PDA

View Full Version : AHHH Help me!!! I think ive just destroyed my hair!

oddelabop
July 29th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Oh god guys!! Ive gone and done it!!

Was attempting making a deep conditioner for my hair with shea butter olive oil coconut oil and some cinnamon. Heated it all up together and the absolute boob i am forgot to let it cool down and poured a bit over my scalp in one sectione - MAN IT BURNED!!

Does this mean my hair will now fall out?? Has anyone else done this before???

Kaelee
July 29th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Just run cool water over it, and if it isn't blistered, put some aloe on it.

If it is blistered see a doc. If you burned it really badly, your hair follicles may be damaged. Maybe not. I can't tell from here.

ETA: use REAL aloe. If it's not real aloe don't bother. The stuff from the drugstore is something other than aloe and does more harm then good.

oddelabop
July 29th, 2012, 12:24 PM
there are no blisters.. I dont think it is as bad as I thought but it stang an awful lot!! :(

sarelis
July 29th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Ouch, what Kaelee said. Lots of cold water & see a doctor if at all worried, hope it's better soon

Lostsoule77
July 29th, 2012, 12:28 PM
What they said. Run cool water over it for awhile. If you have real aloe use that too. (It'll be clear & make sure you check the ingredients list too.) I hope it feels better soon.

oddelabop
July 29th, 2012, 12:30 PM
aww man why do i do these things??!! it feels like when you hold a hair drier on the hottest setting close to your head and sometimes it burns real bad!

Kaelee
July 29th, 2012, 12:33 PM
aww man why do i do these things??!! it feels like when you hold a hair drier on the hottest setting close to your head and sometimes it burns real bad!

Just keep up running water over it and it will feel better. For about 10-15 minutes.

oddelabop
July 29th, 2012, 12:35 PM
omg thankyou everyone for your advice!!!

chou
July 29th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Ouch! I've never burned my scalp before but luck has not been on my side this year and I have suffered two bad burns due to my own stupidity recently. You'll have to wait and see what happens. Could be just a minor irritation, or could be a second degree burn. Take some advil or aspirin for the swelling and if it continues to hurt very badly for hours afterward see a doctor and they will advise you on burn care and medications that will help you heal faster, and possibly mitigate damage to your follicles. Like others have said, aloe is good, but don't put anything greasy on the area--you want to keep it dry so it doesn't get infected or anything.

But, just so you know, the immediately appearance of blisters is not an indication of burn severity. They can take a day or two to appear even with bad burns.
I don't mean to freak you out! You're probably going to be just fine. I obviously don't know how bad or minor your burn is. And in any case, there's plenty of hair that grew back on a second-degree burn on my leg within weeks of it healing.

Kaelee
July 29th, 2012, 12:49 PM
But, just so you know, the immediately appearance of blisters is not an indication of burn severity. They can take a day or two to appear even with bad burns.
I don't mean to freak you out! You're probably going to be just fine. I obviously don't know how bad or minor your burn is. And in any case, there's plenty of hair that grew back on a second-degree burn on my leg within weeks of it healing.

I once had a sunburn that took a week to blister!

By now the damage is done probably, the best you can do is relieve pain and prevent infection. Cold water only does anything to mitigate damage within the first minute or so. After that, what's done is done (usually).

Hopefully it wasn't too bad. Oil burns are awful, I would say wash your hair with something MILD to remove the oil, as you don't want the burn coated in anything greasy!

piffyanne
July 29th, 2012, 02:53 PM
For next time you do this (and I hope you don't do it again! ;)), I'd put Soy Sauce on the burnt part of your scalp. I do NOT know what it will do to your hair, but it significantly cuts down on the feeling of burning, and apparently makes burns heal faster, according to a newspaper article.

I touched a gluegun tip a few months ago and was still screaming when my mom came home. When she heard what'd happened, she dashed to the fridge, pulled my hand over the sink, and upended the soy sauce over me. :D The pain dulled almost instantly. I'm not sure whether it's your brain going, wait, WHAT'S THAT? or if your body starts associating the pain with "oh, salt's touching my skin. That's why it feels tingly like that. I can deal with this. Whatevs", or what. I just know it works.

Turns out she'd read about using Soy Sauce on burns in the Chicago Tribune and had been burning to try it out on someone. I've used it a few other times, and when my mom accidentally poured scalding water on my dad's hands (he was helping her strain the spaghetti, and she tipped the pot too fast, so it went on HIM, not in the strainer. OWWW!) it worked for him too.

Aftermath: I was sure I was going to scar from the burn on my hand because I scar so easily, but I can't find where it happened, so maybe it actually did help with the healing process?:confused::D Also, I get to crack jokes about how mom's been trying to marinate me, like I'm someone out of Hansel and Gretel.:yumm:

torrilin
July 29th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Oh god guys!! Ive gone and done it!!

Was attempting making a deep conditioner for my hair with shea butter olive oil coconut oil and some cinnamon. Heated it all up together and the absolute boob i am forgot to let it cool down and poured a bit over my scalp in one sectione - MAN IT BURNED!!

Does this mean my hair will now fall out?? Has anyone else done this before???

Cinnamon is a skin irritant. Regardless of how hot the other ingredients were, the cinnamon by itself can cause major redness and skin irritation. If you managed to extract the essential oil pretty well... you could have given yourself a chemical burn just with the cinnamon oil.

I know making cinnamon or cassia stuff is popular here, but it is pretty unwise unless you know your skin is not sensitive to the stuff. You really need to do a patch test for this kind of thing. Just because an ingredient is natural does not mean it is safe.

briles
July 29th, 2012, 03:10 PM
That sounds terrible! I hope you are okay.

Silken
July 29th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Ouch, that cannot feel good... I hope things calm down soon.

I actually used Nexxus conditioner the other day, not realizing that it contains salt, which is a no-no for keratin treatments. It did damage it, even though I rewashed and used a different conditioner afterwards.

Gaaaaah.

akilina
July 29th, 2012, 03:19 PM
I think any kind of head trauma may result in a little hairloss in that area.
If you are still okay though at this point, I am sure you'll be fine.

I hit my head really hard and all the hair in that spot fell out :/

DinaAG
July 29th, 2012, 04:04 PM
ooooh plz go 2 a dr very soon may be there is something he knows that can fix things soon

jacqueline101
July 29th, 2012, 04:24 PM
I agree cold water rinses and remove the oil from your hair.

Nymfora
July 29th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Ouchy :( I agree with rinsing under cool water, but you could also try wrapping an ice pack in a tea towel and put that on the burn area, it will help cool it down and relieve the swelling. Hope your doing ok :)

Mesmerise
July 29th, 2012, 08:22 PM
I remember reading in another post that cinnamon can burn your skin! Perhaps the cinnamon combined with the heat made it feel worse than it really was?

Asprettyasme
July 29th, 2012, 08:53 PM
#error

#An error occurred.

Loviatar
July 30th, 2012, 06:34 AM
Try not to worry. I burned my scalp with bleach so bad it blistered and my hair is fine. I didnt even notice it being thinner.

The best burn aid I have ever found = neat lavender oil. I once caught my arm on the oven and gave myself a massive red welt. My brother grabbed my arm, stuck it under the cold tap, then dabbed it with kitchen paper and tipped neat lavender oil over it. It stank. I had a blister for a day or two but after 4 days I didn't even have a red mark. Maybe make a cold water mister with some lavender EO in it (keep it in the fridge) and mist your scalp from time to time.

Lostsoule77
July 30th, 2012, 03:29 PM
How are you doing with this today?

MrsGuther
July 30th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Ouch! Sorry that happened. Hope you are ok! Hopefully it won't damage your hair follicles. If it didn't blister then I think you should be good to go.

SunlightShines
July 30th, 2012, 03:58 PM
I hope you're scalp is starting to feel better. Be careful not to scratch as it heals. That would cause damage to the hair. Most likely you'll end up with your scalp peeling similar to what happens after getting a sunburn. Don't use any oil on that area for a little while. I agree that "real aloe" is the best. You can also use aloe & distilled water in a spritz bottle to help keep your scalp moistened. *I hope you feel better soon!

lmfbs
July 30th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Try not to worry. I burned my scalp with bleach so bad it blistered and my hair is fine. I didnt even notice it being thinner.

The best burn aid I have ever found = neat lavender oil. I once caught my arm on the oven and gave myself a massive red welt. My brother grabbed my arm, stuck it under the cold tap, then dabbed it with kitchen paper and tipped neat lavender oil over it. It stank. I had a blister for a day or two but after 4 days I didn't even have a red mark. Maybe make a cold water mister with some lavender EO in it (keep it in the fridge) and mist your scalp from time to time.

Eep, I'd advise against using straight EOs on your skin - you should always use them in some sort of carrier oil.

PolarCathy
July 30th, 2012, 11:18 PM
I second STRAIGHT lavender oil. (or nothing.) It is SAFE to use it on the skin.

Yes I mean the essential oil.

Kaelee
July 30th, 2012, 11:28 PM

My mom swore by this and it worked great for her. I can attest that it's (usually) safe. (I'm sensitive/mildly allergic to it so it's not safe for me!)

Eniratak
July 31st, 2012, 12:48 AM
As crazy as it sounds, I was always taught to put ketchup on burns.

It actually works. XD.

ariesfairies
July 31st, 2012, 03:22 AM
Ahhhh yow!
To add to experience, I burned the top of my head by directly pouring my still hot Chamomile tisane :doh: This was last September, October? Hurt and stung like mad, however I doubt my hair fell out more than usual... But then again, I didn't know about measuring ponytail circumference so you only got an observation's note from me.

ETA: I didn't blister, but it was itchy. Obviously, you know to do what you can to each it because that would just be extra necessary stress down at the roots...

lmfbs
July 31st, 2012, 04:09 AM

Hah. I've always been taught EOs shouldn't be used straight, even the 'safer' ones. If that's not true, I stand corrected. Next time, I'd appreciate the tip without the attitude, thanks.

PolarCathy
July 31st, 2012, 05:22 AM
Hah. I've always been taught EOs shouldn't be used straight, even the 'safer' ones. If that's not true, I stand corrected. Next time, I'd appreciate the tip without the attitude, thanks.

There are very few that are safe undiluted. I know lavender is one, and I think tea tree is another but I wouldn't vouch for that.

Most of them really shouldn't be used undiluted though... I've burned my scalp quite severely with thyme for example and my body with something else (still don't know which one out of three I put in my bath). I have (by now, faint) scars around my waist that will probably never go away. So generally speaking, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Kaelee
July 31st, 2012, 09:05 AM
There are very few that are safe undiluted. I know lavender is one, and I think tea tree is another but I wouldn't vouch for that.

Most of them really shouldn't be used undiluted though... I've burned my scalp quite severely with thyme for example and my body with something else (still don't know which one out of three I put in my bath). I have (by now, faint) scars around my waist that will probably never go away. So generally speaking, it's better to be safe than sorry.

I use tea tree undiluted. It's "safe" as far as I know (I've never had a problem and I know people who use it that way and have never had a problem.)

PolarCathy
July 31st, 2012, 10:10 AM
I use tea tree undiluted. It's "safe" as far as I know (I've never had a problem and I know people who use it that way and have never had a problem.)

Me too :) what I meant is that there's another eo, apart from lavender, that "officially" can be used undiluted and I'm not sure which one that is, but I think it's the tea tree. :)

ariesfairies
August 1st, 2012, 09:14 AM
Me too :) what I meant is that there's another eo, apart from lavender, that "officially" can be used undiluted and I'm not sure which one that is, but I think it's the tea tree. :)

I use it directly for curing insect bites, I would like to add to the confirmation it's safe!

chou
August 1st, 2012, 09:36 AM
I just want to add that NONE of these EO's are safe for burns. Anything that could potentially cause any degree of irritation is going to have a massively amplified effect on burned skin and prolong the healing process. At best, it's going to cause a barrier that prevents the burn from drying out and healing. I was putting Neosporin on a second degree burn I had because it was inflamed and, I thought, infected. My doctor later informed me, when my burn was swollen up double and bright red, that the inflamation was caused by the Neosporin itself which is very mildly irritating. I'd never gotten a reaction to it before but burned skin is really delicate and sensitive to these things. The thought of putting tea tree oil on a burn makes me squirm with second-hand discomfort.

Anje
August 1st, 2012, 09:41 AM
As so many others have said, the cinnamon is probably contributing to the burning sensation, beyond what you got from the actual heat. You might not have actually burned it that bad.

I know making cinnamon or cassia stuff is popular here, but it is pretty unwise unless you know your skin is not sensitive to the stuff. You really need to do a patch test for this kind of thing. Just because an ingredient is natural does not mean it is safe.
To be clear, the "cassia" people talk about here is an old name (that I think should be gotten rid of) for what is now called Senna italica. It's a completely different plant. Remember people: Laxative, not cinnamon.