PDA

View Full Version : Sulfate-free shampoo

qijino1236
July 28th, 2012, 11:46 PM
The most popular sulfate for use in shampoo is Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. This is the best cleaning agent and one of the cheapest surfactants to manufacture.
But a higher concentrated version of Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is used to degrease engines. So if it can strip that grease what does it strip from your hair and body.
It will generally strip you hair of its natural oils and your body too. This leads to both of them drying out faster than normal.
Make sure you use a very good conditioner or body moisturiser after using products with it in.
Of course we all know how painful a dollop of shampoo can be if it gets into your eyes. This is due to the sulfates in the shampoo. Ever wonder why baby shampoo doesn't sting. Yep, because it doesn't contain any.
There have been some studies that suggest long term exposure to sulfates can have damaging effects on hair folicles and could contribute to thinning hair.
Unfortunately, sulfates do a really good job of cleaning your hair. So you're essentially left with a trade off. Do you want your hair looking and feeling clean for a little while, before it goes dry, or do you use a sulfate free shampoo which will not strip as much oil and will not dry out your hair but will need washing again sooner.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Found this article in the vast internets using google.
1) Just wondering the accuracy of the information given 2) Wondering who has tried sulfate-free shampoos 3) For those who have tried sulfate-free shampoos what are the advantages and disadvantages of using 3a) sulfate-free shampoos and 3b) sulfate shampoos. 4) Any more detailed information on what happens inside the hair follicles, the scalp, the sebaceous glands and sebum, the hair, the hair shaft, pores, etc....for either/both sulfate-free shampoos and sulfate shampoos.

AutumnJasmine
July 28th, 2012, 11:57 PM
Sulfates are bad for your hair and the environment. It strips your hair. I have been sulfate free for 2 years now. Sulfates make the lather, so when you switch you will notice there aren't as many bubbles.

lmfbs
July 29th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Some people prefer not using sulfates as they're very drying. Others use them diluted, and still others avoid them entirely.

I disagree that non-sulfate methods are not effective at removing oils - for example, it's readily accepted that conditioner only is the best way to remove oils from hair.

mckenzie
July 29th, 2012, 12:19 AM
I have thin & fine hair, and sulfate dries my hair out and makes it more prone to breakage than it already is.

Quixii
July 29th, 2012, 12:26 AM
I switched to a sulfate-free shampoo a long while ago and never noticed a decrease in cleanliness or an increase in need to wash my hair. :shrug:

Suze2012
July 29th, 2012, 12:34 AM
I stopped using shampoo with sulphates in May and wash with conditioner.
I have a sulphate free shampoo which I use every few weeks.

I put a silicone conditioner on my hair the other day to see how it behaved - day one was ok but day two and three was bad so I've done a deep treatment and will clarify with an SLS shampoo today - not looking forward to it!

My hair has been much less dry and much less frizzy since switching from SLS and not using silicone conditioner though and my nails have also started to grow much stronger and longer also.

DarkCurls
July 29th, 2012, 02:27 AM
I don't even use shampoo. :p No sulfates for me, and many people here on LHC. I believe it's possible to have clean hair without them.

Suze2012
July 29th, 2012, 03:03 AM
I don't even use shampoo. :p No sulfates for me, and many people here on LHC. I believe it's possible to have clean hair without them.

I agree - and in fact I have found some conditioners will dry my hair out when co-washing.

Charybdis
July 29th, 2012, 06:28 AM
I use sulfates only because my scalp's seborrheic dermatitis (SD) has always gotten worse whenever I stop. You can definitely clean hair effectively without sulfates, and if I can ever find a way to control the SD without them, I will be ditching them!

Trivial
July 29th, 2012, 06:56 AM
I actually think my hair stay cleaner for longer since I change to SLS-free schampoo, then before! I can stretch to every 4th day, with great success, instead for every second day. I think it is because the hair and scalp is not stript and do not need to overcompensate the loss of sebum. I do not know but that is my theori.

palaeoqueen
July 29th, 2012, 07:39 AM
SLS gives me eczema on my scalp and down my back where the water runs off my hair while shampooing. It took me a while to figure out what was causing it but I'll never use shampoo with sulphates in again now I know.

coneyisland
July 29th, 2012, 10:11 AM
The claim that baby shampoos are tear free because of absence of any sulfates is inaccurate. My Suave Kids tear free shampoo contains Sodium Laureth Sulfate, as does my Johnson's No More Tears head-to-toe baby wash.

The sulfate free shampoos are a good choice for persons with sulfate sensitivity, dry hair, or colored hair prone to fading; however, use of sulfate free shampoo is ineffective against buildup from use of some other hair products (e.g. hairspray, other styling additives, cone-y conditioners).

Shermie Girl
July 29th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Baby shampoo isn't tear free thanks to a lack of detergent, they all contain one, be it sulphate or non sulphate. Baby shampoo is just PH balanced to make it non irritating to the eyes, it isn't in truth any more "gentle" than any other shampoo.

I can't use sulphate free shampoo. My hair ends up looking and feeling as if it had been washed in rocket fuel and my scalp turns into a terrible, itchy mess. I'll keep my sulphates, thankyouverymuch. :D

gracenotes
July 29th, 2012, 11:16 AM
My hair doesn't mind sulfates, but I find that they can cause some frizz. Most of the time, I use a sulfate-free shampoo by Giovanni.

Dang3rousB3auty
July 29th, 2012, 11:43 AM
I agree you don't have to have sulfates to get clean hair. I have avoided sulfates as much as possible for almost 4 yrs now and my hair gets just as clean without them. My hair also feels a lot softer at the end of the day without giving up cleanliness or the nice smell. When I do use sulfate shampoo now my hair feels crappy and dry. Then I end up adding oils to make it feel better. Sulfates all together are not a good thing to have anywhere on your body. Your toothpaste contains sulfates, body wash, face washes, and shampoo. I would say sulfates aren't so bad except everyone is constantly drowning themselves in them every single day. Which years and years of time being exposed to it, is hurting us.

Also, your hair is very good at adjusting to whatever you are doing to it. So if you are washing your hair every single day with a sulfate shampoo then your scalp will now over produce oils trying to replace the oils you keep stripping away from it. This way it is almost impossible for you to skip a shower because your hair will just look disgusting. But if you are washing with a sulfate free shampoo every other day or couple of days (whatever is working for you) then your hair will get used to it and will not get greasy as fast and your scalp will start to normalize.

earthnut
July 29th, 2012, 12:17 PM
The most popular sulfate for use in shampoo is Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. This is the best cleaning agent and one of the cheapest surfactants to manufacture.
But a higher concentrated version of Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is used to degrease engines. So if it can strip that grease what does it strip from your hair and body.
It will generally strip you hair of its natural oils and your body too. This leads to both of them drying out faster than normal.

SLS is a harsh surfactant, in fact it's what other surfactants are compared to when measuring harshness. The fact that it's used in engines is immaterial. All surfactants remove oil. That's what they do, by definition. See this post for details about what shampoos do to the hair. (http://scienceyhairblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/shampoos-harsh-mild-and-otherwise.html)

Of course we all know how painful a dollop of shampoo can be if it gets into your eyes. This is due to the sulfates in the shampoo. Ever wonder why baby shampoo doesn't sting. Yep, because it doesn't contain any.
Sulfates are not why shampoo stings. It's because it's the wrong pH for eyes. Johnson's baby shampoo does contain a sulfate surfactant (though not SLS), but it's a more neutral pH than regular shampoo, which is why it doesn't hurt the eyes.

I use sulfate free shampoos because I don't want to increase my hair porosity any more than I need to. You don't need sulfates to clean your scalp really well. SLS is popular because it's cheap, but cocamidopropyl betaine can clean anything you want too. The only disadvantage is that you can't just grab the cheapest shampoo on the shelf.

earthnut
July 29th, 2012, 12:19 PM
I put a silicone conditioner on my hair the other day to see how it behaved - day one was ok but day two and three was bad so I've done a deep treatment and will clarify with an SLS shampoo today - not looking forward to it!

You don't need SLS to remove silicones. Cocamidopropyl betaine works just fine too.

LadyTheta
July 29th, 2012, 01:03 PM
I disagree that non-sulfate methods are not effective at removing oils - for example, it's readily accepted that conditioner only is the best way to remove oils from hair.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inquiry re: above: This: Do you apply the conditioner to dry or wet hair?

(I have a *lot of hair*, btw!)

earthnut
July 29th, 2012, 04:13 PM
I disagree that non-sulfate methods are not effective at removing oils - for example, it's readily accepted that conditioner only is the best way to remove oils from hair.

Er, no. You don't need sulfates to remove oils, and you can remove oils with conditioners. But the BEST way, the most effective way to remove oils? SLS is. It'll strip your hair very fast. Is this the healthiest thing for your hair? NO. But it is the most effective against oil.

Silverbrumby
July 29th, 2012, 05:21 PM
You don't need SLS to remove silicones. Cocamidopropyl betaine works just fine too.

Brand names that contain CB?

lmfbs
July 29th, 2012, 05:42 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inquiry re: above: This: Do you apply the conditioner to dry or wet hair?

(I have a *lot of hair*, btw!)

I do it wet, but I guess it doesn't matter. I just pop on some conditioner at the beginning of my shower, do the rest of my shower business then come back to it.

Er, no. You don't need sulfates to remove oils, and you can remove oils with conditioners. But the BEST way, the most effective way to remove oils? SLS is. It'll strip your hair very fast. Is this the healthiest thing for your hair? NO. But it is the most effective against oil.

I beg to differ. Many people have experiences where they've over oiled or done an oil DT, have shampooed with SLS and still find their hair oily when it dries.

Also, you'll note I said 'best' not 'most effective'. Best, when taking all the factors into account, not necessarily the quickest (although I do find CO quicker than removing oils with SLS shampoos anyway).

earthnut
July 29th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Brand names that contain CB?

JASON fragrance free
Nature's Gate Organics
Burt's Bees
Naked, if you're in the UK

lmfbs
July 29th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Burt's Bees

Ah, thanks! That reminds me, anyone know if you can get Burt's Bees in New Zealand or online with international shipping? I keep meaning to try it.

fairy_hair
June 23rd, 2017, 04:03 PM
I use sulphate free shampoo and body wash since sulphates actually irritate my skin! It is very gentle and I prefer it because it doesn't strip all the oils from my hair. However, the body wash I use is actually Johnson's baby bath (for newborns), which claims to be as mild as water, and I cannot find any sulphates in the short ingredients list, and since using it, my skin has not been as painful, so it seems to be true even though they don't boast it. I have been washing my hair with Boots Botanics sulphate free shampoo, which my hair loved, and it was inexpensive.. but it seems as though it has been discontinued! Would it be a big problem if I just use Johnsons sulphate free baby bath on my hair as well, or would the alkalinity harm it? I have washed my hair with it before, and it cleaned just as well as the sulphate free shampoo.. I need to know and I can't find anything about it! :) (by the way, Johnson's baby shampoo contains sulphates! Nooo!)

lapushka
June 23rd, 2017, 04:10 PM
I use sulphate free shampoo and body wash since sulphates actually irritate my skin! It is very gentle and I prefer it because it doesn't strip all the oils from my hair. However, the body wash I use is actually Johnson's baby bath (for newborns), which claims to be as mild as water, and I cannot find any sulphates in the short ingredients list, and since using it, my skin has not been as painful, so it seems to be true even though they don't boast it. I have been washing my hair with Boots Botanics sulphate free shampoo, which my hair loved, and it was inexpensive.. but it seems as though it has been discontinued! Would it be a big problem if I just use Johnsons sulphate free baby bath on my hair as well, or would the alkalinity harm it? I have washed my hair with it before, and it cleaned just as well as the sulphate free shampoo.. I need to know and I can't find anything about it! :) (by the way, Johnson's baby shampoo contains sulphates! Nooo!)

I would get a sulfate-free shampoo for adults; should be easy enough to find. Avalon Organics is a good brand. Shea Moisture is a good brand, etc. etc. If you're in the EU I'd recommend Urtekram.

fairy_hair
June 23rd, 2017, 04:14 PM
I would get a sulfate-free shampoo for adults; should be easy enough to find. Avalon Organics is a good brand. Shea Moisture is a good brand, etc. etc. If you're in the EU I'd recommend Urtekram.

Thanks for the recommendations! It seems safer to use something meant specifically for hair :)

mistythebandit
June 24th, 2017, 04:02 PM
I stay away from sulfates. I like to use Nature's gate biotin shampoo. No sulfates, no parabens, vegan, and it smells like a peppermint wonderland!

ArienEllariel
June 24th, 2017, 06:28 PM
What I've found is that my scalp and skin freak out badly with too much SLS. Especially my scalp. I've since switched to an SLS free shampoo as well as body wash. Still on the lookout for a more gentle shampoo on the days that I don't straight up just use water or conditioner and no shampoo.

Dark40
June 26th, 2017, 08:53 PM
I only use sulfates once a week. Throughout the rest of the week I mainly co-wash. I 2 excellent sulfate-free shampoos on the market! One is Crème Of Nature Argon Oil Shampoo, and the other is Loreal EverCreme Shampoo.

Natashap
July 2nd, 2017, 12:08 AM
Ogx brand has shampoo sulfate free,live clean products,

Coucouvaya
July 5th, 2017, 09:48 AM
I am using right now sulfate free shampoo but I can't say I am very satisfied. And it's not because my hair get greasier faster than normal. I feel like my hair are more dry/wild at the ends while the top has no volume. Perhaps y hair need to get used to it... time will say!