PDA

View Full Version : Difference between purifying shampoo and clarifying shampoo

qijino1236
July 28th, 2012, 11:49 PM
I have searched google to try to find out if there is a difference between purifying shampoo and clarifying shampoo. I cannot seem to find anything. Does any here know if it is the same thing or is there differences between the two?

lmfbs
July 29th, 2012, 12:14 AM
I doubt there's a difference other than marketing. You need to look at the ingredients of each shampoo to determine what the shampoo does.

jojo
July 29th, 2012, 05:46 AM
I don't think there's any difference, though I've never seen them referred to as purifying shampoos before.

Jesabel
July 29th, 2012, 05:53 AM
I'd agree, you'd have to look at the ingredients. I have a "purifying" shampoo, but it's sulphate free - so clearly not a clarifying shampoo. By that I think they mean, there's no protein and fast building up ingredients in it so it cleans as best as a sulfate free does.

jacqueline101
July 29th, 2012, 06:07 AM
I'd read the ingredients and see how the manufactures say to use the product and the intended results are.

XcaliburGirl
July 29th, 2012, 07:37 AM
I'm not sure either.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I have a related question: does anyone know what ingredient(s) would indicate a clarifying shampoo? (I know the label helps, but I'd like to know if there is an ingredient.)

Kizuna
July 29th, 2012, 08:10 AM
I'm not sure either.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I have a related question: does anyone know what ingredient(s) would indicate a clarifying shampoo? (I know the label helps, but I'd like to know if there is an ingredient.)

A clarifying schampo usually include a sulphate (one example is Sodium Laureth Sulphate) but it does not have silicones or mineral oil in it. So check for SLS and no silicones.

heidi w.
July 29th, 2012, 08:13 AM
The difference is that one clarifies and the purifying shampoo does not clarify. It's all in the name. I have no idea what "purifying" means. It's not as though people's hair is unpure...marketing. I hate marketing. They assume we're idiots so much of the time, and we fall for it every time. Overall, shampoo is shampoo regardless of what you name it.

heidi w.