PDA

View Full Version : Damage - Chop to BSL?

Thenolegirl
July 29th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Hello everyone. I guess this is a panic/what should I do question.

I was sitting in the car with the sunlight shining directly on my hair and to my horror - splits (like triple/mid shaft splits if that makes sense) and white dots - all the way up the strands of my hair. I went home and with a good strong light took a pair of sharp hair scissors for a good S&D session - only to find that the damage is just way to much for me to trim by myself. Pieces keep breaking off in my fingers.

I have been using Renpure Organic shampoo and conditioner(no sulfates, parabens, dyes, cones etc.), organic coconut oil, and a gentle smooth comb and mixed BBB. My hair isn't dry, but feels smooth and the ends are getting less and less crunchy. Whenever I cleaned out my brush it seemed like it was all shed hairs with the root. My hair is generally in a sockbun with a hair safe elastic, loose side braid or a hypno bun for working out. I thought my hair was in good condition! In fact I passed up several hair trim opportunities because I thought my ends were doing alright and just needed to be conditioned. I am guilty though - I used to be a serious hot roller abuser with the heated clips. I think why the damage is so far up the length of my hair is because the clips would put stress and hot spots on the hair. :(

I have a good hairdresser that is fantastic and long hair friendly - but what do I tell her? At first I thought an inch would do it but since seeing the extent of the damage I don't know how much length I can stand to take off. I'm at waist now...and *gulp* I'm contemplating going back to BSL with side framing pieces and a full fringe. I loved that hair cut I got from her before. In my signature I state that I want to grow as long as God will allow. I don't think having damaged hair is going to grow very much! I'm going to miss making the rock solid buns and interesting braids.

Advice please? :confused: This will be my first "big" chop in 6 years if I do go for it.

Winnie!
July 29th, 2012, 07:53 PM
If the damage is really that bad a chop is probably your best solution. However, taking your growth off every month would help if chopping is not what you really want to do. This way you can eliminate damage and still remain at a longer length. Best of luck in whatever you choose!

wooliswonderful
July 29th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Don't panic. :)
Nearly the same thing happened to me last October. I had been on LHC several months and was treating my hair well, only to realize during my first well-lit S&D that I had many mega-splits and white dots. A few wouldn't have been bad, but I was seeing splits like I didn't think possible. I hadn't straightened or used hot rollers for many months but they had wreaked havoc on my hair that I was mostly unaware of. I thought about it and decided It bothered me less to lose length than it did to have hair I wasn't happy with. I cut from waist to shoulder. I could have cut to BSL and been ok but wanted to eliminate my layers altogether while I was at it so as it grew long enough my buns & braids would go up a bit nicer.

Here's my hair in August vs. Oct. of last year:
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc108/wool_is_wonderful/lizaugust.jpg
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc108/wool_is_wonderful/newpony-1.jpg

I'm not telling you you should or shouldn't cut, just that I did and I'm happy to have started fresh and found joy in my hair as I grow it again. Hope this made sense, going on very little sleep here. :)

SerinaDaith
July 29th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Stop. Do not do anything for at least two weeks from now. Give yourself time to really think about this. Has your hair been stalling? Do you feel like you are getting serious enough breakage to require a super chop? Did you like your hair at this length when it was there? These are the things I neglect to think about and I regret it every time. Best of luck!

SunlightShines
July 29th, 2012, 09:00 PM
I think SerinaDaith has given you great advise. Wait and see how you feel. If you find that you just can't wait, try what Winnie suggested, a cut of your montly growth and see how you feel about your hair at the end of a month.

xoxophelia
July 29th, 2012, 09:17 PM
I suggest some major S&D sessions and then decide.

Thenolegirl
July 29th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the advice!

I will definitely wait for a few more weeks. I'm returning for my Fall semester of college and I want to start on the right foot for healthier hair. =)

wooliswonderful your hair is beautiful before and after, but your hemline will be so much thicker! Your before pick reminds me of my hair with the layers. My shortest layer is probably about the very top of BSL. I have bangs that grew out and they touch below my chin (and kinda useless at this length anyway) :P I do think I will get my bangs back at least to soften my protective styles.

I don't think I'm stalling - this is the longest my hair has ever gotten. I do love my length, but as I've been trying to pull off more elaborate styles the layers stick out. I get loads of compliments and then "you have some sticking out". lol

Deborah
July 30th, 2012, 01:39 AM
If your damage is so serious, maybe cut off two inches now, instead of going right to BSL, then wait a month or two before cutting a couple more inches, etc., until you have cut off all the damage. You will still remove the damage, but it might not be so shocking to you. If it were me, I'd cut off all the damage at once and be done with it, but not everyone can face one big cut like that.

OhioLisa
July 30th, 2012, 02:44 AM
I would recommend doing a series of smaller trims until the damage is cut away. Keep it up, pamper it, etc, but I am not sure a drastic cut is necessary.

Since you seem to be using good products for your hair, you might want to evaluate whether the cause is mechanical damage. Perhaps the brushing is the culprit (a BBB is definitely damaging to my own hair). Just ideas. :shrug:

kitekats
July 30th, 2012, 02:56 AM
Do henna:D

lmfbs
July 30th, 2012, 02:58 AM
Stop. Do not do anything for at least two weeks from now. Give yourself time to really think about this. Has your hair been stalling? Do you feel like you are getting serious enough breakage to require a super chop? Did you like your hair at this length when it was there? These are the things I neglect to think about and I regret it every time. Best of luck!

I agree with this, except I say 2 months - whenever I want a change like that, I invoke the 2 month rule. If I still want to do it in 2 months, I go for it.

Syrena
July 30th, 2012, 03:04 AM
That is one reason why I chopped from mid-butt to hip yesterday. I am very happy with the result! all damage is gone and my ends are full and thick again 9that was the second reason why I chopped).
However, I was thinking and contemplating this big chop the whole month of July. At the end I was really sure that I want to chop! And i don't regret it and I know that I will not regret it even in few weeks.

Take your time to think about what you want. Length or health! in my case it wasn't possible to have both. I sacrified the length. Good luck! :)

Toadstool
July 30th, 2012, 03:48 AM
I always like this article by Nightshade.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79

Amber_Maiden
July 30th, 2012, 10:26 AM

Exactly. If it is really bad- chop it in 2 weeks time. Think about it. Maybe you'd like to micro trim instead.

lechatn0ir
July 30th, 2012, 11:43 AM
I'd say cut an inch every two months to get rid of the damage and care for your hair for now and if you still want to get a big chop then do it! but only if you are sure. I would just slowly cut off the damage though. Good Luck!

Thenolegirl
July 30th, 2012, 02:37 PM
It seems like cutting about 1-2 inches every 2 months is the consensus. I was braiding my hair this morning and I just know that I can't do more than BSL if I do go for the "big chop". I definitely will get at least an inch taken off soon but most likely two. I can handle that and that would be a considerable improvement. I'm going to at least start cutting off the layers. My hair would be much thicker and easier to manage.

The BBB I'm using was not the cheapest - but it's not the greatest either. Perhaps if I just detangle slowly with my comb that might be better, but I like the soft look of brushed out waves.

My hair is slathered in a hot coconut oil/olive oil treatment right now. It feels so good but it looks just greasy :P I wish there was a way to keep this much oil in without it looking disgusting in public lol

Thanks for all the input =) I appreciate it.

lapushka
July 30th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Do it in stages. Microtrim first, see if that helps. If that doesn't get rid of all the damage, cut halfway to BSL. If going beyond that means it's going to be too short for you, you could maintain there for the number of months it takes to get rid of all the damage. If it's not too short, you might want to trim all the way to BSL. But, like I said, I'd do a big chop like that in stages.

petali
July 30th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Having a drastic chop might not be bad. If you have been at around the same length, you might like to try new ones. Just saying.

jeanniet
July 30th, 2012, 03:32 PM
If you really want to be at waist (and it looks like you're about 2" past), I would just plan on maintaining at that length and trimming the damage for about the next year. So I'd cut 1-2" now, and then about 1" every couple of months. S & D in between, do plenty of DTs, baby your hair as much as possible, and see how it looks in a year. Most of the damage may be gone by then, and you'll still have your length!

Mesmerise
July 30th, 2012, 03:36 PM
In your sig pic, your hair looks a good 2" longer than what I would call "waist". Personally, I think you're better off taking just that 2" off to start with, which will take you back to actual waist, rather than going all the way to BSL. Once you've done that 2", take off your monthly growth each month (or every second month, take off what's grown) and maintain until your hair condition improves. Your hair will stay fairly long, and in a few months your ends will be HEAPS better.

Edit: my post sounds a lot like jeanniet's, I think I must have started writing before she posted :D. Good minds think alike and all that?!

MrsGuther
July 30th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Hello everyone. I guess this is a panic/what should I do question.

I was sitting in the car with the sunlight shining directly on my hair and to my horror - splits (like triple/mid shaft splits if that makes sense) and white dots - all the way up the strands of my hair. I went home and with a good strong light took a pair of sharp hair scissors for a good S&D session - only to find that the damage is just way to much for me to trim by myself. Pieces keep breaking off in my fingers.

I have been using Renpure Organic shampoo and conditioner(no sulfates, parabens, dyes, cones etc.), organic coconut oil, and a gentle smooth comb and mixed BBB. My hair isn't dry, but feels smooth and the ends are getting less and less crunchy. Whenever I cleaned out my brush it seemed like it was all shed hairs with the root. My hair is generally in a sockbun with a hair safe elastic, loose side braid or a hypno bun for working out. I thought my hair was in good condition! In fact I passed up several hair trim opportunities because I thought my ends were doing alright and just needed to be conditioned. I am guilty though - I used to be a serious hot roller abuser with the heated clips. I think why the damage is so far up the length of my hair is because the clips would put stress and hot spots on the hair. :(

I have a good hairdresser that is fantastic and long hair friendly - but what do I tell her? At first I thought an inch would do it but since seeing the extent of the damage I don't know how much length I can stand to take off. I'm at waist now...and *gulp* I'm contemplating going back to BSL with side framing pieces and a full fringe. I loved that hair cut I got from her before. In my signature I state that I want to grow as long as God will allow. I don't think having damaged hair is going to grow very much! I'm going to miss making the rock solid buns and interesting braids.

Advice please? :confused: This will be my first "big" chop in 6 years if I do go for it.

I would suggest several small trims over the next few months. A big chop might leave you with hair remorse! :(

jacqueline101
July 30th, 2012, 04:46 PM
If its damaged you've done the right thing. Your hair looks good.

jeanniet
July 30th, 2012, 05:27 PM
In your sig pic, your hair looks a good 2" longer than what I would call "waist". Personally, I think you're better off taking just that 2" off to start with, which will take you back to actual waist, rather than going all the way to BSL. Once you've done that 2", take off your monthly growth each month (or every second month, take off what's grown) and maintain until your hair condition improves. Your hair will stay fairly long, and in a few months your ends will be HEAPS better.

Edit: my post sounds a lot like jeanniet's, I think I must have started writing before she posted :D. Good minds think alike and all that?!
Oh, yep, we are great! :D But I agree that she could take off 2" now and still be smack at waist.

dwell_in_safety
July 30th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Wait the usual two weeks, at least, and see how you feel then. If you're not already and don't want to chop off length, wearing your hair up and keeping the ends protected every day and pampering your hair on a regular basis while making small monthly trims would also work to get rid of the damage with minimal damage being spread to the rest of your hair.

To me, though, a chop would ultimately, probably, be more satisfying. If you trim off just a bit every month, you're looking at no gain in length for, what, a year? If you chop, you'll get to watch your hair grow back. :D I guess it just comes down to which option would be the kindest both to hair and psyche.

DancingQueen
July 31st, 2012, 01:23 AM
I recently realized the same about my hair, only I have to cut back to shoulder!

:scissors::run:

I was using the flat iron al lot until I got to shoulder though, and that is probably the damage at the bottom now. Personally, I will let it grow and cut of around an inch every 3 months as I usually do. At some point, it will be gone.

I am not saying you should do this, but I am guessing your damage is the old heat damage, that is now at the bottom of your hair.

lauren_n
July 31st, 2012, 04:41 AM
Hair grows back! If you like the haircut and you're still going to enjoy your hair at BSL, the process of growing it back can be fun. As is the general consensus, I'd say wait a few weeks and then chop a few inches. That way you'll have time to think about how happy you'll be with BSL hair :)

FrannyG
July 31st, 2012, 04:46 AM
Although I love the idea of trimming bits at a time, it really depends on how much the damage is bothering you. If it is impeding the enjoyment of your hair, I say cut back to BSL. I don't know whether the patience required to do small regular trims is worth having to live with damaged hair. Only you know the answer to that question.

I agree with the idea of invoking the 2 week rule policy. In the meantime, you can S&D the splits, and see if that helps.

Whatever you decide, I wish you well on your journey. :blossom:

guns1969
July 31st, 2012, 05:09 AM
Have you tried any of the split end products on the market? A friend of mine swears by the Nexxus Split End Overnight treatment. She recently told me to try the Emergencee Reconstructor and I'm in love! Its the ONLY product that has worked on my hair in the last 2 years! Its made my hair soft, silky and shiny after just one use. The ends are no longer dry and I can barely see any splits.