PDA

View Full Version : The OFFICIAL Transitioning Support Group!!!

rock007junkie
July 29th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Are any of you ladies trying to grow your hair out while transitioning from perms/relaxer/bleach/haircolor to virgin hair? This is our place to complain and support each other. It can be frustrating trying to have your hair grow but at the same time having the need to constantly trim it to get rid of the damaged hair.

I've been transitioning from a relaxer for the past 19 months. I joined the non-trimming club for 6 months but had to drop it because I noticed that my ends were significantly thinner than my virgin hair. So I went back to regular trimmings ( one inch every two months). During those 6 months my hair grew a lot. It's just annoying now going back to cutting but also kind of refreshing seeing that my hair is looking better and better every time I trim. Can't wait until all of my hair is natural.

MoonlightShadow
July 29th, 2012, 07:48 PM
I can't wait til all my hair is natural too :/ I hate dealing with two different textures

rock007junkie
July 29th, 2012, 07:54 PM
I can't wait til all my hair is natural too :/ I hate dealing with two different textures

Welcome !!!

Are you transitioning from a relaxer as well?

akilina
July 29th, 2012, 08:13 PM
I am working on growing out an undercut >.< Not sure if that goes under your qualifications, but complaining is always nice eh?

I am also using henna on my hair possibly in hopes that someday my hair will be all virgin color-underneath that henna.
Many have removed henna with great success, so maybe I will. I guess it depends on how I am feeling at that time lol.

Its on the worst side of my head. My right side- which is my "dominant" side.
This transition is horrible! It looks like I have a super whack haircut.

rock007junkie
July 29th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Ouch! I totally feel for you. I could imagine growing an undercut to be a huge pain. Hang in there

battles
July 29th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Growing out henna. I've got about 2.5 inches of roots, but luckily the demarcation line isn't super noticeable until I go in the sun. I thought henna was really pretty until it was on my own head, and now it just looks really unnatural to me.

SerinaDaith
July 29th, 2012, 08:34 PM
I am growing out black dye which is covering whatever was left of my last bleach job, I have about three inches of natural color right now thankfully my natural color is a fairly dark mouse brown with some silver dusted all over the top of my head. My hair is just brushing the tops of my shoulders now and I have a constant debate with myself on when I want to start trimming and how aggressive I want to be about it. I really want my hair to be long enough to pull back and part of me just wants to let it grow and let my biannual trims and s&d to be what slowly takes it out. I want so badly to bedone with the dramatic chops!

DaniVerde
July 29th, 2012, 09:23 PM
I'm in! I'm transitioning from a relaxer...my last full-on relaxer was in early July 2011, and I had a Brazilian Keratin treatment in early November 2011. Since then, it's been "Bring on the curls!" :p

lauren_n
July 30th, 2012, 02:44 AM
growing out bleach/dye damage. The last time I bleached to the roots was mid may, and I have since bleached the already bleached bits (all hair excluding the virgin regrowth) so that it'd be light enough to dye pink while I'm growing it out (the last colour faded to an awful patchy muddy colour)
I'm going to continue dying the pink parts with the pink veggie dye just to keep it looking good until my roots get long, and I will henndigo the dyed bits in time for my school ball next year. The virgin hair will remain untouched from now on :) After 2.5 months of growth I have roots that are up to 1.5 inches long (but quite a bit shorter in other areas) and an extra inch or so of hair that the pink has faded out of, so it's bleached but not too much lighter than my natural hair. I'm super excited for the extra thickness and health that I will (hopefully) gain :)

rock007junkie
July 30th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Growing out henna. I've got about 2.5 inches of roots, but luckily the demarcation line isn't super noticeable until I go in the sun. I thought henna was really pretty until it was on my own head, and now it just looks really unnatural to me.

Henna can be a problem. I started doing henna a while ago. The problem was I was doing it too often and it was loosening my curls. I'm only doing it now once every 3 months or so to cover greys

I am growing out black dye which is covering whatever was left of my last bleach job, I have about three inches of natural color right now thankfully my natural color is a fairly dark mouse brown with some silver dusted all over the top of my head. My hair is just brushing the tops of my shoulders now and I have a constant debate with myself on when I want to start trimming and how aggressive I want to be about it. I really want my hair to be long enough to pull back and part of me just wants to let it grow and let my biannual trims and s&d to be what slowly takes it out. I want so badly to bedone with the dramatic chops!

I know how you feel. Don't make any rash decisions that you may end up regreting though. It's better to cut a little bit ata time than to cut a lot and then end up regretting it but I totally know what you mean about just wanting to get it over with.

I'm in! I'm transitioning from a relaxer...my last full-on relaxer was in early July 2011, and I had a Brazilian Keratin treatment in early November 2011. Since then, it's been "Bring on the curls!" :p

Welcome! You must have a lot of new growth by now

growing out bleach/dye damage. The last time I bleached to the roots was mid may, and I have since bleached the already bleached bits (all hair excluding the virgin regrowth) so that it'd be light enough to dye pink while I'm growing it out (the last colour faded to an awful patchy muddy colour)
I'm going to continue dying the pink parts with the pink veggie dye just to keep it looking good until my roots get long, and I will henndigo the dyed bits in time for my school ball next year. The virgin hair will remain untouched from now on :) After 2.5 months of growth I have roots that are up to 1.5 inches long (but quite a bit shorter in other areas) and an extra inch or so of hair that the pink has faded out of, so it's bleached but not too much lighter than my natural hair. I'm super excited for the extra thickness and health that I will (hopefully) gain :)

It is a pretty exciting thing seeing the new hais coming in because it's so much thicker.

SerinaDaith
July 30th, 2012, 09:49 AM
I know how you feel. Don't make any rash decisions that you may end up regreting though. It's better to cut a little bit ata time than to cut a lot and then end up regretting it but I totally know what you mean about just wanting to get it over with.
:D I am here to have help reminding me that going back to my mega chop impatient ways just gets me further from my goals. I figure I will grow to BSL then revisit how my hair looks, as soon as I can pull it all up I will start benign neglect.:horse:

rock007junkie
August 2nd, 2012, 08:51 AM
Yeah, putting your hair up helps. Every time I'm sulking about my hair I just bun it up and right away forget about how it looks when it's down.

SerinaDaith
August 2nd, 2012, 08:55 AM
I figure APL in a year so that will be when hair and fun can be an actual thing.

Maybe
August 2nd, 2012, 08:58 AM
I wish I had the guts to do this. I have been covering my patchy grey for so many years.

SerinaDaith
August 2nd, 2012, 09:57 AM
I wish I had the guts to do this. I have been covering my patchy grey for so many years.

Look into the salt and pepper thread, there are some amazing silverhairs over there! I am growing out the dye now before I get to be super silver but some of the ladies transitions are just breathtaking!:blossom:

patienceneeded
August 2nd, 2012, 12:12 PM
Transitioning to Water Only washing right now. Thank goodness for headscarves...I can go out in public and not look like I belong in some kind of asylum. I'm hoping my scalp calms down on the oil production soon...

Salwety
February 27th, 2016, 12:26 AM
Ok I know that it has been a realy long time since someone posted here. But I am transitioning from a relaxer and it awful.
When I made my mind to have long healthy hair, my hair was relaxed using a keratin treatment from 5 month(march 2015), at shoulder length with a lot of layers from a long pixi cut.
By the 8th month my hair started to break from the demarcation line, and the new growth was not behaving well either.
I used to chemically treat my hair since I was 12 years old, and have no idea how to treat curly hair to behave as a curly hair, though this what I was born with.
I came here for guidance and support, and there is a lot here , I love you ladies :flower: to all of those who take part of their time to share their experience or give advice :toast:

My old routine was sls shampoo for cleaning, oiling for conditioning and detangling, and letting it loose all the time even for sleeping ( isn't that why I get it relaxed in the first place, to have it loose and straight all the time)

Now as my mind changed-I am hoping that this change is permanent- and my hair goals also changed, I altered a lot in my routine to suit my new hair goals - long healthy curly hair in one texture, and hopfully a little thicker.
Sometimes I oil my hair pre-washing with coconut oil or EVOO.
I co wash my hair ( still using cones) and some times I just WO and then use the conditioner just to detangle and style.
I use the LOC method to help the formation of curls instead of the messy fuzz I had to have.
I use henna once a month
Every week I do a deep conditioning treatment and once a month a protein treatment.
I bought some satan cloth to make pillowcases.

I can feel the change in the texture and softness of the virgin hair, and I started to have beautiful curls, a little frizzy but I still love them.

Regarding the old relaxed hair, it is a different story, it is still breaking and always have extra damaged ends. So I had to let it go twice and have a big trim. The second time was just two days ago, and here I am back to just APL.

I know that there is no hope in the already relaxed hair. But my biggest fear is that after all the transition is over and having all natural hair that the ends will still act the same way and force me to trim it back every time I start to notice some growth. I have been through a lot of changes and experimentation, and a lot is still to come, I want to gain the benefits of what I am doing now and if this didn't happen it will be .... I can't even find the word to describe it.

Sorry for the long post, but I am feeling emotional and overwhelmed by my hair issues lately.

AJNinami
February 27th, 2016, 10:42 AM
Salwety, don't worry! We are all here to support you and I'm sure many of us have been through the same sort of thing. :grouphug:

You will definitely not have to always cut back on your growth, especially since you are trying to find how to treat you hair nicely now. The whole point is to be happy with your hair and what you are doing now is taking you closer and closer to that.

I'm having to trim every two weeks because my ends are so upset with me, and it's so frustrating to see all of that length go away. But the way my hair feels after I trim is so worth it, and especially what it will feel like in the future!

It's okay to be emotional over hair. Hair plays a big part in how we see ourselves and how we see others. But don't worry, it will eventually all be wonderful again. :blossom:

Salwety
February 27th, 2016, 12:09 PM
AJNinami I realy appreciate you advice and support. After all patience is still the key.