PDA

View Full Version : Scuba diving and long hair?

Tabihito
July 28th, 2012, 08:56 PM
So I'm getting my scuba certification. I actually had my first open-water dive today, and my second tomorrow. During my time in the water, I have come to realize that hair is a pain to deal with while diving. I secure it as best I can, in a braided ponytail, but the braid will work itself partly loose and the shorter strands will float everywhere and tangle around my mask and (somehow) my snorkel. Pins of any sort are out of the question, since they're extremely likely to fall out, and I tried one of those zig-zag headbands today but it ended up somewhere around the back of my head, doing me no good. Am I overlooking options here?

I know that in colder water, a wetsuit hood is more than sufficient to keep hair contained. In 90 degree water (with 100 degree air), that is absolutely not an option. A swim cap also doesn't work; I tried it in one of my pool dives, and it kept coming off. So. Is there any way to keep hair contained in warm water, or is it just something I'm going to have to deal with when it's too hot to wear a hood?

Amygirl8
July 28th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Hmm... Maybe you can make a bun and secure it with a hair-net type thing?
I don't know what it's called, but when I did ballet I used these really fine hairnets over my bun so that no hair would fall out of it.
Otherwise, I've no clue. Maybe a french or dutch braid would work better?

spidermom
July 28th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Rinsing with water, oiling, then braiding in double dutch braids using small sections. I do that anytime I'm going to be swimming or snorkeling. A few strands sometimes work their way loose, however, but they're not a huge problem.

Seeshami
July 28th, 2012, 09:35 PM
I have absolutely no idea how I secured my hair when diving because it has been.....(holy cow) 8-10 years. However I know it wasn't free to explore the oceans and it was long at the time because I was still in middle/high school and still doing color guard. So from my reasonable knowledge of myself at the time I would bet I conned my mom into french braiding it and then did a very low bun.. or I tucked the braid into my wet suit. I would also be weird enough to have used the goggles to hold a half twist but I think that was during certification which would have been 3-5 inches shorter but the concept of time between memories doesn't really exist.:confused:

lmfbs
July 28th, 2012, 09:42 PM
^ What spidermom said. I play underwater hockey and under water rugby which are both with snorkels and masks and keeping my hair out of the way is very important to make sure that I (and others) don't drown.

I find a heavy oiling keeps my hair from floating around, and keeps it together. A single dutch braid works well, or double dutches into a single dutch like this:

http://distilleryimage0.s3.amazonaws.com/10ec6da6d3d311e1a15422000a1e8687_7.jpg

Equus
July 29th, 2012, 09:45 PM
You might try one of these.
http://www.scubadorag.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_2
I haven't personally used one, but I have eyed them lustfully many times. I'm just such a cheapskate I can't justify buying one.