PDA

View Full Version : damaged underlayer of hair

Rufflebutt
July 29th, 2012, 05:20 PM
On this site I see many people stating about how their canopy is more damaged than the rest of their hair. But I have the opposite of that problem. I have noticed that for as long as I can remember, most of my damage is in the under-layer of my hair. Particularly the section closest to the back of my neck..

I wear my hair down most of the time, could this be what's causing the issue?

Pearly~91
July 29th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Hmm... does the hair get tangled because it brushes on your clothes? When I had long hair in high school I had to detangle throughout the day or the hair by my nape would get matted! :mad: Anyways, maybe if the hair is getting tangled and you don't realize or you aren't careful, it could be getting damaged when you comb/brush it later?

Or is the under-layer a different texture? Some people have areas of finer hair that get damaged more easily. Especially near the hair line... Also, if you have layers it could be getting caught in things because its longer.

Anyways, I hope these ideas help! I've had problems with all 3 before. :)

lmfbs
July 29th, 2012, 05:33 PM
I have the same sort of damage at the nape of my neck. I think it's damage from tangles rubbing on my clothing.

Arya
July 29th, 2012, 05:35 PM
This is me too! I wear it down most of the time because it refuses to stay up for longer than half an hour. I know mine tangles on my clothes. It's also the longest layer so it tends to be the tangliest. I don't really have any answers for you, just sympathy.

Rufflebutt
July 29th, 2012, 05:43 PM
This is me too! I wear it down most of the time because it refuses to stay up for longer than half an hour. I know mine tangles on my clothes. It's also the longest layer so it tends to be the tangliest. I don't really have any answers for you, just sympathy.
Well it's good to know that I'm not alone on this. I thought it was just me for a while! XD

lolot
July 29th, 2012, 05:45 PM
I have the same problem too, and i wear my hair up almost all the time, i dont know why is like that, it would be awesome if someone have a solution

Miss Maisie
July 29th, 2012, 05:46 PM
I have this, and I know it's because my hair's getting caught on my necklaces. In my mind I've still got a chin length bob (as I had one for, oh, 12 years), and it's hard for me to accept that it's on its way to BSL. I have to start wearing it up more often.

akilina
July 29th, 2012, 06:08 PM
I have this too. Today, not so bad, but before my chop when I was heat styling every single day, it was HORRID. Other things did not help. Living where there was very hard water, hair getting caught in necklaces and ripping it out, wearing it down. Hair ties.
Could this be from past heat tool use?
I mean...it could be from anything but that was a huge factor for me.

earthnut
July 29th, 2012, 07:00 PM
You could try leaving in a little extra conditioner or oil on the hair that is prone to tangling.

blondie9912
July 29th, 2012, 07:09 PM
I would say wearing your hair down is probably the culprit. Before I joined LHC (and therefore wore my hair down a lot, but I didn't ever heat style much, even before joining) I had the exact same problem. I remember it would be particularly bad after a day of shopping and trying on clothes. The hair at the back of my neck, on the underside, would literally form a rats nest clump that I would have to gently detangling by hand. One day I got very fed up about cut off about 4 inches from that section (the part that would always tangle was maybe an inch or two wide) and I haven't had that issue since then. I would say perhaps S&D that section, trim your hair about half an inch, and start wearing your hair up more/oiling it and you should be good!

limonade34
July 29th, 2012, 08:11 PM
My hair is similar but I think it's just that way naturally, not from rubbing on clothes or anything. My hair has always been a lot tanglier in the underlayer and is frizzy and a little curly there, while the rest of my hair is pretty straight and not frizzy. It's been that way with different lengths and even when I wore my hair up nearly every day for a few years. My sister's hair does exactly the same thing.

The most effective solution I have found is putting a little hair serum (usually the John Frieda one) on just the underlayer- it helps keep it from getting tangled.

Picotee
July 29th, 2012, 08:16 PM
My hair tangles so easily no matter what if I leave it down but I prefer having it down! The underlayer near the nape has been rattier and coarser than the rest since I can remember... that's where I S&D the most. The rest of my hair, even though it tangles a lot as well doesn't have that coarseness and splitting.
I think the icky texture is exacerbated by the constant rubbing against shirts and jackets. There's no way for it not to tangle if I wear it down- combing works for one shining, beautiful minute, then it's back to rat's nest city.

honeybunnie8
July 29th, 2012, 09:11 PM
I have this issue too. I S&D as best I can and add extra oil there when I oil after a shower. The extra oil seems to help some.

C_Bookworm
July 30th, 2012, 01:58 AM
I have the same problem. All my hair is fine, but the underlayer is sort of extra fine. Plus I love wearing necklaces, and hair gets all tangled up on the chain sometimes. But I mostly wear my hair down or braided. It's an acceptable tradeoff, in my book.

Bene
July 30th, 2012, 02:13 AM
Posted this in another thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=97963) but yeah, I've got a nasty gross looking underlayer.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/bene25/hair/th_utf-8BSU1HMDAzMzYtMjAxMTA0MjYtMDk1OS5qcGc.jpg (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/bene25/hair/utf-8BSU1HMDAzMzYtMjAxMTA0MjYtMDk1OS5qcGc.jpg)

That's an old pic, it's not as gross nowadays. I think perhaps I've grown it out. I hope.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/bene25/hair/th_photo-1-1.jpg (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/bene25/hair/photo-1-1.jpg)

This is a comparison pic of a different section. Same method of drying, same products, same tools. Just a different area.

I'll try to get a more recent shot of the nasty area, I'm so glad it's not as bad nowadays, and the disgusting part seems to have shrunk, replaced by healthier looking hair.

lolot
July 30th, 2012, 02:20 AM
Posted this in another thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=97963) but yeah, I've got a nasty gross looking underlayer.

That's an old pic, it's not as gross nowadays. I think perhaps I've grown it out. I hope.

This is a comparison pic of a different section. Same method of drying, same products, same tools. Just a different area.

I'll try to get a more recent shot of the nasty area, I'm so glad it's not as bad nowadays, and the disgusting part seems to have shrunk, replaced by healthier looking hair.

Thats exactly what i have! And i have s&d, trim, wear up, oil, condition, etc and is still like that, the weirdest part is that it grows so im kind of resigning to think that is just a diferent texture from the rest of my hair, at least it get covered

Stellaaa
July 30th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Going to add another me too here. Underlayer at the nape of the neck is very fine and fragile and occasionally ties itself into dreads. It's a different colour than the canopy too, it seems impervious to dye.

KhiraLi
July 30th, 2012, 01:43 PM
I also have the same problem. My underlayer is the least processed part of my hair but it is still the most damaged. I wear my hair in a ponytail and I thought that could be the reason but then it would make more sense if all the outer layers of the ponytail showed the same damage.

kmoc123
September 1st, 2012, 07:07 PM
Mine also tries to "dread" itself! I don't trim that because my hair is finally at classic length. The under canopy is wavy and a bit fuzzy. I do blow dry (on low heat) and use oil, conditioner, whatever I have. But I like to wear mine down, too. I guess just live with it...

Iolanthe13
September 1st, 2012, 08:49 PM
Another "me too" here. Henna and oil have cut down hugely on the damage and tangles, though I keep my hair up most of the time now. This is unorthodox, but have you considered making a little braid out of the bits that want to tangle? This would probably keep them from dreading, and I doubt it would show under the canopy of hair.

Kristin
September 1st, 2012, 10:34 PM
I used to think my nape hairs were damaged, but it turns out that section is just a completely different texture from the rest of the hair on my head. My "normal" hair is 1b/1c, but that section has 3a/3b curls. Since I don't wear it curly (how crazy would that look?), I try to make sure that section gets extra moisture and oils.

neko_kawaii
September 1st, 2012, 10:55 PM
Same here. My undercoat is coarser and has curl as opposed to my wavy medium/fine overcoat. I don't really worry about it and just make sure to look higher up for splits when I S&D hairs from around my nape as I don't find them that high on any other hair.

DarkSunny
September 1st, 2012, 11:45 PM
Ugh, yeah. I have this problem. The hair at my nape gets splits much more easily, actually seems to have an uneven thickness throughout the separate hair strands, and loves to tangle into the more cooperative hair above it. :mad:

Sarahlabyrinth
September 3rd, 2012, 11:52 PM
Yes I get this problem. My solution is to wear my hair up. If I wear it loose, within half an hour tangles arrive.

jacqueline101
September 4th, 2012, 03:31 AM
Mine gets damaged at the nape of the neck at the under layer.

julliams
September 4th, 2012, 06:33 AM
I have the same issue - it's those nape hairs on either side. I think it's my jewellery, handbag strap and seatbelt.