi 3 minute miracle for 1 hour and half and is softer but is still a bit sticky, i think a chemical reaction went on because that sticky wax have never happen to me before but i dont know, im going to check if someone has gotten the same result with baby oil.
I used a Loreal Preference with some Vo5 on it.
Im resigning with the color but im scared of future damage

akilina
July 31st, 2012, 12:23 PM
thanks for your replys!

Do you use permanent color to do your roots? Or bleach?
Thats awful! Do you think the mineral oil had something to do with it at all? I really don't know what to say. I wish I knew.
I don't know if mineral oil is natural, or synthetic, I don't know much about that particular oil. Hopefully it is in order by the time of your date! That is just so odd.

jojo89
July 31st, 2012, 01:07 PM
I second what akilina says about bleaching responsibly is key. I'm very blonde, not quite bleach blonde. I use a hi-lift color instead of bleach and it is awesome. I have fine hair and it's safe for me so you'd be fine as long as you use a 20 volume developer with it just on roots. If you don't know, hi-lift is blonder than level 10 and almost bleach blonde just a little less harsh. Mine is a level 12P, the p stands for violet-blue undertones which counteract golden/orange tones that a lot of blondes have trouble with.

earthnut
July 31st, 2012, 01:08 PM
I'd preoil with coconut oil. I've been experimenting with bleaching my ends, and I've been preoiling with coconut oil and have seen no damage to my hair. If you can't use coconut oil, argan, babassu, and palm kernel oils have similar properties and would probably work just as well. See this thread for more info: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10495

I'd consider doing highlights, at varying elevations, so that your hair gets lightened, but you don't need to keep up with roots to keep it looking good.

Also, consider that people comment on things that are new, different, and remind them of celebrities. Just because people don't comment on your natural hair color, doesn't mean it's bad. It just means it's normal and the bleaching catches their attention because it's different.

earthnut
July 31st, 2012, 01:11 PM

Oh dear. Yes, I don't think mineral oil would work. The reason coconut oil works is that it's made up of short chain saturated fatty acids that penetrate the hair shaft and bind to proteins. Mineral oil is made of hydrocarbons and don't do either of those things, it just sits on top of the hair. I hope your hair is back to normal soon!

I'd clarify (if you don't think you've clarified enough already) and do some deep treatments: protein treatment, deep conditioning and/or deep oiling with a nice penetrating oil like coconut oil, to strengthen your hair back up. :flower:

jojo89
July 31st, 2012, 02:43 PM
forgot to say- one time I mixed oil with bleach and the bowl started smoking and got extremely hot. I read on killerstrands.com blog about oil bleaches and decided to make my own. talk about a scary chemical reaction, imagine what it would have done to my hair. yikess!!

earthnut
July 31st, 2012, 03:12 PM
forgot to say- one time I mixed oil with bleach and the bowl started smoking and got extremely hot. I read on killerstrands.com blog about oil bleaches and decided to make my own. talk about a scary chemical reaction, imagine what it would have done to my hair. yikess!!

Oh! That sounds scary! I always apply them separately, and cold.

jojo89
July 31st, 2012, 10:23 PM
lol it was scary, I rinsed the bowl immediately. I hate wasting but there was no way I was putting scolding bleach on my head!