PDA

View Full Version : CG Method before & after on wavy hair

anitacs9101
July 29th, 2012, 12:07 PM
(I won't be offended if you skip straight to the pics :p)

I read the Curly Girl handbook mainly to learn more about CO and as a light read...however I found a neat section about wavy hair, describing how some wavies have troubles getting the top half of their hair to wave and also how the waves just brush right out. I was very intrigued because I've always wanted curly/wavy hair ever since I was little and the wave I have is very hard to bring out. I was planning on switching to no-cone CO anyway, so on my shopping trip I picked up some Suave naturals conditioner as well as some hair gel.

I then followed the washing instructions, which involved lots and lots of scrunching and cupping of your hair when rinsing to avoid having it stretched out or straightened from the water pressure and conditioner. I first washed my scalp, then rinsed, then I generously applied conditioner to the bottom half of my hair. I alternated finger-combing and scrunching to again avoid straightening the hair while combing. Once out of the shower I scrunched my hair with a t-shirt to dry, then applied generous amounts of hair gel, again scrunching it in. I was planning on doing this earlier in the day so it could just air dry, however by the time I did all this it was about bedtime so I plopped my hair for bed. In the morning my hair was still damp so I scrunched in a bit more gel...lol. I looked in the mirror in the bathroom and I flipped out, since when has my hair ever been this wavy?! I was hoping that it would dry this way too, haha! I let it air dry on the way to church and I was SOOO pleased with my hair, the waves traveled higher up my length as opposed to stopping halfway up like my hair usually does. However the biggest change I noticed was the front parts of my hair were wayy more wavier whereas normally they are the straightest part of my hair. The pictures don't show this, though.

Ok sorry lol, /endrant on to pics!

The first pic is the way my hair used to look all the time with my routine of BBBrushing every day. In fact it usually looked straighter than this, this photo shows a quick brushing session! The second pic is my hair CO washed, gelled a plop-dried. My hair might have some silicones in it because I forgot to clarify before I went no-cone:
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt212/OMGPwnies101/phot33ocrop.jpghttp://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt212/OMGPwnies101/photo3.jpg

!!! I thought I was seeing things the next morning. Dare I call this a solid 2a? Or does it not count since my hair is gelled :laugh:

I'll update later when I wash again with pics of my hair genuinely no-cone and air dried. :)

Anywhere
July 29th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Quite the difference! I had no idea about the cupping while rinsing thing, never did read the CG book myself.

I wouldn't change your hairtype based on gel and stuff though, as I believe hairtyping is done with air dried, no leave-ins or manipulation hair.

arielįgua
July 29th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Hellou! I read it all by the way. ^^
I think you should keep doing what you're doing, (gel, plopping) it's really beautiful, and you can call yourself a 2a. Maybe all that you were needing was a little enhancing. ^^

xoxophelia
July 29th, 2012, 12:21 PM
To figure out your hair type, you need to wash your hair with no brushing, scrunching, plopping, or product.

It does look wavier but also has the wet look thing going on. As you continue to perfect this routine, maybe reduce the amount of gel around the roots?

CurlyCurves
July 29th, 2012, 12:23 PM
It looks absolutely gorgeous. However, the top looks a little stringy. Did you apply more gel here?

Anyhoo, it really looks lovely hun. Can't wait to see some proper hair typing pics :)

Lostsoule77
July 29th, 2012, 12:25 PM
It looks really pretty! Good for you. :D I'll bother to try this method sometime. I really love your color too.

This isn't a hair typing photo though. To do that you'd have to clarify, rinse with as little manipulation as possible, then do NOTHING to your hair. No touching of any kind and just let it air dry. Then once it's dry snap a picture. Then we could hair type you. :)

Ginger Kitteh
July 29th, 2012, 12:47 PM
I love the results of the bottom of your hair! Like a couple other members noted though, it does look a bit too product-y on the top, but no real problem. Lovely color, too.

Natural hairtyping is airdryed without touching and with clarifying (conditioner weighs down the hair for a lot of people, even silicone free.

I found that CG does not work for me! My scalp got gooey (ew!) even with scrubbing, but if your scalp does not over-produce oils, than it might be really beneficial and I wish you luck and more good hair days!

Kiwiwi
July 29th, 2012, 12:48 PM
It looks absolutely beautiful, dear!

Did you scrunch the hard gel cast out? That could be why it looks a bit stringy on top. My curls are always very hard when they air dry with gel in them. Then when they are dry I scrunch carefully to get the hardness out and tadaaaa, soft bouncy curls :-D

anitacs9101
July 29th, 2012, 12:51 PM
To figure out your hair type, you need to wash your hair with no brushing, scrunching, plopping, or product.

It does look wavier but also has the wet look thing going on. As you continue to perfect this routine, maybe reduce the amount of gel around the roots?

It looks absolutely gorgeous. However, the top looks a little stringy. Did you apply more gel here?

Anyhoo, it really looks lovely hun. Can't wait to see some proper hair typing pics :)

Yeah I went very cray cray with the gel haha. I'll definitely lighten up on it hehe. My hair actually does look 2a clarified, although this pic *is* with silicones in my hair, dunno what my hair looks without them yet:

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt212/OMGPwnies101/photo.jpg

anitacs9101
July 29th, 2012, 12:57 PM
It looks absolutely beautiful, dear!

Did you scrunch the hard gel cast out? That could be why it looks a bit stringy on top. My curls are always very hard when they air dry with gel in them. Then when they are dry I scrunch carefully to get the hardness out and tadaaaa, soft bouncy curls :-D

Thank you :) Wow your hair is soo pretty...

And yes, as others have stated I used WAY too much gel, lol! I was just afraid that if I didn't use enough, my hair would straighten in a short amount of time. Plus my main issue was the top half being straight so I put a lot of gel there lol...I think it looks OK from the chin down xD

vintage88
July 29th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Wow great result it looks very pretty!:)

anitacs9101
July 29th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Wow great result it looks very pretty!:)
Thanks! :D

earthnut
July 29th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Nice result! I've been doing CG for 3 weeks and I'm undecided about CG still. I don't go completely by the book (I plop because otherwise my hair takes WAY too long to dry), but pretty much. My hair is curlier, shinier, less porous, and more moisturized with CG, but I still have a fair amount of frizz (though less, enough to make my hair look unkept). All the gels I've used just weight my hair down and make it less curly. So I just leave in conditioner.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd252/earthnutty/Hair/hair-apr12-shirt-sm.jpghttp://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd252/earthnutty/Hair/Jul2012-200.jpg

earthnut
July 29th, 2012, 06:30 PM
I found that CG does not work for me! My scalp got gooey (ew!) even with scrubbing, but if your scalp does not over-produce oils, than it might be really beneficial and I wish you luck and more good hair days!

I don't use conditioner on my scalp, because I had the same problem. Using a non-sulfate shampoo to clean the scalp is CG by the book too. I either use shampoo or just water to clean the scalp, and then put conditioner on my length.

Ginger Kitteh
August 2nd, 2012, 11:24 AM
I don't use conditioner on my scalp, because I had the same problem. Using a non-sulfate shampoo to clean the scalp is CG by the book too. I either use shampoo or just water to clean the scalp, and then put conditioner on my length.

Ah, that is a good idea. Thank you!