PDA

View Full Version : Another henna first-timer - QUESTIONS!

jacqm
July 29th, 2012, 01:16 AM
Hello, all! I am new to the community. I am contemplating using henna on my hair and wanted to see if I could get some feedback.

When I was younger, I had a very rich coppery/auburn hair color. I always received comments on my hair. As I've grown older, my hair has grown duller and lost much of the coppery/red look. I am sometimes referred to as a brunette these days, as opposed to a red head. :(

My goal is to recapture that red glow! After doing a moderate amount of research, I have purchased Rajasthani Twilight from Henna for Hair. I intend to do a strand test tomorrow.

I am wondering if anyone could offer any tips, opinions, advice, etc. I am a novice when it comes to hair color! (I once used a demi-perm red color, years ago.) I am incredibly nervous to henna my hair because of the permanent commitment. I don't want to ruin my hair or have disastrous results! My hair is thick, in healthy condition (although I could use a trim), and it is past my bra - almost to the middle of my back.

Anything you can offer would be greatly appreciated! :)

Mandyjane
July 29th, 2012, 01:33 AM
Hello, all! I am new to the community. I am contemplating using henna on my hair and wanted to see if I could get some feedback.

When I was younger, I had a very rich coppery/auburn hair color. I always received comments on my hair. As I've grown older, my hair has grown duller and lost much of the coppery/red look. I am sometimes referred to as a brunette these days, as opposed to a red head. :(

My goal is to recapture that red glow! After doing a moderate amount of research, I have purchased Rajasthani Twilight from Henna for Hair. I intend to do a strand test tomorrow.

I am wondering if anyone could offer any tips, opinions, advice, etc. I am a novice when it comes to hair color! (I once used a demi-perm red color, years ago.) I am incredibly nervous to henna my hair because of the permanent commitment. I don't want to ruin my hair or have disastrous results! My hair is thick, in healthy condition (although I could use a trim), and it is past my bra - almost to the middle of my back.

Anything you can offer would be greatly appreciated! :)
Hi Jacqm... I've been using henna since march. I wanted to switch to a natural alternative to hide some silvers but majority of my hair is medium to dark Brown... I did one full application of 'twilight' henna and have applied henndigo glosses of varying strengths to my roots every 10- 12 days since. (my hair grows fast) Often times I have glossed the length also. I was surprised at how aubern my hair colour went after the first application. The indigo tones down the red for me but it fades out eventually which I don't mind at all. I was so nervous trying henna for the first time because it seemed like such a permanent thing. Once you've experimented with henna yourself you realize how difficult it is to get a true picture of the colour because it changes so much in different lighting and it turns out differently on everyones hair. Best thing to do is strand test. You could always try a weak henna gloss after that if your happy with the strand test and go from there. If you don't mind aubern/reddish tones henna is great. The conditioning benefits and shine have been better than I expected. I am so happy i took the plunge..I spend ages checking out my colour under different lighting. It's fascinating. Anyway good luck.. Go to the Henna for hair forum for great advice on mixes/recipes. Cheers Mandy : )

Alvrodul
July 29th, 2012, 01:47 AM
Definitely do your rounds of testing! That will give you the information you need on whatkind of a mix you will need, and how long the mud needs to stay on your head.
Since you are nervous about starting hennaing because it is so permanent, do make sure that you want that color - it can be so very intense, especially at first, before the henna oxidizes, which can take up to a week. We do call that stage names like "nuclear orange" for a reason! ;)
One possible alternative is for you to do a henna gloss. To do this, you mix a spoonful or so of the dye-released mud with conditioner, and put that on your head. If you decide to go that route, it would be a good idea to use an ice cube tray and freeze the mud, then you have appropriately-sized portions you can just pop out of the freezer and thaw out (freezing the mud doesn't harm the lawsone)
You still need to do your testing and research - have you read the articles here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=7), here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=154)and here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=165)?
Good luck with your henna!

jacqm
July 30th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the replies! After reading through some more information and your suggestions, I think I probably will opt for the gloss the first time. I've mixed up a batch for the strand test and will apply it with condition tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

kdaniels8811
July 30th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Henna is awesome for your hair = if you like the color. Mine is a mix of henna and indigo and it makes my hair thick and shiny. Great stuff but you do marry it, once you start, you cannot get rid of the color. But from what your color was previously, this sounds perfect for you. Keep us posted and pictures if you can! Good luck.