PDA

View Full Version : First Hair Mask Mistake and ACV as a Cure-all?

SelkieSkjald
July 29th, 2012, 03:02 PM
So I just whipped up my first hair mask in the blender: banana, egg, mayo (slightly redundant, I know, but I wanted a thickener), beer, and honey. I was expecting to have some problems washing it out because I am WO but I was surprised at how smoothly it all rinses out! I did have a slightly sticky residue, which I think was from the honey. When I did an ACV rinse, though, the stickiness completely went away. Does it make any sense that the ACV neutralized the honey or something, or was it just the second rinse that got rid of the stickiness?

I also noticed that I had some symptoms of slight over-moisturization. I theorize that this is from the honey since it's a humectant and I live in a temperate rainforest with consistently high humidity levels. These symptoms also went away after the ACV rinse.

Am I just demonizing honey and hero-worshipping ACV or does this all sound reasonable?

Kelikea
July 29th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Honey is water-soluble, so it will rinse out with WO. The beer and the acv do similar things to your hair, like removing residue and lowering pH. All of the things you put in your hair would have a tendency to moisturize, so the symptoms of slight over-moisturization seems normal. Beer and acv would leave your hair smooth and shiny. You probably didn't need to try so many ingredients at once, but it also doesn't sound like it was harmful at all. Maybe you could streamline next time, for time or money's sake:)

Dang3rousB3auty
July 29th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Whenever I have used honey for anything it rinsed out super easy with no sticky residues left. Getting the mayo out seems like it would be harder o.O especially with only using water.

stickiness could have also come from the banana

ratgirldjh
July 29th, 2012, 03:22 PM
I think it is the mayo that left the oil in your hair. Whenever I used mayo in my hair (or egg) it took several poo bar washes to get all the oil out and to take out the mayo or egg (or both) smell.

Hope you don't have this problem - my hair likes to hold on to oil and smells. Honey rinses out fine for me as long as it is cheap processed honey - the raw organic honey I used had beeswax in it and I could feel it on my hair! :D

MinderMutsig
July 29th, 2012, 05:00 PM
I agree the sticky feeling was probably the mayo or maybe the banana. Honey rinses out very easily.

SelkieSkjald
July 30th, 2012, 12:41 AM
Thank you for all of the insights! Kelikea, you're right that I probably shouldn't have tried everything at once so that I could isolate what my hair likes and dislikes, but it was all stuff I already had in the house and I was feeling inspired. :) Also, thank you for the science-oriented descriptions as to what was going on in my hair; that's precisely what I was looking for.

Dang3rousB3auty, I think you're on to something about it being the banana that was making my hair sticky. Surprisingly the mayo didn't give me any problem at all. I was actually dreading that it might force me to use shampoo to get it out, but no issues there!

ratgirldjh, my hair actually did hold onto some smells, but the combination of egg, banana, and beer made my hair smell like banana bread while it was drying. Not a bad thing at all!