PDA

View Full Version : Taking the coconut milk plunge :o)

Nymfora
July 28th, 2012, 07:42 PM
I was grocery shopping the other day and there was some light coconut milk on sale so I bought 2, this stuff only has like 2 ingredients :) So I decided to give one a try today and put it in my hair, well it does smell very yummy and was a bit tricky to get on my hair but I have it wrapped in plastic with a towel wrapped around that and another towel for the drips. The extra coconut milk from the can I put in a freezer bag and got the air out, laid it flat and have it in my freezer. Just because I don't really want it to go bad before I can use it again.

Anywho I'm gonna be taking a shower in about 1 1/2 hours so I'm hoping to let it soak until then. I will post and update once I'm done my shower and when it's dried :D

If my hair could talk it would be saying "Thank you LHC!" That's how much it has improved since I found this site and started taking really good care of my hair :happydance:

patienceneeded
July 28th, 2012, 07:43 PM
I like to pour 1 or 2 cans in the bathtub water when I take a bath. SOOOOOO good for both hair and skin!

Nymfora
July 28th, 2012, 07:46 PM
I am curious about having it in the bath water and I might have to try ;) My hands are feeling alittle softer since putting it in my hair and I think where it's dipping a bit will be soft to lol. This is so much fun :D

patienceneeded
July 28th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Yeah, I started putting it in the bathwater for a nice soak because I was annoyed by the drips when I applied it to my hair. I credit the coconut milk baths for my eczema not flaring up horribly this last winter.

Nymfora
July 28th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Yeah, I started putting it in the bathwater for a nice soak because I was annoyed by the drips when I applied it to my hair. I credit the coconut milk baths for my eczema not flaring up horribly this last winter.

Really it helps with eczema? I'll have to mention that to my sister inlaw.

Ginger Kitteh
July 28th, 2012, 07:53 PM
I like to pour 1 or 2 cans in the bathtub water when I take a bath. SOOOOOO good for both hair and skin!

That is the best idea I have heard today! :) I just wish the college I transferred to had a bathtub like the one I used to go to.

Mmm, coconut milk. I use coconut oil every other night. I find it really helps with hair strengthening for damaged hair. Good luck the milk OP!

Nymfora
July 28th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Thanks Ginger Kitteh :) I really am loving how this coconut milk smells, so very good lol.

earthnut
July 28th, 2012, 08:08 PM
I use coconut oil as a deep treatment, and I usually take a bath while the oil is soaking in. I inevitably have extra oil on my back and hands, and rub it on the rest of my body as I bathe. Softens my body hair and skin as well as being great for my hair. :D

One thing to keep in mind though, if you're prone to break outs, coconut oil is comedogenic. I never use it on my face for this reason.

BTW, "lite" coconut milk is just the regular stuff, half diluted with water. If you can use a whole can, it's a better value to buy regular coconut milk. :)

Nymfora
July 28th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Well I've had the coconut milk in my hair for alittle over an hour now and I think I'm gonna hop in the shower now :) I will update with my results, and maybe a pic ;)

swearnsue
July 28th, 2012, 08:45 PM
I'm going to check out the results. I've been seeing stuff about coconut milk and I want to see what the benefits are. I assume protein???

Nymfora
July 28th, 2012, 08:59 PM
I think it's a protien/moisture one, maybe lol. I just finished and hair my hair wrapped in my towel, but I did notice a few things. First I went to quickly rinse it a bit before I shampoo'd and when I was rinsing my shampoo out my hair felt really heavy even after the shampoo was rinsed, then I put in my conditioner and put it up with my clip while I showered. After I was done washing I rinsed out my conditioner and again my hair was really heavy and I had to hold it a bit because of the weight change. I'm not sure if this whole having my hair feel heavier is good or bad though lol. I'll have to see how it goes once it's dried.

I used the Aroy - D Lite Coconut Milk, which was on sale here for $1.68 so I bought just two for now.

PixxieStix
July 28th, 2012, 09:46 PM
My hair LOVES coconut milk, just loves it. I hope yours does too!

lilliemer
July 28th, 2012, 09:57 PM
I have used coconut milk twice now. I approached it with caution because I believe my hair is protein sensitive so I did not want to overdo it.

The first time I used half a can that was left over from a recipe and sitting in the fridge, so the fat/cream had floated to the top. I skimmed most of it off before putting the residual milk in my hair. I dipped my ends in the milk (about up to ear level), left it in for just a few minutes, and got nice results. The second time I used full fat coconut milk and got REALLY greasy immediately afterward, so I had to clarify it all out, kind of defeating the purpose of doing the treatment in the first instance. I have very dry hair and it's usually kind of challenging to over-oil it, but the full fat coconut milk over-oiled it in an instant.

Next time I do this I will be using the "lite" stuff for sure, or to save some money I guess I can skim the fat or cream off the top of regular.

Nymfora
July 28th, 2012, 10:15 PM
My hair is almost dry but I have it in my sleep braid since I'm about to go to bed, I also added a tiny amount of coconut oil to my tassle, about a rice sized amount. While I braided it I noticed it felt nice and soft. I can't wait to see what it looks like in the morning.

Loviatar
July 29th, 2012, 01:54 PM
I really want to try coconut milk. My hair is a bit fussy about oil though so I think I'll also try the light version first. Looking forward to results!

MaryMarx
July 29th, 2012, 02:02 PM

Oooh, I wish I had a bathtub so that I could try that, sounds just great.

earthnut
July 29th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Next time I do this I will be using the "lite" stuff for sure, or to save some money I guess I can skim the fat or cream off the top of regular.

Just mix cocnut milk 1:1 with water and voila! lite coconut milk. :bluesmile:

lmfbs
July 29th, 2012, 09:57 PM
I hope your hair is amazing in the morning. Mine hates coconut milk :( I was hoping for good things, but no.

Nymfora
July 29th, 2012, 10:09 PM
My hair in the morning once I took my braid out was nice and soft and had some volume to it. I also noticed it wasn't as frizzy as it normally is after hair wash day. So it looks like it works for me, but I think I can only do this about once a month since the small town I live in doesn't sell coconut milk so I'll have to pick up some during our main grocery every month or two maybe :)