PDA

View Full Version : Biggest changes, besides length.

Hollyfire3
July 28th, 2012, 11:35 AM
What is your biggest improvment in your hair since you came to LHC? Well, besides length because you would get that anyway (unless you cut it all off as it grows?) For me, so far, my biggest change has been thickness. My hair is finally growing in after so much breakage, the ends and length have a bit to go before they are looking healthy, but the new growth is crazy!

blondie9912
July 28th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Definitely health/durability! My fine hair used to snap all the time, but with regular trims and coconut oil (not to mention wearing it up frequently) my hair health has drastically improved :)

cowgirllong
July 28th, 2012, 11:56 AM
I would say the general condition of my hair has changed. When I discovered this place, I started learning how to treat my hair nicely. :) Not ripping a pick through it when wet was probably a huge improvement all by itself, lol.

moon2dove
July 28th, 2012, 12:21 PM
What is your biggest improvment in your hair since you came to LHC? Well, besides length because you would get that anyway (unless you cut it all off as it grows?) For me, so far, my biggest change has been thickness. My hair is finally growing in after so much breakage, the ends and length have a bit to go before they are looking healthy, but the new growth is crazy!

Same as ^^^^ Thickness for me has been the most obvious, along with health and the way I treat my hair. :D

Hollyfire3
July 28th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Same as ^^^^ Thickness for me has been the most obvious, along with health and the way I treat my hair. :D

Yes, it seems that the simplest changes can have the biggest effects on our hair. :)

Madora
July 28th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Wearing it up in a loosely braided bun on top of my head (instead of two plaits which I did for decades) speeded up having to deal with any tangles. Now, it only takes less than a minute to detangle! Yay!!!

brave
July 28th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Probably just general health. I am noticing a lot of new hairs pop up, which is both rewarding and enraging.

secondrain
July 28th, 2012, 12:58 PM
My hair sheds much less and my scalp is much healthier.

I've battled itching and flaking for years so it's amazing to find that something as simple as CO washing would cure it in a matter of weeks. I get dermatitis on my hands from strong detergents so I feel rather silly for not making a connection between shampoo and scalp issues sooner.

blaketob
July 28th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Deffinately overall health. Not using heat has helped my dry brittle breaking hair into pretty healthy hair

Amber_Maiden
July 28th, 2012, 01:15 PM
My hair became drier. I think it's because of the natural products I used... I was very committed, and kept using them, even as my hair became drier. Ah well, live and learn. I still use natural products, but not the same ones as before.

Loviatar
July 28th, 2012, 01:24 PM
General condition for me. I can now run a fine tooth comb through my wet hair with no breaks or tangles post-washing.

(This is, however, only through shampoo bar washing. Regular S&C means I still need to finger detangle then wide tooth comb first. I usually still wide-tooth after shampoo bar washes, too, but I figured I could try the fine-tooth method and see if it worked. It worked like a hot knife through butter! I love shampoo bars.)

My hair is so shiny these days, too. Oh, and my nails grow like weeds due to the bars and my vitamin.

The other biggest change: I never have any money as I buy too many hair accessories. :lol:

lundmir
July 28th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Thickness, shine and styles! I'd just leave it loose before. Now I'm addicted to braids.

Edit: I also had a major texture change. I used to be 1a, now I'm 1c/2a?

akilina
July 28th, 2012, 01:34 PM
My biggest improvement is knowledge of alternative hair care routines :) I love that part about it.
I guess the over all health of my hair HAS improved. I have been here for 3 years but I tend to stray sometimes up to a year at a time. But this time I have stayed with you guys for the whole year and a few months extra.
Since my chop last year, being kinder to my hair has resulted in thicker hair. Not much thicker than before, but I am not damaging it so much and it is not breaking off. :] Before my ends were very sparse and frazzled.

ladylowtide
July 28th, 2012, 01:42 PM
For me. Just not cutting it is the number one. I always hated how thin my hair looked. I realized now that there were two reasons for that:

1) thinning shears and aggressive layering. ok things but not if you want a bunch of hair.

2) not using traditional hair dye. my hair has been bleached and dyed over and over since I was fourteen. Now a 1.5 years since my last dye, (I henna now), I have tons of new fine hairs growing in (they are about 4.5 inches long) all over my scalp. I honestly think these because they were finer than the rest of my hair, just dissolved off every time I triple bleached and dyed.

Started in November with 2.75" pony. Now I am at a 3.5" :cheese:

lunalocks
July 28th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Overall health, yes: less breakage, less splits, stronger hairs. But also waves! partly because of my hair becoming gradually wavier as time goes by (thank you, menopause!) but using oils, especially baby/mineral oil enhances the waves.

Hollyfire3
July 28th, 2012, 03:11 PM
My hair became drier. I think it's because of the natural products I used... I was very committed, and kept using them, even as my hair became drier. Ah well, live and learn. I still use natural products, but not the same ones as before.

Intresting, I admire your persistence even if it didn't work all the way. :) Glad you found what does work now though, that is always such a great feeling.

jacqueline101
July 28th, 2012, 03:35 PM
I'd say growing out my spiral perm. It was put in two years ago it took forever to grow out. I'd say improving health.

lapushka
July 28th, 2012, 04:17 PM
The biggest improvement is the texture. Knowing how to deal with wavy hair is priceless.

Xandergrammy
July 28th, 2012, 04:24 PM
The biggest change for me is actually my total acceptance and appreciation of the hair I have. Yes, I stopped coloring my hair 4 months after joining LHC, but I really learned to love my natural hair for the first time in 50 years!

Silverbrumby
July 28th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Not hating my hair. The last few days I've just been so frustrated. So much work to just get it looking decent. I just bun it in frustration. Hate the frizz, trying to get curl but I hate the curl. It looks awful and no method except blow drying and then bunning has help.

Blah... probably shouldn't be posting today.

neko_kawaii
July 28th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Shine and styles!

KwaveT
July 28th, 2012, 06:52 PM
The way that I treat my hair and thickness and texture of hair since I started MSM last September.

proo
July 28th, 2012, 07:23 PM
A general upswing in my entire health and happiness.

proo
July 28th, 2012, 07:24 PM
And lots of interesting creative ideas.
Coincidence? I think not.

Sarahlabyrinth
July 28th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Probably extra thickness - but definitely shine and learning how to banish THE FRIZZ. And learning lots of lovely styles too.
Also probably wouldn't have gained enough confidence to grow out hair colour if I wasn't on here.

earthnut
July 28th, 2012, 08:35 PM
No more split ends! :D More moisturized hair too.

Also, I always wanted to color/highlight my hair, not all over necessitating touch ups, but just streaks for fun. I've learned ways to do that while keeping my hair healthy! Less afraid of playing with my hair, because I know how to do it right!

owlathena
July 28th, 2012, 08:40 PM
I know you said "besides length" but I'm going to go ahead and say length anyway :p

If it weren't for the support and inspiration of lhc, I wouldn't be able to resist those scissors (still can't sometimes...)

Hollyfire3
July 28th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Wow! So many sucessful changes! This truly is more proof that LHC is wonderful because of the wonderful people on here who support and help!

Kyla
July 28th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Softer hair and much less splits (although after 16 months since my last trim, they're still there. :p )

Nymfora
July 28th, 2012, 09:16 PM
The biggest change for is finally getting my thinning/bald section healthier and it seems to be growing in now :D My hair is WAY softer since I started here at LHC and using all my fun oils and experimenting with other natural goodies!! I just love my hair so much now and I'm very happy with it and the fun styles I am still learning here. This place rocks :rockerdud

OrganicJewel
July 28th, 2012, 09:23 PM
I haven't been here long, so I'm sure there are so many more improvements to come, but softness, smoothness and general health. I thought I knew about hair, but now I know SO much more, LHC rocks my socks! :rockerdud

mzBANGBANG
July 28th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Giving up heat which I used to use religiously. I say giving up but what I mean is using it is a rare occasion for me. Damp bunning is my new favorite styling tool. Also, now I feel like I can get highlights without a trim because I have better maintenance knowledge.

I actually like having an oily scalp because brushing it down my length keeps my hair so healthy.

So many new things I never thought I would like :)

Asprettyasme
July 28th, 2012, 09:40 PM
#error

#An error occurred.

lmfbs
July 28th, 2012, 09:59 PM
My biggest change is realising that my hair is a lot more curly than I ever thought it was. My hair is in better condition than it's ever been, and I've realised that my hair actually grows a lot quicker than I thought - it was just breaking off before!

aisha.christine
July 28th, 2012, 10:33 PM
Just general health. :D
I used to let my friend demolish my hair before I came here.

Neneka
July 28th, 2012, 11:34 PM
It's now healthy and shiny without being stringly. It has also got thicker after I started combing and brushing it more gently.

Ambystoma
July 29th, 2012, 01:33 AM
Way less split ends! When my hair was long last time even though it looked very healthy, I'd sit down to do an S&D once a week or so (funnily enough, it was something I came up with on my own - I called it "going on a split end safari" :lol:) and I'd always find ~20 or so.

Now I do it once a month and last time I found just 4!

MissAlida
July 29th, 2012, 03:49 AM
I've gained thickness but lost lenght. I also learned to embrace my curls, and make them look thick and shiny( get way more compliments on my hair when worn curly, than straight).:)

Tota
July 29th, 2012, 04:23 AM
My biggest change is the amazing health of my scalp. When I first joined here I had very sensitive and oily scalp. I had scabs and flakes all over it - they even spread to my forehear :( It itched and hurt and nothing really helped me. Now I have no scalp issues at all and I think I cherish this more than length gain.

FrannyG
July 29th, 2012, 04:30 AM
I joined here 6 years ago, and you can clearly see that I don't have 6 years worth of new length. However, I have had wonderful changes since I really started taking proper care of my hair.

Before LHC I had split ends, even well above my shoulder line. I also had a lot of breakage. My hair had a 2.25 inch circumference.

Now I have no split ends (even when seeking them with a magnifying glass). Every hair that comes out of my head has a root on it. I no longer experience breakage. My hair now has a 3 inch circumference.

The best thing of all: I learned to really love my hair type after fighting against it for over 30 years. :heartbeat

bunzfan
July 29th, 2012, 05:02 AM
The biggest improvement is the texture. Knowing how to deal with wavy hair is priceless.

^^ this for years i just straightened it and used loads of cones to make my brillo pad hair softer and less triangle head:lol: since i joined i learnt about co washing and what to do with it to stop the frizz ..oh and oils my hair loves oils.

The biggest though was that you don't need to cut it so much.

sometimesginger
July 29th, 2012, 01:17 PM
The biggest improvement is definitely in thickness and durability. It used to be thin and break easily, but now it is a lot stronger and my ponytail is thicker by half an inch :D

CurlyCurves
July 29th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Def the thickness. Hope you guys don't mind the pics (sorry about the size), but here is my hair when I first went natural. I wasn't happy with the lack of volume. I had that patch on the back of my head that was very thin.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/263846_2257866646571_194704_n.jpg

As you can see, it's filled out a lot. And my hair was still slightly damp here.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/524542_4400385968215_1160951856_n.jpg

briles
July 29th, 2012, 01:52 PM
My biggest change has to be the shine. I'm still very new so some changes aren't evident yet but CWC has made my hair shine like crazy.

AnqeIicDemise
July 29th, 2012, 02:19 PM
I found myself taking care of not only my hair but the rest of my body as well. I never realized how dry my body skin was or how horrible I was feeling until I started focusing on my hair.

I have my ups and my downs but generally I have an overall upward look on life now, as well as a bit more energy than I used to.

Pandora.
July 29th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Shine and softness by far! In the space of about a year I went from having almost severely damaged hair that was dry, split and felt like straw to having soft and smooth hair. :)

vindo
July 29th, 2012, 05:05 PM
It is healthier, in the past I never knew about sulfates and cones and switching helped a lot. I also grew out dye, more than once, but now my hair is natural down to my waist at least.
I had also grown out layers and improved some thickness, but my 2 sheds (lost 1" circumference the first time) ruined that for me.