PDA

View Full Version : Dry, rough scalp HELP!

louzen
July 28th, 2012, 07:56 AM
I've had a dry/rough scalp for about 8 months now (I think I've had it longer but I didn't take much notice of things before then) and I can't seem to get rid of it. The scalp doesn't feel tight and hardly flakes (just a very small amount that isn't noticeable), it's not itchy, but in some areas the scalp feels very rough and like sandpaper to the touch. The area seems hardened and scaly, but when you look at the scalp, there is nothing there apart from a little redness. This area is at the crown.

I heavily oil about 2-3 times a week with jojoba and emu oil and leave overnight. The oiling does seem to help somewhat. I then wash it out with CO. I used to use a non-sulfate, mild detergent shampoo specifically for dry skin which made it worse, but since switching to CO, it seemed to get a lot better which I was so pleased about but then it came back for some reason (the only change to my regime was a vinegar rinse, which I stopped). I have suspicions that my water company have added more chlorine to the water supply during the heatwave, but I can't prove this. My water is very hard, but I've always lived in a hard water area since birth.

I have a really healthy diet and eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, omega 3, olive oil, daily fresh vegetable/fruit juices, nuts, chicken, fish, etc. I've been to the doctor and dermatologist and both don't know what it is. My blood work has come back all ok, except I was a little low on zinc which I corrected about 7 months ago.

I'm not stressed and don't use any products on my hair, ever. I have never dyed my hair and the condish I use has a minimal number of ingredients with no drying alcohols.

Also, the places where I have this dry, rough, hardened skin on my scalp I have less hair so looks like it's been interfering with hair growth, whatever it is :cry: I used to think it was eczema, but now I'm not too sure.

I think my next line of action might be steroid, but I really wanted to avoid it if I could.

I'm going to buy a shower filter very soon to see if this makes a difference, but does anyone else have this problem, and what did they do to solve the problem? If you used steroid, did it help?

Help from anyone would be very much appreciated since I'm literally at my wits end with it. Trying to find a solution to this is emotionally and physically draining :(

millyaulait
July 28th, 2012, 08:14 AM
I'm sorry you're having to go through this... :(

I had a similar problem, although it sounds like mine was less severe...

I exfoliated my scalp with olive oil + sugar and it helped immensely.

It might make do & ease some of the discomfort before/while you think about anything steroidal.

Sorry I can't be of any other help, I hope someone with lots of experience comes along. :flower:

louzen
July 28th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Thanks millyaulait for your kind words. :flower:

I hope I can get some help to - I know it sounds silly but I've spent many a night crying about this. I think the impeding hair growth is what is upsetting me most :(

ETA: The sugar scrub sounds interesting - could you please give me a bit more information about how you do it (how long you scrub for, how much sugar you use, do you leave it on afterwards, etc). I was going to use salicylic acid to remove the dead hard skin, but this looks like it's doing a similar thing but is less harsh.

XcaliburGirl
July 28th, 2012, 08:31 AM
If you want to sooth the dryness, you can try aloe vera gel. I found it very soothing when my scalp felt dry from too much harsh shampoo.

How long ago did you start CO?

It's not silly to be upset about it. It's scary to think that something might be blocking your hair growth. It may just be a temporary problem and I'm sure you will soon get some more replies on here with ideas for fixing the issue.

arielįgua
July 28th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Hello. I'm so sorry for what's happening to you. :(

You said you have hard water, couldn't it be it that's leaving some kind of mineral residue on your scalp and maybe the conditioner is not enough to take it out? Just a thought.

I think like millyaulait said, you could try to exfoliate your scalp to improve new cells reproduction. :)
Do try to use the water filter as well and see if it helps. Good luck!

Sorry if I'm not being very helpful, but since you're doing everything so right it's hard to the real factor that's causing you this discomfort. :( Hope you find out the cause soon.

louzen
July 28th, 2012, 08:56 AM
If you want to sooth the dryness, you can try aloe vera gel. I found it very soothing when my scalp felt dry from too much harsh shampoo.

How long ago did you start CO?

It's not silly to be upset about it. It's scary to think that something might be blocking your hair growth. It may just be a temporary problem and I'm sure you will soon get some more replies on here with ideas for fixing the issue.

Thanks XcaliburGirl. Funny you should say that, I just bought some pure aloe vera gel from here http://www.amazon.co.uk/100g-99-9%25-Pure-Aloe-Vera/dp/B004ROQCP2/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1343487275&sr=8-7 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/100g-99-9%25-Pure-Aloe-Vera/dp/B004ROQCP2/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1343487275&sr=8-7). I asked them for the ingredients and its 99.99% aloe vera gel and 0.01% water, so no preservatives/alcohols in it which is good. I'm going to give this a try as soon as it arrives next week.

ETA: I started CO about 1 month and a half ago

lapushka
July 28th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Also, the places where I have this dry, rough, hardened skin on my scalp I have less hair so looks like it's been interfering with hair growth, whatever it is :cry: I used to think it was eczema, but now I'm not too sure.

I think my next line of action might be steroid, but I really wanted to avoid it if I could.

I'm sorry I can't help you. I wouldn't know what this is either. It even has the doctor stumped. :o If there's less hair on the scalp where this occurs, then yes, I'd go at it with everything the doctor prescribed, even if that means steroids. I've had to use them for a short while also, back when my scalp got burned from chemical dye gone terribly wrong, and it helped. Don't be afraid to use whatever's been prescribed to you, that's all I'm saying.

louzen
July 28th, 2012, 09:02 AM
So far I have the following list to try (in order - will try the next thing on the list if it doesn't work)

Sugar and olive oil scrub
Water filter
Salicylic acid
Steroid

louzen
July 28th, 2012, 09:10 AM
I'm sorry I can't help you. I wouldn't know what this is either. It even has the doctor stumped. :o If there's less hair on the scalp where this occurs, then yes, I'd go at it with everything the doctor prescribed, even if that means steroids. I've had to use them for a short while also, back when my scalp got burned from chemical dye gone terribly wrong, and it helped. Don't be afraid to use whatever's been prescribed to you, that's all I'm saying.

I guess I don't have a high view of doctors and dermatologists since they offered me ridiculous solutions to the problem without having a clue what I had. My doctor recommended I take nerve suppressing tablets and the dermatologist recommended I leave a sulfate shampoo on my scalp overnight! The LHC members have tons more knowledge than them!

I always told myself that I would use steroid if all other natural treatments didn't work. I was scared it would make my situation worse as I heard steroids can make the issue come back with a vengeance, even though it solves it temporarily. However, it looks like I'll have no choice if all other treatments fail to work.

louzen
July 28th, 2012, 09:12 AM
I tried rinsing my hair with spring water yesterday as a final rinse, to see if that helped but it didn't.

I'll keep you guys updated on all that I try, in case someone else has the same problem and they stumble upon this thread.

louzen
August 3rd, 2012, 11:57 AM
Bumping to see if anyone has more ideas :brickwall

catamonica
August 3rd, 2012, 01:00 PM
I mix olive oil, 2 capfuls & water in a spray bottle. Leave on five minutes. Then shampoo. I added two capfuls of olive oil to my shampoo & conditioner. And Aloe Vera Gel to my conditioner. And I put conditioner in my hair twice, in the shower. It helps my dry hair. It's all good. Hope this helps.

louzen
August 3rd, 2012, 01:24 PM
Thanks catamonica for the advice. I haven't tried EVOO for a long while so might try it again tonight to see how it goes. I'll then wash it out with my conditioner mixed with aloe vera. How much aloe vera do you add to your conditioner?

louzen
August 15th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Bumping to see if anyone else has more ideas. The oiling and scrubbing doesn't seem to work. I have a bottle of betacap steroid lotion next to me which I'm very tempted to use but also cautious. Was wondering if anyone else has used steroids on their scalp before, why they used it and if it helped their problem. I've heard horror stories of the problem coming back with a vengeance after you use steroid, but not sure if it's true.

DinaAG
August 15th, 2012, 01:52 PM
may be u had an allergy not necessary something new u tried sometimes it could happen becoz our body suddenly refuses something we r even used 2 use, what about stopping a product at each time and c how ur scalp will react 2 its absence?

Othala
August 16th, 2012, 03:01 AM
louzen, I don't know if this will help you at all but it might be worth a shot if you are willing to put up with the smell.

I have had scalp problems recently (contact dermatitis according to the doc) which cleared up by itself but I have developed a very dry and itchy scalp a few days ago.

I have found great relief by applying cold, non-fat yoghurt (from Morrisons) to my scalp (and slapping plenty of it on) and working it in and then putting a disposable shower cap over it.

I found that the longer this is left on, the better. I then just rinse off with cool water and I have been doing a final "dip" into a basin of cool water with some essential oils dispersed in it to counter-act any remaining yoghurt-y smell.

It has really helped me. Might it work for you?

Best wishes and hugs.

lmfbs
August 16th, 2012, 04:31 AM
If you scritch the area, do large thick bits flake off? I'm wondering if it could be very condensed seborrheic dermatitis? Mine will turn into very rough areas if I don't scritch.

MissAlida
August 16th, 2012, 04:52 AM
I have almost the same problem. I have been using a harsh shampoo because it's the only thing that tames my shed. But it also turns my scalp into this flaky, itchy mess. So what I've found to solve the problem: I put conditoner all over my head and hair, massage it into my scalp real well (it's cone free), put on a shower cap and a towel, and leave it for as long as I can. I found that one hour is best. Then, without rinsing the conditioner out, I wet my scalp a bit and apply the shampoo, and massage well to get the dirt and dead skin to lift. I rinse it all off, do a white vinegar rinse (also very soothing for both scalp and hair), do a final cold water rinse and air dry. This has helped me immensely, my scalp is happy and healthy. I still have a shed that's over the normal, but it's caused by stress. Don;t go on steroids if you are not forced to. Try everything else, use that as a last resort.:)

Othala mentioned yoghurt. It's a pretty good idea, just stear clear of the fatty stuff.

louzen
August 19th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Hi all, Many thanks for your help and support

may be u had an allergy not necessary something new u tried sometimes it could happen becoz our body suddenly refuses something we r even used 2 use, what about stopping a product at each time and c how ur scalp will react 2 its absence?

Well, the flare up of dermatitis happened after a hairdresser sprayed some kind of volumising spray on my scalp so you're right there DinaAG. That was 9 months ago now and I'm still trying to sort my scalp out! But I think I had mild dermatitis before that happened from SLS shampoos but didn't realise it since I never paid attention to my hair or scalp back in those days

louzen, I don't know if this will help you at all but it might be worth a shot if you are willing to put up with the smell.

I have had scalp problems recently (contact dermatitis according to the doc) which cleared up by itself but I have developed a very dry and itchy scalp a few days ago.

I have found great relief by applying cold, non-fat yoghurt (from Morrisons) to my scalp (and slapping plenty of it on) and working it in and then putting a disposable shower cap over it.

I found that the longer this is left on, the better. I then just rinse off with cool water and I have been doing a final "dip" into a basin of cool water with some essential oils dispersed in it to counter-act any remaining yoghurt-y smell.

It has really helped me. Might it work for you?

Best wishes and hugs.

Thanks for the advice Othala. I'll definitely give this a go and report back. I have emu oil on my scalp at the moment so will try it during the week. Emu oil seems to work beautifully, but after about 4 days my scalp is back to being dry again!

If you scritch the area, do large thick bits flake off? I'm wondering if it could be very condensed seborrheic dermatitis? Mine will turn into very rough areas if I don't scritch.

In some areas, small light flakes come off if I scritch. I also have some visible flaking which I scratch gently off my scalp. The flaking doesn't come back though until I wash my hair again. On my crown area, I can feel thickened, rough skin which no amount of oiling or scritching will remove (no flakes there either). I wonder what this is? Eczema? Hardened sebum? I'm still trying to figure it out so I can work out the best treatment.

I have almost the same problem. I have been using a harsh shampoo because it's the only thing that tames my shed. But it also turns my scalp into this flaky, itchy mess. So what I've found to solve the problem: I put conditoner all over my head and hair, massage it into my scalp real well (it's cone free), put on a shower cap and a towel, and leave it for as long as I can. I found that one hour is best. Then, without rinsing the conditioner out, I wet my scalp a bit and apply the shampoo, and massage well to get the dirt and dead skin to lift. I rinse it all off, do a white vinegar rinse (also very soothing for both scalp and hair), do a final cold water rinse and air dry. This has helped me immensely, my scalp is happy and healthy. I still have a shed that's over the normal, but it's caused by stress. Don;t go on steroids if you are not forced to. Try everything else, use that as a last resort.:)

Othala mentioned yoghurt. It's a pretty good idea, just stear clear of the fatty stuff.

Yes, I've done something similar with CWC which helped a lot. I currently CO which keeps my scalp happy but I dont leave the condish on for a long time. Might try leaving it on for longer or doing an SMT (haven't tried this yet but heard good stuff about it)

ravenreed
August 19th, 2012, 10:39 AM
An article (http://news.yahoo.com/popular-dandruff-treatment-may-worsen-condition-researchers-135847494.html) just hit the news that using non-mineral oils may make dandruff worse. Since the cause of your condition is unknown, perhaps laying off the oils a while might help, or switching to MO. If it is a yeast overgrowth, perhaps the Monistat thread might offer some advice to help. It could also be allergies. Allergies can sneak up on you and cause a reaction to something you have used a hundred times with no problems. I had a room mate who was allergic to chlorine, so every time she showered she was left with dry, itchy skin. Did you ever try the shower filter? You could also try leaving out the AVG for a while. Some folks are allergic to aloe vera since it contains a natural latex.

I know my flaky scalp was mostly do to being sensitive to SLS. My skin is much happier since I ditched all SLS products. It is hard though, since it is in a lot of body wash, hand soaps, and of course, shampoos.